Has Nintendo gotten real lazy this gen?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
It really saddens me how they've handled the Wii. Before they had AAA coming out left and right, now we're lucky to see one every 6 months, and whenever we ask about new games all they say is "Wait till E3". Even the 3DS' eshop isn't up and running, what's the deal? Have they just decided to screw all the hardcore gamers and gamers that grew up playing Nintendo classics?

I would be happy if they would simply come out with a new Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart. Whats with this one per system thing?

If you'd honestly be happier with them just rehashing games over and over again, then so be it - but most people would get tired of it. I say give 'em time.

If you'd honestly be happier with them just rehashing games over and over again, then so be it - but most people would get tired of it. I say give 'em time.

This. You can't just pump out AAA titles every month. Quality takes time.

My wii has been a dust collector since I got tired of it 3 weeks after release.

My wii has been a dust collector since I got tired of it 3 weeks after release.

I don't understand this complaint. Wii was a hot item - and if you weren't using it only three weeks after getting it, then why didn't you sell it for a HUGE PROFIT!!??! :p

Nintendo is just rehashing SNES games since the Wii has lost its novelty value. Nintendo has got quite lazy and complacent...whether it's out of being jaded because of MS and Sony coming along with their motion-control devices or just plain disinterest in developing new games and IPs is the real question.

I never expected them to pump out AAA games every month, what I do expect is they have some idea of what games that are in the works for us to look forward to. Microsoft and Sony don't seem to have that problem.

They need to innovate instead of putting out the same sequel of a sequel of a sequel of sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel of a sequel.

-Metroid prime 3
-donkey kong country returns
-new super mario brothers
-super mario galaxy
-super mario galaxy 2
-super smash bros. brawl
-legend of zelda the twilight princess
-legend of zelda skyward sword (soon)
-mario kart wii

All amazing games by nintendo for the wii. The problem is the wiis hardware is such a pos compared to the 360/PS3/PC that 3rd party developers don't take it seriously. And nintendo can't crank out as many great games as the 3rd party developers combined all by itself. The N64 was the last nintendo console to have good 3rd party support (although a lot of that was rareware, god I miss them).

-Metroid prime 3
-donkey kong country returns
-new super mario brothers
-super mario galaxy
-super mario galaxy 2
-super smash bros. brawl
-legend of zelda the twilight princess
-legend of zelda skyward sword (soon)
-mario kart wii

All amazing games by nintendo for the wii. The problem is the wiis hardware is such a pos compared to the 360/PS3/PC that 3rd party developers don't take it seriously. And nintendo can't crank out as many great games as the 3rd party developers combined all by itself. The N64 was the last nintendo console to have good 3rd party support (although a lot of that was rareware, god I miss them).

And not one of them is an original IP.

And not one of them is an original IP.

Not too many original IP's these day's but that's true of most systems but even so I can think of a few original Wii games but most are 3rd party, I think Excitebots is the most original game Nintendo's made for the Wii so far besides other causal games like Wii Fit, Play, Sports, Music, Party and Resort.

That would be a valid statement if nintendo wasn't just as guilty, if not moreso, as everyone else of sequel-itis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nintendo is just rehashing SNES games since the Wii has lost its novelty value.

+1,000,000

I thought I was crazy for being the only one who thought this when everyone else would rush to Nintendo's defense. I enjoy the tried and true AAA titles, it's still the same damn game on a different console, only the graphics ever really change. Other than that they just pump out these super casual things (I won't even call them games, because they're not) such as Wii Fit. I give Nintendo props for trying something different with controls when nobody else at the time was, but figured it was only a matter of time before the motion control was picked up (and improved upon) by the other consoles. And as the Wii's only real feature, without it it's just an underpowered box. It can't even do anything beyond 480p for shit's sake. I know graphics aren't everything, but come on. Crappy mobile devices at the time could output a higher resolution than that.

Last edited:
Nintendo lazy and rehashing old titles? How the fuck did this information get out, I better inform the Japanese Secret Service that "they know". Honestly, it's not just this generation, the difference between this generation and the last is that everyone has a Wii this time around and their lack of titles is more noticeable to people who actually care about gaming. I'm a sucker for Mario and Zelda as well, but with such a huge install base they are certainly dragging their feet quite a bit. I'm glad I sold mine ages ago, I just borrow my brother's any time I want to play a game. Most recently Donkey Kong and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Aside from that I've only had a real interest in the other Super Mario Galaxy.

