[H] users 7970 Overclock Results thread

Im running 1300/[email protected] on water. Played Crysis last night for an hour, and max temp was 46*C (single loop with CPU). I'm apprehensive to push further, pretty content with OC. Now if I could find another one that do the same OC, I'll be in business. :)

1300/1700 @ 1.275 volts

Is it easy for you to gave us some benchmarks at these clocks like unigine,metro 2033,AvP,crysis 2 (adrenaline)
Thanks

Aw man thats disappointing, the guys on OCN running 1300 ON AIR so I was hoping WC will give these cards a huge headroom.

I'm sure running at or near 100% fan speed, which is crazy loud. Guess ok for benching only but nothing else.

Is it easy for you to gave us some benchmarks at these clocks like unigine,metro 2033,AvP,crysis 2 (adrenaline)
Thanks
Only bench I have right now.
Score 10306
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2722425

This is not the normal speed my card is at. I keep it at 1000/1450 for daily use since my computer is on 24/7 and I don't want to give extra voltage to the card.

Only bench I have right now.
Score 10306
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2722425

This is not the normal speed my card is at. I keep it at 1000/1450 for daily use since my computer is on 24/7 and I don't want to give extra voltage to the card.

I'll try to run some either tonight or tomorrow. The only one I have on hand is 3DMark11 P10680.
I posted a ss in this thread, post #576
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1567233&page=29

We are waiting.

Thanks

These are what I have so far:

3DMark11
4.6-1300-1790.png

Unigine Heaven
heaven-1300-1790-2900pts674.png

Metro 2033
metro-1300-1790.png

Edit: I've realized, thanks to N4CR, that my memory, though stated at 1790, was not running at that speed.

Last edited:
^^^ Good lordy.. I have a 25.5 widescreen monitor and I still had to scroll right to see the entire screenie. Think you could bring the rez down a hair? :p

Nice scores. The 7970 on water as well?

^^^ Good lordy.. I have a 25.5 widescreen monitor and I still had to scroll right to see the entire screenie. Think you could bring the rez down a hair? :p

Nice scores. The 7970 on water as well?

Sorry for the size.
The card is reference on air with ASIC 73%.
I want to see how far a 1300/1800 card can go compare to these screenshots.

These are what I have so far:

I'm having a problem with Crysis 2 not being full screen, acting funny.
I'm having a problem with AVP also where I'm not getting any score....
Hopefully I'll figure it out.

Perhaps your memory is hitting ECC? Your clock is set at 1790 but reporting 5612 ddr... should be 7160.
Nice temps. If my accelero isn't cool enough I'm going to seriously consider water again.

I'm currently 1206/1500 stock leo/cry2/kombustor stable and working up. Vdroop to 1.07x-1.12X 73.6% asic. Stock bios still.

Seen a few moans on various forums from people running less than 2500k experiencing little improvement in game smoothness with 7970 upgrade. My 2600k was stock last 5 months as I had memory issues and little time to work on oc. Wasn't bad in crysis2, great IQ but still a little less smooth than I'd like. Now with a modest 4.4 OC it's a whole new game, so damn smooth@ultra 1440 now. Older CPU architecture + reasonable resolution seems to be consistently trouble with 7970s.

Perhaps your memory is hitting ECC? Your clock is set at 1790 but reporting 5612 ddr... should be 7160.
Nice temps. If my accelero isn't cool enough I'm going to seriously consider water again.

I'm currently 1206/1500 stock leo/cry2/kombustor stable and working up. Vdroop to 1.07x-1.12X 73.6% asic. Stock bios still.

I saw that number before but it never registered. Anyway to correct it? I'm open to any advice to get better performance or better numbers! I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what other clocks do when I plug them in

Added: thanks for pointing that out! (now I won't be able to fall asleep...) :(

Last edited:
I saw that number before but it never registered. Anyway to correct it? I'm open to any advice to get better performance or better numbers! I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what other clocks do when I plug them in

Added: thanks for pointing that out! (now I won't be able to fall asleep...) :(

I reckon drop to 1500, most 7970s are stable there stock. Then clock up in steps benchmarking each time until slowdown. That's when you can tell ECC kicks in. Try more vmem (usually don't work it seems) or drop it back. I've had same thing with core too, more speed at 1206/1215 etc than 1244 but no artifacting in kombustor at 1244. Stock bios has more vdroop so could be that limitation not helping when approaching the 1300s, or OCP. Doubt it on stock volts though.

