Hard Drive selection

Khanmots

Gawd
I'm looking to put together a 3rd system to use as a 1080p media-machine along with a bit of light gaming (sins and the like).

However, I've not kept up with harddrives at all, so I thought I'd seek out advice as to what would be well suited for this. I'm thinking a single 2TB would do me well (at least for now), however if anyone has other suggestions I'd be up for hearing them. Also, as this is very much an experiment I'm mostly using extra parts for it'd be nice if cost was at least kept in mind :)

Go with this drive and you should be fine:
$80 - Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Is there a reason to go with that Samsung over this similar $80 seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s? Or is there a reliability concern?

Is there a reason to go with that Samsung over this similar $80 seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s? Or is there a reliability concern?
AFAIK, there isn't a reliability concern per se. But I would still trust the Samsung drive more than the Seagate. Also note that SATA 6.0Gb/s is just a marketing gimmick when it comes to hard drives.

AFAIK, there isn't a reliability concern per se. But I would still trust the Samsung drive more than the Seagate. Also note that SATA 6.0Gb/s is just a marketing gimmick when it comes to hard drives.

Wasn't sure if the 3 vs 6 Gb/s was actually meaningful or not, good to know it's not. Guess the seagate has a bit of an advantage in seek-time, but that's minor. Thanks.

Also, the Hitachi 5K3000 2TB drives have been great. Then again, in 6 months do you want your warranty from Seagate (Samsung) or Western Digital (Hitachi)? Valid question on these drives, but I would say they are fairly similar at the moment.

Back