Haiku R1/Alpha 1 now available...

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Yes I'm bored but, it's an OS and it's just released so, fire up those VMs!!!

http://www.haiku-os.org/

Haiku is what came from the old BeOS which a lot of us will remember (as long as the drugs and booze haven't done too much damage to the brain cells I guess - not an issue for me) and seeks to keep that dream of the very simple yet high-performance aspect of computing operating systems alive.

It's available as a regular ISO for installation or a pre-built VMWare image ready to roll. The ISO is only 164MB (the VMWare image is 163MB) so, it's pretty tiny. Will toss it up in a VirtualBox here in a bit and play around with it just for fun...

Especially considering when it was developed and released, BeOS remains the most impressive desktop operating system I have ever seen or used.

kick ass, BeOS was so damn awesome, its hard to believe it was developed when it was...

Especially considering when it was developed and released, BeOS remains the most impressive desktop operating system I have ever seen or used.

+1..... amazing OS.... will install when i get home later tonight :)

I have used the old BeOS PE (Personal Edition) R5 many years ago on a Celeron 400 system. Was pretty nifty, but couldn't really figure out a reason why I'd want to use it as my primary OS. Haiku has interested me ever since they started and I have run it in a VM on quite a few occasions. They seem to have done an excellent job replicating the experience of the 'old' BeOS.

Of course, the same 'apps and hardware support' question still lingers. Haiku can run BeOS apps (binary compatible), but my experiences on sites like BeBits have made it clear to me that Haiku will, just like BeOS, best work in a niche environment rather than as a day-to-day OS.

One thing I do love about Haiku, however, is that it makes even a standard WinXP install look positively humongous (~1 GB) let alone a Win7 install (5+ GB). Its install size is closer to that of Win98, which I think makes it very suitable for smaller systems, netbooks and such. Ah, Haiku on ARM... ;)

kick ass, BeOS was so damn awesome, its hard to believe it was developed when it was...

Yeah it moved danged quick....way back then I ran it on an HP Vectra with dual Pentium Pro 1..err...either PP 150's or PP 180's. One of the early dual CPU super socket 8 boxes, 4.3 SCSI drive.

I think I've got B.A.S.I.C. on some punchcards in a storage bin someplace... seriously. :p

I think I still have punchcards with Fortran 77 and WATFIVE. :p
Ahh..and BASIC...loved that first programming class. And the long load times of apps on tape cassettes.

Tape? TAPE? Shit man... how about D.I.P. switches thrown in sequence just to get a byte input... puuuhhhleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz hehehe

Got the VM and going to play with it on my machine later.

D/ling the iso and going to try and install it on a spare GX270.

Was a big BeOS fan back in the day and was sad the day Be announced their focus shift. It was obvious at that point that the desktop market wasn't something they were interested in competing in any longer.

Das Blinkenlights!

Back