• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hard Drive Dead ... need advice

jimmycrank

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
30
So it appears that my 300gb WD Raptor kicked the bucket. The comp can't recognize it. I've tried multiple tools to access it and because the bios can't read it, the tools can't help. I've also moved it to another comp and connected it via usb/sata adaptor and nothing. So I have a couple options and I need advice...

1) I'd like to move to the SSD arena and was hoping to wait it out for the next gen drives. Doesn't look like that can happen and need to move now. If I'm looking in the 256gb range, what are the best "current" options.

2) Would it be better to spend 80 bucks to get a platter drive now and wait for the next gen?
 
Is that a PCI-e card? Whats the difference between a standard SSD with SATA interface vs one with a PCI-e interface?
 
Whats the difference between a standard SSD with SATA interface vs one with a PCI-e interface?
Big money? :)

Those cards are a self contained, independent, SSD RAID array with a PCIe interface.

Probably RAID0 but I dunno for sure.
 
nothing fancy. win 7 64bit. I was looking to replace the raptor before it died, but looks like the timetable has been accelerated for me.
 
Going to any decent SSD drive from a platter drive will provide a huge speed boost. The best budget drives are SF12XX based right now. Intel has a better reputation but cost a bit more. Corsair makes some godawful fast drives, but are pricey right now.

The PCI-E drives have some compatibility issues. I would wait a bit for them.

Why wait. The next generation will be better, but the generation after that will be most awesome, so why not wait a little longer for them?

Don
 
Yeah, I'm not going to lie. I always seem to suffer from paralysis by analysis when it comes to purchasing hardware. However, I was justifying it in this case since the next gen are right around the corner.

I'll look into your options, thanks.

Tom
 
Back
Top