Has this happened to you?

NulloModo said:
All in all, I don't really agree with the whole carding for M rated games (or the whole movie rating system either for that matter). Whatever is in the game, movie, CD, whatever, is going to be exposed to the minor is question no matter what, whether it be through a friend, TV with a few key words changed, etc. Instead of trying to hide 'mature' content we should take the approach of educating people from early on how to deal with it responsibly. Plus, by the time you are old enough to be out shopping for this stuff without your parents around, you're pretty much old enough to be able to handle it anyway.
wow. i couldn't disagree with you more. by that logic, rather than waiting until their child is old enough to fully understand the themes presented in a violent or adult-oriented game, you're suggesting that parents simply discuss it with them and then let them have at it. 6-year-olds playing GTA, Manhunt, or Leisure Suit Larry.

that's irresponsible to say the least. young children are not mentally, socially, and emotionally capable of understanding and digesting mature subject matters, such as violence, murder, or sexual intercourse. these themes are ever-present in today's society, to be sure, but sitting down and playing mature-rated games with your kids is not an appropriate form of education. these subjects need to be introduced cautiously and gradually to a child as they grow, and there are certainly lines to be drawn.

i'm having a hard time believing that you're a teacher, as surely you've taken some sort of child development course (or two!) over the years, and would have a better understanding of the subject.

NulloModo said:
If she had bothered to change it a bit it would have failed my random 'pick a line of text and see if it gets a hit on google' check. She didn't. Lazy slacker chick should technically get held back for academic fraud but I don't want to fill out the paperwork or go to the school board hearing.

After her mom came at me when you tried to tell her, I would have gone after her with the academic fraud. She obviously didn't really care about honor society, and she really needs to learn now that it's going to get her a LOT of trouble later on, especially in college. If her parents aren't going to do anything, then you should.

heh I didnt know you could get carded for buying a game, Ive never seen it happen nor have I heard of it....

Back