• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hardware Specs for Core Router?

Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
928
Hi Guys
I need to know what kind of hardware would I need be running for a wisp core router if I am going to be pushing anywhere from 50-200meg fiber connection and how many customers I plan to have is about around 50 customers in the first year and about 2 years I hope to have 200-300 customers and I plan on using Pfsense for my OS.
 
A refurb'ed Firebox could do that, but I would recommend at least an Intel Atom unit if you're going new hardware.

Lanner makes some good boxes from my experience.

Are you planning on running packages (Snort, anti-virus, cacheing, etc), tho? Those would beef up required hardware.
 
Personally, I'd go with an Intel i3 and use Intel NICs. That will give you the power to run other features should you wish, without any worry of running out of resources.
 
Personally, I'd go with an Intel i3 and use Intel NICs. That will give you the power to run other features should you wish, without any worry of running out of resources.

This.

power to cost ratio is way in the i3's favor. power consumption is near identical. i3 over atom nowadays.
 
This.

power to cost ratio is way in the i3's favor. power consumption is near identical. i3 over atom nowadays.

+1 Again. I'm currently using Mobile (Socket P) Core 2 Duo's and Quads for various deployments, and they work great and use little to no power.
 
For a WISP, the only playing with traffic you should really be doing is cache and QoS ( and enforcing ToS things if you have them.)

Anti-virus opens a can of worms if you start getting false positives.
 
I dont plan on running cache at all I will be doing firewalling/nat 1:1/QoS with this setup. I know one WISP around here will throttle you down to 32k or temporary suspend your account until you clean your computer if your spreading a virus on a network. So I plan on doing the same thing its all about protecting your customers and network.
 
I dont plan on running cache at all I will be doing firewalling/nat 1:1/QoS with this setup. I know one WISP around here will throttle you down to 32k or temporary suspend your account until you clean your computer if your spreading a virus on a network. So I plan on doing the same thing its all about protecting your customers and network.

The customers should be isolated from each other in the first place, tbh.
 
Well how are you going to do that if they are on one node? then once it gets on the whole network then you got whole other problem.
 
why would you not cache..... makes things faster for the user in the end...if configured correctly.

are you trying to be an ISP? if so you can not simply connect everyone on some giant LAN.. you must separate people they should not be able to see each other at all. Think you got some reading to do before you go doing this project.
 
Anti-virus won't do you any good on your core router if users can see each other anyways. Only WAN->LAN/LAN->WAN would be filtered then.
 
You're going to provide ISP service to 200-300 people and you don't even know what hardware to use?

My advice is don't do it, find another way to make money.
 
Guys dont be pricks about it I am just asking for advice geez I already know how the whats the setup going to be setup. I just dont know how the core router should be setup for the hardware specs of it.

Just dont think Pfsense is the only piece of equipment be in the mix here.
 
I'd invest in Mikrotik if you are cheap or Cisco if you have the money.
 
I am just asking for some help on hardware specs and this isnt a topic where to start bashing me for stupid things. If your not willing to help then please dont be replying its simple as that. Because I dont come on your topics and bash on your thoughts or thinking or anything like that do I? so what gives you guys the power to do it to my topic?
 
I am just asking for some help on hardware specs and this isnt a topic where to start bashing me for stupid things. If your not willing to help then please dont be replying its simple as that. Because I dont come on your topics and bash on your thoughts or thinking or anything like that do I? so what gives you guys the power to do it to my topic?
I think the advice here has been more than informative for you.
You've already been told that Core i series processors might be better for you than lower powered atom based cpu's.

As it relates to this project as a whole it really sounds like you don't know what you are doing at all. We are not "bashing" you, we are making observations based on your posts where you make it sound like you don't have a good grasp on what you are getting yourself into.
 
15611201.jpg
 
Oh I know what I am getting my self into if your talking about that. Its just about putting all together the hardware specs for a core router because you dont want to go under power because then you be choking your customers your bandwidth. I am not that stupid that is why I am asking.

I know there is other wisp's are using pfsense and yes I have talked to them before but I havent asked what kind of hardware they they are using but I should have. I also heard other WISP's using clearOS with xeon setups. So I am not a blind newbie here I been talking to other WISP's on ubnt and on instant messengers and even on the phone and on facebook so I am not no rookie on it.

