Harley Davidson Reveals the Pricing and Specs of Its "Livewire" Electric Motorcycles

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 7, 2019.

1. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

Horseshit.

My Honda CBR600 has loud pipes, but I wish it didn't. Few choices after a traffic accident some years ago, so I bought aftermatket pipes that several magazine reviews said were 'not at all loud'. BS. They were some of the loudest pipes made for the bike. And while I'd not deny that they have probably gotten the attention of some sleepy cager from time to time, what saves a biker's ass 99 times out of 100 is sensible riding and situational awareness.

Here's a column by Sean MacDonald over at Revzilla from a few years ago, saying it better than I possibly could:

All that said, I think the future of electric bikes is exciting. The first trailbreakers will always be expensive, but these things slowly trickle down to be considerably more affordable if the demand is there. I think everything about the Harley is awesome....except the price.

2. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Nah, its not freedom, besides which freedom has a cost. Its mostly been cost of the bikes. They've priced themselves out of the youth market for 20 odd years as boomers wanted to relive or live like the bikers of the 50s-70s. Add in the old fogey stigma for anyone gen-x and younger (I saw the weekend warrior mid life crisis types as a teen in the mid 90s), quality issues and now that they're not even made in America, forget it. They've obsoleted their brand due to incompetence.

3. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

You have your opinion, and I have my facts.

4. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

So people hearing you and not killing you on a bike is "horseshit" ok enjoy your "horseshit while being a bloodstain"

alxlwson likes this.
  5. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Bro, you're messing w/peeps mythology. Expect a backlash when you provide facts and statistical proof, it's the state of the world we live in today.

Wrecked Em, Armenius and motomonkey like this.
  6. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

Been riding for 50+ years, so I doubt the 'bloodstain' is a likely outcome any time soon.
    Please cite them. Oh, you mean your opinions? Sure, you're entitled to those, but facts? They don't exist.

Quiet is good. Repacked the can on the 600 years ago...it's a lot quieter now, thank God.
    Apparently. We old farts call 'em 'squids'.

Drifting OT gentlemen. How about we discuss the Harley, or electric bikes in general?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Wrecked Em, Jim Kim, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  7. Skull_Angel

Skull_Angel [H]ard|Gawd

110 mile range and charges overnight? Doesn't seem very fun to me. I'll wait a bit longer for better range and charging methods before considering an electric bike, unless someone throws out one modeled after Kaneda's bike from Akira.

8. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I had a bike many years ago when I was in college and first started working.
    Nothing big, just a basic Japanese commuter type bike. Still it was fast enough to blow away those 5L mustangs in the early 80's :D
    Even took it on a trip up to Yosemite one summer.

However, I had too many close calls (This was before cell phones and texting), with people changing into my lane or turning in front of me.
    Knew several people who got in serious accidents on their motorcycles (luckily no one died)

Also decided I wanted more comfort for road trips. 2 people in a car used less gas than 2 motorcycles, and 3-4 people makes for a much cheaper trip.

I finally decided it wasn't worth risking my life on the street and got rid of it.

PaulP, Armenius and Vader1975 like this.
  9. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

Agree. Need a fast charging method. An hour or two.

Anyone else think the Japanese could show Harley how it's done properly?

10. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I don't know why but I want this. Never gonna happen, but I still want it.

11. alxlwson

alxlwson You Know Where I Live

Looks like a vrod and a Buell had a baby

PaulP, Parja, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  12. Skull_Angel

Skull_Angel [H]ard|Gawd

I think there's too many problems surrounding current battery cell technology for it to really replace petrol. It would be far more preferential to develop a technology that used and consumed renewables rather than rely on rarer elements that degrade with use; possibly cells that relied on replacing the medium to create charge and develop a safe transfer method.

13. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

How the hell is a rider supposed to use the touchscreen while wearing motorcycle gloves?

Wrecked Em and Armenius like this.
  14. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

I don't think these bikes are meant to replace petrol machines. If I had one with a 120 mile range, that would cover about 98% of my riding. I suspect that percentage may be reasonably common among many riders.
    Many (most?) biker gloves today are designed to be touch-screen friendly (with varying degrees of success...mine work nearly as well as my finger..might have to poke a selection twice now and then).

15. sadsteve

sadsteve Gawd

Heh, I'm an old rider (66) and I'm not attracted. I ride a 2013 Triumph Bonneville (~32K miles so far) and it only cost me $8600 out the door. I'm really liking this bike and now that I'm retired (woho!!) I'm planing a number of long trips.

I asked the motorcycle cops I know "Why don't you guys ride Harley's any more?". The answer was that the Harley's require twice the maintenance of the Japanese bikes they ride.

Armenius likes this.
  16. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

The only charging method fast enough to not ruin a weekend of riding is a battery pack swap, and that's not a realistic solution. I suppose HD could have swap stations at every dealership, but there are a lot of places where dealerships are more than 100 miles apart. Touring riders will basically never have a real electric platform unless something drastic happens.

Armenius and BitMaster like this.
  17. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Instant torque is nice, however 30k for a Motorcycle is not. The components just dont cost that much to justify that price.

BitMaster likes this.
  18. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

He really was, but he was an old biker from the 60 who survived Vietnam from start to finish. He had a few anger issues.... but he knew his way around a phone system like nobody I’ve met before.

19. Dudhunter

Dudhunter n00b

B689B722-3E74-40F8-8633-DBCE45A64EDA.gif

My body is ready.

