Hard Disk detecting only after restart.

sasuke108

n00b
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz

SSD: 2.5″ Kingston A400 240GB

2nd Drive: Western Digital 500GB

3rd Drive (new): Toshiba 4TB - formatted to GPT

So when i shutdown the pc and turn it back on, it will not detect the 4TB drive.
But when I restart the pc, then it detects it.

Please help.

look in the bios for a boot delay. its probably posting too fast for the drive to fully initialize.

If boot delay doesn't fix, also check your SATA cables and see if you can downgrade the sata version. I had a drive that wouldn't boot with sata 3, but worked fine with sata 2; I had to use tools tweak the bios image, so it ran in sata 2 mode during boot (no option in the original image) and then it worked fine. I did not notice the difference in perf, and it was a pain to undo when I got a bigger drive eventually, but it got things working.

Reactions: Axman
like this
look in the bios for a boot delay. its probably posting too fast for the drive to fully initialize.
I did not find any option for boot delay in bios
I research a lot how to increase the delay but I could not find it.

I disabled msi fast boot and fast boot - it does not make any difference to boot time.

I changed boot priority order - it does not make any difference.

Please help.

I did not find any option for boot delay in bios
I research a lot how to increase the delay but I could not find it.

I disabled msi fast boot and fast boot - it does not make any difference to boot time.

I changed boot priority order - it does not make any difference.

Please help.
under the same section as the fast boot options there is a sata device support option, make sure its on. you could also try hittin the pause button when you see the post screen, see if it word to pause it, hit enter to resume. not all bioses support it though.

Since it detects the hard disk when i restart, can it be a power cable issue?

Rule it out! But yeah, who knows, maybe the fan vibrations are what are making contact. Cables are delicate.

Rule it out! But yeah, who knows, maybe the fan vibrations are what are making contact. Cables are delicate.
ok I changed swap the 2nd and 3rd drive, the problem still exists. The 4TB did not detect after after first switch on. But it detects after restart.
So its not a power cable issue.

ok I changed swap the 2nd and 3rd drive, the problem still exists. The 4TB did not detect after after first switch on. But it detects after restart.
So its not a power cable issue.
Is your 4TB drive originally an external drive?

under the same section as the fast boot options there is a sata device support option, make sure its on. you could also try hittin the pause button when you see the post screen, see if it word to pause it, hit enter to resume. not all bioses support it though.
I don't see the "sata device support" option.

Attachments

• FastBoot.jpeg
    FastBoot.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SystemStatus.jpeg
    SystemStatus.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Advanced.jpeg
    Advanced.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0
I hit the "pause" button when i saw the msi logo screen and I waited 30 seconds then i hit enter - it does not work.

So when i shutdown the pc and turn it back on, it will not detect the 4TB drive.

Please help.
Do you guys think that my motherboard does not support a 4TB HDD or is it because the HDD is formatted in GPT.

Do you guys think that my motherboard does not support a 4TB HDD or is it because the HDD is formatted in GPT.
No. I suspect the hard drive comes from an external usb enclosure and you have a problem with the 3rd SATA power pin which is for sleep mode.

No. I suspect the hard drive comes from an external usb enclosure and you have a problem with the 3rd SATA power pin which is for sleep mode.
The 4TB drive is an internal drive. I had swapped sata cables and port connections, so the problem cannot be there.

Please help.
Do you guys think that if I perform a fresh windows installation in the ssd, the problem will be resolved?

Do you guys think that if I perform a fresh windows installation in the ssd, the problem will be resolved?
no. your board is posting before it initializes. what is the model of the drive? have you updated the bios + firmware yet?

It sounds more like a drive problem and not a board problem if the issue is following the drive on different port and cable connections. If you are using a shucked drive (or even a newer, retail non-nas drive) or have an older power supply you might be suffering from the 3.3v issue (which is what it more sounds like actually) and here is a link to how to manage that problem.

It sounds more like a drive problem and not a board problem if the issue is following the drive on different port and cable connections. If you are using a shucked drive (or even a newer, retail non-nas drive) or have an older power supply you might be suffering from the 3.3v issue (which is what it more sounds like actually) and here is a link to how to manage that problem.
some drives are just slow to initialize but it could be that i guess, which is also why i ask for the model.

If that's the issue, I would think it wouldn't work later either? I thought voltage on that pin kept the drive spun down, so older spec power supplies would keep it spun down always.

A third way to fix that issue is to cut the orange(?) wire. No drives need 3.3v, so you can just cut (and tape) the wire and your power supply is fixed forever.

Last time I had this problem it ended up being a bad sata cable. They seem to go bad as often as display port cables.

If that's the issue, I would think it wouldn't work later either? I thought voltage on that pin kept the drive spun down, so older spec power supplies would keep it spun down always.

A third way to fix that issue is to cut the orange(?) wire. No drives need 3.3v, so you can just cut (and tape) the wire and your power supply is fixed forever.
I dont think the issue is the voltage. The 500GB drive works fine. I had a 2TB drive which also worked fine.
Plus when I restart the 4TB works fine.

Please help.
The next solution I need to try is to delay the boot so that 4TB drive has enough time to start.
In my bios I dont see the option to do that.

How else can I do it?

I don't think I ever had a SATA cable just go bad.

Oh, dude, you are not trying [H]ard|Enough.

Most of 'em are cheap mobo box fillers and they can die if you pick them up wrong. While it's not sounding like the cable's the issue here, the cable absolutely should be the first thing you check.

Oh, dude, you are not trying [H]ard|Enough.

Most of 'em are cheap mobo box fillers and they can die if you pick them up wrong. While it's not sounding like the cable's the issue here, the cable absolutely should be the first thing you check.
No doubt worth a check but wtf you doing to have so many bad cables?!?

No doubt worth a check but wtf you doing to have so many bad cables?!?

I used to run a hardware review website. Cheap SATA cables make a little snap/pop sound like when you get a crick in your neck ... then they're all used up.

But more common is that the plastic around the plug cracks a bit. They connect kinda, and sag and disconnect.

I used to run a hardware review website. Cheap SATA cables make a little snap/pop sound like when you get a crick in your neck ... then they're all used up.

But more common is that the plastic around the plug cracks a bit. They connect kinda, and sag and disconnect.
i had already checked the cable.
Plus, when I restart the pc, the 4TB works.

Right now I'm just restarting my pc so I can use the 4TB hard disk.
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to delay the bios, given that I dont see that setting in my bios.

i had already checked the cable.
Plus, when I restart the pc, the 4TB works.

Right now I'm just restarting my pc so I can use the 4TB hard disk.
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to delay the bios, given that I dont see that setting in my bios.

Have you looked into Clover?

Replace the drive, it sounds defective... suprised nobody has said this yet.

Reactions: Axman
like this
My guess is damaged drive. Can you replicate it the issue using a simple USB 3.0 adapter. Super cheap on amazon.

Back