[H] users 7950 Overclock Results

I wonder do Sapphire employ any kind of EVGA-esque step up programme, it would be worth my while come the new cards in October.

I wonder do Sapphire employ any kind of EVGA-esque step up programme, it would be worth my while come the new cards in October.

Nope. Afaik, evga is the only company that does that.

7950's can be had so cheap nowadays, I would rather just pick up a second.

Nope. Afaik, evga is the only company that does that.

7950's can be had so cheap nowadays, I would rather just pick up a second.

That is definitely a second option. I've not ever used a dual GPU setup, though, and despite the apparent massive recent improvements, I am still tentative of such a jump. I also have an Accelero cooler on my current 7950, which would dfeinitely be handy for CF (negating the 10 deg diff in temps easily, at 1200 mhz my current setup never goes above 60 degrees ;)). So the first card could be overclocked to 1200mhz too which would be fantastic performance.

AFAIK, for multiple card setups, the core ad memory speeds all have to be the same? Because I have sucky Elpida RAM on my current card (otherwise it's amazing, 1250 mhz on 1.14 easily, just VRMs get hot at this stage though), I can't really overclock it at all, despite being able to overvolt the memory.

FYI, you can remove the stock heatsink on MSI cards. It doesn't invalidate the warranty. They put it there so that in case there is damage and the sticker was removed then they can blame the customer. So as long as you don't damage anything you will be okay.

I checked all my MSI TF3 7950's and here's what I found:
I have 18x Twin Frozr III 7950's
7950's with the 8+6 pin power connectors (7970pcb) all have the warranty sticker.
7950's with the 6+6 pin power connectors do NOT have the warranty sticker.

The 6+6 cards have serial numbers starting with 602-V276-130B130xxxxx.

They are shipped as the same MSI TF3 7950 Boost edition. The wording on the exterior UPC label is slightly different between the two cards as well; I will post later what the difference is if anybody cares.

Last edited:
I got my MSI 7950 last week: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1775828 . I ordered the R7950-3GD5/OC but the box says R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC. Can't find any difference on the MSI site. It's a 6+6 and has the sticker.

It was my first real attempt at overclocking, ended up at 1100 core and didn't mess w/ memory. Only changed the CCC setting to +20% power.

At that speed, I get no artifacts in Heaven and it'll run for an hour on Kombustor w/o getting over 85C (fans around 75%). Over 10,000 graphics score on 3dmark11. Since I'm not voiding the 3yr warranty - let it run!

I got my MSI 7950 last week: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1775828 . I ordered the R7950-3GD5/OC but the box says R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC. Can't find any difference on the MSI site. It's a 6+6 and has the sticker.

It was my first real attempt at overclocking, ended up at 1100 core and didn't mess w/ memory. Only changed the CCC setting to +20% power.

At that speed, I get no artifacts in Heaven and it'll run for an hour on Kombustor w/o getting over 85C (fans around 75%). Over 10,000 graphics score on 3dmark11. Since I'm not voiding the 3yr warranty - let it run!

Um... that's not a TF3 card. It only has a 1 year warranty according to the newegg page, not 3.

That's weird though, because MSI's warranty page says "In accordance with original manufacturer's products serial number/barcode, graphics card products manufactured from Jan. 01 2010, are warranted for three years."

Just for reference, I picked up a MSI Twin Frozr 7950 3GD5/OC and it was an 8 + 6 pin configuration. I managed to get it to 1100/1525 without any voltage adjustments.

I purchased it last week when it was on Slickdeals with Crysis and the Gold bundle.

Um... that's not a TF3 card. It only has a 1 year warranty according to the newegg page, not 3.

That's weird though, because MSI's warranty page says "In accordance with original manufacturer's products serial number/barcode, graphics card products manufactured from Jan. 01 2010, are warranted for three years."

Its 3 years. Typo on Newegg's part.

Here's the Newegg site for my actual card (different link from the Newegg deal, don't know why they sent me this one, hopefully the rebate I sent in works): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127651

It's got the 3 year.

Did the UPC match? I think you might have issues with the rebate if they don't. I think what MSI was doing was taking old stock (the model number you have) and flashing them with the boost bios and selling it with a different model number (the one you should of got). They might have forgotten to replace the model number stickers on your card and box.

