[H] users 7950 Overclock Results

You could go upto 1.3V to test out your temps and clocks.
Also core clocks have a way bigger say on performance compared to the memory clocks, so see what you most stable core clock is first and then try to work out your best memory clock - not a rule as such, I like doing it this way.

Also, imho the Heaven Unigine benchmark is better for stability testing compared to the Valley benchmark - again just a personal observation.

Just got my Msi 7950 twin frozr boost card (getting a second one next week). I only have it running at 1150/1575 at the moment, will try pushing it more sometime later.

At stock, running it with my 3770k at 4.7.
9xXRkay.jpg

Now at 1150/1575.
WnHC9KF.jpg

Gtx 680 ftw at stock (1176 boost), just for comparison.
UZOV4aN.jpg

Quick 3dmark 11 score - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6286660

I'm very impressed with this card, considering its price.

Impressive!

What driver version are you using? 13.3 Beta 3 is the latest, but I'm not quite sure that this is the version that you've.

Impressive!

What driver version are you using? 13.3 Beta 3 is the latest, but I'm not quite sure that this is the version that you've.

13.2 beta 7's, at the moment. I will eventually try the newer ones.

Stupid me, I was overclocking without boosting the power to +20. No wonder I was getting crappy results and the frequencies and voltages fluctuated like crazy.

1050/1450 - 78C in two runs of Unigine Valley. Fans running at 100%. Love the performance, but I'm starting to get a bit uncomfortable with the temps.

Edit:

Lowered the voltage to 1.175 , 1120/1450 - around 75 C. Could be better, but I'm satisfied that Tomb Raider has become playable with all settings maxed out. I get 1700 points in Valley and 1114 in Heaven. Unfortunately I don't think those overclocks are going to be sustainable for the occasionally hot summers in my location.

Last edited:
Stupid me, I was overclocking without boosting the power to +20. No wonder I was getting crappy results and the frequencies and voltages fluctuated like crazy.

1050/1450 - 78C in two runs of Unigine Valley. Fans running at 100%. Love the performance, but I'm starting to get a bit uncomfortable with the temps.

Edit:

Lowered the voltage to 1.175 , 1120/1450 - around 75 C. Could be better, but I'm satisfied that Tomb Raider has become playable with all settings maxed out. I get 1700 points in Valley and 1114 in Heaven. Unfortunately I don't think those overclocks are going to be sustainable for the occasionally hot summers in my location.
Have you thought about replacing the cards tim? Seems a little hot.

New quick 3dmark 11 score at 1195/1650 - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6300467

Fastest score I've gotten. It's a slightly faster score than my 680 ftw at 1241/1828 (http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5897188). Outside of its loud fans, I'm loving this card.

1140 / 1465 @ 1.225 V . In Tomb Raider the core gets pretty hot, 84 C (86 C VRM). Can the card get damaged at those temps? Also, would replacing the thermal paste void the warranty with Sapphire? I have the card for only 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I've noticed that if I push my memory to a certain limit, performance starts decreasing instead of increasing durther. Could this be due tothe fact that GDDR5 is EEC? Also, to hit 1715 (which I do 3dmark runs at) i have to increase mem volts to 1638, which I am afraid of doing, since it might hurt the card. My core is at 1300@1206 mv, although not 100% stable. With fans locked at 90%, my card temps never go far past 60, but VRMs are creeping up into the hi 80's and low 90's. Are thouse temps normal? Also, are idle temps of 37-40 ish degrees normal?

I have an MSI 7950 twin frozr 3 with a sapphire 950mhz OC edition bios flashed onto it.

1100/1500 stock voltage. I ran one pass of Unigine Valley at 1150/1500. I am happy with 1100/1500, haven't tried pushing it to the max since its voltage locked.

I would've sworn the 3L had unlocked voltage. Maybe try running the card on its other bios, and or try using sapphire trixx.

1100/1500 are good 24/7 clocks though.

