Hate your matte film?

how? are you saying that the more pronounced reflections from a plain gloss surface makes black appear more black?

I have a PDC. The blacks have a Purple tint, so(and?) they appear brighter.

do you mean the reflections have a purple tint, or the actual black level (in a dark room). purple/blue tinted reflections are normal and intended as the coatings are tuned to have minimum reflectivity for the middle of the visible wavelength range. in other words, they reflect as little green light as possible

it's not a fair comparison to compare two monitors with and without a coating because the panels could be very different. if you really want to see the effect of the coating you can scrape off a corner of it with a key or something

do you mean the reflections have a purple tint, or the actual black level (in a dark room). purple/blue tinted reflections are normal and intended as the coatings are tuned to have minimum reflectivity for the middle of the visible wavelength range. in other words, they reflect as little green light as possible

it's not a fair comparison to compare two monitors with and without a coating because the panels could be very different. if you really want to see the effect of the coating you can scrape off a corner of it with a key or something

Could be just reflections.

I can't comment about a dark room, I don't have my gloss IPS any longer - I could only make an unfair comparison to my CPVA.

NCX can surely give you a good answer.

Instead of trying harder you can get out of a thread where people who prefer glossy over matte are voicing their opinions. If you don't hate matte, then this thread is not for you.

You don't see me go to "people who think Subway is great" thread and go call their analogies dumb, illogical or stupid.

I don't hate matte but neither do I call people who like glossy 'crazy'.

(and for the record I use a CRT which is about as glossy as it gets)

(I replaced my name with icor1031)

Perhaps it would be beneficial, if you gentlemen also contacted Asus to let them know that we want this.
For every one that's verbal, it is assumed there are many others who are not.

Victor S. Wed, 11/12/14 04:56:59 pm America/Chicago
Hello icor1031, thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.
Hi J,

icor1031 04:57:16 pm
Hello.

Victor S. 04:57:22 pm
How is your day?

icor1031 04:57:46 pm
Fine, thank you. I'm probably in the wrong place, but I could not find an appropriate category.
I tried sending an e-mail, but the system wasn't working. In any case:

Victor S. 04:58:02 pm
Yes,I could help you with this.

icor1031 04:58:52 pm
To whom would I send information showing that multiple enthusiasts have asked Asus to offer a gloss version of the ROG swift?

Victor S. 04:59:37 pm
Ok,I can help you with this,could you stay on chat,while I check with the information.

icor1031 05:00:11 pm
Thanks.

Victor S. 05:02:01 pm
Thank you for your patience.
I will take this as a request and i will get this message to my next level.

icor1031 05:02:32 pm
Hold on

Victor S. 05:02:39 pm
Yes,I am here.

icor1031 05:02:43 pm
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840513
In this thread, there are multiple users who state that they would purchase a ROG - if only it was offered as a gloss screen. That includes myself, but please ask them to note the points in my original post: that they can merely *not* apply a matte coating during production on a few units, which would reduce labor - not increase it. And people like myself would even be willing to pay more, despite it costing less for you to produce.

Victor S. 05:04:31 pm
J,I think you are a great admirer of ASUS products.I will definitely help you with your request. And hope all those who had posted their request are going to be satisfied with the release.

icor1031 05:04:55 pm
Is there any way that I can get a reply from Asus about this issue, and hear their response?
/\ I hope you saw the text I posted after the link, and before your reply. :)

Victor S. 05:05:29 pm
Sorry,currently there are no such option with us. You can visit our site for information.

icor1031 05:05:49 pm
O.K., please pass this along. They would gain a number of sales - and more importantly, fans.

Victor S. 05:06:19 pm
Yes,sure J.Thank you for remaining with our products.

icor1031 05:06:26 pm
Have a good day.

Victor S. 05:06:31 pm
We are her to satisfy customers.
Is there anything else?

icor1031 05:06:53 pm
No, thank you.