I think the advice here has been more than informative for you.
You've already been told that Core i series processors might be better for you than lower powered atom based cpu's.

As it relates to this project as a whole it really sounds like you don't know what you are doing at all. We are not "bashing" you, we are making observations based on your posts where you make it sound like you don't have a good grasp on what you are getting yourself into.
 
LOL @ the above photo

Anyways...

I would run at minimum a core i3 setup similar to below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101384
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148380

I am all for more power, so if you can swing more money up front you and your customers will be happier if you buy a beefier system.

Also as stated before content filtering (AV) is a really bad idea, it will get you sued very quick. Your best bet is to setup QoS, throttle any users that you get complaints regarding viruses (you have to be sure to investigate complaints properly). Also please for your customers sake please segregate each customer, there is no reason that they need to be able to see each other. One final thought is that your "core" router is not likely to be your source of most of your headaches. You will find that running a WISP is very risky due to utilizing public spectrum, something that works one week may not another.

Other than that, have fun and good luck because you will need it.
 
So I am not a blind newbie here I been talking to other WISP's on ubnt and on instant messengers and even on the phone and on facebook so I am not no rookie on it.

I didn't go back and re-read the thread, but have you set up any sort of a lab to test your proposed network? This kind of alludes to just having read about it, but until you've actually done it unfortunately you are a rookie. No offense meant--it's just kind of the way things work.

I've read about a lot of different things, and "know" stuff about them, but I'd certainly not consider myself above rookie status. Even stuff I've actually done, I'd still consider myself a rookie until I've had a good bit of experience with it.
 
def the more power the better.

how do you plan to separate your users so they cant see each other?

How are they all going to be connecting to your core device? wired, wireless....
 
how do you plan to separate your users so they cant see each other?

How are they all going to be connecting to your core device? wired, wireless....
Don't worry about it. He's talked to other WISP providers on facebook and through instant messaging. So I'm sure he has things covered.
 
Dont be calling me a rookie dude if you dont know who I am then dont be calling names. I have worked as a ISP tech support for a former local WISP before so. I know what I am talking about and I have setup my own network man so.... Sorry if I sounded like a di#k but I just dont liked called a rookie you cant under power your server and your bandwidth to your customers. I just asked for simple help and I get jerked around or get you shouldnt be doing this or something on them lines. There have a few have help me and I wanted to say thanks for the help.

I didn't go back and re-read the thread, but have you set up any sort of a lab to test your proposed network? This kind of alludes to just having read about it, but until you've actually done it unfortunately you are a rookie. No offense meant--it's just kind of the way things work.

I've read about a lot of different things, and "know" stuff about them, but I'd certainly not consider myself above rookie status. Even stuff I've actually done, I'd still consider myself a rookie until I've had a good bit of experience with it.
 
Well I am about ready have the mods lock it because its noting about people starting a flaming war and it really dont need to be. Again all I asked was for simple help and not being flamed about it.
 
OP, your grammar is up there with TheBuzzer. Maybe we would take you a little more seriously if you sounded like you had any idea what you were doing. It couldn't hurt to put together some coherent sentences too.
 
Since when did te forums turn into this shit? Every post doesn't need tO prove how large the e-penis is
 
Marley that is why I sent you a PM to ask you to lock it because its starting to be a flaming war as you can see.
 
Between this thread and the network pics thread, WTF guys... some of us come here to learn and share with others what we have learnt. Point out whatever you think the OP is doing wrong or why it's stupid, etc, but there's no need to start calling names like children... :rolleyes:
 
Dont be calling me a rookie dude if you dont know who I am then dont be calling names. I have worked as a ISP tech support for a former local WISP before so. I know what I am talking about and I have setup my own network man so.... Sorry if I sounded like a di#k but I just dont liked called a rookie you cant under power your server and your bandwidth to your customers. I just asked for simple help and I get jerked around or get you shouldnt be doing this or something on them lines. There have a few have help me and I wanted to say thanks for the help.

Sorry, but I don't recall reading in this thread that you've done this before. In fact, I just did a quick scan and I didn't see it. When you say "I know what I'm doing, I talked to someone on Facebook about it", it doesn't come across like you have any experience with it. I was only suggesting to try it out first.

You could have said "I'm not a rookie, I've done this before". I understand you don't want to under-power your network; that would be a fatal flaw for your business.
 
Back
Top