Having Problems Overclocking a E6320 and a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 3.3

Nutzy

Limp Gawd
I have tried via Bios, and Eztune software that has came with the Mobo. I am unable to get any type of over clock results. I am using 2 Gig sticks of Patriot Extreme 4-4-4-12. I'm new to overclocking, but every time I follow any guides i just get a restart loop, and have to clear the cmos. I am also currently running XP Pro, with all current updates. I have also noticed I keep getting a Stop error that is annoying from something at the login screen, which is a result from one of the updates, and seems to be another issue all together.

Any help would be appreciated, the only reason I didn't search for this, is because there is no search function that I can find on this forum.

Well, after following different overclocking guides, what sorta voltages and temps are you seeing/using as reported in the BIOS?

What motherboard?

Full system specs?

I also have an E6320 - it does 3.3GHz at stock voltages on my P5K Deluxe @ stock voltage w/Tuniq Tower 120.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor w/ Stock Cooling
Gigabyte 965-DS3 Latest Bios
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) @ 4-4-4-12
Mushkin 550200 ATX12V 550W Power Supply

As for an overclock, I haven't been able to get any to actually go into windows, or POST.

try setting your SATA settings to this.

Plug your drive into one of the Intel SATA ports

Integrated Peripherals
SATA AHCI Mode__________ [Disabled]
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode [Disabled]

If you want to run in ACHI mode with XP you will have to put the drive on the Gigabyte/jmicorn SATA port and install the pre-install driver when the XP install first starts up, (from what I understand of your post, you will have to delete your existing partition and start over) follow the instruction starting on page 64 of your manual, while you will be installing what is called the "raid" driver you are just wanting the AHCI part of it, follow along but when it talks about configuring a raid array you want a standalone disk (non-raid single disk) but under the control of the "raid" driver so you get the ACHI newer command interface to the drive and NCQ if your drive supports it. If you read closely it has comments about using a single disk under raid. Bit confusing but /shrug.

Alright, i'll try that for the BSOD error, but still doesn't help the overclock problem. Thanks for the advice though :]

Set your bios settings to what is shown in this guide. (except the SATA settings )
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030795318

Set your cpu mulitplier to 9
Set your memory mulitplier to 2.0
Set your FSB to 300

Set your Vcore to 1.375
Set you memory voltage to the high end of what your ram manufacturer recommends, it the ram manufacturer just gives one value, for example 1.9V set Vdimm memory voltage to +.1V

Boot and run coretemp and post back.

Thoes settings won't work, being it as i have a 6320, which only has a multiplier of x7

Oc'd to 2100mhz, with core temps at 32C. Tjunction is at 85C. This is with stock voltage of 1.35v.

Spend the $40-50 for a good aftermarket cooler and I imagine life will get much, much easier for you.

Make sure your memory multiplier is set to 2:0, this will have it run 1 to 1 with the processor. This means it will clock the memory to double the FSB freq... if you run the FSB at 300 for example, the memory will clock in at 600mhz... see what i mean?

Im running my E6300 at 3.43ghz and very cool on water... here are my overclock settings, specs are in my sig. Im using the same memory and mobo, so I know that you can overclock, its just a setting issue..

First, make sure all auto throttling for the CPU is turned off in the Advanced BIOS Settings... then go to your Intelligent Tweaker and set your tweaker to Enabled. Now, go to your FSB Freq and change it from 266 to 333. (You need to start small and make sure it POSTS). Go to the memory multiplier and set it to 2:0, and go to volatage control and set to manual. Bump your voltage up to about 1.35v (it will show lower in windows) and set your memory volatage to +0.3v Your Patriot memory is rated at 2.1v and will overclock to 2.5v, but this is not reccomended. 2.1 is fine, I run mine at 2.2v. Your board will automatically set the Mem Voltage to 1.8v and this is to low for the Patriot.

You may notice after a reboot, that you will see that in the PC Status menue, it may say that 1.8v test "Failed" - This is fine, it just recognized that you over voltages the factory settings... Also ignore the "Voltage is not optimized" that is flashing, this is normal..

Once you get it to post with these settings, begin bumping up the core speeds, do this small increments at a time, reccomended about 20mhz at a time on the FSB. As the overclocking gets higher, you may need to losen up the timings... you enable this menu int he BIOS by hitting CTRL+F1 from the main screen of BIOS, then entering the Intelligent Tweaker..

I appologize about any misspellings or errors, its late, and Im tired, but wanted to help. Good luck.

Thank you all for the help, I think I got it from here, just need to find a good heatsink, and a good case now, and I'll be set. :]

Back