Have you lost your gaming interest?

I play all my games for oooh and wow factor. That lasts me 10 minutes and then I shelf the game. That's the way I game nowadays.

Yes. Gaming is all but dead to me these days.

I haven't bought a game in 2 years and only received 1 or 2 as gifts.

I just don't like the way the gaming industry has gone so I decide to spend my money elsewhere.

You know, I used to think that I did. I still think that to a degree I have. But I'm going to chalk it up to recent release quality. For the first time in a while (since Skyrim), I was actually sucked into playing Far Cry 3. I actually played it from start to finish - something that I've yet to do in Skyrim. So... I think I'm burned out? But not really. I think that game quality isn't what it used to be.

I can still turn my Sega Genesis on and be sucked right in. But as far as being excited for new releases and anticipating system launches? Pass... I stopped caring after I got my 360, and that was now seven years ago.

I am 23 almost finished college. I don't game nearly as much as I use to. When good games come out I still play them but its only a few times a year. I greatly enjoyed bioshock infinite and played over 5 hours straight one day, first time I did that in a longgg time.

Other than that I play NHL 14 on my Xbox and thats about it.

Kind of funny, I finally built a decent rig after 4 years of gaming on my asus G50, mainly with the intentions of playing DayZ and Crysis 3. I have yet to have even booted DayZ and I only have a few hours in crysis.

Only game I spend more than a few minutes at a time playing these days is MX simulator.

Honestly the majority of the entertainment from my rig has come from benchmarking, overclocking, and testing. Now that I have my stability ranges I stay bored. Once the semester is over I'll be doing some case mods though..

Yeah I have a daughter that is 23, 1 son that is 9 and another that is 11. I also have 2 grand daughters. None of them care about video games. Maybe this is why console game makers, pc industry is worried about phones and tablets. Who knows.

I do know that there will always be a market for big games. People want more than Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds. And while mobile gaming no doubt will take off and be limited to easy casual games for the next 4 - 5 years, phones and tablets will eventually become powerful enough to replace everything in your home. 10 years time, mark my words. Cell phone next to a monitor or TV and it will wireless stream content to that display. Wireless kb / mouse and if you want to download, play and maybe pay for, lets say, Bioshock 6 or 7, you will be able to and it will / should run just as nice, fast and pretty as it does now on your high-end desktop.

Time will tell

Games were the only reason I got into a career with computers. At 16 I build my first computer (Pentium 166) to run Wolfenstein 3D, at 32 games feels like such a waste of time. I loved gaming and would so love to get back into it. I've spent all the money I would on upgrading my PC on traveling which I feel is much more fun. I find myself spending $600 on a plane ticket but don't feel like ponying up $300 video card. Weird....

27 now, used to be a absolutely hardcore gamer in my teens and even into my early 20s. Not so much now. I stopped playing WoW seriously a few years ago. I have resubbed but I only come back for a month or two and then cancel again. Only gaming I seem to do now is hop on D3 every once inawhile, its good fast action and instant satisfaction to start killing things. Or I'll jump on Guild Wars 2 and do a few quests and log off... no subscription FTW!

Now days I just find myself watching movies/TV shows and reading.

Nowadays it just seems to take the right game to hold my interest. I played Crysis 3 for maybe 4 hours before I uninstalled, then I dropped 150 hours in 4 weeks in Dark Souls.

Although in the past I would join clans/communities for any multi-player game I picked up. I've totally lost interest in that aspect of gaming...for now at least.

Although in the past I would join clans/communities for any multi-player game I picked up. I've totally lost interest in that aspect of gaming...for now at least.

I ran into this also. After BF2142, I pretty much lost all interest in MP aspects of games. the last ones I was really into was L4D 1,2 but ONLY because I played with my 2 friends and my wife as a team. Other wise I wouldn't touch those 2 games MP.

Tried BF:BC2 and BF3 but they just seem like spam fests of run-n-gun bullshit.

SP is where it is at for me anymore. Heading back into old school land lately and having more fun.

