• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Half Life 2 = Meh, WT M8s

I can't stop laughing right now...LOL

/me bashes head into desk at work
 
JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
yes i know it was a typo, it was suppose to be 1984.

Every single kid in high school should be forced to read 1984. Then when we older fogies reference an 'orwellian state" or 'police citystate' or "war is peace' , the young punks know what we are talking about.

I actually chose to read it in high school and it literally changed my life. That book is one of the scariest reads cause deep down we all know it could come true.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Back to HL2 and it sucking whathaveyou.

I am enjoying the whining of those who play and not program. If one of the detractors of HL2 or Far Cry or Doom 3 took a moment to realize just how much work went into a single game, they may appreciate it more. Don't hold such unbelievably high expectations, and you might ACTUALLY enjoy a game once in a while.

It kind of reminds of those who bashed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy recently put to film.
 
A lot of people say that that the ending was horrible.

*SPOILER POSSIBLY*
I personally think that the ending was just the same as the first one, except that you start finding out a few things (if you think about it). Breen says something about your contract is made for the highest bidder, and the G-Man makes it sound as if he was the negotiator. Who knows. Just start listening to the dialogue.
 
I agree with you about the "puzzles".

Yet we have a "Stuck in HL2" thread that is over 12 pages long. Makes you wonder about some of the people playing.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to come by...

For instance, calculus theorems and trigometric anomalies are no problem for me, but throw me some ghetto geometric concepts and I might have to think for a bit.
 
DiscardME said:
Every single kid in high school should be forced to read 1984. Then when we older fogies reference an 'orwellian state" or 'police citystate' or "war is peace' , the young punks know what we are talking about.

I actually chose to read it in high school and it literally changed my life. That book is one of the scariest reads cause deep down we all know it could come true.

I read it in junior high (8th grade), I cant rember if we were required or not. I did alot of reading then. That is prob my all time favorite book. Another good "police citystate" story is equilibrium. almost a complete rip off of 1984 but still a very good movie. After I finished hl2 I had to watch that movie.

JEEVES
 
Bane said:
I think people expected less a few year back too. People today just can't seem to be satisfied no matter what you give them. I don't think there is a developer alive that can meet some peoples expectations.

And just as a note, that last comment is not directed at the started of this thread. It's just a general statment.

I agree...to a point. People do have high expectations...but whats the source of these expectations? All of the developers, the publishers, the retailers are motivated to push sales...how do they do it...hype, inflated review scores, etc. As consumers, our fault is within falling for the hype. Ive said this before, the last time I will fall for hype ever, was Doom 3. From now on, I either play it myself, or wait until "average joes" review the games, not the game review mags.

I bought HL2, but only after it was out a week, and I all the steam overload issues were mostly gone, and average people had a chance to play it.
 
That's one thing I wished interested me more was reading...sadly no. And just because you've never read a particular book hardly means your a punk DiscardME. Keep your insults to yourself.
 
1984 was required for us in High School. With the advent of higher technology, more instrusive use of it, the governments desire to have every piece of information in a database on all its citizens, the ever ending erosion of individual rights (ala the Patriot Act)
1984 might be 20 years late, but its still coming, one way or the other

RFID tags everywhere, no more cash-purchases, cell phones with GPS, cars that record everything you do...where does it end?

Maybe THX1138 would be a good required movie for people to watch....
 
Loved 1984 (wan't a required read but I read it), gonna try to get my girlfriend to read it. We It's suprising that many people don't get it when we say Orwelian, or Big Brother is watching you.
 
DISCLAIMER!!

Below are my Opinions about the game. I realize many people think a lot differently than I do. So please, don't go all "OMGZ Flamez 4 j00 mr. thinks-all-different than I do wtfbbq?!" on me, ok? :) Thanks.

------------------------------------

I, too, was dissapointed in the game.

It was VERY straight-forward. You couldn't run off in a different direction or anywhere, really, except where you were "supposed" to go. This was a good thing though, because noone ever told you where you were "supposed" to be going. For that matter, I never really knew what I was supposed to be DOING. I was just running through that pre-set path killing things along the way. Something about rescueing some scientist guy.

