• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Hacker Group Promises Doom for Sony

Mr Jim Brown

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
168
Link

Didn't see this anywhere else. Interesting story. Apparently Sony is facing an uphill battle with the disgruntled hacking community. We all knew the recent PSN outages were a result of security breaches, but this is going to keep Sony on their heals for quite a while.

I was hoping to see the PSN fully restored this week. With this public statement from the hacking community, I wouldn't be surprised to see some PSN online services suspended indefinitely.
 
Holy shit, don't these guys have anything else to do with their time? I'm so happy they feel the need to screw Sony, because Sony is not the only one who is being affected by this garbage.
 
So the livelihoods of tens of thousands of employees is worth whatever they have "lost"? Peoples sense of entitlement is astounding, however unlikely this is.

Possible outcomes:

1. They get caught, and hopefully sent to prison where they get eaten by anteaters, everyone is happy.
2. Sony can't do PSN anymore, continue without and do offline games. PS4 comes out and they do the same with the latest thing script kiddies are using. Sony says fuck gaming, and goes back to doing things like inventing stuff that everyone uses and their other electronics departments. All of the game development companies they fund go under, or go to activision. Everyone is miserable.
 
it is one thing to screw Sony, it is another to screw it's customers which is what is happening.

Now, i would NOT put it past sony, that the systems being Targeted may not interfer with PSN for example and that Sony is taking it on and off, to claim such a thing to get pitty from the public.

Frankly, Sony wants to protect their product, you cant blame them, however, finding out that their customer data is really, not secure, what a joke.
 
Last edited:
I'll admit I haven't been following the whole story, but this stems from Sony not allowing PS3 users to modify consoles right? People were sued, legal battles, and an eventual uproar from gamers (read hackers)?

Im on the fence, but probably because I'm not as invested as some modders. Fortunately for me I could care less as I was not impressed with PSN in the first place and I really only played offline games on it. A little upset I can't get the Fallout NVDLC but meh. I think it's a but absurd that Sony went after individuals who may or may not but probably did take advantage of the console, but I take the PS3 to be a gaming console with a few small additions, like media streaming, and nothing more.

I started gaming on consoles because I felt like I was chasing the dragon with PC upkeep. I traded in the superior quality for convenience, so I could really care leas what ridiculous things you can also do with it. Seems to me that the average gamer is suffering a lot from what this small community of irate hackers is doing.

Or i may be grossly misinformed. Regardless, due to all this BS, I might never spend money on another PS3 related item again. Guys over at Microsoft must be laughing all the way to the bank right now.
 
The MS guys might be laughing, but they are also probably looking at ways to beef up their own security.

I think the original hackers made their point and crippled PSN for over a month now. Sony's terrible security has been exposed and the company in general looks terrible. The hackers got their revenge if that was the desire. But at this point it is really just screwing over PS owners.
 
At first I was sorta for the hackers but now they are just pissing me off. Seriously, quit ruining it for the gamers. This is just getting out of hand.

Fuck it, I'm in my last class to get my bachelors degree and I should be focusing on that anyways.
 
If I was Sony I would go scorched earth on these mofos. I'm sure they're already doing what they can to track them down but I would spend every penny to find these assholes, then sue them for all the money they probably don't have, put them in a financial black hole, and throw them in jail. Make them an example and show them that the company is not to be fucked with - maybe other assholes thinking of trying this in the future will think twice.
 
If I was Sony I would go scorched earth on these mofos. I'm sure they're already doing what they can to track them down but I would spend every penny to find these assholes, then sue them for all the money they probably don't have, put them in a financial black hole, and throw them in jail. Make them an example and show them that the company is not to be fucked with - maybe other assholes thinking of trying this in the future will think twice.

Um they already tried that with Geohotz...which is why they are in the shit with the hackers right now.

Sony needs to invest in actual security for their servers and online services instead of leaving things unfirewalled, unpatched and crying "hackers! earthquakes! hackers!" when their gross negligence let the hackers get into their shit in the first place.
 
