Hard Reset - PC Exclusive FPS

Well i guess i am buying it also :)

wdxam.jpg

It's not that I care that it's a PC exclusive. However being a PC exclusive hopefully means that the game play isn't the dumbed down garbage we've been fed for the sake of "going easy on the consoles, and the console audience."

But there is much more to whether a game is good or whether you will like or not. Isn't Painkiller for instance essentially a PC game? But going by what you said earlier, you would find a similar game bland and dated into terms of gameplay.

I tend to like to bring this example up, but ARMA 2 is a very hardcore oriented PC shooter compared to Bad Company 2. Yet the game that most PC gamers seem to prefer is which one?

If we look at the track record of who this new studio is formed by for instance the only great game I'd say is The Witcher 2, and that isn't a FPS game, and some would say the combat/action is one of its weaker points.

I'll buy the game if it's fun, I couldn't give one iota of a shit about a game being PC exclusive.

I don't agree with this blind support of PC exclusives idea as well, supporting a game this way is no different to me then any other demographic being blindly led by marketing. Developers can make good and fun PC exclusives, and they can make bad ones just like crossplatform games. If this game say sucks compared to STALKER for instance, I don't agree that both should receive the same support from PC gamers.

Also regarding the game itself, keep in mind this is based on the little information available and shown, but the UI elements and FOV seem to exhibit some of the same issues people are critical of with multiplatform games.

I'm not raining on this game, I actually love what they've done with the environment and design, and actually my previous criticism is brought on somewhat by this, I want more of the excellent views visible.

But there is much more to whether a game is good or whether you will like or not. Isn't Painkiller for instance essentially a PC game? But going by what you said earlier, you would find a similar game bland and dated into terms of gameplay.

I tend to like to bring this example up, but ARMA 2 is a very hardcore oriented PC shooter compared to Bad Company 2. Yet the game that most PC gamers seem to prefer is which one?

If we look at the track record of who this new studio is formed by for instance the only great game I'd say is The Witcher 2, and that isn't a FPS game, and some would say the combat/action is one of its weaker points.

I don't agree with this blind support of PC exclusives idea as well, supporting a game this way is no different to me then any other demographic being blindly led by marketing. Developers can make good and fun PC exclusives, and they can make bad ones just like crossplatform games. If this game say sucks compared to STALKER for instance, I don't agree that both should receive the same support from PC gamers.

Also regarding the game itself, keep in mind this is based on the little information available and shown, but the UI elements and FOV seem to exhibit some of the same issues people are critical of with multiplatform games.

I'm not raining on this game, I actually love what they've done with the environment and design, and actually my previous criticism is brought on somewhat by this, I want more of the excellent views visible.

Well there is a fine line between fun and realism. That line is a bit different for everyone. However, what we've seen out of PC games lately, is far less than what we should be seeing in terms of game play and graphics. This is because every major developer is conentrating on multiplatform development and as a result, they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. We don't have nearly the environmental interactivity, destructability, etc. we should have at this point. Why? Because the consoles can't handle it. We want deeper gameplay without bullshit cover systems like F3AR has, or overly repetative game play. It's also been a long time since anyone really raised the bar graphically aside from Metro 2033, which might as well have been Doom 3 in terms of everything being largely hidden from view. The game play also wasn't anything truly exciting, it was just pretty. It was a fairly linear coridor shooter. Not Call of Duty linear, but not Crysis / Far Cry 1 open either.

Health and Armor points is good enough for me to make it better than the consolised shooters.

Well there is a fine line between fun and realism. That line is a bit different for everyone. However, what we've seen out of PC games lately, is far less than what we should be seeing in terms of game play and graphics. This is because every major developer is conentrating on multiplatform development and as a result, they have to cater to the lowest common denominator. We don't have nearly the environmental interactivity, destructability, etc. we should have at this point. Why? Because the consoles can't handle it. We want deeper gameplay without bullshit cover systems like F3AR has, or overly repetative game play. It's also been a long time since anyone really raised the bar graphically aside from Metro 2033, which might as well have been Doom 3 in terms of everything being largely hidden from view. The game play also wasn't anything truly exciting, it was just pretty. It was a fairly linear coridor shooter. Not Call of Duty linear, but not Crysis / Far Cry 1 open either.

Your criticism, opinions and wants of game design are certainly valid, and I agree with some of those points. What I disagree with though is how those design decisions tie into whether a game is a PC exclusive or multiplatform.

Many of the games that have the qualities you are looking for (or portions of it) are actually multiplatform and are at least comparable to roughly similar PC exclusives if not exceed them.

I don't think you can assume that the game will have all the qualities you want just because it is PC exclusive. Like I pointed out, the low FOV/screen space complaint that many PC gamers have of multiplatform games, it seems to have the same issue judging by the screen shots shown. There is no information on the technical level of the graphics either (for instance PC gamers seem to expect "list" features like DX11, but The Witcher 2 a PC exclusive is not DX11). The limited screenshots do not suggest a wide open shooter like Crysis 1 either but the urban setting used in Crysis 2 that was complained about as due to consoles.

I know a lot of PC gamers here want more depth to games but honestly I like linear shooters and game play overall more interested in taking advantage of the PCs technical superiority than in complex game play. I used to hate cover systems and self-regenerative health but I like that stuff now, I think F3AR's cover system is pretty good.

But when a game is classic like Half-Life it doesn't really matter but yeah I love simple and good looking, like a hot dumb blonde chick.

pc exclusive? Will buy it just for that.

granted it isnt a complete and utter fail of course.

F3AR's cover sytem deep throats horse cocks.

