Hardware Interrupts - Slow Lagging - Sound Crackling - HELP

fusionrs

[H]ard|Gawd
Specs of my system

E6600 @ 3.0ghz w/ Scythe Mine - P5B Deluxe - MSI X1900XT - 3x's 320GB + 3x 500GB Seagate SATA II - 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 PC6400 - NEC-3550a - Antec TP-II 550w - Cooler Master Centurion - Dell 2407WFP - APC UPS BX1300LCD - SuperPI 1M in 16s

The other day I noticed the computer slowing down dramatically. Thinking it was just something minor I rebooted and moved on.

It started happening more frequently and today it flat out was a suckfest in terms of speed.

I have NO viruses or spyware on this machine. I run Avast and don't ever go to questionable sites.

My main issue is high CPU usage under Hardware Interrupts.

So far I've run chkdsk, seatools, tried several different google searches and have come up empty.

The hardware interrupts will sit around 39-50 and it just flat out sucks my system down.

As far as the event log here is what I have:

Starting just a week or so ago...

Souce: ftdisk
Event : 57
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Source: disk
Event: 51
An error was detected on \Device\Harddisk7\D during a paging operation

I also get the same error but says \Harddisk0\

Source: atapi
Event: 26
The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort2 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced performance may result.

Source: atapi
Event: 9
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period

Source: disk
Event: 11
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

Same error also ont he IDE Port 2 saying that it

I have nothing on my IDE port 2?
I only have one IDE device the NEC burner. I am currently backing up a good amount of my data onto another drive again for redundancy and am planning on changing out the IDE cable and the SATA cable for the main HDD.

What do you guys think?

I've googled the piss out of this one

Two things I can think of off the bat. First thing is driver corruption. Update your IDE/SATA driver and your chipset driver. The other thing I can think of is your southbridge or controller chip or the whole motherboard's about to go. You mentioned crackling sounds. Is this coming from your speaker or your hard drives? And is your sound onboard or an addon card? If it's onboard, then it'll bring us closer to confirming your board's crapping out. If it's your drives, then I strongly recommend backing up your data just in case.

It comes from the speakers when playing music. Movies also stutter and are crackling.

My hardware interrupts jump up like MAD. I'm going to update the drivers now.

Fixed it - changed out the IDE cable and did some more research. I really don't think it was the IDE cable but I had a brand new one so it wasn't a big deal to switch it out.

A lot of people with ASUS boards and the JMicron IDE controller have this issue. I downloaded the latest JMicron drivers, removed the IDE controller, and reinstalled, and BAM! No more hardware interrupts for now! Made sure that it was all set to DMA as well which after the JMicron install it did set it to PIO so a quick uninstall - reinstall then it was good to go and defaulted back to DMA mode.

No more hardware interrupts for now! :cool:

Excellent. Glad to hear it was just a driver issue =)

All JMicron drive controllers should be ripped off of every motherboard, shot into space, hit with a nuke and the remains sent into the sun.

All JMicron drive controllers should be ripped off of every motherboard, shot into space, hit with a nuke and the remains sent into the sun.

:p

The JMicron controller on my rig definitely gave me problems earlier in my Vista install. After drivers were installed, everything works perfectly.

Back