Also check there isn't a mem setting in another program (e.g. CCC). I had issues with fan profiles not setting. I had never used OD in CCC but it somehow decided to reset my fan each boot. Hadn't even done eula...

Sliders maxed,

Stock 1.17v

BF3, Kombustor, Heaven

65c under load

Tried to achieve 1200/1600, probably would be my max oc with a voltage bump but I maxed the volts for 1255/1650 and it just crashes, even at incremental clock increases between 1200-1255.

I just keep it at stock for 24/7 until i pick up a 30" monitor.

Gigabyte 7970 reference.

I reckon drop to 1500, most 7970s are stable there stock. Then clock up in steps benchmarking each time until slowdown. That's when you can tell ECC kicks in. Try more vmem (usually don't work it seems) or drop it back. I've had same thing with core too, more speed at 1206/1215 etc than 1244 but no artifacting in kombustor at 1244. Stock bios has more vdroop so could be that limitation not helping when approaching the 1300s, or OCP. Doubt it on stock volts though.

Also check there isn't a mem setting in another program (e.g. CCC). I had issues with fan profiles not setting. I had never used OD in CCC but it somehow decided to reset my fan each boot. Hadn't even done eula...

edit: thanks for your good eye and pointing out my issue N4CR!
It's weird. Today it was running again at 5612.5 like in the ss's up above.

I uninstalled MSI AB beta 11, and then I installed beta 12. I dropped memory back to 1500 like you suggested, and then I bumped up by 25 all the back up to 1800. I ran a quick furmark just make sure that it was reading like it was supposed to, and it always ran and registered like it should :) Running 1300/1800

i'm guessing maybe it was a glitch in MSIAB beta11, since it's not doing it in 12. Ran a 3DMark 11 right quick, scored better than previously (from P10680 to P10722)

On another note, is it just me, or does 3DMark 11 take a long pause to load the final Combined Test. When the final combined test is loading, the loading pauses before finishing for maybe 9-10 seconds.

So far I've got my DCUII Top 7970 at 1200/1650 @ 1.2v and stable with 3dmark11 benching.
Going to keep pushing the memory to see how far I can go.
Just wondering, what kind of VRM temps are people seeing at load with their 7970's?

Thanks.

My 7970 drops VDDC under heavy load to as low as 1.08 (e.g. 25FPS part in Metro benchmark). Clocks 1125 and 1575.

Is this a problem? I'm not really comfortable running the overclock at less than 1.1V but I don't want to push up the voltage as long as it doesn't crash.

Also, how far do you think I can push on stock volts? What's a good target to set here, 1200 and 1650? Which will be more worthwhile, core or memory?

At current settings I get 9100 score in 3DMark11 (P).

Edit: Can someone check out my fan profile and tell me if I'm on the right track? Is there somewhere I can copy established ones?

Last edited:
Has anyone that has flashed to the ASUS BIOS had an issue with the card not dropping frequencies at idle? I can't get mine to default back to 300/150 now.

Has anyone that has flashed to the ASUS BIOS had an issue with the card not dropping frequencies at idle? I can't get mine to default back to 300/150 now.
Yep, PowerPlay is borked on that BIOS, unfortunately.

Yep, PowerPlay is borked on that BIOS, unfortunately.

Ah, so it's not just me being inept? Is this something that may be fixed in an update down the road? I do seem to get less v droop with this BIOS and I'd like to be able to utilize the higher voltage options if I end up getting a waterblock. I guess that for now I'll leave it on teh card but just run the default BIOS until things get straightened out. Thanks for the info.

OC max CCable settings. Also very high settings for the bench. I dont see a point in not using max setting for it.
unigineOCbenchmark.png

GPUZOC.gif

Weird im getting PCI0e x8 at 1.1? My board supports much higher than that and im running single card...WTF. I thought all the PCIe x16 slots on my mother board would run full speed regardless of which slot I choose.
Am I wrong on this?

