• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hardware Specs for Core Router?

Like I said before all I asked for was simple question about hardware specs and this got all blown out of crap with people bashing or should I say flaming me saying I shouldnt be doing this or something like that... Which I dont think they dont have the rights to tell me what to do. like /usr/home said people come on here to learn and share and not come on here to get bashed or flamed by fellow forum members like some are on this post.
 
I have no experiencing being an ISP, but is there any sort of failover should the core router fail?

Like I said, I have no experience in this, my only thoughts were that I would beef up the system with more than an i3 if its a critical system (and you are expecting growth) and ensure there are proper fail overs. The best way to lose customer is to have their service disconnected for hours.

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain how the setup is? I'm curious as I haven't heard of many people doing this.
 
I'd go Mikrotik > PFSense on X86. You won't need 100+mb/s worth of transit for a very long time.
Hardware wise, Yeah. Go at least i series.

Just my 2 cents.
 
I would go with dual Atom for load balancing and HA way before i3.
If there no HA there no point having a super power router.

A Watchguard Firebox x500/700/1000 is capable of 200mbps with 512Mo RAM and old Celeron CPU.
With a Atom and 4Gb you should easily be able to manage over 200 000 states tables (with 512mo i get 47 000).

As for the AV deep scan i would offer it as a option to customer for extra $$$ but not standard on every network, i would hate to have no control personally, my ISP offer this service even free first year and i clearly stated i didn't want any scan on what goes though my connection.

If you absolutely want to do deep-packet analysis i would have a dedicated server for that.

Have you consider virtualization ? If you go with higher-end station i would go with a 2 cluster, shared-storage HA/FT setup but that a lot more $$$ to invest.
 
Back
Top