I have read both that its locked and its not. I really don't need any more speed, anything else would just be to satisfy my curiosity. I modified the CFG file in Afterburner and nope, couldn't move the voltage. I have not tried Trixx, dont think I am doing anything wrong when it comes to the voltage, but you never know.

Lol, just installed Trixx, I can bump the voltage up with that. Sticking with CCC and 1100/1500, but for people that get this card, try Trixx, if you want to raise the voltage.

Last edited:
I bought two MSI HD7950 Boost cards two weeks ago. The came clocked 960/1250. I adjusted power limit to +20 and 1150/1500 respectively. It seems the default voltage is 1.25. I ran Unigine Valley few times without any problem however it will not do 1200/1500.

My card has more than tragic ASIC of 51%.:D

Lol, you're not alone Iching, most of us with Sapphire cards, especially ones from the last 5-6 months have abysmal ASICs.
I'm yet to find someone who bought a Sapphire card recently, reporting an ASIC in the 60s!

Last edited:
QDemon19 said:
Lol, you're not alone Iching, most of us with Sapphire cards, especially ones from the last 5-6 months have abysmal ASICs.
I'm yet to find someone who bought a Sapphire card recently, reporting an ASIC in the 60s!

We should join a club of abysmal ASIC. Are there any negativ e long term implications? My card overclocks just fine and temps stay below 70 degrees with fan set to 55. Twin Frozr is not as quiet as my Asus DirectCu solution.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

From what I've heard it means we have more voltage "leaks" on our GPUs with low ASICs.

We need more voltage, so other than needing higher voltages for overclocks (compared to higher ASIC cards) I don't know of any long term implications. Maybe sending in more current through the chip may have an effect on the life of the chip, but that effect, if any, is going to be very small.

Just an update, it looks like 1135/1700 @ 1.200v is around my limit artifact free. I can't get the core any higher with any additional voltage, I'm pretty sure my power supply is the limiting factor here..

I've got a Corsair VX550W PSU but even at 1.200v the voltage is drooping to 1.121v, pretty terrible. I'm running 3 traditional hard drives and 1 SSD along with a DVD drive and a 2500k @ 4.5GHz, so I guess it's just too much for it.

My 3DMark11 score @ 1135/1700 is P9727 and a graphics score of 10308 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6216541

Gavinni,

I also have the same flavor of sapphire boost dual-x, the -20G card model you linked to amazon. I've been looking to get the best stable OC and here are my results using the clocks you found. I have had some issues with higher clocks like 1200/1575. I've left voltage at Trixx default 1.25v. I've experimented with MSI Afterburner (better interface/graph monitor), Trixx, and Overdrive. Afterburner doesn't let me push memory clocks past 1575. I'm using Trixx now and I have the plus 20% power enabled.

ASIC Quality : 57.1%
Are these results good?

Sapphire 7950 Dual-X (2L) --- Purchased last week from Amazon: 57.8% ASIC

Stable @ 1150 core 1550 memory w/ default V.

Gavinni,

I also have the same flavor of sapphire boost dual-x, the -20G card model you linked to amazon. I've been looking to get the best stable OC and here are my results using the clocks you found. I have had some issues with higher clocks like 1200/1575. I've left voltage at Trixx default 1.25v. I've experimented with MSI Afterburner (better interface/graph monitor), Trixx, and Overdrive. Afterburner doesn't let me push memory clocks past 1575. I'm using Trixx now and I have the plus 20% power enabled.

Are these results good?

What driver version are you using, and did you set your Board Power Limit to 20%. In order to unlock the full potential of your card you need the Board Power limit set at its max.

The Heaven benchmark, was it with all settings at max at 1080p? If so, your scores look okay.
You could potentially push your clocks higher if you're willing to play with the voltages.

We should join a club of abysmal ASIC. Are there any negativ e long term implications? My card overclocks just fine and temps stay below 70 degrees with fan set to 55. Twin Frozr is not as quiet as my Asus DirectCu solution.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I have never really bought into the asic quality thing. Some of the best clocking cards I've ever owned, had mediocre asic's.

