• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Haswell and memory voltage

Poik

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 21, 2011
Messages
99
I'm planning on a Haswell build and there's some decent deals on memory right now. It seems that memory less than 1.5V is almost a unicorn in Canada so I'm wondering if 2x8GB of 1.5V DDR3 will play nice with Haswell or if I need to look harder and pay the additional premium for 1.35/1.25V DDR3.

Thanks!
 
1.5V is the JEDEC standard voltage for DDR3. I have a hard time believing Intel will not support the standard so I expect that to not cause you any problem..
 
Last edited:
1.35v ideally, but 1.5v will work too. I'd avoid 1.65v, but I've given that advice for Sandy and Ivy as well anyway.
 
really? Most of the good DDR3 out there with speeds >2000 MHz seems to be 1.65v? even the ovepriced dominator platniums from corsair
 
Most of the good DDR3 out there with speeds >2000 MHz seems to be 1.65v?

These are dominated by overclocked over volted DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 chips.
 
Is that a big deal? I'm not really understanding the statement "1.5 is OK and dont buy 1.65" when the minimum for high quality / overclocking oriented ram seems to start at 1600MHz 1.5v and go to 2400MHz @ 1.65v and beyond, and they all say recommended for haswell from the manufacturer
 
Is that a big deal? I'm not really understanding the statement "1.5 is OK and dont buy 1.65" when the minimum for high quality / overclocking oriented ram seems to start at 1600MHz 1.5v and go to 2400MHz @ 1.65v and beyond, and they all say recommended for haswell from the manufacturer

Well, you can run memory at 1.65V in an 1155 or 1150 platform, but Intel states a recommended 1.5V or less or risk voiding the warranty if a problem with the CPU arises and that's found to be the root cause. Not that anything above 1333 or 1600 speeds make a noticeable difference in anything outside of synthetic benchmarks, so there's really no point in spending all that extra money for 1866+ memory. Lots of reviews out of the web proving that.

The money is better allocated for something towards a stronger GPU or better MoBo or whatnot...something that will have a more tangible effect on the overall performace of the system as a whole or more/better features.
 
So no reason to pick these babies up then? http://www.techpowerup.com/184831/g-skill-introduces-tridentx-ddr3-3000-mhz-32-gb-kit.html

hahaha

I'll probably be getting the corsair vengeance pro 1600MHz then, I see they just have CL9 for now but maybe it will get lower

Nope, no good reason to get it, anyway. And don't worry about CL...it impacts overall system performance as much as higher frequencies, so nothing noticable outside of synthetic benchmarks.

1600 CL9 at 1.5V will be just fine.
 
+1 to what DejaWiz said.

Don't bother with that expensive RAM.

Sandy and Ivy both are recommended to go no higher than 1.5V, as it could damage the CPU.

I suspect Haswell to be no different.
 
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model BLT2K4G3D1608ET3LX0



DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Timing 8-8-8-24
Cas Latency 8
Voltage 1.35V

what do you think of this for haswell
great timings, and XMP options for low voltage (1.35v) or high voltage (1.5v).
 
If the Ballistix Sport is cheaper, then get it instead. They've been flawless for me.
 
Any kit that can do 2133mhz cl 9 with 1.5 v is a good kit to get if you are worried about pushing voltage and you want performance.
 
Back
Top