Have you lost your gaming interest?

Seems like I'm probably one of the younger ones in the thread (19) but I too have lost interest in gaming. One year into engineering school, internship in the summer, diminishing time to game without much money to buy games...I sold all my desktops, laptops, and related hardware throughout the school year and pocketed around $2500 and bought a fairly high end T430 and truthfully, I'm not disappointed. I occasionally play TF2 or Terraria, but I find that if I buy a game, I won't play it any longer than 5 hours so I don't even waste my money. Recently I bought AoE II HD which is a blast but its novelty will wear off soon.

I just feel it's more gratifying to spend my time reading, biking, working on cars, home improvement, or streaming tv or a movie. I still have an interest in computers, hardware, etc, but as for buying and tinkering, that time is gone for now.

Seems like I'm probably one of the younger ones in the thread (19) but I too have lost interest in gaming. One year into engineering school, internship in the summer, diminishing time to game without much money to buy games...I sold all my desktops, laptops, and related hardware throughout the school year and pocketed around $2500 and bought a fairly high end T430 and truthfully, I'm not disappointed. I occasionally play TF2 or Terraria, but I find that if I buy a game, I won't play it any longer than 5 hours so I don't even waste my money. Recently I bought AoE II HD which is a blast but its novelty will wear off soon.

I just feel it's more gratifying to spend my time reading, biking, working on cars, home improvement, or streaming tv or a movie. I still have an interest in computers, hardware, etc, but as for buying and tinkering, that time is gone for now.

My interest in gaming dropped quite a bit in college because there's so much you experience that's completely new, and you wonder how you ever spent that much time playing games. But the funny thing, in your late twenties those things that were so mind blowing when you were 18 are more routine, and games seem new and exotic again. I didn't play any games from 18 to 26. The last game I played before the hiatus was Half Life 2 on a crappy laptop video card. Then 8 years later on a whim I get a pair of 680s and install The Witcher 2 and BAM. I don't think I've had my tongue on the floor like that since I saw Mario 64 in action for the first time.

I am starting to lose interest in gaming as well. I'm more interested in getting a nice laptop, but on the other hand I kind of also don't want to get rid of my desktop. I have been thinking of just transitioning to playing on a TV and using a controller. But I haven't really had any game really interest me recently.

Yeah I'm 20 right now, and basically just a full time college student and I do make some time on the side to make sure I can get some league of legend games in. I don't really see myself getting bored of video games in the near future, because that is basically where I go to just relax if I had a hard day. If anything, I just wont be playing video games because of classes but that doesn't contribute to me being bored is all. I do have to say that shooters are getting just a tad repetitive for myself. I played a lot of Battlefield/Halo, and I dunno to be honest it really is kind of getting stale, but that's just the genre for me in general.

Yep. Same here, but it's mostly because the novelty wore off. Back then when gaming was mysterious and mystical (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, GTA 3, etc...), I couldn't be helped but to be stuck in that world even if it's just for a moment. Now, I've seen everything that gaming industry has to offer and most of the games play just like the other previous games I've played. So, I've turned my attention to traveling to satisfy my appetite for adventure. :D

Yeah, I also feel like I'm stuck in a rut.

I turned 30 a month ago and I find that even though I want to game, I don't have the energy. But I guess it has to do with the game and the experience. For example, I just devoured Telltale's The Walking Dead this weekend. I loved it!

Before that, it loved Tomb Raider, and I spent all my waking hours thinking about it. But, for some reason, I found myself forcing me to play Bioshock Infinite "because I had to! It's the gamer game to play".

But I have tons of games on my backlog... I just don't "feel like it". I tend to spend my time playing either old school RPG's or things like Poker Night 2, Angry Birds or something that just keeps me occupied but does not need me to concentrate that much.

Also, I experienced MMO burn-out with WoW. I used to play it... schitt, like 5 hours a day, daily. Now I rarely even touch it - don't know why I haven't unsubscribed since MoP came out, heh.

Though lately I've been trying to get into adventure games. Had never really experienced the genre. I liked Primordia, and have The Longest Journey in my sights. I guess now I'm more into "story" kinda games.

The innovation is gone. Why bother upgrading your gaming PC? What's the hot new title that will put new equipment through its paces, and blow you away with new graphical techniques to show you progress and advancement? What awesome new console are you chomping at the bit for, and what amazing titles are you looking forward to?

I tell ya...I read Kotaku, I check out GameTrailers, I've got a dozen or so gaming-news sites on YouTube...and there's nothing that sounds very interesting or interesting. The genre has been mainstreamed into oblivion with DLC, sequels entering grade school, and titles that, at launch, don't work, require an internet connection, and cost a fortune...all in return for gimped gameplay in order to make it work with whatever multiplayer feces was included.

The innovation is gone. Why bother upgrading your gaming PC? What's the hot new title that will put new equipment through its paces, and blow you away with new graphical techniques to show you progress and advancement? What awesome new console are you chomping at the bit for, and what amazing titles are you looking forward to?

I tell ya...I read Kotaku, I check out GameTrailers, I've got a dozen or so gaming-news sites on YouTube...and there's nothing that sounds very interesting or interesting. The genre has been mainstreamed into oblivion with DLC, sequels entering grade school, and titles that, at launch, don't work, require an internet connection, and cost a fortune...all in return for gimped gameplay in order to make it work with whatever multiplayer feces was included.