It would be amazing if nintendo bought back Rare, or at least their IPs, and released some of their back catalog. Imagine DKC trilogy in 2.5d released as a Super Mario Allstars-esque package. A new banjo, conker, KI, JFG. Nintendo is in the perfect position to do this as they are THE platforming console. Morons on xbox or playstation only want COD released for the 28th time.

Not too many original IP's these day's but that's true of most systems but even so I can think of a few original Wii games but most are 3rd party, I think Excitebots is the most original game Nintendo's made for the Wii so far besides other causal games like Wii Fit, Play, Sports, Music, Party and Resort.

True enough but the Xbox 360 and PS3 have both had original and exclusive first-party IPs (Gears of War and Crackdown for the 360, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet for the PS3). There have been a few original IPs for the Wii like No More Heroes and MadWorld but none of them has been from Nintendo itself.

I'm pretty dark with Nintendo since it decided to slug Australians an extra US$100 for that 3DS piece of shit and make it region-locked so imported 3DS units won't play any locally-released games. My current self is beginning to merge with my 10-year-old extremist Sega fanboy when it comes to my view of Nintendo.

Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii, which they already did with Gamecube. Let it die a miserable 3rd party shovelware death. I want to say they did the same with N64 too.

Sure in the first 2 years, the titles are fun, even if they are rehashes of past games. New Mario, Metroid, Zelda. Maybe a few other unexpected gems like Eternal Darkness for Cube or No More Heroes on Wii. About year 3 nothing but crap. "Oh look, it’s Cooking Mama Extreme 10. This time you can customize your frying pan!"

It really saddens me how they've handled the Wii. Before they had AAA coming out left and right, now we're lucky to see one every 6 months, and whenever we ask about new games all they say is "Wait till E3". Even the 3DS' eshop isn't up and running, what's the deal? Have they just decided to screw all the hardcore gamers and gamers that grew up playing Nintendo classics?

I think somebody else has said it, but it's pretty much exactly the same thing that happened with Game Cube. We got a new entry in each of Nintendo's big franchises and a handful of third party titles.

I think somebody else has said it, but it's pretty much exactly the same thing that happened with Game Cube. We got a new entry in each of Nintendo's big franchises and a handful of third party titles.

There are some great third party titles for the Wii. A new Knights from Sega, great franchise glad to see it back. No More Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2, a quality shiki port (we normally don't see good shooters on console), Mad World, Muramasa/Demon blade, TVC. I could go on, but those are my favorites. There are more.

Nintendo is just in an odd situation that they can sell a console based off their own IP, nothing wrong with that.

Nintendo is just in an odd situation that they can sell a console based off their own IP, nothing wrong with that.

I agree and didn't mean to imply otherwise. I just meant to say that the wii and gamecube are pretty similar from a 3rd party development perspective. People who were unhappy with gamecube software choices probably won't like wii software choices either since the majority of the popular titles on both platforms seem to be from Nintendo.

I personally think the GC was much better than the Wii. I have tons of GC games but not that many Wii ones. Best third party game for the Wii is RE4 LMAO.

they can create something new with an existing IP, seems to work sometimes. Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Mario 64, FF7, etc... all relatively "new" compared to their previous incarnations IMO but yeah I agree most stuff after that "3D Transition" period have been pretty uninspiring... maybe when we get holographic games the devs will feel inspired and we get another iteration of good "new" games?

I don't mind Nintendo becoming more of the casual game company, I assume it's because there are two heavy hitters already doing the more hardcore crowd - and by "doing" i mean "screwing over"... nah, just kidding, well, kinda... ;)

IMO Nintendo is the laziest company for at least this gen and possibly even last gen.

Do they make tons of money with their stuff? Sure. When your products are cheap to manufacture (therefore weak hardware wise) and you mark them up accordingly, sure, you rake in the dough. Problem is Nintendo just doesn't "do" it for me anymore. I know they have to rely on their BnB (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers) but where's the new stuff? Where's Miyamoto's "next idea"?