I wasn't absorbed into the game, it was kinda short, but thats a good thing because I honestly didn't like to story too much anyway. Sure, the graphics and physics were GREAT. But thats all it really had in my opinion. I realize theres a back story, but that doesn't make up for the fact that theres no real storyline. Its just kinda "Keep walking down that path until the game over screen flashes". I really NEVER knew what I was doing and where I was going.

And the airboat ride was horribly over-extended. I got so sick of it after a while, I kept praying that the next "loading" screen would be the end of it.

In the beginning, the loading screens came far too often, but towards the middle and end, they weren't so common, so that was good.

The end of the game was pretty cool, but since there was no storyline to wrap up, nothing really happened. I won't spoil it for anyone.

I also would have been a bit happier with some cooler guns. Aside from the ant-lions (which only worked in 1 level), the guns were all standard and mediocre. Ok, the grav-gun was cool too.

I don't know, the game was Ok. I certainately wouldn't give it a 9/10 overall. Easily for graphics and Physics, sure, 9/10. But for gameplay and storyline, meh. It was just "Run through and kill the same 5-6 different type of mobs for the whole damn game". Honestly, there was more monster variety in doom 3. I'd say 4.5/10 there.

This wasn't the game that it was made out to be. This isn't a game that I waited for so long for. I was very disappointed.
 
To each his own I guess.

I'm just past Ravenholm and the mines, and I've yet to see a bullsquid. Bullsquids were the best monster from the original HL. Are they in this game?
 
Jonsey said:
To each his own I guess.

I'm just past Ravenholm and the mines, and I've yet to see a bullsquid. Bullsquids were the best monster from the original HL. Are they in this game?

I didnt see any :confused:

Direwolf20-

I am not trying to flame you. But did you pay attention at all when people were talking to you, or even looked around the levels. I found the story was very indepth. The story was a sequil to the first hl. So of coarse it will tie back to that story alot. I can see how you can think there is no story if you just run through as fast you can and have never played the first one. Yes the game was liniar but what sp game isnt? The loading times were kinda long, but not unbearable. just think of everything that had to be loaded, those outside levels were huge. I honestly loved the story of the game and am playing through it again to make sure i didnt miss anything (well that and to play with blue grav gun). But like jonsey said...to each his own.

JEEVES
 
My guess is: the story will unfold more in the upcomming expansion/sequal. Don't forget we still have yet to see what happens to Corp. Sheppard (sp?) from op-force. More than likely, the expansion will continue his side of the story.
 
If you want a story told to you, read a book. If you can't figure out the story or infer things without having scrolling text explain to you why you're doing what you're doing, then try thinking.
 
Mojo3k70 said:
My guess is: the story will unfold more in the upcomming expansion/sequal. Don't forget we still have yet to see what happens to Corp. Sheppard (sp?) from op-force. More than likely, the expansion will continue his side of the story.

I hadn't even considered it, but that would be pretty interesting.
 
dudewth said:
If you want a story told to you, read a book. If you can't figure out the story or infer things without having scrolling text explain to you why you're doing what you're doing, then try thinking.

Or, if you're not able to participate in a good conversation, then don't post at all..
 
Mojo3k70 said:
My guess is: the story will unfold more in the upcomming expansion/sequal. Don't forget we still have yet to see what happens to Corp. Sheppard (sp?) from op-force. More than likely, the expansion will continue his side of the story.

That's a possibility. The Doom3 Expansion is supposed to be pretty good...
 
Maximus825 said:
Or, if you're not able to participate in a good conversation, then don't post at all..
That would depend on your definition of "good."
 
