Has this happened to you?

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
So I went to Best Buy today to get Sin: Emergence. When I went to go check out the cashier actually asked me for a ID. With all these months of critics and whatnot saying its to easy to buy M rated gamesand yet I went to Best Buy many times during these months to buy games where alot of them are M rated, and never get carded and now I do. Im not complaining, its just the first time I actually been carded for buying a M rated game and the first time I even seen are Best Buy doing it.

Is it any stricker by you guys? Any unpleasant experiences?

I was only ever carded for an M-rated game once - Diablo II, and the person carding me was a friend. Never since then. I tend to get a lot of games online, though.

I really think they should card though. I think that the ESRB needs to start showing people how the game rating system is directly parallel to the movie rating system, and carding people for buying M rated games just like people trying to see an R rated movie is a good idea.

Majin said:
I know a guy who was carded by a hooker.
:eek:

ROFL

Best buy.. I was carded once, and when they saw I didn't meet the age requirement they said "Who cares" and let me buy it anywhoo. Must be because im sexy. ;)

Never been carded for a game, that even goes back to when I was about 14 and bought Mortal Kombat 2 (MA-17 rating at the time) for the SNES without any troubles.

I did get carded for a scratch lotto ticket once, cashier asked what my age was, my mind blank and I basically tossed my license on the counter. For a moment, I didnt know my age, (which was 21 btw)

I got carded when I went to buy Half-Life 2.
I got into an argument about whether Mature games are meant for "17 and older" or "older than 17" (according to the employee), because of the "17+" on the Mature label.

Needless to say, I won the argument, and got my copy of HL2. :rolleyes:

I was carded for FEAR at Best Buy.

Personally i say it's a good thing. Politicians keep complaining about violent games being sold to minors, and the games industry keeps pointing to its ratings. The problem though is that if stores don't enforce the ratings there's no point to having them. Much like most theaters enforce R rated movies, stores should enforce M and AO ratings. That's one less thing for Jack Thompson to complain about.

When I was about 14 or 15, I wanted to buy Doom 3 so I asked a 30-something year old guy near me to buy the game for me with my money. Worked nicely.

Last time I bought an M rated game at EB games.

Guy: are you 18?

Me: do you really care?

The guy just sorta laughed and rung up the game.

2k2_zx2 said:
For a moment, I didnt know my age, (which was 21 btw)

It gets worse as you get older. I have no idea how old I am unless I work it out. Probably my mind's way of making sure I don't go insane... :D

I think Gamestop is the worst for this. They ask check and everything and your parents have to be there if you are under 17 or 18 or whatever they feel like saying that day. Being under 18 sucks when buying M rated games. lol at any store I can buy all the R rated movies I can carry but for games not gonna happen. Amazon and Steam have never carded me so I buy from them most of the time.

Psychotext said:
It gets worse as you get older. I have no idea how old I am unless I work it out. Probably my mind's way of making sure I don't go insane... :D

The sad thing is I was born Jan of '80 so figuring my age out should be just taking the last number of the current year and putting a 2 in front of it for this decade.

When in doubt, google "Age Calculator" and see what you are.

I was with my mom at Best Buy and she got carded... and she's over 50.

You whippersnappers need to enjoy being carded. When they stop carding you, it means you are getting old. ;)

i guess is depends who is working, some people will card according to there own self policy, or what kind of mood they are in.
never had that hassle with games yet,
even when i buy booze i reach for my id and every so often the cashier(s) would say "dont bother", its good to be 19 in canada.

I am in deed a whippersnapper

My EB always cards, but I rarely go there since their PC selection is so shitty so I dont really care.

I used to get carded all the time at Best Buy and EB. However, now that the people working the counter at those stores recognize me, I am no longer carded. I think it's a great idea, but it still doesn't do anything to keep stupid parents from buying little Johnny a copy of Grand Theft Auto 18.

couple years ago i got carded at toys r us and once at gamestop. it was so lame cause i wasn't old enough to buy resident evil 2

I buy my games at walmart, and every time they scan a game the register goes off like an alarm. Punch a few buttons "may I see some ID sir", pull out my drivers liscense and im out. Might just be walmart though, they check ID on alcohol sales even if your 90 years old with a walker and no teeth.

