• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Having Problems with XFX 4890

ppilot

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 1, 2003
Messages
99
First off, here are my system specs
Abit ip-35
E6750 at stock speed
4gb G. SKill PIe series ddr2-800
Antec Earthwatts 500w
WD Caviar Black 640gb HD



So I bought a XFX 4890 a little over a month ago to upgrade from my 1950xt and immediately noticed a high pitched ringing that turned into a much more audible squeal when running more graphic intensive games. After doing some research, I found that the squealing often occurs when the PSU is not powerful enough to run the video card, though everything I read said that my PSU should have no problems.

Fast forward to yesterday. When I started up, my monitor turned like like usual, showed the post screeen, showed the windows Vista loading screen, but once start was just about to finish, the LCD went into standby mode and said there was no signal. I reseated the video Card twice, checked to make sure the ram was completely in and still nothing. I was able to log into and start windows using Windows Safe mode. Making sure it was just the card I put my old one back in and everything was fine.

XFX wants me put it into another system to see if it is just my PSU. but none of my friends have builds that would allow me to do this (Most aren't very tech savy). Any advice?
 
Sounds like your power supply is not enough for your system.

I would get a new PSU.

I just did a upgrade thats close to that(Sapphire 4830 to a XFX 4890XT, in system in sig) and my AC 550W PSU was not enough to handle the load. I ended up going with a Corsair 850TX because i intend to go crossfire in the future so wanted to make sure i had enough juice. If staying with one card i would have went with a 650w. my $.02.

Do a google search and you will see that many 500W units are just not enough.
 
Sounds like your power supply is not enough for your system.



Do a google search and you will see that many 500W units are just not enough.
Thanks for the reply. I've looked around and the general consensus is that the Earthwatts 500 should be able to run the card no problem. I am running completely stock right now so there shouldn't be any additional power draw. So i don't this that is the problem. The worry I have is that XFX won't take it because I can't test it on another build, so they wouldn't let me RMA it.
 
That's BS that XFX won't let you rma it. Can't you stick it into your parent or friend's computer?
 
It is somewhat common for large cards to make some kind of noise. It isn't a sign of a failure. It shouldn't be loud but all electronics do make noise whether it is enough to be heard or not. Large cards have more power flowing in a smaller space than ever before.

A good quality 500W power supply should be sufficient for a single 4890 as long as it is functioning properly. Power supplies themselves and voltage regulators, inductors, and capacitors on motherboards can also make a squealing noise. Trying the card in another computer would isolate the noise to the card. If you are unable to try the card in another computer, that would not stop us from RMAing the card and testing it for you. Please PM me your support ticket ID.
 
It is somewhat common for large cards to make some kind of noise. It isn't a sign of a failure. It shouldn't be loud but all electronics do make noise whether it is enough to be heard or not. Large cards have more power flowing in a smaller space than ever before.

A good quality 500W power supply should be sufficient for a single 4890 as long as it is functioning properly. Power supplies themselves and voltage regulators, inductors, and capacitors on motherboards can also make a squealing noise. Trying the card in another computer would isolate the noise to the card. If you are unable to try the card in another computer, that would not stop us from RMAing the card and testing it for you. Please PM me your support ticket ID.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I think his more pressing issue is that the card is not outputting a video signal, unless I read it wrong.
 
Back
Top