HD DVD blows 04/18/2006

Any word when there are going to be more movies released? The prospect of high definition disk is nice but with only three movies, I'd have to call this a terrible launch.

WARNER HOME VIDEO - HD DVD TITLES

Title Street Date
----------------------------------------------------------
Batman Begins 3/28/2006
Constantine 3/28/2006
Million Dollar Baby 3/28/2006
Phantom of the Opera 3/28/2006
Twister 3/28/2006
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 4/11/2006
The Last Samurai 4/11/2006
Lethal Weapon 4/11/2006
Training Day 4/11/2006
Unforgiven 4/11/2006
Goodfellas 4/25/2006
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 4/25/2006
The Matrix 4/25/2006
Swordfish 4/25/2006
Syriana 4/25/2006
Blazing Saddles 5/09/2006
Dukes of Hazzard 5/09/2006
Full Metal Jacket 5/09/2006
Rumor Has It 5/09/2006
Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines 5/09/2006
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 5/16/2006
The Green Mile Special Edition 5/16/2006
Ocean's Twelve 5/16/2006
Troy 5/16/2006

PLANNED WARNER HOME VIDEO - BLU-RAY TITLES
"Batman Begins"
"Charlie & The Chocolate Factory"
"Constantine"
"The Dukes of Hazzard"
"The Last Samurai"
"Lethal Weapon"
"The Matrix"
"Million Dollar Baby"
"Oceans 12"
"Swordfish"
"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"
"Training Day"
"Troy"
"Twister"
"Unforgiven"

source

I notice the list you posted has the expected Blu Ray titles. When is Blu Ray supposed to launch? I have gotten tired of waiting for these things. Both have been pushed back so many times that I just lost interest. Good to see something finally come out. Now that one is out, Blu Ray may have a reason to stop delaying.

I can't tell if the original post is sarcastic or not. Does HDDVD blow? Am I reading this incorrectly?

Staples said:
Any word when there are going to be more movies released? The prospect of high definition disk is nice but with only three movies, I'd have to call this a terrible launch.

When DVD launched, there was barely anything out for it. I remember when I bought Tomorrow Never Dies and that was one of maybe 30 or so? movies out for DVD. And it cost $30. Oh my god, I can't believe I paid that much for that movie.

phoderpants said:
When DVD launched, there was barely anything out for it. I remember when I bought Tomorrow Never Dies and that was one of maybe 30 or so? movies out for DVD. And it cost $30. Oh my god, I can't believe I paid that much for that movie.

QFT. ppl are acting like HDDVD is going to kill of regular DVDs overnight, but it isn't. I'm expecting at least 2+ years before these become mainstream - you're not going to be able to play them in your PC until at least January next year.

I think a lot of people don't remember the dvd launch - I know I don't, I came to the party in 2000 which was still fairly early, but prices had started to become reasonable by that stage. Even then it was only because my work-provided laptop had a dvd player and TV-out.

yeah, until the players go mainstream, the title libraries won't be huge. I am starting to get excited about it though. HD movies!!!

Your missing one title, there are four HD-DVD titles out right now.
Serenity!

Also remember that Warner Bros is the only one that has said they will support downscaling movies for analog sources.

I noticed those titles were available for rental on Netflix too. Netflix also mentioned getting Blu-Ray discs also for rental.

Staples said:
I notice the list you posted has the expected Blu Ray titles. When is Blu Ray supposed to launch? I have gotten tired of waiting for these things. Both have been pushed back so many times that I just lost interest. Good to see something finally come out. Now that one is out, Blu Ray may have a reason to stop delaying.
check this link for blue ray players

CrimandEvil said:
Your missing one title, there are four HD-DVD titles out right now.
Serenity!

Also remember that Warner Bros is the only one that has said they will support downscaling movies for analog sources.

Yeppers, Serenity is the single most important HD-DVD title... :)

Must resist early adopter temptation, especially considering I don't have Serenity. HA I can get work to buy one for R&D purposes and to see how it will integrate!

IanG said:
QFT. ppl are acting like HDDVD is going to kill of regular DVDs overnight, but it isn't. I'm expecting at least 2+ years before these become mainstream - you're not going to be able to play them in your PC until at least January next year.

I think a lot of people don't remember the dvd launch - I know I don't, I came to the party in 2000 which was still fairly early, but prices had started to become reasonable by that stage. Even then it was only because my work-provided laptop had a dvd player and TV-out.
And my family just got done switching all our VHS to DVDs, and my mom is still getting the disney movies on dvd as they come out. Now their going to be replaced??? This is bull.