I never really got into overclocking much. I own a 7950 Twin Frozr (6/8 PCI PCI-E connector and the PCB is a dark brown), so I'm guessing this is on a reference HD7970 board?

I don't plan to mess with voltage. I check the ASIC in GPU-Z and it says the quality is 87.1%

I purchased the card back in July of 2012 (the card is just over a year old), However I mostly been using it at stock settings since I bought it. I've been reading a lot of information in this thread about the MSI Twin Frozr HD7950 3GD5/OC being friendly to overclock.

I don't do any Bitcoining or Mining. It's mostly used as a gaming card on a single monitor setup connected to an HDTV via HDMI. No Crossfire either, this is a single GPU / single screen system.

Max res for the screen is 1920x1080 (My actual PC monitor is junk at 1440x900 max res, so I've been using my HDTV instead with better results)

Reading this article http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/34761-amd-hd-7950-vs-hd-7970-clocks/ I see that the HD7950 has relative success being OC at the stock of a 7970. On an air cooled system, do you think I can safely OC this to be slightly higher then an HD7970? Like 1050 or 1100 Core Clock.

I don't want to mess with voltages, basically I want to do something very mild since it's an air cooled system. Does anyone have a recommendation on what they would consider to be a "safe" overclock?

I never really got into overclocking much. I own a 7950 Twin Frozr (6/8 PCI PCI-E connector and the PCB is a dark brown), so I'm guessing this is on a reference HD7970 board?

I don't plan to mess with voltage. I check the ASIC in GPU-Z and it says the quality is 87.1%

I purchased the card back in July of 2012 (the card is just over a year old), However I mostly been using it at stock settings since I bought it. I've been reading a lot of information in this thread about the MSI Twin Frozr HD7950 3GD5/OC being friendly to overclock.

I don't do any Bitcoining or Mining. It's mostly used as a gaming card on a single monitor setup connected to an HDTV via HDMI. No Crossfire either, this is a single GPU / single screen system.

Max res for the screen is 1920x1080 (My actual PC monitor is junk at 1440x900 max res, so I've been using my HDTV instead with better results)

Reading this article http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/34761-amd-hd-7950-vs-hd-7970-clocks/ I see that the HD7950 has relative success being OC at the stock of a 7970. On an air cooled system, do you think I can safely OC this to be slightly higher then an HD7970? Like 1050 or 1100 Core Clock.

I don't want to mess with voltages, basically I want to do something very mild since it's an air cooled system. Does anyone have a recommendation on what they would consider to be a "safe" overclock?
The core clock: simply up it until you startt crashing in a stress test. You should get almost 1100 at stock volts. For the memory overclock, do the same. If you start crashing almost immediately (like, stock is 1250, crashing at 1350) then you have Elpida RAM and you basically have no OC headroom. Hynix RAM should hit 1600mhz most of the time.

Back to your core clock speed, just keep upping it unitl it crashes in a stress test. If you can't go any higher, then up the voltage a bit. This will aid stability but will add more heat. Don't apply more than 1.25v and you'll be fine. :)

I finally got around to seeing exactly what my MSI TF3 7950 (7970PCB) would do..I haven't found my max o/c yet, but this is a BEAST of a card! My ASIC is 91.6%!..

I simply set the voltage to just under 1.25V as a starting point, and figured once I was stable there I would try to work it down. I have tested this o/c for over an hour in Furmark, with my 3770K loaded @ 100% as well to generate max heat..

GPU useage stayed pegged @ 99% the entire time, so no throttling (via Afterburner)..

My hottest CPU core was 78C, while the GPU core was 54C, with VRMs 1/2 @ 55C and 62C.

3DMARK 11 Results: 11804

OC Settings: 1300mhz Core/1650 Memory, 1.237V, +20% PowerLimit.

7950_OC_results_2_cropped_zpsd13a1d3f.png

What do you guys think? I am not a benchmarking whore, but I thought scoring 99.9% of what a stock Titan can do in 3DMARK is pretty cool!:cool:

What do you guys think? I am not a benchmarking whore, but I thought scoring 99.9% of what a stock Titan can do in 3DMARK is pretty cool!:cool:

Great. Golden.

When did you get it? Have you water cooled it yet?

Great card. I have a Sapphire 950mhz Edition that is similar.