Some of their rehashes, I really like. I can't deny the charm of the Paper Mario series or the excellent Other M. But I'm really sick of iteration after iteration of the same Mario and Zelda drivel. If they'd come out with a Wind Waker sequel I'd change my tune on Zelda; Mario, I could do without. Less is more with Mario at this point in my life. I know he's the mascot and all but he's turned into a whore. Even Sega didn't whore out Sonic this bad when he was the face of the Genesis.

I've now owned 2 Nintendo consoles I could have done without. (GC and Wii) I've enjoyed them on and off but this is it....no more Nintendo consoles for me. Same with the 3DS. Saw one at the store, "hey that's neat. Not $250 dollars neat, but it is neat." I'm done with Nintendo for the time being. Show me you can come up with something completely new and original more than 1x per console and I'll buy your product. And quit with the "friend codes". Use parental controls on your consoles for online play, but quit treating everyone like a 4 year old. Do something respectable with online play. Realize that SD cards are not an acceptable form of mass storage and that 480p is not good enough. Until then, there will be no new Nintendo consoles in my household.

Best third party game for the Wii is RE4 LMAO.
+1
If it wasn't for Resident Wiivel 4 I would have sold the Wii a long time ago. Now the only reason we've kept it is softmodding + the HBC.

Last edited:
Do they make tons of money with their stuff? Sure.

Stop. That's all that matters. The proof is in the pudding.

<snip>...Until then, there will be no new Nintendo consoles in my household.

I understand and even agree with a number of your complaints but frankly, they're never going to miss either you or me.

The sales speak for themselves. They know their marketplace and primary audience VERY well. You are not that nor am I.

Furthermore, they're the only company that broke the "rule" that's been in play in console gaming since at least the PS1 era if not even earlier where you're willing to lose your ass on hardware and hope to make it up on the sales of software and accessories.

To be fair: Nintendo took the GameCube, overclocked it a little bit, added the motion sensing gimmick, and repackaged it as the Wii. That's well documented by now. People have even torn apart both consoles and put up pics side by side. The Wii literally is an overclocked GameCube, in essence.

That's economically brilliant. They know their audience and market, who they're shooting for, what they're trying to do, and they execute it.

Is that for everyone? No. I'm not really big on a lot of what they've been doing, either, but guess what? It doesn't matter.

Original IPs? They still make great, original game and outdo just about everyone else in that regard even if I personally don't care about a lot of it myself in their current incarnations.

I prefer 2D platformers and such and I couldn't care less about motion sensing.

YMMV.

If they ever come out with a true HD system with HD video and HD audio that retro plays everything from their past and gives me access to anything new from them that I might want, I'll buy it. It doesn't need to play movies, stream Netflix, kiss my ass , or do anything else but give me Nintendo games in HD video and audio. That's all it has to do and I'll buy it.

But not anything less than that.

I've been a huge fan of nintendo my whole life. I've owned all the consoles, plus gameboy and DS. That being said, I'm done with Nintendo. It's just stale now. They've decided that kids are what they want to cater to, and until I have kids of my own, I just don't see me buying/playing their hardware anymore.

I've been a huge fan of the big N my whole life as well...
And It's not so much the company that's the problem but the image it gets as a kiddie console. I really don't understand this when Nintendo never denied one of the most violent games I've ever played get pasted their pearly gates (Madworld). But because of this perception 3rd parties don't take it seriously and don't develop for it and it suffers and the sigma gets worse. This has been happening since the cube. and I can't really understand it

I understand and agree that they made it all so much worse by not really pushing the wii hardware wise and just introduce a GC w/ motion controls. And therefore creating a jackknife in the development cycle, and intentionally making it more difficult to produce games that are multiplatform on because they will have to go through extra work to get it workable with the wii's hardware.

I'm also not a fan of the fact that the wii has turn into a glorified masterbation simulator; with it's "motion controlls" how many games requires me to shake a shaft in front of my face. motion plus is a great thing, but too little too late.

I really just wish N would give me more Zelda games and fix the online Smash play. TP was not a wii game it was a GC game. I also wish we could have another freaking Mario Party game. they were cranking those things out like we bomb other countries now there is nothing.

And games with no widescreen support make me want to punch nuns... (it's 2011)

@ryken, it seems the problem isn't Nintendo, it's the fact that you just happened to grow up, much like everyone in this thread.

