Has Nintendo gotten real lazy this gen?

And I own all three consoles, that's not a bad showing by the wii. And I don't think 720p would have changed anything for me.

I don't think anybody would argue that Quake 2 is more enjoyable at 800x600 than 640x480 even though you play "the exact same game". The same principals apply to console titles. When I see videos on youtube of people playing Wii games at HD resolutions on emulators I sigh. Increased resolution for rendering polygons does improve my experience.

No, nor even 1080p.

Except for a very small amount of game titles, the other consoles don't run games at 1080p. The other consoles can't even run the most graphically intense games at 720. They run less than that and scale them up.

All the consoles are outdated now. Maybe Nintendo will be the first with a new generation console.

Except for a very small amount of game titles, the other consoles don't run games at 1080p. The other consoles can't even run the most graphically intense games at 720. They run less than that and scale them up.

True.

All the consoles are outdated now. Maybe Nintendo will be the first with a new generation console.

That'd be cool but frankly, they have no incentive to rush anything.

How are Nintendo's profits?

Kicking ass and taking names.

'Nuff said.

Only way that I will ever buy another nintendo console/system will be if they..

1- Make a normal system. No gimics.
2- Make a normal controller. No more remotes. No more gimmicks.
3- Cut off the 3rd party lock. Accept that some games weren't made for 5 year olds.

Until then, I won't touch another one of their systems.

3- Cut off the 3rd party lock. Accept that some games weren't made for 5 year olds.

Never happen as much as I'd like it to.

From their perspective: Why should they?

I think Nintendo did the "right thing" with the Wii. You can already choose between two different systems where like 90% of the available titles are the same...do we really need Nintendo to join MS and Sony in that regard? I don't think so.

That'd be cool but frankly, they have no incentive to rush anything.

They wouldn't be rushing. The N64 lasted 5 years, the Gamecube lasted 5 years, and this fall the Wii will be 5 years old.

There are advantages to being the first out with a new system. Also the Wii is no longer selling like it was.

Mad World and No More Heroes put that 5 year old crap to rest.

@ryken, it seems the problem isn't Nintendo, it's the fact that you just happened to grow up, much like everyone in this thread.

I honestly can't really think of a time when Nintendo didn't focus on the younger demographic, and why should they change? It's served them well. Extremely well.

We've all grown up, and are thus are no longer part of their core demographic. We are, in essence, on the outside looking in, and now that we are no longer part of their target demographic, we realize just how much they've been lagging behind. When you're a kid, you don't really give a shit. Now we're older, and short on time, so when we spend our money (which we spend our time earning) on a console, we at least expect that there should be a fair amount of quality First party titles and some new IPs.

I dunno, I just feel that everyone in here wants Nintendo to turn around and cater to the older, more hardcore demographic. But why should they? Sony and Microsoft are already whoring that group out. That fact, combined with the amount of revenue they've garnered by focusing on the young and casual demographics, well, there really isn't much incentive to change, is there?

I know what you are saying, and I agree with it to a certain extent, but not completely. Games like Goldeneye, Mortal Kombat, Turok, Techmo Super Bowl, Madden, Mega Man, Double Dragon, Contra, etc. weren't kiddie games at all. In fact, most NES games were hard as hell.

I think NES has given up trying to be a great "gaming" company and has instead decided to try and be "the gaming company that everyone, including your mom, plays." I know it has made them profitable overall, but I think it's going to hurt them long term.

I know what you are saying, and I agree with it to a certain extent, but not completely. Games like Goldeneye, Mortal Kombat, Turok, Techmo Super Bowl, Madden, Mega Man, Double Dragon, Contra, etc. weren't kiddie games at all. In fact, most NES games were hard as hell.

I think NES has given up trying to be a great "gaming" company and has instead decided to try and be "the gaming company that everyone, including your mom, plays." I know it has made them profitable overall, but I think it's going to hurt them long term.

You're aware there are new contras and megamans that you can download onto the Wii correct?

Nintendo hasnt kicked ass since the snes imo, even though n64 had a few classics when I was a kid, they really haven't imo.

Nintendo hasnt kicked ass since the snes imo, even though n64 had a few classics when I was a kid, they really haven't imo.

Do you mean compared to other systems or something? The 64 had a bunch of good games that were only on the 64 (back then). Yeah the PS1 had some great games to but the Genesis had a lot of good games when it was competing with the snes. All their bread and butter games were great on that system and they had others.

Mario 64
Zelda OoT
Star Fox 64
DK64
Mario Kart 64
Turok 64
Super Smash Brothers
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Conquers Bad Fur Day
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head but theres more to.

I ditched my Wii a little while ago. Loaded a bunch of games on to a USB external and left it at my in-laws and taught my 14-year-old brother in law how to wallhack and aimbot in Call of Duty. Hopefully he can get some lols out of it.