For my summer book money I'm a cashier at my local Wal-Mart. Yeah, the register always prompts us on age restricted items, which includes booze/games/movies/paint/medicine. We are SUPPOSTED to punch the DoB into the register if the customer is under 27 and let the all knowing computer tell us if you are 18/21. I don't personally do that, it takes too much time and I'm not that stupid that I can't tell you age by looking at your birthday...

But personally, I've never been carded when I bought M rated games. I've only been carded for a movie once and that was for South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. I was 15 at the time and I went with my 22 year old sister. But other than that, I've never had any problems buying games...

i have had COUNTLESS arguements with the people at rogers video, but im sure everyone has, but i have never been checked at bestbuy/futureshop when buying a game....

but my favorite experiance with age restriction was when i went to a concert. guy at the front takes my ticket and asks "are you eighteen" i thought i was toast, i didnt even know it wasnt all ages....
"no" i reply, turning around as i say it.
"ok, go right on through..." he said. and he said it in the most monotanous voice i have ever heard. it was a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in vancouver.

I was like 16(3 years ago) I went into Gamestop to buy MGS:2 I think. My mom was with me and when I went to pay for the game the guy turned to my mom and was like "Did you know this game is rated mature for sexual ... , violence blah blah" I wanted to smack him because he like yelled it.

Gamestop used to always be a dick about the M rated, so I would just go to Target next door and they ask how old you are and I just gave them my birthday but altered the year :)

What was really sad was on my 19th birthday I went to Canada, my sister who is 21 ordered a drink and they carded her, when I got a drink they didnt card me :) pissed her off.

Shakezilla said:
What was really sad was on my 19th birthday I went to Canada, my sister who is 21 ordered a drink and they carded her, when I got a drink they didnt card me :) pissed her off.

Your sister was pissed off because someone thought she looked younger than she is?!!? What sort of woman is she? :p

I was at Circuit City and they were pretty anal about carding me. I had been trying to buy an M-rated game, and I have enough at home that I didnt even think that he wanted to see my ID. He goes, "Do you have an ID?" "Huh?" "Do you have an ID? This game is rated Mature." ".....OH! Right! My driver's license is in my car way back in the parking lot." "Well you're going to need it to buy this game."

God, that guy must have been PARANOID to sell such a satanic game (Riddick) to today's youth.....

I had to run all the way back to my car to get my ID (left in another set of pants), then pay for the game.

Never been carded for a game yet... but I look fairly old. I was in line at Wal Mart once, getting cigarettes, and they carded the 23 year old in front of me. I was 17 at the time, nearly crapped my pants when I realized they were carding. It was too late to put the cigarettes back, so I just went through the line. Didn't get carded :D. It's funny that I never got carded when I was 17 buying cigarettes... but once I turned 18 I got carded a lot :p

CmaN3 said:
Last time I bought an M rated game at EB games.

Guy: are you 18?

Me: do you really care?

The guy just sorta laughed and rung up the game.

LOL!!.. where you 18?

I've never been carded trying to buy a game.

I used to work at Circuit City and I think we were technically supposed to card people who were buying M rated games, R rated movies, or Parental Advisory CDs or something, but I never bothered. Media wasn't my department, I made no commission off of people buying CDs, DVDs, or games, so I wanted them out the door as soon as possible when someone snagged me with a handful of those things (never knew when that 2 minutes you spent ringing up a fist of CDs or a couple PS2 games was going to mean someone else snagged the guy about to buy a 61" TV). Plus, the management didn't really care, it was probably one of those corporate policies on the books to make the govt. types happy.

All in all, I don't really agree with the whole carding for M rated games (or the whole movie rating system either for that matter). Whatever is in the game, movie, CD, whatever, is going to be exposed to the minor is question no matter what, whether it be through a friend, TV with a few key words changed, etc. Instead of trying to hide 'mature' content we should take the approach of educating people from early on how to deal with it responsibly. Plus, by the time you are old enough to be out shopping for this stuff without your parents around, you're pretty much old enough to be able to handle it anyway.