Ah, so it's not just me being inept? Is this something that may be fixed in an update down the road? I do seem to get less v droop with this BIOS and I'd like to be able to utilize the higher voltage options if I end up getting a waterblock. I guess that for now I'll leave it on teh card but just run the default BIOS until things get straightened out. Thanks for the info.
That's exactly what I'm doing. The extra volts and less droop are very nice, but I'd be wary of running that much voltage for longer periods (gaming) without a idea of where the safety limits are for 28 nm. I'm hoping there's some better info out there sooner than later, but for now that BIOS is only good for benching.

So I've been testing my card's OC and so far, I'm wondering if I have a bad card as it's not stable in furmark no matter what OC I try. Seems to artifact on a low OC even, but I never really trusted furmark for stability. My card seems fine in 3dmark, Heaven and BF3 at the OC's I've been trying, but I'd rather be sure it's stable. Anyone have any suggestions on how to really determine if my card is stable or not?
I've tried 1125/1575 and I'm pretty sure furmark started to artifact within the first minute or so.

So I've been testing my card's OC and so far, I'm wondering if I have a bad card as it's not stable in furmark no matter what OC I try. Seems to artifact on a low OC even, but I never really trusted furmark for stability. My card seems fine in 3dmark, Heaven and BF3 at the OC's I've been trying, but I'd rather be sure it's stable. Anyone have any suggestions on how to really determine if my card is stable or not?
I've tried 1125/1575 and I'm pretty sure furmark started to artifact within the first minute or so.

Apparently the AMD Leo demo is pretty taxing as well, others here have run into artifacting on what they thought was a stable OC.

OC max CCable settings. Also very high settings for the bench. I dont see a point in not using max setting for it.
unigineOCbenchmark.png

GPUZOC.gif

Weird im getting PCI0e x8 at 1.1? My board supports much higher than that and im running single card...WTF. I thought all the PCIe x16 slots on my mother board would run full speed regardless of which slot I choose.
Am I wrong on this?

No you aren't. The first two slots should run x16 in single and multi GPU setup. You can use either the first or second slot for single card setup, it doesn't make a difference on this chipset - I tried, and I use the 2nd one to give the card more breathing space.

You may want to go into BIOS though and force the 2nd and 3rd slot configuration to run in x16/x1 mode instead of x8/x8 mode. On my motherboard (Rampage II Extreme) there's a selector for this in NB options (I think). When using the 2nd slot this could be responsible for your x8 rating.

On these chipsets the 2nd and 3rd slots share bus lanes, so they can't both run x16 at the same time. The second one will do x16 by itself with no performance drop however.

Apparently the AMD Leo demo is pretty taxing as well, others here have run into artifacting on what they thought was a stable OC.

Is the AMD Leo demo simply this.
So if I get artifacts with this at stock settings, I guess the card is borked?

Thanks.

Artifacting how? If it's blue snow and blue lines, I've found my issue wasn't the card at all. The drivers seem to be my problem, because I could uninstall the drivers and get the auto-detected older version to fix it till reboot.
My monitor is a bit older, and it might have something to do with the DVI sync, so I used the mini-DP to DVI connector and it cleared right up.

No blue lines, just lines the same colour as the furmark donut going horizontally.
If I left it long enough, it would seem to lock up or CTD.

No you aren't. The first two slots should run x16 in single and multi GPU setup. You can use either the first or second slot for single card setup, it doesn't make a difference on this chipset - I tried, and I use the 2nd one to give the card more breathing space.

You may want to go into BIOS though and force the 2nd and 3rd slot configuration to run in x16/x1 mode instead of x8/x8 mode. On my motherboard (Rampage II Extreme) there's a selector for this in NB options (I think). When using the 2nd slot this could be responsible for your x8 rating.

On these chipsets the 2nd and 3rd slots share bus lanes, so they can't both run x16 at the same time. The second one will do x16 by itself with no performance drop however.
You sir are a life saver. I will try your suggestions later on tonight. Valentines day got me a bit tied up haha.

