Has SLI support gotten better?

Works great with Overwatch. I couldn't believe the game actually shows "GTX 980 SLI" as my video card. Impressive.

But it will also run really well on a GTX 750 TI @ 1080p on high, you might not even be able to tell if SLI is working well.

Fallout 4's awful performance on my Radeon 280x Crossfire setup is one of the biggest reasons I decided to upgrade to a GTX 1070. There are also a few games that just never worked with Crossfire like Titanfall, I just gave up and disabled it. Multi-card setups are a pain, maybe it will get better with direct X 12, but I won't believe it until after it happens.

But it will also run really well on a GTX 750 TI @ 1080p on high, you might not even be able to tell if SLI is working well.

Fallout 4's awful performance on my Radeon 280x Crossfire setup is one of the biggest reasons I decided to upgrade to a GTX 1070. There are also a few games that just never worked with Crossfire like Titanfall, I just gave up and disabled it. Multi-card setups are a pain, maybe it will get better with direct X 12, but I won't believe it until after it happens.

It will probably get worse with DX12 due to the fact that enabling and optimizing for it is 100% on the game developer now. Just look at Rise of the Tomb Raider's DX12 SLI implementation. That's right, it isn't even enabled - but it is in DX11.

SLI isn't nearly as 'bad' as it used to be in terms of support (both from games and Nvidia themselves), but after running two 970s in SLI over the last 5 or 6 months I'm glad to be moving back to a single card solution for now. SLI still has it's umm.... eccentricities and complications.

Question for you: did you see much performance change between 970 SLI and a single 1080? I'm running 970 SLI now and have been thinking about either a 1070 or 1080, but not sure if it would be a huge performance loss. Running 1440 resolution.

I've been an SLI fanboi for a long while.. since I had a pair of 6800gt's. Never really had any issues with it, it usually just worked. I had way more issues with 3-display surround and was sort of happy to abandon that for a 40" 4k tv as my display.. That said I used 970sli on that 4k setup for a while and it performed better than expected but not as well as I wanted. So for the first time in a long time I am now back on a single card (1080 FE @ 2ghz) and really happy with it. Eventually I might add another or maybe I will go the ti or titan route - who knows. Obviously scaling issues and some incompatibility with SLI could is a turn off but I rarely ran into those issues.. maybe I got lucky?

Oh I can tell. I'm running Overwatch @ 1080p, 144fps with Ultra settings and everything maxed. That's not going to happen on a 750Ti.

I've been an SLI fanboi for a long while.. since I had a pair of 6800gt's. Never really had any issues with it, it usually just worked. I had way more issues with 3-display surround and was sort of happy to abandon that for a 40" 4k tv as my display.. That said I used 970sli on that 4k setup for a while and it performed better than expected but not as well as I wanted. So for the first time in a long time I am now back on a single card (1080 FE @ 2ghz) and really happy with it. Eventually I might add another or maybe I will go the ti or titan route - who knows. Obviously scaling issues and some incompatibility with SLI could is a turn off but I rarely ran into those issues.. maybe I got lucky?
Nah, I have had good luck with my SLI also. I dare say the ones saying it sucks or whine about not playing all the games are the same ones who have never HAD SLI. And if they did and had problems, they probably had an incompatible MB or power supply or just had no business inside a PC.

Question for you: did you see much performance change between 970 SLI and a single 1080? I'm running 970 SLI now and have been thinking about either a 1070 or 1080, but not sure if it would be a huge performance loss. Running 1440 resolution.

Totally worth going from 970 SLI to a 1080, at least in my situation and in my opinion. The 1080 performs on paper and in benchmarks slightly better than the 970 SLI (~17,000 vs ~15,000 in Fire Strike on the system in my sig), but I'm now dealing with a single card which equals MUCH cooler operation. And the single card is less hassle - it's going to work with everything whereas SLI can be a crap shoot.

FWIW, my new 1080 kicks the crap out of my old 970sli Fire Strike score.. 15k vs 19k. It's a significant upgrade in every way, gpu horse power, video memory, runs cooler, uses less power..

Back