There are certain games that I can just go play for 10 minutes, have fun and move on. Serious Sam HD is like that. I play through those games like on a bi-monthly basis.

Age 40. Married. 2 kids. I play rarely but who cares? My kiddo's are infinitely more fun than the combined joy experienced by all the video gaming that has ever been done in the history of the world. End of story.

that's why you have to get them pc's so you can all play, and you can have the best of both worlds. :D

I think what is happening is that game focus has been shifted from gamers to the mainstream. Going from games that required more from advanced users to games for almost every user makes it seem less special and at times too easy. Navigation in games is a big example of this, and is why I enjoy dayz so much. I don't want an arrow for each task I need to complete. I want to venture out and find things on my own. And when I do figure it out without help, I feel accomplished. So in all, the aids going overboard in games are what ruined it for me

As far as newer games are concerned, yes, for the most part. There are very few newer games that interest me anymore. However, I still find retro games to be a blast.

While I've lost interest in some games I used to love (Tekken being the main one), I've been gaming more in the last 2-3 years than in years prior. I think the current trend of PC ports is one reason, but another would be the recent batch of sequels that haven't sucked. Games that are 3rd or 4th in a series that have re-invigorated a franchise.

The last time I had a video game burnout like that was also after I quit seriously playing WoW. I remember being hooked on it from the beta and then playing it non-stop for about 3 months after release. I seriously spent almost every waking moment, when not at work, playing that game. Even on my lunch breaks I would log in to at least prioritize my quests so I could grind out levels more efficiently after work.

Eventually that took a toll on me and I think from the lack of any social life (and sleep) I ended up getting depressed and quit playing games all together. Occasionally I would pick up another game but I wasn't playing for more than a couple hours a week.

That lasted me a good year and a half up until I watched one of my buddies playing Oblivion on his shiny new 6600 GT. It was like the day I randomly discovered Chrono Trigger while browsing new games in Software Etc.; I just had to have it.

Now, I'm happily married and still do a good amount of gaming (thankfully my wife games a little bit too) but I keep it in line. There are a lot of games that I just can't play like I used to because they require too much time, and if I find myself burning up a lot of hours on an FPS I'll just uninstall it and not play it for a few months (or until the next lan party, whichever comes first).

seems to be a common theme, stop playing wow and you get your life back :)

i played UO and asherons call in their hay day, then wow took over for a few years, then as wow went more and more down hill and more and more purple shit for everyone with every xpac it got boring, then the pandas were announced that that was that...since then its been less and less gaming, and game makers coming out with crappier games and shitty console ports its been easier to spend less time on the PC and more time fishing, signed up to get my gun license and restricted as well (oh the joys of living in Canada..lol) maybe take up hunting, seems to go hand in hand with fishing, target shooting always fun too

ill hope on d3 , bl2, or whatever i have installed just to mess around to kill half hour here and there but game makers are making it easier to buy less and play less

I have been in a big gaming slump lately. I am 42 and have been a big gamer since the late 70's. Two and a half years ago I felt as though this gaming gen should be done. Very few games wowed me any more. During 2006 to 2010 I was spending 1k to 2k per year on gaming (hardware and games). Two years ago I spend $220, last year I spent $162 (yes I actually kept track). This year I don't think I will spend any money out of pocket on gaming.

I am a pc and console gamer and I am just more than ready for a new gen of gaming. I need to be wowed again. I do find that as I get older I seem to prefer games with really good stories, or games like Dark Souls where you are constantly working on improving your skills and weapons. I have just about lost interest in shooters that are light on story. I am playing Crysis 2 again and I feel like I am just forcing myself to play for the sake of doing so. I do have Far Cry 3 (pc) sitting there unopened, I really should install it already. Last month I played the five episodes of The Walking Dead and did enjoy it. I spent the last six months of last year playing Dark Souls and LOVED IT!

Except for the occasional game that I get into, it just seems less and less games I end up actually enjoying. It's actually a little depressing to me.

I'm 29, been video gaming since I was about 5 and I don't think I'll ever stop.