I've got two 7970s coming in the mail and I'm wondering if there's a writeup somewhere that walks me through the best way to OC/OV. Previously I've used methods that aren't exactly scientific or reliable, and I've never overvolted to gain better OCs, so I'm thinking my methods may not work all that well. I'm particularly interested in how best to do this for a crossfire setup.

Thanks in advance.

Is the AMD Leo demo simply this.
So if I get artifacts with this at stock settings, I guess the card is borked?

Thanks.

Yes, that should run without artifacts on a stock 7970.

Artifacting how? If it's blue snow and blue lines, I've found my issue wasn't the card at all. The drivers seem to be my problem, because I could uninstall the drivers and get the auto-detected older version to fix it till reboot.
My monitor is a bit older, and it might have something to do with the DVI sync, so I used the mini-DP to DVI connector and it cleared right up.

I had an issue with DVI output, I switched to 2x DP and 1x HDMI and the problem went away. I don't know what it was specifically, but using [DVI] [DP] [DP] monitors resulted in artifacting ONLY on the DVI monitor. Switching it over to HDMI corrected the issue. Oh well, welcome to 2012, no more DVI for me. :D

I've got two 7970s coming in the mail and I'm wondering if there's a writeup somewhere that walks me through the best way to OC/OV. Previously I've used methods that aren't exactly scientific or reliable, and I've never overvolted to gain better OCs, so I'm thinking my methods may not work all that well. I'm particularly interested in how best to do this for a crossfire setup.

Thanks in advance.

I have had the most success with Sapphire TRIXX utility. I did not play with the voltage in TRIXX at all, but in CCC I set the "Power control settings:" slider to +20%
I did set TRIXX to manipulate the core and memory speeds, and a fan profile.
It starts on boot, and applies the settings at boot. No issues with any games, no artifacting. It has gone as much as 90C, but that was an airflow restriction issue. (My 3x 140mm intake filters were all smoked up. love me some apartment living. :rolleyes:) During normal gaming it sits around 75C max.

Yes, that should run without artifacts on a stock 7970.

How long or how many runs through the Leo demo should I run to consider it a safe OC?
I've been testing and so far I see no issues with artifacting upto 1150MHz/1575MHz, but what concerns me are the VRM temps basically reaching nearly 100C so far. They're roughly 33C above the core, which seems like a big delta to me, but I could be wrong.
Fans are ramping up accordingly, so at around 65C they're doing about 60C.

How long or how many runs through the Leo demo should I run to consider it a safe OC?
I've been testing and so far I see no issues with artifacting upto 1150MHz/1575MHz, but what concerns me are the VRM temps basically reaching nearly 100C so far. They're roughly 33C above the core, which seems like a big delta to me, but I could be wrong.
Fans are ramping up accordingly, so at around 65C they're doing about 60C.

I let mine loop a couple times, then I was bored with the demo and wanted to play games. I also used the Unigine Heaven benchmark a lot, making sure I wasn't hitting a ceiling on my overclock. I went with this order:
1000/1400 (stock)
1125/1600
1125/1650
1175/1650
1200/1650
1200/1675
1200/1700

And that's when I was happy with the OC/voltage/temps. It probably could do more, but I don't really need to.

What kind of voltage are you using to push 1200/1700 and what sort of temps do you see on the VRMs at load?

Thanks again!

What kind of voltage are you using to push 1200/1700 and what sort of temps do you see on the VRMs at load?

Thanks again!

I have no idea what the VRMs are hitting at load, but it's running fine so I'm not too concerned.
Voltage is stock with +20% in CCC.
I have noticed GPU-Z reports anywhere from 1.03V to 1.15V depending on what the card needs.

I started to push the card last night to 1.2GHz @ 1.225v on the core, and saw some minor artifacting in BF3, so I'm going to give it a little more juice to see if it artifacts or if that stabilizes the card, but oddly enough, the VRMs didn't get any hotter than they do when I am running a lower OC. Possibly because my fan is running a little higher, but not by much, so I guess nothing to worry about it.

Back