My twin frozr 7950 has a 59.9% asic quality. Great card though.

Gavinni,

Are these results good?

Interesting, not sure why your Trixx default voltage is 1250 when mine is 1112 with the same card. My ASIC quality is 77.3%, maybe that has something to do with it.

As for your scores, looks like your GPU score is a little lower than mine, which can probably be attributed to the driver your running.

Interesting, not sure why your Trixx default voltage is 1250 when mine is 1112 with the same card. My ASIC quality is 77.3%, maybe that has something to do with it.

As for your scores, looks like your GPU score is a little lower than mine, which can probably be attributed to the driver your running.

77.3 on a 7950..WOW!
When did you get your card, not the last couple of months from what I can tell.

What driver version are you using, and did you set your Board Power Limit to 20%. In order to unlock the full potential of your card you need the Board Power limit set at its max.

The Heaven benchmark, was it with all settings at max at 1080p? If so, your scores look okay.
You could potentially push your clocks higher if you're willing to play with the voltages.

I'm using Beta 13.3 drivers, moved up to those from 13.1 before completing this OC. Yes, i have power limit at 20%. Heaven benchmark was all max settings @ 1080p. I've tried lowering to under 1112 VDC and I freeze up almost immediately, maybe it does have something to do with ASIC quality. Tell me, Gavinni, did you ever hear coil whine? When I first got the card I heard really bad coil whine, but after 2-3 weeks it went away, and I also moved PC off table on to the floor so I wouldn't notice it as much. Maybe the commonly reported coil whine on these cards are related to lower ASIC quality?

I'm very happy with the current stable OC and don't think I could push it much further, but I'd like to do some further testing for improved voltage/clocks. I'd like 1200 core but I can't seem to keep that stable. I don't know much about VDC though and don't want to go to high on the voltage and risk the card failing sooner from a higher volt continuous OC. Anyways I was really impressed by a noticable performance boost compared to past clocks when playing BF3 the other night. Achieved higher FPS.

That's crazy how high your ASIC reports. With the same clocks I can't get stable under 1225VDC. Just found that I can go 25 VDC lower. I've got stability with 1225 voltage running max HEAVEN benchmark and 3DMark11. I noticed I got -5 score in HEAVEN, as well as slightly lower 3DMark11 score.. but this may be just luck.

Last edited:
77.3 on a 7950..WOW!
When did you get your card, not the last couple of months from what I can tell.

Actually I got it about a month ago from Amazon with some credits that came with a TV purchased in December. They're probably not nearly as popular for video card purchases as Newegg, so maybe it was old inventory.

I'm pretty depressed about my power supply, with Trixx at 1.200v I'm only actually getting about 1.121v under load... I bet I could get a pretty nice overclock if my PSU was able to supply a little more power. Once I get some free time I might set my CPU back to stock and try to overclock my GPU again and see if I can supply a little more voltage.

Also is 77.3% high? I don't know much about ASIC.

EDIT: Also as far as coil whine goes, I did get a little bit when I set my fan at 100% and benchmarked, but I haven't noticed it in any games.

Also is 77.3% high? I don't know much about ASIC.

It's average. But after looking at what other users are getting this year, I'd say it's more above average.

Both of my MSI Twin Frozr 7950 are 88-91% but run pretty hot.

Yes given the recent batch of Sapphire Dual X cards from Newegg, 77% ASIC is indeed very good.
With that ASIC you should get some sweet OCs provided of course you've the power it requires!

My XFX DD is showing 81.8 ASIC (kind of funny the number I run on my dirtbike is 818) Going past 1100 or so core gives me driver crashes after a few minutes and if the memory goes past 1360 my screen turns into a grid of green.. Still performs great in anything I throw at, just disappointed because I bought the card based on what insane OC's people were achieving.