I honestly can't really think of a time when Nintendo didn't focus on the younger demographic, and why should they change? It's served them well. Extremely well.

We've all grown up, and are thus are no longer part of their core demographic. We are, in essence, on the outside looking in, and now that we are no longer part of their target demographic, we realize just how much they've been lagging behind. When you're a kid, you don't really give a shit. Now we're older, and short on time, so when we spend our money (which we spend our time earning) on a console, we at least expect that there should be a fair amount of quality First party titles and some new IPs.

I dunno, I just feel that everyone in here wants Nintendo to turn around and cater to the older, more hardcore demographic. But why should they? Sony and Microsoft are already whoring that group out. That fact, combined with the amount of revenue they've garnered by focusing on the young and casual demographics, well, there really isn't much incentive to change, is there?

I don't think 480p was a bad call for them. I mean, really now. No matter how much you dress up the graphics of say Mario it's still going to be cartoon style graphics, and that's fine.

Some graphic styles just don't benefit as much from super high resolutions. If I look at Hokuto No Ken (Atomiswave 2d, 480), compared to Blaz Blue (Taito X2 or PS3/360 720p), and Street Fighter HD Remix (360/ps3/ 1080p) the jump in resolution doesn't make the games look that much more impressive, if at all when the games are actually running. And that's simply due to the fact that they are all cartoon style games, they look like animes.

View games are like movies, for some things the higher resolution and details make a world of difference, for others they really don't. Nintendos own IPs have always been more about stylistic choices rather than making it as real as possible, so I don't see higher resolution as something that really applies to them.

I still contend that Muramasa is one of the best looking games for this generation period, if you dig it's style....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTovZhrPpQ&feature=related that's 480p and it feels like you are playing a painting.

Compared to a 1080p 2d PS3 game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz64W6AUTjw

And keep in mind that when the consoles first hit, not that many people owned an HDTV, so it didn't really matter.

Nintendo is smart, they design consoles that will work for the games they want to make, and that most people can use. And they sell them at a profit and they sell like gang busters based of their own IP. If you want to join the gravy train, hop on, some devs crank out great stuff, others just create crap.

I also don't think a game like Mad World would have ever made it past the ESRB had it not been for the fact that the art style made it entirely unrealistic and comical.

To me, Nintendo should just deal with handhelds.. Since N64, their regular console systems have sucked horribly.

They can't even make good use of their motion capture anymore...it just sucks.

I can't argue with Nintendo's decision to stay at 480p from a business perspective. They're doing just fine. However; as a consumer of their products I wish the Wii output at a higher resolution. Most LCD/plasma HDTVs TVs are really really bad at upscaling 480p content and it ends up looking terrible in the living room. Even most xbox and PS3 games render at below 720p but at least they put a nice hardware scaler in the console so that when the signal gets to the TV it doesn't have to be distorted in order to be displayed.

If Wii was capable of outputting 1080p (even if it rendered internally at 480p) I might have one in my living room right now just for playing virtual console titles.

I still contend that Muramasa is one of the best looking games for this generation period, if you dig it's style....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzTovZhrPpQ&feature=related that's 480p and it feels like you are playing a painting.

Compared to a 1080p 2d PS3 game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz64W6AUTjw

That's not really a fair comparison. For one thing, that PS3 game is not 2D. The only "2D" games I can think of for PS3 or 360 would be fighters like Blaz Blu or KOF. The animation is not as smooth as Muramasa, but each frame has more detail. For what it's worth the older KOFs and Guilty Gears in standard-def didn't look as good as Muramasa does either.

Also, WOW! I'd never seen Muramasa before it looks really good.

Stop. That's all that matters. The proof is in the pudding.

They're out to get money, nothing more nothing less. Sony and Microsoft are only out to get money also. BUT their consoles have more features. They may not make as much as Nintendo, but their console owners are probably* happier in general/more satisfied with their purchase.

*Obviously this depends on the user; I know that's the case for me and everyone I know who also grew up with Nintendo (and Atari and Colecovision before Nintendo) and owns a Wii and a 360 and/or Ps3. (I own all 3.)

I understand and even agree with a number of your complaints but frankly, they're never going to miss either you or me.

The sales speak for themselves. They know their marketplace and primary audience VERY well. You are not that nor am I.