I agree with the loading screens. Why can't they load data as you are going through the level. I mean, there are a lot of people with really high-end systems that could handle this no problem..
 
i seriously doubt that a pc would be able to do that with the intense amount of calculations done in that game. they need to to make the game playable for a lot of people, not just people with 3.4ghz P4 EE's or athlon64 FX-55's.







spoiler!






i think that even if you dont pas as much attention as you should, the story will still be clear in the end, i mean gman basically tells you when you beat the game. he is your agent and sold you to a higher being to use you to destroy the combine. and now he says that you are going to whoever bids the highest on you. the combine were taking humans captive and then using them as slaves and tinkering with evolution. the combine are supposedly the next evolved form of the human so who knows. if you recall at the end of halflife1 you were given the option, but now gman chooses for you, and says that a lot of "higher beings" are not interested in you. and just a question, who/what is that thing that breen talks with at the end when you are chasing him?

here is a pic i found and think its pretty interesting regarding the situation
http://img123.exs.cx/img123/7690/d2_coast_050000.jpg
(wont upload it to prevent possible spoilers)
 
Everyone who complains about there is no story is use to games like Final Fantasy and Max Pain where a lot of the game you sit there watching a movie and not playing.... I don't know about you guys but i dont buy a game in hopes that it will come with a "movie" I wanna shot people! :D
 
Well, put it this way.

Does Valve expect everyone to buy/play HL2 ... do they expect everyone to know everything about HL1 and go play it and beat it days before HL2?

I'm pretty sure they don't.

Which is simply why i'm pissed there wasn't more preface and built in storyline.
Simple as that.
 
SYN ACK said:
Well, put it this way.

Does Valve expect everyone to buy/play HL2 ... do they expect everyone to know everything about HL1 and go play it and beat it days before HL2?

I'm pretty sure they don't.

Which is simply why i'm pissed there wasn't more preface and built in storyline.
Simple as that.


lmao, well put it this way

Does a movie sequel expect you to of seen the first one to understand what is going on in the second...you would think so. So what makes a game sequel any diffrent. Yes you should play the first one before you play the second, that is kinda how a story goes. Do you buy a book/movie and start with the middle or the begining?

mabey this will help you understand

sequel - Something that follows; a continuation. ;A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.

So logic would say they do expect you to have played the first. (however i am kinda pissed they didnt release hls before hl2, i wanted to go back and play it again but didnt becuase i wanted to play hl2 more)

JEEVES
 
JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
lol thats what i get for trying to type and talk at the same time. god damn tech support jobs.

JEEVES
You coulda thrown them a curve and just said it was very Orwellian in nature. :p
The city and it's residents did have that morose feel and dreary outlook. Very nice. I love the game so far, and look forward to playing it again at the next difficulty level. I guess I suck at FPS too, I had bigtime problems with the bridge (falling is bad)



p.s. I just finished 1984 for 10th time or so. Creepy book and very much like the state of the US and the 'patriot act' right now. :eek:
 
SYN ACK said:
Well, put it this way.

Does Valve expect everyone to buy/play HL2 ... do they expect everyone to know everything about HL1 and go play it and beat it days before HL2?

I'm pretty sure they don't.

Which is simply why i'm pissed there wasn't more preface and built in storyline.
Simple as that.
Are you serious?
Yes you are expected to have played the first one. Why would you even want to play the second without even having tried the first one? Do yourself a favor, and get caught up on some of the back story.
 
JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
lmao, well put it this way

Does a movie sequel expect you to of seen the first one to understand what is going on in the second...you would think so. So what makes a game sequel any diffrent. Yes you should play the first one before you play the second, that is kinda how a story goes. Do you buy a book/movie and start with the middle or the begining?

mabey this will help you understand

sequel - Something that follows; a continuation. ;A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.

So logic would say they do expect you to have played the first. (however i am kinda pissed they didnt release hls before hl2, i wanted to go back and play it again but didnt becuase i wanted to play hl2 more)

JEEVES


Ahh, I knew this was coming.

But you see, I've played HL1. So your little "jab" doesn't apply to me.


But I'm saying, from another person's perspective...you have to throw them a friggin bone here, maybe an intro movie or cutscene or something.

The story sucks, period. Maybe it'll pickup soon (hopefully) cause I'm only at the dune buggy....man i hope so.
 
SYN ACK said:
Ahh, I knew this was coming.

But you see, I've played HL1. So your little "jab" doesn't apply to me.


But I'm saying, from another person's perspective...you have to throw them a friggin bone here, maybe an intro movie or cutscene or something.

The story sucks, period. Maybe it'll pickup soon (hopefully) cause I'm only at the dune buggy....man i hope so.