Funny people advocate Nintendo piracy here and yet scream and bitch about PC piracy, it's laughable.

Funny people advocate Nintendo piracy here and yet scream and bitch about PC piracy, it's laughable.

Because if it's a brand that someone "hates" then it's ok.

That's basically the ethos around here. Mention "Apple" or "Sony" and it's the same thing.

They wouldn't be rushing. The N64 lasted 5 years, the Gamecube lasted 5 years, and this fall the Wii will be 5 years old.

There are advantages to being the first out with a new system. Also the Wii is no longer selling like it was.

They plateaued a while back but still selling strong.

Past that, I agree with what you're saying but I think Nintendo is going to milk this position for as long as they possibly can since their primary market really doesn't care about new hardware.

Last edited:

I played all those games when I was less than 15, possibly 14. Most of the NES ones when I was around 10. They weren't kiddie games in the sense of flowers and bunnies running around, but nor were they particularly adult. Nor does hard = adult. As I get older I tend to play on lower difficulty settings if anything :p

I played all those games when I was less than 15, possibly 14. Most of the NES ones when I was around 10. They weren't kiddie games in the sense of flowers and bunnies running around, but nor were they particularly adult. Nor does hard = adult. As I get older I tend to play on lower difficulty settings if anything :p

but they were more adult than 90% of the Wii market which is basically nintendogs, dress up mary kate and ashley olson, etc.

At the time, those were AAA quality games and "adult" compared to the other games available on those consoles. That is, they were more mature than Mario/Zelda. Now, Mario/Zelda are some of the most adult games on the system.

I think they need to come out with new titles for the hardcore gamers but then again Nintendo is more of a family system, but really why haven't they come out with a 1080p system yet??? lol and they call the wii a next Gen system:D

I don't hate Nintendo, they just need to quit all the rehashing and just fucking innovate already.

but they were more adult than 90% of the Wii market which is basically nintendogs, dress up mary kate and ashley olson, etc.

At the time, those were AAA quality games and "adult" compared to the other games available on those consoles. That is, they were more mature than Mario/Zelda. Now, Mario/Zelda are some of the most adult games on the system.

that is not the Wii market, any more than the PC gaming market is all Farmville and Bejeweled.

Maybe you're just not in the target audience. Sales of the console have slowed, but it's still selling well. Game sales seem to be decent too, although as a platform the Wii (again) has the lowest attach rate this generation.

Maybe you're just not in the target audience. Sales of the console have slowed, but it's still selling well. Game sales seem to be decent too, although as a platform the Wii (again) has the lowest attach rate this generation.

Their business plan is different. The Wii might not sell as many games on the platform, but compare the sales of it's best selling games to those on other platforms, in general Nintendos titles crush everythign else out there.

And a lot of the other stuff that floats the other consoles is... junk. I really don't find CoD or GoW, or Halo all that impressive, in fact I think they all suck. As far as original IPs that came out this generation, only 4 have wow'd me in the sense that they were new and really daring.

Valkyria Chronicles, totally impressed. Very deep game, interesting art style, extremely complex if you want it to be, and loads of gameplay from it. I do find it sad that SEGA moved it from the PS3 to the PSP, but oh well, you make more money from handhelds anyways.

Demons Souls, bat shit fucking hard. I'm rather shocked someone had the balls to release that hard of a game. I'm glad it's spawned another, and I'm buying that sucker day 1.

No more heroes. While it drags at time, it's still hilarious and the boss battles are epic. True, it's a one trick game (the boss battles) but it's stupid fun, I'm glad they made another.

Mad World. The art style is epic, and I'm shocked a game that bloody and silly managed to get published on any platform, let alone the damn Wii. The commentary is also crazy.

I'll admit I own less physical disks for the Wii, but the games that stand out on the Wii really do stand out. Somewhat the same on the PS3, but I can't find anything that stands out on my 360 that isn't also on the PS3 or the PC.

Were it not for the fighting games, if I could only keep one console, I'd keep the Wii.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/08/playstation-chief-nintendo-makes-‘babysitting-tools’/

I know Sony is another brand that gets the fanboy pitchforks out in a hurry and especially when their people talk trash but I'll be damned if I don't essentially agree with this at least as far as some of his Nintendo comments though. As usual, I think brushing off the competition overall like he's doing here is laughable at best although from a tech standpoint I think he makes some good points.

The thing is, though, Jack: It's worked for Nintendo. And MS? Whatever they've been doing has been working just fine for them, too.

I do think both the 360 and the Wii especially are a bit long in the tooth hardware wise.

Last edited:
Their business plan is different. The Wii might not sell as many games on the platform, but compare the sales of it's best selling games to those on other platforms, in general Nintendos titles crush everythign else out there.
For a few titles, yes. Otherwise you're looking at the snake swallowing it's own tail. ;)

Third party developer support lags because the attach rate is low and Nintendo itself makes a very large portion of the titles that do sell. That's not a bad thing. Nintendo generally makes very good games for the platform. It knows its customers.