Skull_Angel likes this.
  20. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

50+ years on a Motorized Bike making lots of noise = ZERO experience riding a whisper quiet electrical bike. Our roads are becoming more and more dangerous every year with these teens texting and and even surfing and chatting and picture taking while "DRIVING" and with you making no noise.... the chances that your 50+ yrs of experience saves you goes down from where it is today. Even a crotch rocket makes enough noise to hear near you. This is dangerous. No I've done X, X amount of time will change that.

ncjoe likes this.
  21. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

So aside for car - truck - bus - cyclists - pedestrians, now we are also going to get motorcyclists driving around liking and commenting on pictures of cupcakes,,,,,,,, what a world. :rolleyes:
    Already now i laugh my ass of at motorcyclists with a phone docked on their handlebar.

BEtc2fbCMAI22za.jpg

Armenius and Vader1975 like this.
  22. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

Now that is hillarious Old!

23. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

Why? A GPS map is just as useful for finding your way around as in a car.

Newsflash: Phones do a lot more than make calls and send/receive texts.

24. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

They should add retractable pedals so when you run out of juice, just pedal power it to charge, and ride it like a heavy bicycle :LOL:

Armenius likes this.
  25. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Yes and if that's what they use their phones, then i am all thumbs up, but if motorcyclists are anything like many car drivers, then i get a little nervous.
    Myself i use my 7" tablet for navigation in my car on rare occasions, and have my phone docked off the driver side door fixed glass, i don't have any form of BT support in the car so when i am unlucky and get a call while driving ( happen 1 - 2 times a year ) then i have to call back when i have found a sensible place to stop and do that.

I have nothing against decent motorcyclists, but i do call them all daredevils, but that's based off the idiot car drivers which i would not like drive among with nothing but a little fiber glass / carbon fiber and what ever clothing to protect me.
    Hell i would be apprehensive about walking on public streets or riding a bicycle though we Danes most often have their places elevated off the side of the road.

PS. when i do navigate in my car it are most often just the last mile or so i actually use it, cuz i can get to pretty much any town in little old Denmark just fine, its only the street that might be a problem.

Vader1975 likes this.
  26. KD5ZXG

KD5ZXG Limp Gawd

So you say my 36V Eurotrash lowridin ratrod terror now needs stereo too?
    Loud enough to give sidewalk shamblers fair warning to dive for the street?
    Sure, why not. Got enough well used dumpster-lith to fill two ammo cans.
    Should be a way to wire that for audible, without losing too much range.

OR just put a card in the spokes. Like I got 30 grand for anything better...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  27. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

They don't specify the weight, afaics. My 2012 nc700x is a bit over 400lbs (which is about right for it's class, though there are much lighter 700cc bikes), this thing looks smaller and has a lighter (aluminum) frame, but it has heavy batteries and electric motor. I'd guess it'll be a little lighter at around 300-350lbs if not about the same weight.

ir0nw0lf likes this.
  28. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Honda's working on it.

Jim Kim likes this.
  29. Gottfried Leibnizzle

Gottfried Leibnizzle Limp Gawd

Ignorance isn't so bad unless you have a chip on your shoulder. I have a docking station on my bars and it beats the hell out of stopping every fifty miles to dig out a map. Then there's Bluetooth voice between my riding partner and I.

Please don't criticise things you don't understand.

EchoWars and Dudhunter like this.
  30. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

For $40k you can step into an electric superbike that the manufacturer claims is the fastest motorcycle in the world.

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specifications/

31. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

Am I the only one that thinks it sounds like a Tron light cycle?

32. robjordan406

robjordan406 Limp Gawd

Its going to be hard to look cool wearing leather chaps and leather jackets with logo on back riding an E Bike....
    Maybe when a real motorcycle passes an Ebike rider, it will not be an downward pointed index finger that that flash him....
    Just saying...

alxlwson likes this.
  33. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

The most expensive part is the $14,599 HD emblem and it always has been.

My favorite t-shirt has two statements:

• This is your brain. (A BMW emblem is depicted.)

• This is your brain on drugs. (A Harley Davidson emblem is depicted.)

priceless

Wrecked Em, Armenius and Gideon like this.
  34. fallguy

fallguy 2[H]4U

I am interested, but 30k is a lot. I will probably have an electric bike before a car. I only ride my bike to work and back, wife never gets on it anymore. I am just 12 miles from work, and could easily go back and forth a few times.

Having to put up my bike for winter is a pain. Gas treatments, oil changes, other stuff that a gas motor needs. The simplicity of an electric would be nice. I dont care about the name brand, so will probably look elsewhere. Unless there is a huge tax credit.

35. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah that's quite a steep price tag, and it's far from the most expensive Harley. I'd bet money if Elon released this at the same price a lot more people would be clamoring for it though. ;)

36. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

One could argue it's already hard to look cool wearing leather chaps lol. Unless you're into that whole YMCA look.

37. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Mandatory: if the range is not 600miles and doesn't charge in 15 seconds= hard pass/s
    That 30k is absurd though.. no ' / s'

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  38. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

You know the technology is not even remotely close to your expectations right?

7kwr battery charged in 15 seconds is not something that is easy for households to do. I suppose you want it to have solar paint to charge it while riding?

39. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

////////s
    Woosh

Armenius likes this.
  40. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

ah didnt see the /s. Sorry so many people on that bandwagon it is hard to see which ones are joking.