MSI TF3 seems to be one of the most consistant cards that I have seen capable of high over clocks like yours.

Great. Golden.

MSI TF3 seems to be one of the most consistant cards that I have seen capable of high over clocks like yours.

How is this even possible lol. VRMs below 60 degrees? That's insane. I have a 90 plus % ASIC 950mhz edition (Elpida memory though :( literally no OC headroom, 1350mhz and crash at 1.7v :(). 1300 mhz on an air cooled 7950. That's unheard of? * Just read sig :p

How is this even possible lol. VRMs below 60 degrees? That's insane. I have a 90 plus % ASIC 950mhz edition (Elpida memory though :( literally no OC headroom, 1350mhz and crash at 1.7v :(). 1300 mhz on an air cooled 7950. That's unheard of? * Just read sig :p

Yeah, that card is not air cooled, it's water cooled. Feeding 1.237v to an air cooler high asic card will make your vrms go Fukushima. I take my 89% ASIC card up to 1.238 when I bench it at 1325mhz on a Arctic Accelero and my temps vary from 60-65c and my vrms will climb to 100c in Valley. That's with some modifications done to the vrm cooling. But still great temps for water cooling and a very nice card at that. I have owned a handful of high asic 7950 TF3's and they all ran hot, even at 1000Mhz (in the 70's) I just picked another 89% asic card to crossfire with, hoping for a high clocking card. From what I can gather MSI 7950 TF3 card purchased from 5/12-12/12 were usually high asic cards 85%+ All of the high asic cards I have seen with good cooling have no issues getting to 1250Mhz or more. I know there not supposed to be any correlation between OC and Asic, but it's hard to ignore it on these cards. My current card has Hynix memory and will do 1910Mhz with 1.7v. I can't bench the card at 1325/1910 though, it gets too hot, so it's one or the other.

If anyone is interested to see how Crysis 3 scales with the 7950 here are some benches I did.

1080P - VHQ- Textures - HQ - system spec - 2XSMAA - 4.8Ghz 3570K + 16GB Sammy 32nm

7950coreandmem_zps0d04ad15.png

Memory clocks also scale very well in this game.

7950mem_zpsc3ee207b.png

Yeah, that card is not air cooled, it's water cooled. Feeding 1.237v to an air cooler high asic card will make your vrms go Fukushima. I take my 89% ASIC card up to 1.238 when I bench it at 1325mhz on a Arctic Accelero and my temps vary from 60-65c and my vrms will climb to 100c in Valley. That's with some modifications done to the vrm cooling. But still great temps for water cooling and a very nice card at that. I have owned a handful of high asic 7950 TF3's and they all ran hot, even at 1000Mhz (in the 70's) I just picked another 89% asic card to crossfire with, hoping for a high clocking card. From what I can gather MSI 7950 TF3 card purchased from 5/12-12/12 were usually high asic cards 85%+ All of the high asic cards I have seen with good cooling have no issues getting to 1250Mhz or more. I know there not supposed to be any correlation between OC and Asic, but it's hard to ignore it on these cards. My current card has Hynix memory and will do 1910Mhz with 1.7v. I can't bench the card at 1325/1910 though, it gets too hot, so it's one or the other.

Makes more sense :D I have a high ASIC card too, the 7950 950mhz edition just like Sonda. 90.1%. Stock voltage of 1.012v. Can go 1210mhz at 1.12v. VRMs stay 85 or below in Crysis 3. Cooled by an Accelero Xtreme 7970, core stays below 62. I didn't use the Accelero heatsinks because the dedicated sinks that came with the card were decent enough TBH. I grabbed some high quality thermal pads from frozencpu, but haven't bothered to use them. Not worth the effort unless going water IMO. Such a pity I have Elpida memory, though :( I must be one of the only 950mhz ed owners with it.

Makes more sense :D I have a high ASIC card too, the 7950 950mhz edition just like Sonda. 90.1%. Stock voltage of 1.012v. Can go 1210mhz at 1.12v. VRMs stay 85 or below in Crysis 3. Cooled by an Accelero Xtreme 7970, core stays below 62. I didn't use the Accelero heatsinks because the dedicated sinks that came with the card were decent enough TBH. I grabbed some high quality thermal pads from frozencpu, but haven't bothered to use them. Not worth the effort unless going water IMO. Such a pity I have Elpida memory, though :( I must be one of the only 950mhz ed owners with it.