My XFX DD is showing 81.8 ASIC (kind of funny the number I run on my dirtbike is 818) Going past 1100 or so core gives me driver crashes after a few minutes and if the memory goes past 1360 my screen turns into a grid of green.. Still performs great in anything I throw at, just disappointed because I bought the card based on what insane OC's people were achieving.

Maybe a voltage locked card? Just a wild guess.

Reapplied paste and backed off my daily clocks a bit-from 1200/1800 1.231v to 1150/1575 1.119v. There's hardly a difference at all in performance, but I was able to shave off a ton of voltage and heat as a result. Load temps after an hour of Heaven looping are peaking at 68C core, 54/67C VRMs.

3dmark11 P10355: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6327487
3dmark13 fire strike P7500: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/338115

qvI02Bs.png

Y0VUBx9.png

rlccjtn.png

Last edited:
Reapplied paste and backed off my daily clocks a bit-from 1200/1800 1.231v to 1150/1575 1.119v. There's hardly a difference at all in performance, but I was able to shave off a ton of voltage and heat as a result. Load temps after an hour of Heaven looping are peaking at 66C core, 67C VRMs.

3dmark11 P10355: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6327487
3dmark13 fire strike P7500: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/338115

qvI02Bs.png

Y0VUBx9.png

rlccjtn.png

i7-3770k stock settings and MSI HS7950 Boost 1180/1500.

Extreme HD
FPS: 46.8
Score: 1959
Min FPS: 22.7
Max FPS: 90.1

Here is a before and after Overclock. I have the Sapphire 7950 3GB Boost

Before:

bISKCbu.jpg

I was trying to get the same overclock that I have, but I hadn't removed the 20% voltage lock. I was getting really terrible freezes and skips on Furmark. GPU-Z was saying that the clock was going anywhere from 1200MHz down to 500MHz and I was wondering wtf was going on..

After:

6br2tLi.jpg

Then I got my sh** together and set her up properly and woah... wtf.. a 100% increase??! Though now the card is definitely audiable. (Temps under 60C are inaudiable, temps over 70C definitely are and this sits me at 75C at full load with 65% Fan)

So what do you guys think about my results? I know it's Furmark but that's the only thing I have to test it on. Granted that games won't use this much draw from my GPU. It's most about unlocking potential in the event that the card actually NEEDS it.

But yeah, what do you guys think about 1100/1450.
I tried at 1575 for memory. but I got an instant bricked screen the moment that Furmark finished the warmup and got serious :(

I'm wondering if I should try for 1200/1450 but at current it's already getting really hot and really loud...

Suggestions are more than welcome please!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is a before and after Overclock. I have the Sapphire 7950 3GB Boost

Before:

I was trying to get the same overclock that I have, but I hadn't removed the 20% voltage lock. I was getting really terrible freezes and skips on Furmark. GPU-Z was saying that the clock was going anywhere from 1200MHz down to 500MHz and I was wondering wtf was going on..

After:

Then I got my sh** together and set her up properly and woah... wtf.. a 100% increase??! Though now the card is definitely audiable. (Temps under 60C are inaudiable, temps over 70C definitely are and this sits me at 75C at full load with 65% Fan)

So what do you guys think about my results? I know it's Furmark but that's the only thing I have to test it on. Granted that games won't use this much draw from my GPU. It's most about unlocking potential in the event that the card actually NEEDS it.

But yeah, what do you guys think about 1100/1450.
I tried at 1575 for memory. but I got an instant bricked screen the moment that Furmark finished the warmup and got serious :(

I'm wondering if I should try for 1200/1450 but at current it's already getting really hot and really loud...

Suggestions are more than welcome please!

You could try Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley and 3D Mark 13 benchmarks to test out your GPU. They're better than Furmark.
Of course the ultimate test are the games you play.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Really? I thought Furmark was without a doubt the most insane test you can do.

Doesn't Unigine cost money..? I'm not sure I want to pay for just a benchmarking app.

Back