I hear you, rather then playing new games I'm playing games from the 90's and thinking to myself, damn why haven't games gotten much better since then?

The kick starter games seem the most interesting such as project eternity.

Gaming isn't a way of life for most people, its a hobby. Hobbies change, not that big a deal. Im sure there are deeper psychological reasons behind this "lack of interest" but i think that sums it up in a nut shell.

Today's games are very "been there" "done that", to a lot of of gamers who been gaming for even 7+ years.

I rarely play at all in the summer, maybe an hour or two per week. Been PC gaming for 15 years.

My gaming days or nights I should say, have waned considerably, and not due to being married with the best two little kids in the universe, I blame the same style games, better graphics yes, but same old gameplay, nothing truly new. I have been PC Gaming since the late 80's and awesome games like Talenguard, Eye of the Beholder, etc...

I have gone in heavy phases of [H]ardcore gaming. In the late 90's / early 00's was HUGE into Quake 2 CTF, Quake 3 CTF, and UT99, and BF1942. Then I got burned out, and stopped gaming for couple years. WoW got me hooked big time in 2004, and I was pretty big into it for like 5 years or so, quit playing nightly towards the end of Wrath, now I barely play it at all, maybe one night a month if that, just so burned out on the MMO quest style, of fetching this and that, rinse and repeat X a million :rolleyes: And I have zero interest in Raiding again, to keep up my iLevel gear, just don't give two sh!ts anymore. I am done.

I will admit BF3 got me hooked again into gaming last year. My brothers and I played every weekend together for a few months straight, then we got burned out, and it faded away, now we play it maybe once every month or so. I think I am just burned out on gaming overall, because they feel the same as they did from 10 - 15 years ago, really nothing new, except graphics of course. BattleField 3, at the end of the day, is not radically different than the BF1942 from 11 yrs ago. New MMO's are still copying WoW, that is a decade old almost.

We need another Half Life game, I did love Half Life 2.

Recent big new releases that I should have liked, but thought sucked or were boring;

StarCraft II = it looks almost the same as the original, with slightly updated graphics, but EXACTLY same gameplay :rolleyes: Have they not played Supreme Commander, learned that RTS's have evolved since then.

Diablo ]l[ = major let down, graphics were ok, but always on internet connection :rolleyes: overall boring game to me. I found the cheaper Torchlight ][ much better.

Guild Wars 2 = was really foaming at the mouth for this one, bought it, played for a couple weeks, haven't touched it since last year. Not sure why, but totally boring, did not grab me in.

Duke Nukem Forever = :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Many other titles, that just weren't living up the hype.

My gaming days or nights I should say, have waned considerably, and not due to being married with the best two little kids in the universe, I blame the same style games, better graphics yes, but same old gameplay, nothing truly new. I have been PC Gaming since the late 80's and awesome games like Talenguard, Eye of the Beholder, etc...

I have gone in heavy phases of [H]ardcore gaming. In the late 90's / early 00's was HUGE into Quake 2 CTF, Quake 3 CTF, and UT99, and BF1942. Then I got burned out, and stopped gaming for couple years. WoW got me hooked big time in 2004, and I was pretty big into it for like 5 years or so, quit playing nightly towards the end of Wrath, now I barely play it at all, maybe one night a month if that, just so burned out on the MMO quest style, of fetching this and that, rinse and repeat X a million :rolleyes: And I have zero interest in Raiding again, to keep up my iLevel gear, just don't give two sh!ts anymore. I am done.

I will admit BF3 got me hooked again into gaming last year. My brothers and I played every weekend together for a few months straight, then we got burned out, and it faded away, now we play it maybe once every month or so. I think I am just burned out on gaming overall, because they feel the same as they did from 10 - 15 years ago, really nothing new, except graphics of course. BattleField 3, at the end of the day, is not radically different than the BF1942 from 11 yrs ago. New MMO's are still copying WoW, that is a decade old almost.

We need another Half Life game, I did love Half Life 2.
You do realize that Half Life 2 is almost 10 years old, making it reinforce the entire point of growing out of gaming. You sure you just don't remember liking it and wouldn't want to play it today?

i feel you op. i am the same minus dropping loads of money on needless horsepower i wont use. i don't think it's an age thing at all - i think, for me at least, it's the fact that i can only get excited so much about running around doing the same shit, game after game, with slight changes. it doesn't matter rpg/fps... more often than not it's the same rehashed bs. and let's not mention the hype machine... people buying day one releases and the "professional" streamers on twitch. i wouldn't want to watch movie after movie based on the same formula either (which is the way it goes now... they'd rather make sequels and remake bad movies versus being creative).

OP your post reminds me of myself. I too was a very hardcore WoW player. It was a pretty big interest of mine and I was pretty damn good at the game. I didnt let it ruin my life though. After the 2nd expansion I started to lose interest in the game. It just didn't have the same feel as it use to. I lost interest in it and ever since then I have given up games. I too try and pick up a game here and there but I just dont have any interest in playing anymore. I reminisce about my WoW days and how much fun I had and I think trying to find a game that will bring those days back keeps me from playing any more games. Yes I was a WoW nerd. Judge me :p

I average around 2.5 hours every two weeks playing out of my 800+ games on steam. Once in a while a game will grab my attention (Tomb Raider being one) but as older I get I rather be outside with friends or going to a music event etc. :'(

Last edited:
Back