I am a huge glossy fan. My samsung VA thin tv is glossy, with it's back to a large window and a floor lamp in line on either side of the same wall (no direct light hitting the screen). My tablet is glossy, and my smartphone is glossy.
My computer monitors at different desks are light matte, but my gaming desk was a glossy 27" 2560x1440 ips + a samsung a750d 27" 1080p 120hz glossy TN, and I formerly used a fw900 crt years ago.

I just recently upgraded the a750d to the swift. I use it primarily for gaming since I have a glossy ips right next to it. After tweaking, you can make the color very saturated. Glossy tends to have a more "wet" look though. I'm very happy with the monitor overall.

I can see the micro-crystallization/micro-frost coating mostly on flat solid bright background colors. The size of the "crystals" appears very tiny, which is why I called it a "micro-frost". I'd prefer glossy for sure but I've seen worse coatings. It's not noticeable in gaming really, or fullscreen high rez art/photos/wallpapers that much. Where it is more obvious is flat planes - backgrounds of documents and web browsers, medium brightness to very bright background ones especially. I'm not trying to be overly apologetic for the coating just because I've bought one of these. It is definitely a tradeoff. If it were cheap enough and with little risk to me I'd consider having it removed or paying extra at the outset for one without the coating if it were an option. I have a glossy 2560x1440 at the same desk so I can easily drag things between monitors to compare. However the more I use the matte/coated one the less my eyes focus on the coating. In media, imagery and gaming it's very good (again, glossy would be better though). I wouldn't give it as high of a rating for document use. However once your eyes/focus adjust to it you sort of focus past it on text, if that makes sense.

I also make my backgrounds dark grey in my 3rd party file manager(directory opus) and in my windows theme/options. I also use the nosquint addon for firefox which can adjust backgrounds and text color on the fly and remembers per web-site so I'm not looking at bright white which would make the coating stand out much more as well as being brighter than I'd prefer for my eyes.
nosquint_ff-addon.png
Regarding head-on reading of documents - I don't read a lot of documents on the swift other than file manager listings in detail mode so far. I wouldn't want to be looking at documents with bright white backgrounds since they make the coating crystal sheen show worse, but I modify everything I can so that I won't have white backgrounds, even on my ips monitor.

I quick edit web pages on a site by site basis with the nosquint addon for firefox I posted a screenshot of earlier. The addon remembers edits per site or you can edit globally. Sites like hardforum's theme don't really need it with the dark background. I also change my windows theme, the background in my 3rd party file manager, 3rd party text/code editor, edit calibre e-book reader, chat app, etc to all be dark grey or medium grey with dark black text.

I find it fine for reading after I do that but if
light-medium AG "micro-frost" on any monitor bothers you for small text
you already have an eye condition
you can't modifty your most used text based apps to have darker backgrounds

-then it might not work for you, especially at default text size (depending how far away your eyes are from it).

It's good to try and make your voice heard but I wouldn't hold your breath on service rep chats, and it's not like they aren't selling instantly.
This should do well for me until the consumer release of the oculus rift someyear.. (90hz+ oled with screen blanking blur elimination, resolution higher than 1080p undetermined).

Last edited:
While glossy has better crispness, it is horrible in places where there is any lighting whatsoever.

The reflections on a glossy screen just kill it for me.

If I was in a room with no windows and had the lights turned off all the time, then yeah, glossy would win.

I think the reason that the mfgs are not doing as many glossy screens as matte and semi-matte is because there isn't a big enough market for them for the above stated reasons.

While glossy has better crispness, it is horrible in places where there is any lighting whatsoever.

If I was in a room with no windows and had the lights turned off all the time, then yeah, glossy would win.

I think the reason that the mfgs are not doing as many glossy screens as matte and semi-matte is because there isn't a big enough market for them for the above stated reasons.

It's not that bad. I'm not bothered even by moderate light, if it's overhead and behind me - unless I'm working on a dark page (text).