Um they already tried that with Geohotz...which is why they are in the shit with the hackers right now.

Sony needs to invest in actual security for their servers and online services instead of leaving things unfirewalled, unpatched and crying "hackers! earthquakes! hackers!" when their gross negligence let the hackers get into their shit in the first place.

I completely agree with you on the security but it doesn't mean what the hackers are doing is right. Geohotz case was a mixed bag and hard to prosecute, this on the other hand won't have as many shades of gray.
 
The MS guys might be laughing, but they are also probably looking at ways to beef up their own security.

I think the original hackers made their point and crippled PSN for over a month now. Sony's terrible security has been exposed and the company in general looks terrible. The hackers got their revenge if that was the desire. But at this point it is really just screwing over PS owners.

Yup, if MS is smart they are watching, but i would think MS probably is light years ahead of Sony when it comes to security, believe it or not.

Um they already tried that with Geohotz...which is why they are in the shit with the hackers right now.

Sony needs to invest in actual security for their servers and online services instead of leaving things unfirewalled, unpatched and crying "hackers! earthquakes! hackers!" when their gross negligence let the hackers get into their shit in the first place.


Yup to me now the issue seems to be that these groups want to further show that Sony is NOT secure, they are not doing the best they can to protect their customers and really dont care.
 
I hope the hackers accidently walk infront of a train, and I dont even own a PS3 :p
 
Yup to me now the issue seems to be that these groups want to further show that Sony is NOT secure, they are not doing the best they can to protect their customers and really dont care.

lol! Im so sure that the hackers are doing this to show that PSN customer information is not secure. Give me a break.
 
I'll admit I haven't been following the whole story, but this stems from Sony not allowing PS3 users to modify consoles right? People were sued, legal battles, and an eventual uproar from gamers (read hackers)?

Im on the fence, but probably because I'm not as invested as some modders. Fortunately for me I could care less as I was not impressed with PSN in the first place and I really only played offline games on it. A little upset I can't get the Fallout NVDLC but meh. I think it's a but absurd that Sony went after individuals who may or may not but probably did take advantage of the console, but I take the PS3 to be a gaming console with a few small additions, like media streaming, and nothing more.

I started gaming on consoles because I felt like I was chasing the dragon with PC upkeep. I traded in the superior quality for convenience, so I could really care leas what ridiculous things you can also do with it. Seems to me that the average gamer is suffering a lot from what this small community of irate hackers is doing.

Or i may be grossly misinformed. Regardless, due to all this BS, I might never spend money on another PS3 related item again. Guys over at Microsoft must be laughing all the way to the bank right now.

A lot of the problems cropped up when ways to circumvent game DRM started cropping up. Sure people can say ZOMG OtherOS was removed but shit did not hit the fan for Sony until they started coming after the guys trying to open up the PS3 DRM.

Though I do think this was a sideshow. There is no justice in what the hackers did.
 
Yup, if MS is smart they are watching, but i would think MS probably is light years ahead of Sony when it comes to security, believe it or not.

If MS is smart they will keep their mouths shut and not get hackers thinking about them. If Live went down it would be a lot more serious of an issue, since it is a paid for service unlike PSN.
 
If MS is smart they will keep their mouths shut and not get hackers thinking about them. If Live went down it would be a lot more serious of an issue, since it is a paid for service unlike PSN.

I'd be pissed just because XBL is a better service. Sure it's paid, but I'm not taking a second mortgage to pay for it. PSN was garbage IMO, mostly because the menu system is unintuitive and there's no party chat. I never got excited to get into an online game on the PS3...

but I know a whole lot of people did and they are the ones suffering. If this was an issue that affected the average gamer I am sure gamers wouldn't be getting disgruntled, but the ones ruining it are complaining about issues that are far beyond the tech savvy of the average Joe.

