• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Half-Life 2 freezing up

ManCannon

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
2,451
Half-Life 2 and CS:S both freeze up within 5 minutes of playing everytime on my PC. I'll be playing and everything will be fine then the game will freeze and the sound will loop and I'm stuck like that until I reboot.

Here's the thing. The game played fine at one point. Then I get one of those updates from Steam and now this. I can't play either game now. And thanks to the crap that is Steam I can't go back to an earlier patch and continue playing. Anyone have any idea what I can do about this?

Doom 3 and UT2004 both run fine with no problems. HL2 and CS:S both do this whether my videocard is overclocked or not.
 
ive got the same problem... i used to be able to play CS:S for hours not after maybe 30 minutes to an hour it "crashes" and sound loops and i have to hit reset casue i cant even alt-tab

my system specs

Gigabyte K8ns 939-Ultra
Athlon 64 3500+
1gb PC3200
200gb HD
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

(btw mobo/graphics card are for sale $350 for the pair)
 
I know I'm just "slinging advice", but did you guys update video, audio, and mobo drivers? If you're using latest drivers, maybe taking a step back on driver version would help.

I know this most likely doesn't apply, but the last time I saw this happen in person turned out to be a bad PSU, so bad power to video card. That's a 1 in a million odds, but it did happen. Good luck.
 
atherton213 said:
ive got the same problem... i used to be able to play CS:S for hours not after maybe 30 minutes to an hour it "crashes" and sound loops and i have to hit reset casue i cant even alt-tab

my system specs

Gigabyte K8ns 939-Ultra
Athlon 64 3500+
1gb PC3200
200gb HD
Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

(btw mobo/graphics card are for sale $350 for the pair)

I bet your going SLI aren't ya? heh
 
any chance either of you are using a Linksys Router??

I use to have that problem..locking up and looping sound..until I reversed My firmware on my Router..No more problems..yay..

I believe router firmware was 1.45
 
aZn_plyR said:
I bet your going SLI aren't ya? heh


maybe :D want my stuff

any chance either of you are using a Linksys Router??

I use to have that problem..locking up and looping sound..until I reversed My firmware on my Router..No more problems..yay..

I believe router firmware was 1.45

and hogan yes i am using a linksys wireless router... pluged into it right now... not using it wireless... ill check firmware
 
I noticed the same problem for the past few days. I will be playing and all the sudden it will freez and i'll get a looping sound or a horrible screechign sound.
 
Jrmicon said:
I noticed the same problem for the past few days. I will be playing and all the sudden it will freez and i'll get a looping sound or a horrible screechign sound.
Hmm, I've been having this problem since I set up my new machine but I doubt it's got anything to do with my Linksys router (other PCs are fine, and it happens in other games). I'm having a bear of a time figuring it out. Recently the crash changed from a straight lock-up with the screeching sound to a blue screened stop error which I was already getting with Splinter Cell. Pretty bizzarre, at first I thought it was my memory but it doesn't sound like it is after further testing.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=860717

The machine, being new, has all the latest drivers and whatnot so I'm wondering if it's something we've all DL'd recenlty... Some driver/update/etc.
 
im guessing its the newest steam update.... i never had a problem before on this computer.... played through hl2 no problem...
 
Well I unplugged my routher just to test, and I played for a while with no problems. Started at Kleiner's lab and got to Black Mesa East. Doesn't guarantee it's the router, but considering it almost always happened within 20 minutes, it's a pretty good indication.
 
Anyone have trouble logging into Steam tonight? I can't login nor access their forums... rather weird.
 
Heh, nm about Steam, forums must be getting hammered... Finally got in and there's a couple bajillion threads regarding Steam being down and login troubles... First bad experince I've had with Steam, kinda crappy I can't play sp 'cuz they have server troubles but oh well... Time to install another game to test with I guess.
 
The stuttering/crash errors seems to be an engine problem that Valve has yet to be able to fully address.

you might want to try going into your HL2 launch options in steam, and add the following:

-mem_force_flush 1 -heapsize 524288 -mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 1 -snd_mixahead 0.7 -cl_forcepreload 1 -sv_forcepreload 1 -cl_smooth 0

this could help lessen your lockups and stuttering.
 
Well I don't think the stuttering issue is related. I used to have the stuttering problem on my old computwer with 512 MB of RAM. As soon as I built this and got a GB, all the stuttering problems went away.

I think it is the router. I mean, I've played for like an hour and a half with no problems with the router off, yet with it on it usually freezes up within 10 to 20 minutes everytime.
 
ManCannon.....I actually have been having this same problem. I noticed you have a Creative sound card. I have the Audigy2 and have been having some lockups. Could this be sound card related?
 
CFodder said:
ManCannon.....I actually have been having this same problem. I noticed you have a Creative sound card. I have the Audigy2 and have been having some lockups. Could this be sound card related?

nope cause i have the problem too... and i dont have a creative card
 
It just happened with the router disconnected from the computer, so perhaps it is something else. Is there something in our rigs that we all have in common? All my stuff is listed in my sig.
 
Back
Top