We raised hell on the asus forums about making a glossy version of the swift well before it was released and they did jack shit about it and they will never do jack shit about it.

We need samsung to release a version as they are the only display maker that I know of who is not afraid to ride the glossy snake.

It's not that bad at all, especially if you like getting a glimpse of yourself once in a while when the screen turns completely black ;) (feeds my inner narcissist)

has anyone tried de-matte-ing the rog swift?

Now that would be extremely nice. If I had one I probably would do it, since I can't stand Matte blurriness/sparkles/color desaturation even if it meant voiding my warranty.

Last edited:
I always sit at the computer with a lighted room, I refuse to sit in a dark room since my eyes becomes a lot quicker tired which might hurt my eyesight in the long run which I'm extremely caring about (well hearing too for that matter since these senses are not "repairable" and therefore very important).

Therefore I prefer matte but semi-matte is clearly favorable to avoid the grainy text (although usually a bit distance help too). Glossy screen would reflect too much of the light from the pretty closely positioned lamp.

I'm just curious, do you all sit in a darkened room or something? Doesn't your eyesight suffer? :( As of now I'm 27 yo and been nerding comps all my life with probably something like 5-6 hrs a day average computer use at the very least and my eyesight is still pretty much perfect which I want to keep too.

Last edited:
I always sit at the computer with a lighted room, I refuse to sit in a dark room since my eyes becomes a lot quicker tired which might hurt my eyesight in the long run which I'm extremely caring about (well hearing too for that matter since these senses are not "repairable" and therefore very important).

Therefore I prefer matte but semi-matte is clearly favorable to avoid the grainy text (although usually a bit distance help too). Glossy screen would reflect too much of the light from the pretty closely positioned lamp.

I'm just curious, do you all sit in a darkened room or something? Doesn't your eyesight suffer? :( As of now I'm 27 yo and been nerding comps all my life with probably something like 5-6 hrs a day average computer use at the very least and my eyesight is still pretty much perfect which I want to keep too.

Moderate lighting, overhead and behind.
I make sure that there's nothing bright in the mirror (nothing that's white, or that shines, etc.) It's not that hard to do, unless you're an uber-clean guy who likes stainless steel, glass, white consoles and table tops, etc.

For those of us who have seen the new 5K iMac in person, you know why glossy screens are superior.

Most of us use these monitors of this caliber at home, where we can control the light.
Not sure why light sources would be of concern, because I wouldn't buy a ROG swift for my office.

iMacs and 27" Cinema displays are used in design offices everywhere with bright lighting, but Apple knows color reproduction is more important than keeping the glare down.

Last edited:
If I had one I probably would do it, since I can't stand Matte blurriness/sparkles/color desaturation even if it meant voiding my warranty.
voiding the warranty is a small matter. the risk is potentially ruining the panel completely by ripping off the polarizer together with the matte film.

For those of us who have seen the new 5K iMac in person, you know why glossy screens are superior.

i haven't seen it yet but this is definitely something to keep in mind: the higher the pixel density, the more obviously a matte filter blurs the image. hopefully once higher dpi displays become the norm, matte films will become extinct

Last edited:
I'm assuming you could theoretically remove the matte coating on every LCD in existence. The question is if it's worth the risk of damaging the panel or semi-damaging by leaving imperfections. I'm SO accustomed to my 27" glossy Apple Cinema Display that I don't think I can ever go non-glossy again. I've been using that panel for like 5 years now and REALLY want to move to a 32" 4k screen. Not sure if I can stomach taking the risk on a 1~2k display....