This is like guys complaining that their car has a speed-limiter and lashing out against GM. Meanwhile the 99% of normal drivers could care less, or even know its there because they use their property in a responsible and sensible manner. Hackers is one of my favorite movie but I gotta say STFU to this underground community.

Of all the things to hack, too. Baffles me that people have this level of programming experience and focus on this.
 
lol! Im so sure that the hackers are doing this to show that PSN customer information is not secure. Give me a break.

Have a kit kat?

this group clearly wants to take down Sony, they said it themselves, i was just saying what better way then to show the world how insecure they are.
 
I'd be pissed just because XBL is a better service. Sure it's paid, but I'm not taking a second mortgage to pay for it. PSN was garbage IMO, mostly because the menu system is unintuitive and there's no party chat. I never got excited to get into an online game on the PS3...

but I know a whole lot of people did and they are the ones suffering. If this was an issue that affected the average gamer I am sure gamers wouldn't be getting disgruntled, but the ones ruining it are complaining about issues that are far beyond the tech savvy of the average Joe.

This is like guys complaining that their car has a speed-limiter and lashing out against GM. Meanwhile the 99% of normal drivers could care less, or even know its there because they use their property in a responsible and sensible manner. Hackers is one of my favorite movie but I gotta say STFU to this underground community.

Of all the things to hack, too. Baffles me that people have this level of programming experience and focus on this.
Hackers doesn't represent reality. Just sayin'. ;)

If you can steal info and possibly credit card numbers from an online service like PSN, there is a ton of money in selling that info. It makes sense to hack it if they're looking for a relatively simple (due to lack of security by Sony) way to make some money. They just use their skill for their own purposes rather than getting a "real job".

I've used both Live and PSN and I think they both work OK. Live does seem to have a better interface though. But PSN is free, so what do you want? :)
 
I'm still laughing...best of luck to the hackers - Sony deserves it. If things go well, Sony will learn a lesson or two. Given Sony has no security and thinks DRM over the top on DVDs and BluRay in ADDITION to rootkits on audio CDs is acceptable, Sony deserves this.

As for Sony creating electronics we all use? Like Betamax? And Minidisc? Oh, what about SACD?
 
eventually the hackers will squander whatever marginal good will/support they had and public opinion will begin to edge toward sony's behalf
 
I'm still laughing...best of luck to the hackers - Sony deserves it. If things go well, Sony will learn a lesson or two. Given Sony has no security and thinks DRM over the top on DVDs and BluRay in ADDITION to rootkits on audio CDs is acceptable, Sony deserves this.

As for Sony creating electronics we all use? Like Betamax? And Minidisc? Oh, what about SACD?

Yeah they are terrible for having DRM on their products. Shame on them for trying to protect their product. :rolleyes:

The assholes have done enough. They screwed the customers out of the PSN for a month and showed how vulnerable Sony is. There's no need to continue.

EDIT -

I'm not saying what Sony did by sueing the shit out of Geoholtz (sp?) was ok, but I could give two craps about removing the OS. And frankly, I'd be willing to bed the general public probably never knew that feature existed anyway. Only a small percentage of people actually cared. The hackers crippled Sony and did their job. Enough is enough. Go outside, drink a beer, get laid. Something. They need to get over it. This is getting out of hand.
 
Last edited:
Yeah they are terrible for having DRM on their products. Shame on them for trying to protect their product. :rolleyes:

The assholes have done enough. They screwed the customers out of the PSN for a month and showed how vulnerable Sony is. There's no need to continue.

EDIT -

I'm not saying what Sony did by sueing the shit out of Geoholtz (sp?) was ok, but I could give two craps about removing the OS. And frankly, I'd be willing to bed the general public probably never knew that feature existed anyway. Only a small percentage of people actually cared. The hackers crippled Sony and did their job. Enough is enough. Go outside, drink a beer, get laid. Something. They need to get over it. This is getting out of hand.

