• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Hard drive squeaking

dagnasty

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
232
Hello, The drive is a Seagate 250 GB Barracuda and it has recently started squeaking. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to stop the squeaking because it is my Linux/BSD Drive and I would like to safe it at all costs. It is probably over 2 years old but It has never had any problems. It kind of sounds like a squeaking wheel on a skateboard.

Any advice is appreciated.



thanks
 
Back up all important files immediately. You may want to try and clone the squeaking drive to another drive. The squeaking may be the first signs of mechanical failure. After backing up all of your “must have” files you can download a hard drive diagnostic tool from Seagate here http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD. Since you are running Linux/BSD, get the program for DOS. Sorry, that’s I can do for you.
 
Check with seagates warranty dept and see if the drive is still under warranty. if so, You might call them and set up a RMA to get it replaced. Couldnt hurt.
 
Back
Top