HCP1200 or AX1200

bmoney9

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
236
Hey all

I know both of these PSU's are very strong although I am aiming for as quiet as possible. So I'm not sure which one is. Any first hand opinions or thoughts?

I am running q6600 oc, 2 6950 in xfire, 200gb HDD, water cooling loop, etc. So obviously 1200w is enough but I want to keep it quiet just like my water cooling.

Thanks
 
Well, the most quiet for that setup would probably be the AX850 (aka X-860) from Corsair (& Seasonic, the ODM/OEM), which completely turns off the fan under a certain load/temp (around 200W continuous load - so in desktop/web/office tasks, the PSU fan doesn't even turn on), and even if it does turn on, it will be very silent (probably among the best active fan PSUs on the comsumer market).

850W would also be more than enough for your setup, in addition to having better efficiency (dunno about DC output quality, but it should be among the best) vs the 2 1200W models.

EDIT: here is a pic of mine. One the left, it a GTAP13 running (at an angle) at full blast for a month. One the right, an AX850 powering a few setups, from GTX570 SLI, HD6990, HD6950, GTX580 to HD5450. (well, to be fair, I just listed all the cards I have run in that short month :p Not kidding either, I spat through GPUs looking for the perfect one (for me).
dsc0271p.jpg
 
o wow..maybe I will just go with an 850w seasonic. I love their products. I don't want to wait for their next like though. I will upgrade to the next gen of video cards. Do you think the seasonic 850 could last another generation?
 
Depends, I have no clue on the next gen, really.

a review like:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4012/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580-the-sli-update

shows GTX580 SLI being easily managed by an 850W, on the flip side, the older GTX480 SLI had spikes upto 851W (though all future cards should have power monitors, so the power monstrocity that is the GTX480 should not be seen again), so... I dunno, really :(

Also, to be clear:

Seasonic:
X-750, X850 (old platform)
X-760, X-860 (new platform)

Corsair
AX750, AX850 (based on Seasonic new platform)
 
750 warrs is enough, 850 watts to be on the safe side.

As far as future generations are concerned, it is very unlikely that AMD or nVidia will make a single card that consumes more than 250 watts stock. So a 850 watt should last any dual GPU setup in the near future.
 
A Seasonic X-760 can handle GTX 580 SLI just fine if you aren't OCing. Also Seasonic's X series PSUs use highly over speced components that work fine above the rated wattage on the PSU.
 
Back
Top