Hack-Proof PS3 In Development?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to anonymous sources, a "hackproof" PS3 is being developed by Sony. The story is pretty flimsy but I know how much you guys like it when someone claims a company is making a "hackproof" product.

The unnamed sources have also released details about the alleged PS3's specs. "The hack-proof SKU will be a slim PlayStation 3 model and will contain a 300GB hard drive as an incentive to purchase the hack-proof system – the price of the SKU will be £186.99."

According to anonymous sources, a "hackproof" PS3 is being developed by Sony. The story is pretty flimsy but I know how much you guys like it when someone claims a company is making a "hackproof" product.

Calling something "hackproof" is the same as mailing out personal invitations to every cracker out there asking them to rip it apart.

the new PS3 will have no wifi or bluetooth connectivity... it will also have the ethernet and USB ports removed along with the optical drive... lol

then maybe it'll be hack proof

After the banning and unbanning of random people on the PSnetwork. I have very little faith in them to build anything hackproof.

the new PS3 will have no wifi or bluetooth connectivity... it will also have the ethernet and USB ports removed along with the optical drive... lol

then maybe it'll be hack proof
Nah, it will still be hackable. Take out the ethernet and integrate the chips into the PCB (rather than soldering on top of the PCB), or so that at least the chip dies are within the PCB. No peripherals allowed either. :rolleyes:

A seven year old can hack a damn Sony product.

The little bastard can figure out how to install homebrew on the wii but I still have to make his lunches.

The little bastard can figure out how to install homebrew on the wii but I still have to make his lunches.

No goddamn crust, and stop clicking links in your junk mail!

i thought i read they were going to implement CD keys as a way to prevent hacking and the system must always be connected online to play.

If you have access to the hardware, theres no such thing. Unless you put a bomb in it or something that goes off when its opened.

I still can't figure out why they even care so much.
Sony is one of those "weird" name-brand companies that have an infinite supply of money to do whatever they want. They're just exercising their powers (based on their infinite moniness). :D

After all, they make VCRs, TVs, and a huge line of several other products and appliances that people will buy. Gaming consoles aren't the only thing Sony does. :p

Calling something "hackproof" is the same as mailing out personal invitations to every cracker out there asking them to rip it apart.

We have a Winner.

Explain why it took over 4 years to crack the PS3 then if a 7 year old can do it... :rolleyes:

That said, I doubt this is much more then a rumor. Perhaps a "fixed" sku that removes the current master key exploit but hardly hackproof.

That said, if Sony wants to sell me another PS3 some things need to happen;

1) Bring back the Good looking version of the PS3...the slim is ass ugly and I refuse to have one. If either of my fat ps3's die and I am forced to buy a slim it will be to put its guts in the fat.

2) Bring back BC at the hardware level with the emotion chip. Some of us actually do want this. If it needs to be it's own sku at a different price point, I doubt those that really want it would mind shelling out a bit more.

3) Dear god put a better wifi chip in it..JFC that thing is horrible.

4) Enable HDMI-CEC on the Bloody fat version already. That is the one and only slim feature that annoys me that doesn't work on mine.

Give me those things and when my current ones die I will be happily buying another new one and not looking for a used one I can gut.

After the banning and unbanning of random people on the PSnetwork. I have very little faith in them to build anything hackproof.

if it's made by man, it can be hacked by man.

What these guys said. I was gonna say something, but they said it for me. *sigh* I was too late again... Stuff like this makes me smile and happy that I went with Team Xbox.

hackproof just means more people will go out of their way to proove otherwise

We have a Winner.

Explain why it took over 4 years to crack the PS3 then if a 7 year old can do it... :rolleyes:

That said, I doubt this is much more then a rumor. Perhaps a "fixed" sku that removes the current master key exploit but hardly hackproof.

That said, if Sony wants to sell me another PS3 some things need to happen;

1) Bring back the Good looking version of the PS3...the slim is ass ugly and I refuse to have one. If either of my fat ps3's die and I am forced to buy a slim it will be to put its guts in the fat.

2) Bring back BC at the hardware level with the emotion chip. Some of us actually do want this. If it needs to be it's own sku at a different price point, I doubt those that really want it would mind shelling out a bit more.

3) Dear god put a better wifi chip in it..JFC that thing is horrible.

4) Enable HDMI-CEC on the Bloody fat version already. That is the one and only slim feature that annoys me that doesn't work on mine.

Give me those things and when my current ones die I will be happily buying another new one and not looking for a used one I can gut.

I don't think that we'll ever see backward compatibility again, looking back on it when Sony was forced to do their first price drop and removed the BC with another skew they offset the loss by continuation of the PS2 sales. Which for a 10 year old system still aren't too shabby and pretty much pure profit to Sony now.

if they keep adding restrictions eventually its going to affect people that don't know/care about hacking PS3's and thats going to affect sales

We have a Winner.

There was no reason to "crack" the PS3 before this year, because Sony allowed you to install whatever OS you wanted as a FEATURE.

There was no reason to "crack" the PS3 before this year, because Sony allowed you to install whatever OS you wanted as a FEATURE.

Diversion and not relevant. He made the statement that a 7 year old could hack any sony product. I challenged him to back that statement up. If a 7 year old could hack any sony product the PS3 would have been hacked years ago reason or not.

In case you still don't get it, I was calling shens on an obviously exaggerated statement.

I suppose if they where really serious about it, they could make a thin client like device. Introducing the PS4, the worlds first standalone BluRay drive with a WiFi connection!;)

They should just come out with a new console. It will be five years old this year, and historically that's how long consoles tend to last. They need to quit milking their outdated POS, and come up with the PS4. It's time for real HD 1080. Not that ugly 720, or less.

Can't wait till Sony ends up with an egg on their face when the hack proof console is busted wide open. In all fairness, Sony did do a good job with the PS3 as is, it took a while to open it up, but anything can be hacked. "Hack proof" is meaningless to the normal customer as are 300GB of storage. Sony will have to lower the price to make it worth it for customers to buy that new version.

We have a Winner.

That's just it. It DID NOT take 4 years. People have been running Linux and other environments via the alternate OS for a while now. Once Sony decided they didn't want to let people do that anymore, then it started getting serious.

However, hacks like this tend to usually follow the path of least resistance. There were other hacks that allowed roll-backs, etc. Sony kept playing "chase the tail" patching to negate them.

Then the Master Key was found. WHOOPS!

I'm just wondering how they will manage to make the new one "hack proof" without changing the master key. If they change it then how will the system work with older games that were signed by it?

It will be a 300 GB hard drive, put through a metal shredder and packaged inside of a wooden box. I guarantee it to be hackproof, you won't be playing any pirated games on this baby.

you can put in 1GB of code which says 'dont do X'

because in the end, its all 1's and 0's, something can be changed/bypassed/rewritten into allowing X to happen

all these big ideas, and they forget the basics

Back