Hard drive clone question

Lazarey

Gawd
I am going to upgrade my hard drive soon and from the research I have done it seems like using my Acronis True Image Home 2011 to clone my current hard drive to my external hard drive would be simplest.

My question is, if I do that then swap out the old hard drive for the new, how do I get what's on the external hard drive copied onto the new hard drive?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a noob question but this is my first time upgrading a hard drive.

You might need to specify which operating system you are using. I assume Windows, but you never know. Say which version. If, by small chance, you are running Ubuntu, I can tell you exactly how to do this. If you are using something else, another person will have to reply.

You dont clone the original to the external, you image backup it, then, exchange disks, and with the recovery cd of acronis, restore the image from external into the new disk.

You dont clone the original to the external, you image backup it, then, exchange disks, and with the recovery cd of acronis, restore the image from external into the new disk.

Yep, easy peasy! ;)

Make sure to create your Acronis recovery disk to recover the image from your drive.

You could clone the old drive by installing the new drive into the external enclosure, run the Acronis clone program, and then swap the new drive into the computer.

Cloning and imaging are two different operations but the outcome is the same.

I've done it both ways.

You might need to specify which operating system you are using. I assume Windows, but you never know. Say which version. If, by small chance, you are running Ubuntu, I can tell you exactly how to do this. If you are using something else, another person will have to reply.

Windows XP.

So I'm going to image backup the current drive to the external hard drive, make an acronis recovery disk, swap out the old hard drive with the new one, then restore the image backup from the external hard drive to the new internal one using the acronis recovery cd? Did I get that right?

Windows XP.

So I'm going to image backup the current drive to the external hard drive, make an acronis recovery disk, swap out the old hard drive with the new one, then restore the image backup from the external hard drive to the new internal one using the acronis recovery cd? Did I get that right?
You could connect both internal drives at the same time and do a direct clone, too. It will be faster if you've got the cables.

Will there be an option for that in Acronis?
Any respectable backup software will allow you to do direct cloning. If it doesn't, I would recommend you grab Clonezilla, it's free and open source, and does everything.

Back