As I've said here before, I don't doubt that at all, but they're either ignoring the blatantly obvious, or they have something up their sleeve. What is that, you ask? The majority of Wii owners and users are women, casual gamers who have never purchased a console before, and the elderly.

In all of those groups, what's the likelihood that they're going to buy a 2nd console, let alone a Nintendo one, when the one they have now (the Wii) meets their needs?

The % is extremely low. That's just common sense. You don't need a PR firm and product research to tell that. All 3 of those groups have already spent their lives up until this point being frivolous towards videogame consoles; what's to say that just because they purchased 1 now that they won't play it until the end of time (for all intents and purposes)?

Nintendo is ahead now. They have the sales now. However if I were a Nintendo investor, I would be just a wee bit hesitant about the future. The Wii has sold like gangbusters, there's no two bones about it. But will the Wii successor do the same? I highly doubt it. Nintendo has already alienated (what they refer to as "core gamers") because their console library is paltry compared to the competition, and their console is the worst place for any GOOD 3rd party titles. That's 1 group of Wii owners. Then you have the 3 I listed above. That's essentially 90% of the Wii ownership (if not more). They may not care about you or I now, but when they realize that we are the only surefire potential fans that always come to the table with our wallets open and gaming in our hearts.....sorry, I don't think their future is so bright after the Wii experiment has finished.

I have no complaints about Nintendo but the Wii is just finished in my mind. It was great while it lasted but as soon as I got myself a nice plasma TV my Wii basically became useless. If only they could have got to 720P at least we would have had a Zelda and Metroid Trilogy and Mario Galaxy games that stood some scrutiny, but as it is those games, as good as they are are utterly obsolete. It is a huge problem because those games are hard to go back to on a larger screen.

lol Nintendo know exactly what they are doing....with both the NGC and the Wii they sold/sell the hardware at a profit (unlike our other two competitors) The games that Nintendo have released pretty much outsell anything that is first party on the other two platform......... I play Wii on a 32" 720p lcd with a good scaler so the games don't look like crap........

Btw, do any other other consoles have games available that cover their entire console lineup? (ie games from the 80's to present) with the Wii you can play NES, SNES, N64(<- released via Wii store), NGC games as well..............

they did it right IMHO.

lol Nintendo know exactly what they are doing....with both the NGC and the Wii they sold/sell the hardware at a profit (unlike our other two competitors) The games that Nintendo have released pretty much outsell anything that is first party on the other two platform......... I play Wii on a 32" 720p lcd with a good scaler so the games don't look like crap........

Btw, do any other other consoles have games available that cover their entire console lineup? (ie games from the 80's to present) with the Wii you can play NES, SNES, N64(<- released via Wii store), NGC games as well..............

they did it right IMHO.

Who cares if they make a profit or not? They did it right for them, not for us. Would it really have taken that much more hardware just to get the resolution up to 720?

Who cares if they make a profit or not? They did it right for them, not for us. Would it really have taken that much more hardware just to get the resolution up to 720?

No, nor even 1080p.

But this is the same Nintendo that called the Internet a fad and essentially the same thing about HD and *gasps* Dolby Digital audio.

But the kiddies, their primary market, don't care about any of that. And that's fine. They're making a killing hand over fist with that market while the rest of us, kind of with nostalgia and sad/mixed feelings...have moved on.

Except for when I fire up ZSNES. ;)

Who is the "us" you are talking about? Other than a minority of very vocal people who care more about visuals than actual gameplay I don't see complaints about the Wii on gaming forums. Some people still prefer it over the other consoles, or view it as a quality second choice.

The fact is that a minority of people hung up on graphics really got upset with it, for Nintendo centric people, and yeah there are a ton of males in their 30s that are, people who actually looked through the library before freaking out, it's a quality product that does what it needs to.

My favorite games from this generation, and I'm not including fighters, in no particular order.

Valkyria Chronicles
Hardcorps Uprising
Bayonetta
Demons Souls
Muramasa
Sin and Punishment 2
Mario Galaxy 2
Mad World
No More Heroes
God of War 3
Castlevania

And I own all three consoles, that's not a bad showing by the wii. And I don't think 720p would have changed anything for me.

one does not stay in business if one does not make a profit.........Nintendo has always catered to the younger crowd so what is the big deal........

Back