I have the swift right next to my cinema display. Loving the swift for games. I'd trust vega with removing the ag , especially if he had already done one for himself first. He set up a special humidity room station and has done so many that he has the experience. Still a risk with such expense.

well the current method for removing the matte film is to soak it in water for a few hours in hopes that the water will permeate to the adhesive layer and soften it enough that the film can be peeled off without ripping off the polarizer.

for some monitors, and sometimes specific batches of monitors, the adhesive remains too strong and trying to peel off the matte film will take off the polarizer with it.

so yea it's always kind of a risky thing to do

i haven't seen it yet but this is definitely something to keep in mind: the higher the pixel density, the more obviously a matte filter blurs the image. hopefully once higher dpi displays become the norm, matte films will become extinct

The 5K iMac is pretty much pixel-less.
Adding a matte finish would introduce a pixellated picture because of the rainbow effect is has.

Matte finish will give an illusion the pixel sizes are larger than the original picture displays.

The 5K iMac is pretty much pixel-less.
Adding a matte finish would introduce a pixellated picture because of the rainbow effect is has.

Matte finish will give an illusion the pixel sizes are larger than the original picture displays.

Oh man that must be a beauty to behold. I get tempted more and more every day to remove my semi ar coating from my eizo fg2421 to get the full glossy experience. I want to so bad it hurts ahhhhh >:D. But at the same time I worry there might be problems down the line like scratches (or some glue residue that I can't get off that would get dust stuck on it?). Anyway this is a fantastic monitor, I am just one of those people that is never satisfied with what he has in terms of PQ.

Pixelless, retina, beauty .. but it definitely is not beauty if it is accompanied by low frame rates slideshow & possible need to reduce resolution in games back to FHD nullifying high dpi picture enhancement gains and if accompanied with scaling issues/artifacts (maybe less on Macosx on said iMac, but more so on Windows/PC). User experience should be evaluated for product as a whole, not by singled out enhancement and closing eyes on regressions in other areas. It can be evaluated also for specified specific usage pattern where there will be no problems .. but 4-5K desktop work with limited problemless high-dpi aware app set & movies watching only is not exactly completely generic average usage pattern.

Pixelless, retina, beauty .. but it definitely is not beauty if it is accompanied by low frame rates slideshow

No one with sense is buying a 5K screen for gaming.
People who are buying it are creative professionals.

You can play games on much cheaper hardware.

I posted this hypothetical video settings applet in the swift thread which sort of visualizes what you saying about tradeoffs of rez vs motion definition vs visual fx in gaming. The only thing I didn't add was a gpu power+price slider :-b

video-settings-hypothetical.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer glossy myself, that's why I've been holding onto my 27" Apple LED Display for so long. However, I'll be going back to matte since the 34" Dell U3415W (curved 34" 21:9) is the next logical upgrade for me and this type of screen only comes in matte.

I prefer glossy myself, that's why I've been holding onto my 27" Apple LED Display for so long. However, I'll be going back to matte since the 34" Dell U3415W (curved 34" 21:9) is the next logical upgrade for me and this type of screen only comes in matte.

I would try it out first with an option to return it in case you don't like it. I thought I could handle full on matte screen on a laptop after having a had a glossy screen on my gateway fx p7805u for years. I was wrong. I just can't stand how much it affects the picture quality. It literally nauseates me :(
Right now I am using a semi glossy VA and although the PQ is slightly altered, it's not very noticeable and still very clear.

I love my ROG Swift for gaming, especially FPS, But the AG layer sucks for doing work, reading text, coding e.t.c

I want to remove it. Perhaps the horror incidents of the film staying on and ripping the polarizer are due to age, i.e the bonding adhesive hardens over time and then sticks.

So maybe doing the ROG Swift now rather than later will be better? I need to see one person successfully do it before I open and start modding a fukin 1k monitor.

I am more than happy with current selections, a few year back it was hell, anything not super expansive were glossy, and I don't know how people reading them when there is sunlight.

Honestly, I think the real reason they matte that stuff up is because it obscures dead pixels, ends up in fewer returns, and thus makes them more money.

I think it's as simple as that. There is NO other justification for masking the quality of a panel like that.

I love my ROG Swift for gaming, especially FPS, But the AG layer sucks for doing work, reading text, coding e.t.c

I want to remove it. Perhaps the horror incidents of the film staying on and ripping the polarizer are due to age, i.e the bonding adhesive hardens over time and then sticks.