So did anyone order one?

My parents are thinking of getting one around Christmas for our Samsung 30in Slimfit LCD TV. It does 720p and 1080i...

hity645 said:
And my family just got done switching all our VHS to DVDs, and my mom is still getting the disney movies on dvd as they come out. Now their going to be replaced??? This is bull.
No, they're not going to be replaced. The DVDs you have now will play just fine on your existing player and the new HDDVD/BluRay players. If you feel like getting the HD version you'll have to pay, but early indications are that there's not a great quality difference between an upconverted dvd and a HD-DVD.

HD-Dvd blows because ? they didnt make every single movie in HD over night, please it took even block buster a long while to adopt a complete dvd library, they still carried vhs tapes a long time. Me Personally get sick of the format war, I like the blue ray technology sure but its not like hd-dvd isnt good either. But more than anything im waiting for players than support both formats, wouldnt it be silly to have to buy two dvd players.

you can walk into best buy right now and see a toshiba hd dvd player being in use. Our store has it hooked up to a 42'' Westinghouse 1080p LCD. Serenity looks amazing on it !!!

pates03 said:
you can walk into best buy right now and see a toshiba hd dvd player being in use. Our store has it hooked up to a 42'' Westinghouse 1080p LCD. Serenity looks amazing on it !!!
nice. It'd be nice if the LVM-37w3 would get restocked. Everwhere I look is out of stock and I want one. :)

btw if you are deciding to buy hd dvd wait because they are going to release dual format players i think that will play both blue ray and hd dvd disks so you don't get stuck with a box that only plays certain movies

pates03 said:

ahh Shiet! why'd you have to say that! ... I was enjoying everyone dissing the new format!!!

IanG said:
No, they're not going to be replaced. The DVDs you have now will play just fine on your existing player and the new HDDVD/BluRay players. If you feel like getting the HD version you'll have to pay, but early indications are that there's not a great quality difference between an upconverted dvd and a HD-DVD.

i thought that blu-ray was not backwards compatible? guess i was mistaken.

IanG said:

So then this isn't going to follow the dvd take over of VHS with better quality video. Cause if thats the case then Im sure it will go the same, I only see a handful of new releases (if any!!!) on VHS at the store.

FlyinBrian said:
HD-Dvd blows because ? they didnt make every single movie in HD over night, please it took even block buster a long while to adopt a complete dvd library, they still carried vhs tapes a long time. Me Personally get sick of the format war, I like the blue ray technology sure but its not like hd-dvd isnt good either. But more than anything im waiting for players than support both formats, wouldnt it be silly to have to buy two dvd players.

It was kinda silly to buy a dvd and vhs player...but hey..

vanilla_guerilla said:
i thought that blu-ray was not backwards compatible? guess i was mistaken.
This is a common fallacy. From amazon "What Does This Mean for My Current DVD Collection? The Blu-ray players coming out will be backward compatible and should play your current discs."
The backwards compatibility is on the manufacturing side, as current dvd presses can't easily switch to BluRay, and BluRay also can't do flipper discs (regular dvd on one side, HD content on the other.) The toshiba HD player is also an upconverting dvd player, and at $500 isn't that steep for early adopters.)

About HD discs 'taking over' - I think it will happen, and probably a little bit faster than dvds replaced vhs. VHS was still widely available 5-6 years after dvd was introduced

Toshiba’s commercial release of its HD DVD players in the U.S. has ignited the era of high definition videos in living rooms for the masses. The Blu-ray will commercially launch only in a couple of months and those months that remain before will be enough to allow HD DVD to receive huge publicity among consumers and grab about 70% of high definition DVD players market by year end, believes research firm ABI Research. North America represents by far the most important market for the new high-definition formats, accounting for more than 60% of all HDTVs that ABI Research expects will be shipped during 2006.

The research firm believes that in the short-term future earlier entry to the market and substantially lower price tag will give HD DVD a lead over competing Blu-ray. By the end of 2006, according to the latest update to the firm's Consumer Electronics Research Service, Blu-ray players alone will account for only about 30% of the global high-definition DVD player market, which leaves HD DVD a huge 70% chunk.

source

Well im going to go check out my Best Buy and Circuit City today or tomorrow, and see if they have one on display. I want to see these in action. Then I must resist the tempatation to buy one!!!

