Hard Drive Organizing?

Ripped85

Limp Gawd
OK..so I have a desktop and a laptop.

I started to do a lot of torrent uploading, so i figure i run Azureus on my laptop while i use my desktop for my productivity and such...Only thing is, HD space. I encode cds to FLAC, so each song is about 40mb..so does it make sense to get a portable HD to keep plugged into it? I'm not sure what to do..

An external sounds likea good idea for your situation, but you have to consider a few things.

Do you keep either your laptop or desktop on 24/7? Do you need access to files 24/7? In that case, an external drive wouldnt be as optimal than an internal with better cooling. The internal would also have very much improved speed and less latency. If you just shared your storage disk that woud be inside your main PC along with your OS drive then you could have fast transfer rates from both computers say if you had to install a program from the storage disk after a windows reinstall.

Depends really if you want the drive for fast general on demand storage, or just a place to keep your files in between both PCs, and dont realy care about speed. Either way would work, but if you keep the laptop on 24/7, and dont for the desktop, then the internal solution would force both to be on.

Just buy a new hard drive for your desktop. Once your laptop's hard drive is filled, just move the files over to the desktop through your LAN.

An external hard drive is much slower than an internal one and plus you'd have to deal with more cords.

I have 3 of the Lacie hard drives. They don't run the coolest in the world, but I have had them for a little over 3 years now without a glitch.

Ripped85 said:
Can't, the files can't change directory because they'll be uploading, that's the dilemma..I found this and it seems pretty good.

You can change the directories that azureus uses for downloads and uploades, i would make them the same directory and have that directory be a shared folder on your main computer. Just make sure that the laptop has read/write access to the folder. Or, you could have the finished file folder be the folder that's shared on the desktop but have the unfinished files still on the laptop. Either way you shouldn't notice a difference because the amount of data that azureus saves at once is low.

underdone said:
You can change the directories that azureus uses for downloads and uploades, i would make them the same directory and have that directory be a shared folder on your main computer. Just make sure that the laptop has read/write access to the folder. Or, you could have the finished file folder be the folder that's shared on the desktop but have the unfinished files still on the laptop. Either way you shouldn't notice a difference because the amount of data that azureus saves at once is low.

Yea, except my laptop is a mac, so the directories can't be the same..right?

Ripped85 said:
Yea, except my laptop is a mac, so the directories can't be the same..right?

You could make your own folders for it, and the share those folders.

Back