Hardware Nexus: ASUS Scammed Us

The only board failure I remember having was due to a power surge. Seems like I've had it easy compared to a lot of other users. The only issues I've had with my X670E Taichi was needing to flash the BIOS and it will hang on memory training after a power outage. I need to set it to power off after but I keep not getting around to it.

Last edited:
And yet many other people praise the Tomahawk as a great product. Can both of these statements be true at the same time?
Except for a very, very early BIOS the board shipped with, he's never had a problem with the system. That said, the Tomahawk hasn't been any "better" than the Gigabyte board I have and at least when I need to go into the BIOS to do something on my Gigabyte I can find what I need really fast. Can't say the same thing about the Tomahawk BIOS. The Tomahawk is probably a very good board and has done what he's needed it to do but the BIOS UI implementation is pure trash.

Eh my GB x570 master started to slowly die after 3 years. Ethernet ports, M.2 slots and USB ports started to flake out.

I stopped buying their ROG mATX boards years ago, because they kept failing and ASUS wouldn't honor their warranty.
I stick with MSI now. Not quite as many BIOS options, but I've never had a failed board.

Got to give it some time. Can't expect everything to change a day after a statement is released.
You mean they can't quickly email their employee's to not deny repairs in a single day? Might as well send them a letter in the mail in that case.
Who is also to say they won't revert back to their old ways a year later after the dust settles.
Test them again in a year.

You mean they can't quickly email their employee's to not deny repairs in a single day? Might as well send them a letter in the mail in that case.

Test them again in a year.
It is not their employees. Asus uses a lot of 3rd party repair centers for RMA.

1715958338866.jpeg

Asus Asus never changes

ASUS Posts Official Statement Concerning Recent RMA Issues, Says Enhancing Its Processes In US & Canada​

https://wccftech.com/asus-official-statement-concerning-rma-issues-enhancing-processes-us-canada/
Even if you assume that they are going to do something good for the consumer with that statement, you can't test it properly till a year or more afterwards. I would even bet people do get their warranty approved much easier over the next year simply for ASUS to "show" an improvement then it will just devolve back at some point when less eyes are on them.

I stopped buying their ROG mATX boards years ago, because they kept failing and ASUS wouldn't honor their warranty.
I stick with MSI now. Not quite as many BIOS options, but I've never had a failed board.
I’ve had MSI stuff fail, but the RMA process has been as it should be. This was even during COVID where I’d expect it to be garbage but it wasn’t. Sent the item in and 7 business days later it was repaired and sent back. Both on a GPU and motherboard.

I never had to RMA with Asus but I did with MSI once. My only 780 literally caught fire. It was a total of one week from when I sent it til I got a replacement while over Thanksgiving.

My $.02
The best warranty is the warranty you never have to use. I have never had to RMA an ASUS product.
ASUS channel support is way different than their end-user support. If you have any sort of "business" building computers, look into being an official ASUS partner. It's quite easy to do.
Buy CSM products if you don't need the bling/feature that comes from the other products. ASUS CSM is pretty much a "no questions asked" warranty.

Would you mind summarizing? I don’t have time for another 30 minute video that probably could have been distilled down to two or three minutes, but won’t be for monetization reasons. I like the initiative that gamer Nexus shows, and the important information they have brought to light over the years, but Steve rambles on far too long to make a point.

Would you mind summarizing? I don’t have time for another 30 minute video that probably could have been distilled down to two or three minutes, but won’t be for monetization reasons. I like the initiative that gamer Nexus shows, and the important information they have brought to light over the years, but Steve rambles on far too long to make a point.
Basically breaking down Asus's lawyer speak response as consumer blaming and outright lies and taking no responsibility for the poor and misleading service.

so i have something i'd like to add to this story. because i've been dealing with asus support for 2 weeks now and i'm starting to get annoyed. i mean, it's SO simple. i want to repaste my graphics card and need to know the thickness of thermal pads they used so i can replace them while i'm in there. so i first started off with online tech support, they couldn't tell me so escalated to someone else, they're suppose to e-mail me and now I've been back and forth with them in email 3 TIMES, and they STILL CAN'T TELL ME the thickness of the thermal pads on strix 980ti, now the latest is they need the serial number because the part number STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5 is not good enough for them.... TECHNICAL SUPPORT. i mean they only made 3 versions of the card a regular, strix and strix OC so technically only 2 models. this should be something easy!
Screenshot_1.png

so i have something i'd like to add to this story. because i've been dealing with asus support for 2 weeks now and i'm starting to get annoyed. i mean, it's SO simple. i want to repaste my graphics card and need to know the thickness of thermal pads they used so i can replace them while i'm in there. so i first started off with online tech support, they couldn't tell me so escalated to someone else, they're suppose to e-mail me and now I've been back and forth with them in email 3 TIMES, and they STILL CAN'T TELL ME the thickness of the thermal pads on strix 980ti, now the latest is they need the serial number because the part number STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3-6GD5 is not good enough for them.... TECHNICAL SUPPORT. i mean they only made 3 versions of the card a regular, strix and strix OC so technically only 2 models. this should be something easy!
View attachment 655217
I'm pretty sure replacing the pads won't do anything. You need to reflow the core. Find instructions here.

In particular motherboards tend to have a lot of problems and drivers are more important so I have little reason to look to an ASUS motherboard. They also tend to be the most expensive. Though I believe MSI and Gigabyte RMA quality is not good from what I have been told, it does seem like ASUS is notably worse. But that is just based off of reading online and I have no data to back it up. It would be interesting to see some investigation done between the three, and maybe ASRock and see which brand has the least problematic warranty process.

As for the ROG Ally, I don't see what the point is. It seems like quite the niche product. Even Steam's offering has been a poor seller but at least it is well built and seemingly Valve should stand behind their product. I can't see what the Ally can do that the Steam Deck, or the next release of it, can't do better. Lets not get started on the MSI Claw and other things. Seems like companies are burning money chasing a super niche market. Realistically Valve has this cornered. I just doubt there is a market big enough for both. Switch for casual gamers/purpose built handheld games, Deck for higher end enthusiasts.
Where do you get that impression from?

I'm pretty sure replacing the pads won't do anything. You need to reflow the core. Find instructions here.
yeah there's actually nothing wrong with it, it's just running hotter than it use to. so just gonna repaste gpu but I'm sure the old pads on vrm and memory are compressed so just want to replace it with brand new high performance pad.

yeah there's actually nothing wrong with it, it's just running hotter than it use to. so just gonna repaste gpu but I'm sure the old pads on vrm and memory are compressed so just want to replace it with brand new high performance pad.

Can't you measure the thickness of the existing pads?

Might try searching tech forums, overclock.net maybe? I'm sure someone out there has replaced the pads on your card and knows what size to use.

Try one of the waterblock manufacturers that still have listings of your block (EK). EOL stuff can be a pita to nail down unfortunately.

I ended up measuring the uncompressed ends of the pads on my GB 980ti and it worked out nicely.

Can't you measure the thickness of the existing pads?
well i don't have any precision calipers around, so at the moment, no. but the whole thing is, is that should be something that their tech support should be able to pull up in the computer in 2 seconds. i mean, there's no way they keep their documentation in a printed library somewhere. i even found a teardown of the card on guru3d and it looks like they only used one strip. that should be something they can pull right up. do they only engrave the info in stone tablets or what? see what i'm saying? i'm 2 weeks in at this point and talked to 3 or 4 people. or maybe just a.i. at this point, who knows.

Back