I had a DVD when Hollywood Video had a whole five DVDs to rent. Now I'm not sure if they have 5 VHS. That was about '98. My mom still has that player with it's awesome svideo output. The biggest seller was sound. Five channel digital more than slightly blew away the faux pro-lojik on VHS tapes.

What are the actual resolutions? I thought HD-DVD wasn't near a full 1080, but blu-ray was closer.

Fooshnik said:
What are the actual resolutions? I thought HD-DVD wasn't near a full 1080, but blu-ray was closer.
The first batch of HD-DVD releases are all 1080p on the disc, but the player outputs 1080i. It's not a huge deal because no TV can accept a 1080p input (yet.)

Stop with the BBY spam :p
Its odd though, i see that lethal weapon 4 is on that list. I remember it being one of the earlier DVD releases back in the day too

Damn... i was hoping this switch would take a bit longer... Im going to have to start building a hard drive arrray with as many hard drives as i can get my hands on. Hopefully those 960gb drives release soon.. those would be helpful.. Anyone know the exact size of HD and Blue Ray disks?

Narisatu said:
Damn... i was hoping this switch would take a bit longer... Im going to have to start building a hard drive arrray with as many hard drives as i can get my hands on. Hopefully those 960gb drives release soon.. those would be helpful.. Anyone know the exact size of HD and Blue Ray disks?
Dual layer HDDVD are up to 30GB, Dual Layer Blu Ray are up to 50GB. Word was that the initial releases of bluray movies would be single layer only, so up to 25GB. I don't know why you think you need to build a hard drive array just yet - you're going to need vista to watch these discs which won't be released for another 6-7 months, and it'll be a while before theres an equivalent to DVD Decrypter to make ripping them easy (unless you are putting your faith in the 'Managed Copy' feature.)

IanG said:
Dual layer HDDVD are up to 30GB, Dual Layer Blu Ray are up to 50GB. Word was that the initial releases of bluray movies would be single layer only, so up to 25GB. I don't know why you think you need to build a hard drive array just yet - you're going to need vista to watch these discs which won't be released for another 6-7 months, and it'll be a while before theres an equivalent to DVD Decrypter to make ripping them easy (unless you are putting your faith in the 'Managed Copy' feature.)
That's why I sold most of the HDDs on the HTPC I use. I figured that getting past HDCP, and ripping 50 GB disks will cost a lot. Costs include cpu power, hdd space, and time, guessing lots of time to rip a HD-DVD. I'm moving back to optical storage via the initial purchase of the media in store, and not putting it on disks for fingertip access. It was nice for DVD, but HD will be only 14 films on a 700 GiB drive. Plus, running the video thru a program to re-encode will only take longer considering moore's law is hitting the wall, for the time being at least.

No, as Jordi Ribas told me, studios have to offer managed copy, but they have the option of charging for it
interesting

piako} considering moore's law is hitting the wall said:
Not to be difficult, Moore's law is still in full effect. The processes used to make the stuff is going to limit maximum speed and density for a while longer, but the at the same time costs are going down. Cpu's are still doubling ever 18 months and will continue to do so for the near future. And you'll see harddrives gain in capacity so that in time storing these massive video files won't be that difficult.

dekard said:
piako said:
considering moore's law is hitting the wall, for the time being at least.
Not to be difficult, Moore's law is still in full effect. The processes used to make the stuff is going to limit maximum speed and density for a while longer, but the at the same time costs are going down. Cpu's are still doubling ever 18 months and will continue to do so for the near future. And you'll see harddrives gain in capacity so that in time storing these massive video files won't be that difficult.
Actually, given that virtualdub/xvid uses both cores on my Opteron 165, I think that moores law will still apply. It might be that the number of cores doubles every 18 months from now on, but that's still going to speed up encoding.
About hard drive sizes - I think we're actually starting at a better point than when dvd was released. In 1998, a 20 gig hard drive was big (and expensive), which was only 2 or 3 full dvds. Today 300gb is pretty common, which is 10 full HD-DVDs, and it sounds like terabyte drives won't be too far away.

Million Dollar Baby and The Phantom of The Opera are probably the worst two movies I've seen in recent history... Last Samuari kicks ass though.

IanG said:
The first batch of HD-DVD releases are all 1080p on the disc, but the player outputs 1080i. It's not a huge deal because no TV can accept a 1080p input (yet.)

There are a significant number of TVs that accept 1080p. Look around the forums for the westy that everyone loves; its a budget screen and has it.

Back