Hardware Intense PC Games

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Can someone recommend a bunch of hardware intense pc games, trying to stack them up against a computer im building for a relative of mine. He'll be using a 660Ti SLI platform. His previous computer was using GTS 250 SLI.

crysis 1
crysis 2
metro 2033
stalker series (with mods)
skyrim (with mods)
GTA 4 vanilla/mods
witcher 2
batman arkham city
borderlands 2
hitman absolution
farcry 3

metro 2033

battlefield 3

crysis 2 is still used as a benchmark as well

Skyrim with all the HD mods and ENB/FXAA filters
Hitman Absolution
BF 3
Farcry 3

thanks for the quick replies, so far i know between the both of us we have to test so far:

skyrim, crysis, the witcher 2, borderlands 2, gta4, and metro2033 hoping to get some more games in the coming week.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replies, so far i know between the both of us we have to test so far:

skyrim, crysis, the witcher 2, borderlands 2, gta4, and metro2033 hoping to get some more games in the coming week.

Grab the THQ humble bundle for $6 with SR3.

what res monitor? hopefully more than one or 1 big one?

what are the rest of the specs?

For Nvidia cards, you can make almost any game severely tax even the best video card setup by using Nvidia Inspector to jack AA levels up to extreme levels. I was able to make a GTX 680 choke on Mass Effect 2 at 1680x1050 by running 32xS [2x2 SS + 8x MS] + 8x SGSSAA + FXAA, and it didn't even hit 2GB of VRAM usage.

CivV if your friend has any inclination to strategic-type games, be sure to get the latest DLC though.

Starcraft II beats the crap out of my system, as well.

Fallout: New Vegas was a really good play, not as taxing, but it's a fine game. If you had to only pick one DLC, then grab Old World Blues.

All the above choices are good ones too, but not sure what your friend prefers to play.

Crysis 1 is a crap benchmark to test a modern system because of its limitations of using only upto two cores properly plus the latest gen cards dont have optimized drivers for a 5 year old game. On my system I run Far Cry 3 maxed out with 2xMSAA Ultra High at 60 fps most of the time whereas I get 30-45 fps on Crysis 1.... Test Far Cry 3 for sure because it is really taxing on the GPU once you crank up Anti Alias to 8xMSAA.

There's that Nexiuz "Stupid" mode. Though that game is pretty bad. It's a special mode made to punish systems with everything uncompressed and extra lighting etc. Though it's not really a pretty game so much, it will push things.

Make sure PhysX is on high on all of those games, it doesn't take a great deal of performance but it looks nice and will help the end goal.

Starcraft II beats the crap out of my system, as well.

Is it that bad? Even on a single card I don't hear the fans rev up with eveything on ultra (though it seems to be more CPU based than GPU?). Though I don't normally play on ultra because the ground textures make everything kind of cluttered and stuff (Zerg) harder to see. :D

what res monitor? hopefully more than one or 1 big one?

what are the rest of the specs?

Silverstone SG09
Core i5 3570k
Asus Maximus Gene V Z77 Motherboard
Samsung 30nm DDR3-1600 8GB Kit
EVGA FTW+ GTX 660Ti 3GB x2 SLI
Kingston SSDNow 40GB x2 Raid 0
Western Digital Blue 640GB 16MB 7200rpm SATA HDD
Silverstone ST85F-P 850W PSU

He's actually using a 22" Vizio LED TV screen as his monitor lol. I keep telling him to shoot for a 27" 2560x1440 monitor but he just spent most of his money on the computer build. The parts for build are suppose to be coming in soon. Not sure when he'll decide to upgrade the monitor, as he could use some new SSDs.

Better monitor before SSDs for two reasons. One, a better monitor will have a huge effect on how good the game looks, while the SSDs will not do a lot more than decrease game level loading times. Two, if he spends the cash on a better monitor, by the time he gets enough cash together for SSDs, they will probably be significantly larger and cheaper.

Sleeping Dogs with all the bells and whistles turned on is hard on a system.

Thanks, I'll let him know. I do have Sleeping Dogs as well.

Mechwarrior online

Thats more a hit or miss since it seems to almost be random on how well it will run. Some people with older systems have no problems while people with brand new high end systems have problems. Games still a bit glitchy and needs some fixing but it is free to play and really awesome.

There's that Nexiuz "Stupid" mode. Though that game is pretty bad. It's a special mode made to punish systems with everything uncompressed and extra lighting etc. Though it's not really a pretty game so much, it will push things.

Make sure PhysX is on high on all of those games, it doesn't take a great deal of performance but it looks nice and will help the end goal.

Is it that bad? Even on a single card I don't hear the fans rev up with eveything on ultra (though it seems to be more CPU based than GPU?). Though I don't normally play on ultra because the ground textures make everything kind of cluttered and stuff (Zerg) harder to see. :D

Yes it is bad if the beating up renders you unable to get a smoth framerate . Or it can be a good thing if the beating up produces great graphics. Like most things in life, getting beat up has advantages and disadvantages.

Thats more a hit or miss since it seems to almost be random on how well it will run. Some people with older systems have no problems while people with brand new high end systems have problems. Games still a bit glitchy and needs some fixing but it is free to play and really awesome.

its actually not as taxing as i thought i can play on all very high with fxaa and its runs great his rig would destroy that game

Silverstone SG09
Core i5 3570k
Asus Maximus Gene V Z77 Motherboard
Samsung 30nm DDR3-1600 8GB Kit
EVGA FTW+ GTX 660Ti 3GB x2 SLI
Kingston SSDNow 40GB x2 Raid 0
Western Digital Blue 640GB 16MB 7200rpm SATA HDD
Silverstone ST85F-P 850W PSU

He's actually using a 22" Vizio LED TV screen as his monitor lol. I keep telling him to shoot for a 27" 2560x1440 monitor but he just spent most of his money on the computer build. The parts for build are suppose to be coming in soon. Not sure when he'll decide to upgrade the monitor, as he could use some new SSDs.

Ditto on a bigger screen, mine's a 25" and my specs are close to the ones listed, enjoy the case :)

ARMA II, especially the wasteland mod. One of the few games left that will challenge your CPU.

Back