I'm 32 and have been gaming since 1985. Also getting married. I'm an attorney with a pretty intense job. I did it all and have hit most of the major gaming franchises pretty hard.

Big PC rig for Bf3 which I enjoy. The problem is it is in the living room. When I get home from work I fall into bed. And I don't have much time. I want to play and watch tv and listen to music files all at once. Enter the 3DS and Wii U and iPad which frees up my tv. Those devices were made with me in mind.

Now I will go to living room on weekends for some hardcore BF3 on the PC, but frankly I am drawn more and more to the alternative devices that fit my lifestyle. I'm still a hardcore gamer, but the demands of life now put me in a different demographic. The console shooters--Bioshock, Crysis, ect, just don't pull me in. On the other hand I can get sucked into Zelda Ocarina 3D for hours. I only have time for the best of the best of the best.

We only have so much time--and there are so many devices. How do we spend it? The more complex your life gets, the more you need the simplicity of play. But hardcore games don't offer simplicity.

There is lots of fun stuff to fiddle with. To get me into a hardcore timesink of a game these days it has to just be cutting edge technologically and it has to have gameplay worth the trouble.

There is nothing wrong with getting bored and outgrowing certain games. It is the developers' responsibility to pull you in with the product.

At this point in the console cycle, fatigue is expected.

Lately the must play games per the reviewers are the ones I wish I skipped.

Similar situation as you. Kids really take a huge dent out of my potential play time. I've got three of them, so that really only leaves 9pm until the last possible moment that I think that I should be in bed.

With that little time, relative to what I used to have with zero kids, I probably play an hour night on average. So it's not that I've lost my gaming interest, it's just that I have to be smarter with the free time that I have.

I'm 32 and have been gaming since 1985. Also getting married. I'm an attorney with a pretty intense job. I did it all and have hit most of the major gaming franchises pretty hard.

Big PC rig for Bf3 which I enjoy. The problem is it is in the living room. When I get home from work I fall into bed. And I don't have much time. I want to play and watch tv and listen to music files all at once. Enter the 3DS and Wii U and iPad which frees up my tv. Those devices were made with me in mind.

Now I will go to living room on weekends for some hardcore BF3 on the PC, but frankly I am drawn more and more to the alternative devices that fit my lifestyle. I'm still a hardcore gamer, but the demands of life now put me in a different demographic. The console shooters--Bioshock, Crysis, ect, just don't pull me in. On the other hand I can get sucked into Zelda Ocarina 3D for hours. I only have time for the best of the best of the best.

We only have so much time--and there are so many devices. How do we spend it? The more complex your life gets, the more you need the simplicity of play. But hardcore games don't offer simplicity.

There is lots of fun stuff to fiddle with. To get me into a hardcore timesink of a game these days it has to just be cutting edge technologically and it has to have gameplay worth the trouble.

There is nothing wrong with getting bored and outgrowing certain games. It is the developers' responsibility to pull you in with the product.

At this point in the console cycle, fatigue is expected.

Lately the must play games per the reviewers are the ones I wish I skipped.

I have to agree with this entirely, while I may not be getting married (any time soon, at least a few years), or have kids, my job is very mentally taxing (programming 9+ hours a day), so when I come home, the very last thing I want to do is turn on the PC. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather play some games then head to bed, but with working out thrown in, cooking my own meals so that the working out isn't for nothing, and social time once in the weekday, and at least once on the weekends, it's really difficult. Getting up at 4:30 to slap myself out of my 8 hour comma, do a hardcore workout, and shower/make breakfast/relax for a bit, all before 7:45AM, 5 days out of the week is just really taxing. It takes a toll on you, but you know deep down you're doing the right thing.

Hand-held systems like my Vita are a god-send, since I get to just lounge on the couch and play, then just basically fall asleep. On the weekends, there's some time to game, but I'd rather just sleep to be honest haha. :D

I am 32 and to be honest I just have to many other things going on in my life now. I still play games and will put some time in on certain titles (Payday the Heist, BF3, World of Tanks) but I would consider myself a casual gamer now.

