HardBox is up and running!

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
Joined
Aug 29, 2001
Messages
21,141
The box for the give away is up and running.

If you still think you can make 75k total points by the end of May sign up. A 9800GT should be able to do it on it's own.

I want to make sure it's happy and stable (hardware wise) before I ship it out. Still not sure on software, it didn't like vista at ALL. (after 2 reinstalls and BSOD-ing both times I gave up and put 7 on it for testing)

It is running 2x clients on the 9800GX2. Looks like this will be a 10k ppd box. It's pulling 275 watts from the wall. Not all that bad for a system running full tilt and pushing 10k ppd.

I left the protective plastic on the case to keep t nice and spiffy for the future owner.

hardbox.jpg


hardbox1.jpg


hardbox2.jpg


 
Last edited:
Ever since that case came out I've really liked the look - I just didn't think it could handle gpu heat since it only has the 1 front intake and 1 side. Any temp numbers you care to share with us, K?
 
Its a decent box, I've used these before, could really benefit with another fan, especially for folding
 
81c with the side of the case off.
I'm thinking if whoever gets it drops in a 120mm fan on the side vent to suck the hot air out of the 9800GX2 it should work just fine.

It's a good case for the price... just be careful putting HDD in. Got my finger good. One of the worst cuts I've gotten from a case in the last few years.
 
Nice job Kendrak, looks really good. My kids are positive we are gonna win it. I got them obsessed with folding too.


 
Yep it's been sanctified with blood. IT's ready to roll. If i cant get this damn GX2 I bought to start working though there's no way im gonna make 75k in time
 
81c with the side of the case off.
I'm thinking if whoever gets it drops in a 120mm fan on the side vent to suck the hot air out of the 9800GX2 it should work just fine.

That's pretty good for only having 1 intake and 1 exhaust [stock]. Thanks for answering. :)
 
FYI, typo in the OP, 75k ppd, should read 75k points

other than that, looks good!

and I should have a blue 120mm fan, I just bought a shit ton of fans for the rack when I was in Cinci, but I'm going out of town for a bit. If I can make it back up here I could either mail it to you or mail it to the win'r. Might be better to blow right on the card, I'm not sure much heat will come from a pull setup

that should help the temps :)
 
Ditch that power supply NOW.

I know it isn't a top end PSU.

I asked if anyone had something that would work for the box and got little to no responce. I was also not about to drop another $100 into the rig on top of everything I've spent so far.
If the winner doesn't want to use it, no problem. It is their box now.
 
I think that computer looks pretty nice as the lucky winner is going to be very happy. 10k ppd isn't bad at all!
 
Update on the temps:

I loaded up riva tuner and added a fan or 2. Around 70C on the GPU sensor.

Should be good. (I do have the side of the case off)
 
Would a rosewill 500 be better than that? It's used, but I never had aproblem with an 8800 gtx on it?

If Zero ok's it, I may have one in my spare PSU bin, my others are way to nice for a giveaway or too small
sorry, I've gotta build my rigs first lol, but if I can find specs on that rosewill tomorrow...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
heh... that 9800 GX2 dwarfs that mobo......

but hey... it folds....

 
Would a rosewill 500 be better than that? It's used, but I never had aproblem with an 8800 gtx on it?

If Zero ok's it, I may have one in my spare PSU bin, my others are way to nice for a giveaway or too small
sorry, I've gotta build my rigs first lol, but if I can find specs on that rosewill tomorrow...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Already talking with a bunch of people for HardBox2 and gathering parts. A PSU that can run a 9800GX2 (yes we will be giving away another one it seems) is one thing we are lacking.

Fire me a PM if you are willing to throw it into the cause.
 
Remind me monday and I'll take a stab at it
Actually, I may have a gig of DDR2 I can throw in, and an 80mm fan if'n ya need em

Anything to help the horde :)
 
Kendrak - Worst cut you got from case in years because its the first case you have used in years!!! Now I know why you dislike them so much, and you are always trying to get us to believe its the cost and heat is the reason. Nice looking give away - Thanks Kendrak and entrents better get folding so you can have a chance to win.

Fold on!
 
I know it isn't a top end PSU.

I asked if anyone had something that would work for the box and got little to no responce. I was also not about to drop another $100 into the rig on top of everything I've spent so far.
If the winner doesn't want to use it, no problem. It is their box now.
An inexpensive PSU is one thing, but if you try to run a 9800GX2 off that thing, there's a good chance it will explode. And no, I'm not kidding. I don't have anything to offer personally, but I can say that the box will be pretty useless if the PSU fails and takes out all of the hardware with it. Even a 380W Earthwatts would be a much safer bet. I'm not saying this because I want to criticize. I'm saying this because after all the time, effort and money that has gone into putting this together, it would be a huge shame if it all ends up being for nothing due to a shitty PSU. It's better to play it safe and get a quality unit even if it takes more time to scrounge something up.
Would a rosewill 500 be better than that? It's used, but I never had aproblem with an 8800 gtx on it?

If Zero ok's it, I may have one in my spare PSU bin, my others are way to nice for a giveaway or too small
sorry, I've gotta build my rigs first lol, but if I can find specs on that rosewill tomorrow...
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Depends which one. Some of Rosewill's PSUs in that power range are decent ATNG units.
 
An inexpensive PSU is one thing, but if you try to run a 9800GX2 off that thing, there's a good chance it will explode. And no, I'm not kidding. I don't have anything to offer personally, but I can say that the box will be pretty useless if the PSU fails and takes out all of the hardware with it. Even a 380W Earthwatts would be a much safer bet. I'm not saying this because I want to criticize. I'm saying this because after all the time, effort and money that has gone into putting this together, it would be a huge shame if it all ends up being for nothing due to a shitty PSU. It's better to play it safe and get a quality unit even if it takes more time to scrounge something up.

Depends which one. Some of Rosewill's PSUs in that power range are decent ATNG units.

Micro Center is currently selling the Corsair 650 watt modular power supply for $119($109 after rebate) and the non modular 650 watt PSU for $109($99 after rebate). If anyone else would like to chip in for a better PSU for Hardbox #1, i'll put up $20 if you guys would like to set up a pool for one.

I have an old Antec 550watt that I just replaced with the Corsair 650watt modular PSU that I am willing to donate to the cause, but I cannot vouch for its stability as it is 5-6 years old. I havn't really pushed it to the limit recently as i'm only running a cpu client.
 
PMs sent.

Seriously, With the amount of boxen that I hope to be giving away over the next few months, I'll take any parts I can get my fingers on.

BTW, I'm happy to pay shipping on donated parts.
 
Nice! Looking good!

Thanks for all that you do for Team 33!
 
Back
Top