Hard drive failing?

koopaGG

2[H]4U
I haven't run a chkdsk or anything like that as it takes a long long long time to do so.

Basically I have been experiencing some hanging lately, a lot of it from Winamp which is very unusual. I have also noticed some mp3's can no longer be played and when it tries to access them the hard drive clicks.

Not only that, but when I shut the system off the hard drive makes some god awful noises as its shutting down, nothing loud, but if you put your ear up to my case it almost sounds like the inside is rusted (Thats not possible...right? I didn't poor water on it lol), and as its coming to the stop the only comparison I can make it too is when your brake pads are very worn, just not quite as squeal-y.

Anyone have experience RMA'ing with Samsung?

Any insight appreciated. :)

Any insight appreciated.

For me, any new HDD noise is a bad sign. Why don't ya try Samsung's HDs utility?

If I had anything important on that drive, I'd be gettin' it while the gettin' was good. ;)

Good Luck!

There is no mention of you doing any diagnostics or maintenance such as disk defrag, or scandisk and you are talking RMA?

You need at a minimum to check the drive for errors before problems like this get too bad.
Corrupt data can further corrupt as when a corrupt file is read, it can pull unknown data from the drive and who knows what that will do if it is run. If another write is made to the same file, depending on the corruption, data might be written to the wrong place etc etc.

Most drives have or develop bad sectors, you wont see most of them as they will be logged out at low level. Drives have extra capacity to cope with a certain number of bad sectors.
When a bad sector is developing, the data on it will become harder to read.
Often the OS will detect a problem or you will notice that some files are having trouble loading.
This is when you should run scandisk which will repair your data and move it to a safe place if necessary.
Any bad sectors will be logged out.

A data write on an excessively hot or cold day can slightly misalign the write heads, causing the write to interfere with the format or data on another track. This can look like a bad sector to the OS.

From the clicks, it sounds like one of the following:
Corrupt files have gone further than basic corruption now,
Bad sectors are now present with data on them,
A bad data write occured
The hard drive is failing.

In any of these cases scandisk likely wont repair it.
Now you need a tool that will almost exhaustively keep reading the data and then apply good recovery algorithms to the recovered datasets to hopefully completely recover it.

Get a tool like HDD Regenerator to fix what now look to be bad sectors and recover your data.

Back