Have LG 34UM95, but looking to go back to a 27-30" 16:10/16:9, suggestions?

cc2096

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, I jumped on the bandwagon for the 21:9 34UM95, and though it's a very nice monitor I find myself missing my Dell U3011 which it replaced. I still have about 2 weeks left to return to the egg so I'm looking for recommends on a replacement in the 27-30" range. IPS preferred, but i'd be willing to entertain others. Needs to be available at the egg though as I am planning to do an exchange in order to have a quicker turn around. I have only used Dell monitors since the early 2000's so I'm not really sure what's good with other brands. I do mostly surfing and gaming, but I am starting school for programming so I will be doing a lot of that in the future as well. Max res is is probably 2560x1600 as I don't really have the rig to push 4K. Max budget is $1200.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

As the title says, I jumped on the bandwagon for the 21:9 34UM95, and though it's a very nice monitor I find myself missing my Dell U3011 which it replaced. I still have about 2 weeks left to return to the egg so I'm looking for recommends on a replacement in the 27-30" range. IPS preferred, but i'd be willing to entertain others. Needs to be available at the egg though as I am planning to do an exchange in order to have a quicker turn around. I have only used Dell monitors since the early 2000's so I'm not really sure what's good with other brands. I do mostly surfing and gaming, but I am starting school for programming so I will be doing a lot of that in the future as well. Max res is is probably 2560x1600 as I don't really have the rig to push 4K. Max budget is $1200.

I had trouble getting a 34UM95 due to stock. I ended up buying a 27" QNIX from another forum member for ~$300. Amazing value.

You didn't mention what it is you're looking for in a replacement monitor. What is it that you miss about your U3011? What don't you like about the 34UM95?

If you go the 27" route, you're limited to the same vertical resolution as your 34UM95 (1440p). If you want 1600p, you'll have to go with a 30" monitor.

For programming, it's though to beat the 34UM95 for side-by-side-by-side windows and terminals.

I actually really like the 34UM95, but gaming on it is a pain in the ass. I prefer the vertical res of the 30" to the extra horizontal space of the 34UM95. I do use flawless wide screen, but it's not perfect and a lot of games still don't run correctly with it.

I actually really like the 34UM95, but gaming on it is a pain in the ass. I prefer the vertical res of the 30" to the extra horizontal space of the 34UM95. I do use flawless wide screen, but it's not perfect and a lot of games still don't run correctly with it.

Can't you just run it pillarboxed if it doesn't do well in the native aspect?

Can't you just run it pillarboxed if it doesn't do well in the native aspect?

Agreed, I'd try this first.

Running your 34UM95 at 2560x1440 with "black bars" on the sides is the same as using a 27" monitor. Unless, of course, you're the type of person who can't get over the fact that not 100% of the screen is in use.

Just be warned that the BL3200PT has a relatively large pixel pitch.

I'd say the PPI of the BL3200PT is medium sized. It is just as large as standard size 24" 1080p monitors.

Seconding the BL3200PT. I moved to one from a 30" Samsung 305T and like it a lot. Can't say the slight reduction in pixel density is an issue, if anything I think the BenQ is right in the sweet spot.

For programming the 34UM95 is far superior to any 27" or 30" out there. I guess you'll have to decide whether gaming is more of a priority, personally I'd just deal with having black bars in some games, the real estate the UM95 offers without any of the DPI headaches of 4K is too good to give up.

For programming the 34UM95 is far superior to any 27" or 30" out there.
This depends on the programmer's preference: more vertical or more horizontal workspace. Have you seen the BenQ BL3200PT's auto pivot mode? It easily and quickly offers a ton of vertical pixels, which means you can put a lot of code lines from one project on the screen simultaneously. I doubt the LG 34UM95 can be used in portrait; it is simply too large. If it's possible, it certainly needs a different stand.

[X]eltic;1040899848 said:
I doubt the LG 34UM95 can be used in portrait; it is simply too large. If it's possible, it certainly needs a different stand.

No, not without using a monitor arm. The upcoming AOC version has a stand that allows this..

egCB0j5.jpg

Seems like it might be kind of awkward to view properly when sitting at your desk.. definitely a lot of vertical space, though! :rolleyes: :D

Back