• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Hackintosh?

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
How sensitive is OSX to the hardware of the computer?

I'm contemplating trying to load OSX 10.6 (snow leopard??) on a system based on a GB Z97 iTX board and a Core i5 CPU.
 
Chipset will most likely be fine, CPU also (although you might need 10.6.3 installer to start with IIRC). What's the GFX? nVidia is preferrable, but for example 5770 works great in Snow Leopard. Some motherboard peripherals might also be affected - Soundcards are a bit of a pain but there are hacks, some NICs need additional drivers... It's easily doable if you give it time.

Just a hint from personal experience - Clover saves you a lot of headaches (in most cases you don't need to worry about DSDT...) even though it might be hard to configure from the offset. Happy hackintoshing. ;)
 
Chipset will most likely be fine, CPU also (although you might need 10.6.3 installer to start with IIRC). What's the GFX? nVidia is preferrable, but for example 5770 works great in Snow Leopard. Some motherboard peripherals might also be affected - Soundcards are a bit of a pain but there are hacks, some NICs need additional drivers... It's easily doable if you give it time.

Just a hint from personal experience - Clover saves you a lot of headaches (in most cases you don't need to worry about DSDT...) even though it might be hard to configure from the offset. Happy hackintoshing. ;)

Thanks.
I'm trying to boot with a Tony x86 boot disc, but I get some errors and I can't get into the install DVD....it's a Retail OSX DVD.
I do use an old AMD 4890......maybe that's the issue.
I'm going to try just the on-board GPU and see if that fixes it.
 
Last I checked these discussions aren't allowed here, so unless something changed I would just close this.
 
I didn't know this was an issue?

Simply a software issue. I bought everything I have legitimately.

But if that's the case.....:eek: sorry.
 
Not really worth it anymore, especially not for 10.6.8. Snow Leopard is stable on the right hardware (the same can't be said for a Hackintosh with the more recent builds of OS X) but it's fairly outdated at this point and no longer suitable for iOS development or the other types of things that make a Hackintosh compelling.

The topic's not really allowed to be discussed here, but there's definitely a reason why Hackintoshes have fallen by the wayside in the past couple years.
 
Thanks.
All Im trying to do is recover some data from the HDD on my daughters older MBP.

I was hoping to load an OS on a blank HDD and see if I could resurrect the data.

The MBP wont boot up.
 
Thanks.
All Im trying to do is recover some data from the HDD on my daughters older MBP.

I was hoping to load an OS on a blank HDD and see if I could resurrect the data.

The MBP wont boot up.

Try an Ubuntu LiveUSB/DVD. It's configured out of the box to mount HFS+.
 
Back
Top