OP: Your post pretty much mirrors my gaming history exactly. I am approaching 30 as well.

I used to be a hardcore gamer. I played EQ1 for years, then WOW. I'd play CS, then CS:S, UT, etc.

Now I can't stay interested in any games. They are all watered down and too casual. FPS games all went Call of Duty style (even BF3). MMO's all went easy mode cash generators.

Lately I play Chivalry once in a while when I'm bored. But for the most part, I just watch media on my HTPC rather than bothering to play video games.

I am 28 and I am having the same problem. I spend more time looking for a new game to play t han playing one. I think the main problem is that the group of guys I used to play with have all moved on or don't have the time to play. Every now and then when I can get them online we still have a blast.

i want to blame the gaming industry at the moment. Im 26, almost 27 and i remember games 5-10 years ago were so well thought out, the good ones at least, with good multiplayer aspects, good single player story, engrossing gameplay etc. I played WoW for 3 years hardcore until blizzard decided to turn the game into a noob fest..i think that was with wrath of the lich king. I'd probably still be playing WoW if it didnt turn into what it has turned into. EA Games...........yeahhhh they done and fucked up almost all hope I have with anything that has their branding on it.

Nowadays, every game i play whether its F2P, or a game like battlefield 3, it just seems like these companies are trying to gouge more out of your pocket with DLC, subscription fees, expansions, etc. Everything honestly seems pay to win, at least in multiplayer. I miss the days of a game being good because it was actually a good game, which is why I have pretty much sworn off buying any new games. I once in a while will hop on and play league of legends with my girlfriend, or one of my favorites street fighter.

Honestly at the moment, the only thing i really do on my computer is stream live TV, watch movies, do my work relating things, and surf the web. Im not optimistic in the PC gaming market until game companies decide to stop feeding us bullshit and half ass games that require more $$$$$$$$ just fucking play what we have already payed for.

I was starting to burn out but then Dark Souls (PC) came along and got me genuinely excited again...sometimes all it takes is 1 title to get your juices flowing again and make you realize how good a game can be

Yep, 'cuz the games industry has stagnated 'cuz since gaming went mainstream. With games that cost many millions to make & market, the publishers are just gonna cater to the lowest common denominator and minimize risk while maximizing profit (DLC, no mod support, pre-order, list goes on).

Look at COD, and look at the transition of the Battlefield series from 1942 to what we have now.

Gaming has become a more social activity for me than anything now. I rarely play games if I'm not playing co-op with people I know, and get bored if I have nobody to talk to... unless of course the game has an amazing story.

Yep, 'cuz the games industry has stagnated 'cuz since gaming went mainstream. With games that cost many millions to make & market, the publishers are just gonna cater to the lowest common denominator and minimize risk while maximizing profit (DLC, no mod support, pre-order, list goes on).

Look at COD, and look at the transition of the Battlefield series from 1942 to what we have now.

I agree with this. But I guess the cool thing for me is that other than beating the first Crysis in 2010 when I was out of work, I have played nothing except WoW since late 2007.

There's a huge backlog of good stuff that I have never played. Now it's just a matter of determining the best version of the game to play in instances where it has been remade or made available on newer consoles.

I have never beat any of the Zelda games. I did buy a SNES and Link to the Past back in the early 90s and loved that game, but never finished and sold my SNES when I started blowing my money on alcohol and dating. Those games have multiple versions on multiple systems and I'm trying to figure out the best way to play them.

So, yeah...still burned out but when the mood strikes and I find something that piques my interest, I can still crush some games. :D

Interest comes in seasons and right now I've lost my interest in all gaming. I'm officially taking a month off. I'm going on a media diet with my family (my wife's idea and I said cool, since I'm really tired of the computer/tv screens as of late). I'll still check mail and read articles that have something for me to learn though. Maybe a movie or two as a social event, but that's about it.

I switch between gaming and reading, usually a few weeks at a time. Just got hooked on Warframe this weekend, having a ton of fun with it. But I've found I only really play games where I can group with my friends any more. I also don't play at all during the weekdays, only on weekends. I found that doing this even if I want to play a game helps me not feel so burnt out all the time.