So maybe doing the ROG Swift now rather than later will be better? I need to see one person successfully do it before I open and start modding a fukin 1k monitor.

That would be a big mistake IMO. It's still fairly likely that the ROG Swift is just a defective design, and yours could shit out any day (blurry text/flickering problem that almost everyone seems to get eventually). You do not want to have a monitor that you can't RMA.

Honestly, I think the real reason they matte that stuff up is because it obscures dead pixels, ends up in fewer returns, and thus makes them more money.

I think it's as simple as that. There is NO other justification for masking the quality of a panel like that.

I buy matte all the time, and no dead, color or bright pixel has ever escaped my eyes.

A few year back, say around 2011?(can't remember the exact years) They make everything that's not super expansive glossy to look better in store, and people hated it, the reason they switched back to matte on most screens is due to user feedback.

voiding the warranty is a small matter. the risk is potentially ruining the panel completely by ripping off the polarizer together with the matte film.

It will get better, it will never ever go extinct as long as people needs to use it with sunlight.

Exactly, seeing reflections ruins the perception of black, at least for me.

Anywho, didn't mean to start a big argument, it is good of manufacturers to offer choices. In a perfect world you could just check a box matte, semi glossy or glossy when you ordered your screen.

That would be nice, but cost wouldn't work out, having 3-4 sku would cost more in every step from manufacture to distribution to retail.

They should offer that as a premium model, but then review would be saying shit like not worth the $100 extra etc.

If you use your display in a pitch black room exclusively you might be alright with the matte coating and not notice the difference at all. :D

But glossy screens look so much better in moderate lighting, with actual depth to the picture, way higher contrast and inky blacks.

I've been trying both my glossy monitor and glossy va tv in a dark room and with lights on, there's a huge difference, the most obvious thing is that the blacks levels are way lower, meanwhile the blacks on a matte screen are washed out in direct light even more - completely opposite to the glossy coating.

Some people may not like glossy because of reflections, but that's not true anymore seeing how modern TV's have way less reflective coatings that only produce acceptable amount of reflections which only beneficial to the picture quality.

There's literally no excuse to use matte coatings in monitors meant for the entertainment purpose.

Why do you think there's no matte tv's left on the market? I believe the monitor manufacturers will follow too, the new glossy dells have been already introduced a year ago and I think those were popular enough which warranted the new s24/2715h model.

"I've been trying both my glossy monitor and glossy va tv in a dark room and with lights on, there's a huge difference, the most obvious thing is that the blacks levels are way lower, meanwhile the blacks on a matte screen are washed out in direct light even more - completely opposite to the glossy coating."

Yeah, glossy would just have a reflection I guess...

"acceptable amount of reflections which only beneficial to the picture quality."

WTF, reflection on screen is beneficial? Mind=blown.

WTF, reflection on screen is beneficial? Mind=blown.

Yeah, they give more depth to the picture. That's that I observed with my glossy displays after all.

>Yeah, glossy would just have a reflection I guess...

The blacks on my va tv look pretty inky even if there's a direct light shining at it, the reflections aren't prominent at all.

And this is what you get with the hard matte coating:
http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2014-08-09/IMG_9328.JPG

That would be a big mistake IMO. It's still fairly likely that the ROG Swift is just a defective design, and yours could shit out any day (blurry text/flickering problem that almost everyone seems to get eventually). You do not want to have a monitor that you can't RMA.

Yes I have seen all those reports, even after 3 months of normal use the blurry text issue then appears. Would probably have to wait until mid year to be sure, but by then perhaps removing the AG layer may be too difficult.

Yes I have seen all those reports, even after 3 months of normal use the blurry text issue then appears. Would probably have to wait until mid year to be sure, but by then perhaps removing the AG layer may be too difficult.

Are you greek? (username, and did you mean aigisthos?)

Back