I just bough HL:E1 and the girl didn't card me (I'm 23 so I would hope not) but I was carded by the guy who watches the exit at best buy. I took 1 look at him, laughed, walked out.

When I was like 13 a long time ago, when I went to gamestop I would buy M rated games all the time, probably because I bought so many there, lol. I remember shopko being really gh3y about cd's though, like if I tried to buy a PA cd and my mom was standing right there, I couldn't buy it, she had to buy it for me... :rolleyes:. Welcome to the 21st century...

Stu55 said:
Welcome to the 21st century...

Amen to that. The reason so many of today's kids are fucked up isn't because of video games, it's because of all the medicine parents pump into them instead of teaching them values at an early age, and how afraid parents are to use well deserved corporal punishment when the situation dictates (I still remember the beating I got when I decided it was a good idea to 'polish' my parent's shoes with field onions, and that that was when I was 10 at most).

NulloModo said:
Amen to that. The reason so many of today's kids are fucked up isn't because of video games, it's because of all the medicine parents pump into them instead of teaching them values at an early age, and how afraid parents are to use well deserved corporal punishment when the situation dictates (I still remember the beating I got when I decided it was a good idea to 'polish' my parent's shoes with field onions, and that that was when I was 10 at most).

I hear that brother... I took some good ol' beatins from my dad when I was younger. Now a days, you even spank your kid and next thing you know child services is taking him away and a lawyer is sueing you.

WTF, I think this is a part of the problem with todays youth and the reason we need to card these messed up kids. If you kid gets way outa line, smack him in the ass. If he calls you a "fucker" smack him upside the head. If he steals from you break out the yard stick and give him 5 raps on the ass! Thats how it was for me and I'll tell you what, I learned how to tell what is right and what is wrong!

I like it when the employee has this expression on his face like he's doing his "loyal duty" to card you....like he's all proud and mighty.

Majin said:
I hear that brother... I took some good ol' beatins from my dad when I was younger. Now a days, you even spank your kid and next thing you know child services is taking him away and a lawyer is sueing you.

WTF, I think this is a part of the problem with todays youth and the reason we need to card these messed up kids. If you kid gets way outa line, smack him in the ass. If he calls you a "fucker" smack him upside the head. If he steals from you break out the yard stick and give him 5 raps on the ass! Thats how it was for me and I'll tell you what, I learned how to tell what is right and what is wrong!

And a story from yesterday...

I am a teacher, and I had this one girl in my class who ended up with a C at the end of the marking period because she decided to mess around in my class instead of doing her work. She came to me, asking if she could do an extra credit assignment to bring it up to a B so she could still make honor society and all. I agreed, she's a nice enough kid, I told her to write a two page single spaced report on any composer (this is a general music class).

What she turned in was blatantly plagiarized word for word from some website. I confronted her mom about it (no need to get a girl expelled for academic dishonesty on the second to last day of school) and what do I get? She gets in my face and comes at me because "[my daughter] worked for over two hours on the computer on that". Yeah, she spent 10 minutes searching on google and hitting copy-paste, and the rest of the time chatting with friends on AIM.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest, even if it is OT.

NulloModo said:
Yeah, she spent 10 minutes searching on google and hitting copy-paste, and the rest of the time chatting with friends on AIM.
Bah, when I was a kid we had to copy our assignments from books. Of course, the advantage of that was you could change it just enough as you were re-writing it... Plus you actually had to read the damn thing. :D

Psychotext said:
Bah, when I was a kid we had to copy our assignments from books. Of course, the advantage of that was you could change it just enough as you were re-writing it... Plus you actually had to read the damn thing. :D

If she had bothered to change it a bit it would have failed my random 'pick a line of text and see if it gets a hit on google' check. She didn't. Lazy slacker chick should technically get held back for academic fraud but I don't want to fill out the paperwork or go to the school board hearing.

I get carded each time I want to buy an M game from gamestop. Granted I don't buy many but it can be annoying >_>

btw nullo did you give her the extra credit? :p

Back