I find I lost my interest a lot. When I was a kid I was really excited when I got a NES, SNES later on, then a Playstation. Recently bought my first console since the Playstation (Wii U) and it was fun at first but it's more like "meh". Not because it's not good, I think it's a decent console, but I just did not have the same enthusiast as I once had as a kid.

I now prefer sandbox type games like Minecraft, and occasional FPS once in a while, and that's about it.

I also hate how most games now have some form of DRM or "online" based when it does not have to. The Wii U (and any modern console) completely puts me off with that crap. The main idea behind a console is to get away from the problems of PC gaming (updates, servers, DRM, accounts etc) but now those problems have been brought to consoles too. Anyone setup on an Xbox? OMFG need all sorts of accounts and crap. It feels like I'm signing up to be the next president or something. So many steps to go through. I miss the simplicity of NES and SNES, just plug and play. You can plug one of those right now and it will still work. Try that with a modern console in 5-10 years from now when they take down the servers that are relied on.

I'd say yes, but I lost in a long time ago (early 2000's). I find I take more interest in upgrading my PC than actually using it.

It really brings up the question of why don't I find most games interesting anymore? Is it because things were just new to me when I was a kid?

But I wonder if it's something more. Life in general is less interesting. I'm not talking about depression here. What I mean is, as a kid, and even into a young adult, I had tons of free time, but I also had energy. As an adult, I come home tired, and most video games feel like a chore. I'm curious if just more than a break from gaming could help. Maybe playing games after exercise or something similar could produce a better feeling towards games, and leaving weekdays game free.

Kind of, my 3DS gets most of my attention these days. I was a hardcore CS and MMO player in HS and college, but now I don't have time for any of that.

I am 43with a 2 yr old little girl. Gaming blues really just creeping in now. I got some good time in with Borderlands 2 and Skyrim before that, but since then just blahhh. I have not come to terms with it yet though as I have purchased FarCry 3, Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider...heh, keep trying to sit down to play but end up running around for a few minutes then shutting down to go read a book. Just finished the Wheel of Time series that I have been reading for like 20+ years. Oh well, hope this is temporary. I have had a few good hours with indy stuff more recently like Botanicula and Deadlight, but I bought The Cave and haven't played yet...Kentucky Rout Zero looks intriguing but I just have no gaming gas in the tank. I almost reflexively bought the new Bioshock game but, well, I bet it will be cheaper by the time I get though my backlog...if I get though it.

Good luck all my fellow slumpers. I feel your pain.

For me at 30, my gaming habbits have changed due to the more limited time I have. In the past and peaking around WoW second expansion, I could sit 5-8 hours straight gaming... Now I can barely do 2 hours.

With that said, I have started on cutting back games I get. So some yearly games are going out the window (Assassin Creed), Very long and open RPGs as well such as next elder scrolls, racing games and many others that I would buy and play in the past but won't now.

They need to start creating some new material instead of sequels. Getting tired of sequel after sequel of the same stuff over and over. Developers should at least try to make things different rather than just copying and pasting from the last sequel. Seems so stagnant now also. Nothing like it use to be in the old days. Games use to be pumped out a lot faster than it is now. Feels like we have to wait 1-2 years before another great game comes out or one thats decent. I know development time has increased but that doesn't explain why we have so many less releases year after year. Seems like only 1-2 games out in a year are even worthy of a purchase. So slow these days.

Like with Blackops 2 i just felt like i've already played the game already when it came out. I got burned out pretty quick with it. Thats happening when most games these days. Tired of modern era warfare. They need games that push past 64/32 players online. Thats a good step in the right direction. Something "different" thats what we need. Companies are too afraid though to do that. To get too creative and to think outside the box. Too risky in their eyes i guess.

Tired of modern era warfare. They need games that push past 64/32 players online. Thats a good step in the right direction. Something "different" thats what we need. Companies are too afraid though to do that. To get too creative and to think outside the box. Too risky in their eyes i guess.

Planetside 2

Back