I'm at the dune buggy too. I like the story. How can you not like running over combine with the airboat and running over sand lions (ant lions?) with the buggy?

I think the noise of the buggy when you put on the turbo is pretty good too.
 
DiscardME said:
Every single kid in high school should be forced to read 1984. Then when we older fogies reference an 'orwellian state" or 'police citystate' or "war is peace' , the young punks know what we are talking about.

I actually chose to read it in high school and it literally changed my life. That book is one of the scariest reads cause deep down we all know it could come true.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Back to HL2 and it sucking whathaveyou.

I am enjoying the whining of those who play and not program. If one of the detractors of HL2 or Far Cry or Doom 3 took a moment to realize just how much work went into a single game, they may appreciate it more. Don't hold such unbelievably high expectations, and you might ACTUALLY enjoy a game once in a while.

It kind of reminds of those who bashed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy recently put to film.

Shit, I'm only 19 and I know what you guys are talking about. and....there were people who bashed the LotR Trilogy? :eek:
 
The thing about the ending is, if the G-Man is that powerful, then why does he need Gordon?
I found it to be absurd.

-driller

Bane said:
I feel the same about the ending, I liked it.
 
the same reason the godfather doesnt go out and kill all the people he doesnt like, he gets people to do it for him. because he can :)
 
driller said:
The thing about the ending is, if the G-Man is that powerful, then why does he need Gordon?
I found it to be absurd.

-driller

because walking around as a suited goonie hitting things with a briefcase would be boring.
 
JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
almost a complete rip off of 1984 but still a very good movie. After I finished hl2 I had to watch that movie.
JEEVES
Maybe THX1138 would be a good required movie for people to watch....

basically the same movie, cept lucas made his 4 years earlier, thx makes people not think, equalibrium makes people not feel emotion...



back on topic, ok, a story: something that is told to you about a person or time...

you are gordon freeman, you MAKE THE STORY, you want more details, ADD MORE DETAILS, run around, have fun with the game, they give you that freedom
 
you are gordon freeman, you MAKE THE STORY, you want more details, ADD MORE DETAILS, run around, have fun with the game, they give you that freedom

If that were true then I would be able to murder the resistance and help the Combine accomplish their final goals (And I would, too...that's why I love games like KOTOR. Being bad makes ya feel good).
 
3N1GM4 said:
basically the same movie, cept lucas made his 4 years earlier, thx makes people not think, equalibrium makes people not feel emotion...

bah, i didnt realize that was you till i started to quote you. Yes i know they are basicly the same, and they are both prety much rips of 1984. All 3 are great stories tho. hm they should do a cross over movie where people are forced to take both. no feeling and no thinking, the ultimate in population control right there.

make your own story, for the most part. hl2 gives you the basic idea of what you are doing and it is up to you to imagine the rest. this allows you to become even more imersed as the charecter. I am waiting for the day where you can enter your name in and everone would speak it (not in text).

JEEVES
 
WickedAngel said:
If that were true then I would be able to murder the resistance and help the Combine accomplish their final goals (And I would, too...that's why I love games like KOTOR. Being bad makes ya feel good).

Hehe, Black & White was sweet for that. I loved having my monkey flinging his crap at the villagers...
 
I guess comming up with a premise that made sense was boring to :)

-driller

omega-x said:
because walking around as a suited goonie hitting things with a briefcase would be boring.
 
well.. apparently most of you don't get that Gordon doesn't know wtf is going and since you're Gordon.. you don't know wtf is going on.

For the OP.. how could you not know how Gordon got to Ravenholm.. just pay attention to the damn characters
 
Got to admit the story just sucked. I found myself driving a boat and flying up and down being chased.

I listened to all what the people said. All they said is just how amazing i am and said just go. Then i find myself listening to a old fat man onto of a house attic screaming at me.:)

the story just doesn't make sense unless u read some book or something.

HL1's story is way better thats for sure. I bet hl1 source is gonna own hl2 in story but not in graphics.
 
did anyone recognize the voice of the crazy preist in ravenholm?
I did, i think , but im not telling
 
Back
Top