Nintendo's plan didn't necessarily mean to discourage 3rd party developers, but that's how it works in practice.

Speaking broadly: A lot of people, if not most, typically buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. Third party is a nice bonus. If you really want third party you buy another system to complement that Nintendo system. It's been that way since post SNES for the most part by my reckoning.

YMMV

Valkyria Chronicles, totally impressed. Very deep game, interesting art style, extremely complex if you want it to be, and loads of gameplay from it. I do find it sad that SEGA moved it from the PS3 to the PSP, but oh well, you make more money from handhelds anyways.

I don't think it was money. I believe Sony really wants to get as many killer exclusives on the PSP as possible to compete against Nintendo and spur interest in the PSP which seems to be lagging sadly. The PSP has a very high piracy rate, I'm sure the sequel would have sold better on the PS3 rather than the PSP.

I don't think it was money. I believe Sony really wants to get as many killer exclusives on the PSP as possible to compete against Nintendo and spur interest in the PSP which seems to be lagging sadly. The PSP has a very high piracy rate, I'm sure the sequel would have sold better on the PS3 rather than the PSP.

Not really. Many developers have complained that big budget console/PC games are just too dangerous to release as exclusives. You pretty much roll the dice, release on all 3, and hope it sells enough cross platform to make it worth it.

Comparatively, releases on mobile platforms are extremely cheap to make, and very easy to get your money back. Hence why even id and epic are jumping all over the iphone. And if you look at the PSP and the DS, well they are doing better than the consoles by a pretty good margin.

I have a feeling we might see a Wii 2 or Wii HD next year with the slow title output. Right now they released the 3DS. Give a year or so after the console isn't so fresh and release a Wii 2 since the current gen is going to last to 2015. People crave the lastest tech that and if it can run that Unreal 4 Engine. I'm sure they'd get enough interest for the more hardcore market since MS/Sony couldnt run it for 3 years after it comes out.

Mad World

Yes, but Mad World is an excellent game idea made completely unplayable by the piss-poor 480p resolution AND ZERO AA. So larger levels become a mismash of messy artifacts in the distance, and it's impossible to figure out where you should be going.

Of course, the platform that really could have made that title shine (PC) will NEVER see it.

For a few titles, yes. Otherwise you're looking at the snake swallowing it's own tail. ;)

Third party developer support lags because the attach rate is low and Nintendo itself makes a very large portion of the titles that do sell. That's not a bad thing. Nintendo generally makes very good games for the platform. It knows its customers.

Nintendo's plan didn't necessarily mean to discourage 3rd party developers, but that's how it works in practice.

99% of why I buy a Nintendo system is for Mario/Metroid/Zelda, and it is well worth it. If there is a third party game exclusive to it that I want, great, but that is total gravy and I'm not expecting it. I expect to play everything else on my PC/360/PS3.

^ agree. Our whole family still loves to play mario kart. I think that's the main reason I hold on to the wii, it has a lot of family-friendly games.

My wii has been a dust collector since I got tired of it 3 weeks after release.

I sold my Wii 3 weeks after release after I got tired of it for $450. You could have easily done the same.

Yes, but Mad World is an excellent game idea made completely unplayable by the piss-poor 480p resolution AND ZERO AA. So larger levels become a mismash of messy artifacts in the distance, and it's impossible to figure out where you should be going.

Of course, the platform that really could have made that title shine (PC) will NEVER see it.

How about running it on a Wii emulator on the PC? :confused:

i grew out of Nintendo games as my interest in platformers died, havent owned a Nintendo console since the SNES, and absolutely despise the Wii.
but Ill defend Nintendo here and say they are not getting lazy, its just that there's only so much a single developer can deliver to a console. While most of their games are not my cup of tea anymore, they are almost all very well made, which takes time to do. They just failed to get serious third party devs to make AAA titles for the Wii.

How about running it on a Wii emulator on the PC? :confused:

Yeah, I just tried that last night. After some optimization, it runs full-speed on my rig (2500K stock, GTX 460 1GB), and it looks GOOD. I guess I need to invest in a Bluetooth adapter :D

Of course, nothing is going to change the fact that the controls still have their issues...I absolutely hate the "let's replace a button press with a directional jerk" phenomenon that has overtaken everything on the Wii, and the sad fact is most games (including Mad World) do not have support for any alternative (like say, the classic controller)

...unless the emulator can simulate a stupid motion control with a button press. Now that would be a breakthrough!

My wife begged me for 3 years to get a Wii. So I finally picked up a used one with a ton of games off of Craigslist and she's played it maybe 4 or 5 times. It's been collecting dust ever since.

Back