I agree wholeheartedly here. I wish Sony had taken the high road when the PS3 got broken open and just said, ok guys, have fun. Please pay for some of your games. The lawsuit against Hotz was something that annoyed me a bit. But seriously, fuck these guys that keep going after Sony. You made your point. Now GTFO and let me play my PS3 again and let Sony lick their wounds in the corner.
 
Now GTFO and let me play my PS3 again and let Sony lick their wounds in the corner.

Word. I didn't mind the first time because it was finals weeks of a tough semester and I was busy with projects and what not anyway. But now that school is out of the way I have more free time and I want to play my games damnit.
 
I'm still laughing...best of luck to the hackers - Sony deserves it. If things go well, Sony will learn a lesson or two. Given Sony has no security and thinks DRM over the top on DVDs and BluRay in ADDITION to rootkits on audio CDs is acceptable, Sony deserves this.

As for Sony creating electronics we all use? Like Betamax? And Minidisc? Oh, what about SACD?

DRM is fine, rootkit securom is annoying and not needed. Also, I see this is some retribution for ruining EQ and EQ2.. also Planetside... and Vanguard.
 
I totally thought by the title of the thread we might be talking about a new "Doom" game...
 
The hackers won't let people support Sony and continue to use their products (PSN).
 
DRM is fine, rootkit securom is annoying and not needed. Also, I see this is some retribution for ruining EQ and EQ2.. also Planetside... and Vanguard.

OK, so...I put a Sony DVD into my PC a few years ago to play it. Actually - DVDs. Casino Royale and Shootout or whatever it was called (Clive Owen) - neither played UNTIL AnyDVD was installed.

DRM isn't fine. HDCP, AACS...they're all pointless and obtrusive. Rootkits on CDs are unacceptable.
 
Ah the bully moment that works under the premise of "free speech and transparency". Unless of course you speak out against them, at which point you get unrelentlessly harassed.
 
all this shit point me to one thing... the end of the free psn.
 
Have a kit kat?

this group clearly wants to take down Sony, they said it themselves, i was just saying what better way then to show the world how insecure they are.

Not really. They are not "exposing" Sony as being insecure, they are directly going after Sony no matter what security they have.

Jesus Christ, people here amaze me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT -- Also, who's to say LIVE is secure? I'm sure if they actually wanted to get through to LIVE they can and easily.
 
Not really. They are not "exposing" Sony as being insecure, they are directly going after Sony no matter what security they have.

Jesus Christ, people here amaze me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT -- Also, who's to say LIVE is secure? I'm sure if they actually wanted to get through to LIVE they can and easily.

Who wants to bet MS is smart enough to not store plain text passwords and allow SQL injection?
 
Not really. They are not "exposing" Sony as being insecure, they are directly going after Sony no matter what security they have.

Jesus Christ, people here amaze me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT -- Also, who's to say LIVE is secure? I'm sure if they actually wanted to get through to LIVE they can and easily.


Good point, and one that people are missing. Sony was hacked because hackers had beef with them, not because they had weak security. Had it been Microsoft that disgruntled the hackers, they would have eventually "exposed" XBL security. These guys are going to hack whatever they want. The reality is nothing is secure from a hacker's perspective. To say that Sony's security is inferior to any other online service is a bit naive, regardless of it is a paid service or not. Seems people are approaching this as if Sony doesn't employ any security people because they are not getting money from the PSN service. Money comes in from all sorts of places... you can't draw straight lines with the flow of money in a business this large.

I am not part of that community, but I know that a good chunk of those people are --or were at one point-- IT professionals. They know IT security inside and out, and often times are more knowledgeable than the people trying to put up defenses.

What these guys are doing is crushing consumer confidence in Sony, and it is not deserved. This is retaliation that is not warranted, and I can't believe that I am now siding with a big business. These "hackers" are acting childish.

This is some "if she won't love me, I'll make sure she doesn't love anyone" BS.
 
Back
Top