Agree completely. Why is it that they have to implement some convoluted system where I become magically attached to chest high walls from which I have to frantically unattach myself once enemies start flanking.

There was a much simpler and refined system we used to have in the good ol' days....it was called LEAN, and all it required was two fucking buttons!

I'm interested! Really wish there was multiplayer though. But will definitely consider buying on the fact that it's PC exclusive!

looks pretty face paced and i'm digging that lightning/electric gun from the trailer. i just wish they would've incorporated some of the other baddies you would facing in the game because from what i could tell, they were killing the same thing over and over again. i know there are more as you can see from the screenshots, but i think it was a bad move/decision for their official trailer.

and pertaining to painkiller, i loved that game. the music, weapons, and precise controls and mindless fast carnage came together to create such an incredibly fun experience for me. yeah, nothing amazingly original, but put together damn well.

Looks good, might have to pick this one up. That it is PC only right now means little to me. It is just a new dev house trying to break into the industry.

If this first game is successful, I fully expect that the dev will sell out or be bought out, and this games sequel will be coded with the consoles in mind.

Wow! Honestly, while it looked great from the screens I've seen, I'm shocked that it looks as good in motion! I was already looking forward to this, but after seeing that vid, I'm definitely pretty much sold.

QFT on this entire post... couldn't agree more.

Hopefully, Hard Reset will turn out to be one of those few games that truly breathes life back into the exact sort of things we're searching for and not getting these days.

Looks really good so far from that vid. I hope the full game lives up to the potential shown.

It's also in a sci-fi setting , which we definitely haven't gotten enough of in recent times. We need more good sci-fi games, and to move far away from all the damn military shooters already.

P.S.
I've an extreme respect for their attitude regarding why there's no MP, and wanting to focus on the single player, making it the best it can be... but... it's a game of this quality that's just screaming for MP, to be experienced with another person, so if someone could at least create a MP mod, that would be fantastic!

Definitely, too many devs do see the MP add-on as just "checking a box" of, "Alright, it's added to the game"... but with a game like this, of much higher quality, it wouldn't just be checking a box, but something that you'd probably definitely want to experience with a friend, or like in my case, my wife, who's also heavily into FPS, sci-fi, horror etc.

Last edited:
Looks good, might have to pick this one up. That it is PC only right now means little to me. It is just a new dev house trying to break into the industry.

If this first game is successful, I fully expect that the dev will sell out or be bought out, and this games sequel will be coded with the consoles in mind.

Hope not. However the next generation of consoles will be upon us in a few years so I doubt they would want to go that way anyways.

First I've really looked into this game and it's looking very nice!

The devs sounds like a great bunch of people and their dedication to the PC crowd makes me want to give them money by default!

If the game reviews well, I will be purchasing for sure. I really like the fact they have decided to focus on SP.. There is a distinct lack of great SP shooters and they deserve my money for this very reason alone (providing the game is actually good)..

First I've really looked into this game and it's looking very nice!

The devs sounds like a great bunch of people and their dedication to the PC crowd makes me want to give them money by default!

If the game reviews well, I will be purchasing for sure. I really like the fact they have decided to focus on SP.. There is a distinct lack of great SP shooters and they deserve my money for this very reason alone (providing the game is actually good)..

I could have written this post myself word for word. Exactly.

I could have written this post myself word for word. Exactly.

Exactly. Game looks solid graphically, One player only is definitely a plus since many games these days only do multiplayer and have a crappy single-player and the amount of physics and openness about the game sound great as well. All I need to know is release date and price and I'm in. Also some of the weapons look quite good.

That lightning gun thing looks BAD ASS, I have to say this game has my full attention now.

PC exclusive, old school and lots of physics and destruction - Day 1.

Buying this my fellow PC gamers, now that is our call of duty.

too bad no multiplayer.

well they should focus on single player than later release a multiplayer patch

too bad no multiplayer.

They might. You never know. If this thing performs well they'd have more incentive to support it.

In other words, folks: Vote with your wallet!

too bad no multiplayer.

I appreciate them bucking the trend and concentrating on a unique, and seemingly replayable single player experience. If this does well they may do other games based off the same engine which may allow them more time in development for multiplayer and coop game modes. One can only hope.

I appreciate them bucking the trend and concentrating on a unique, and seemingly replayable single player experience. If this does well they may do other games based off the same engine which may allow them more time in development for multiplayer and coop game modes. One can only hope.

Me, too.

I've always been a single player person anyways. Far and away my preference.

Same here.

My personal opinion is that single player games should stay sp only and likewise for multi player games. So... i´m very happy about Hard Reset being sp only :)

I appreciate them bucking the trend and not developing another poor console game for the teenage "living in mom's basement" crowd.... fucking consoles need to DIAF. They have ruined gaming long enough...

I appreciate them bucking the trend and not developing another poor console game for the teenage "living in mom's basement" crowd.... fucking consoles need to DIAF. They have ruined gaming long enough...

I think your opinion is held by almost every pc gamer.

They have ruined gaming long enough...

Sure have. Cinamatic, hand-holding, super scripted and self playing pos. games like Call of duty and the latest Medal of Honor is a disease from the disgrace they call consoles.

Good stuff!

I've been looking forward to Serious Sam 3 for my fix of good 'ole fashioned single player blow up hostile hordes, nice to know a couple games are in the pipe now.

Good stuff!

I've been looking forward to Serious Sam 3 for my fix of good 'ole fashioned single player blow up hostile hordes, nice to know a couple games are in the pipe now.

Looks like both will release in about the same time frame. Cannot wait!

Back