Sounds like a very nice card. I have been very happy with the accelero, but keeping vrms temps in check on these cards are a pain in the butt. I would like to go full custom water, but it's not in my budget now. I wish corsair or someone would make a full cover block in a closed loop water system for these cards. I would be all over it.

A stock titan, scores higher than that on 3dmark11. Even my 780 at stock, scores p14039 in graphics.

You got a very good card nonetheless. Tahiti screams under water.

Just playing with my card. High ASIC cards rock when undervolted. Benching stock settings (950/1250) at 918mv! Down from 1012. Benching in Valley for 10 mins. Max core temp 50 degrees. Max VRM 48 degrees. Stock VRM cooling, Arctic accelero heatsink. Benching for 10 mins.

uXnTLKM.jpg

Very nice! You have an accelero too obviously. My VRMs are a tad cooler. Maybe better sinks? Your core is appreciably cooler. though. I wonder why? Good case cooling? Ambients? My ambients are normal enough at ~20 degrees. Did you manually apply thermal paste? The Accelero came with a crap ton of mx4 pre-applied (I'm assuming it was mx4, I read somewhere that it was) and I just assumed there would be no need to change it. How long did you bench for? I benched for 10 mins before taking to 50 deg reading. When I fire it up it stays at 45 and below for a min or so.

The right 7950 is simply a godly card :p

Wait, you don't have an Accelero. Seems like your cooler is better (at least at these lower temps). I'd be interested in comparing them at higher voltages/clocks. My fan only goes to 2000RPM :p So quiet :p

Last edited:
Very nice! You have an accelero too obviously. My VRMs are a tad cooler. Maybe better sinks? Your core is appreciably cooler. though. I wonder why? Good case cooling? Ambients? My ambients are normal enough at ~20 degrees. Did you manually apply thermal paste? The Accelero came with a crap ton of mx4 pre-applied (I'm assuming it was mx4, I read somewhere that it was) and I just assumed there would be no need to change it.

The right 7950 is simply a godly card :p

Yeah your vrm cooling is much better than mine. The stock vrm cooling is a disaster on these MSI cards. I had to apply fujipoly pads and install the vrm heatsinks from the accelero kit on top of of the plate with thermal tape. See the pics below. I recently changed the thermal paste wish some fresh mx-4. The temps will climb after weeks of use, thinking about putting on some CLU. My house is around 74 F. I do have an accelero.

IMAG0753_zps3853fdea.jpg

IMAG0758_zps3b457ebc.jpg

DSC05492_zps8862c822.jpg

We probably have similar underclock/voltage cards (high ASICs). I wonder how your core performs with your cooler under heavier load (higher volts/clock speeds).

Great. Golden.

I thought it was heheh..Glad everyone else thinks so! Of course it is WC man! Did you forget who you are talking to?!? You and me are the ones there with the de-lidding/watercooling/CL-LP/LU fetish here!:D

I got the card from a fellow memember here BababooeyHTJ..He had three of them in X-fire..I was going to get 2 of them, but the last one sold literally right before I was able to get it:(..I have to give out a shameless plug for him here. He is a GREAT, I repeat, GREAT trader! The Koolance 7970 blocks have an issue using the stock MSI GPU retention block, and they will short the card out unless they are protected. He coated them in what we believe to be a bad batch of liquid tape that melted off..

The guy that bought the first one tested his first and the tape melted off and created a HUGE mess...BababooeyHTJ contacted me right away, and informed me of the issue and offered a full return+shipping paid, or I could have $75 back and he would send me a new bracket wrapped in rubber splice tape..$255 shipped for a MSI TF3 with a Koolance GPU block?...Needless to say I was more then happy to keep the card!:D

I have actually had the card since March, but have never gotten around to do any benchmarking on it. I pulled it out a few days ago and did the core with CL-LP..For anyone that is considering doing the same, I HIGHLY suggest coating the transistors around the GPU die with clear nail polish (if you are cheap like me) or use some di-electric coating if you like to spend money (like SonDa5):p

What is interesting is that on BIOS 1, the card has a stock clock of 880Mhz, and doesn't boost..GPU-Z also shows MSI as the card maker..On BIOS 2, which you can see I am using, the card has a default clock of 950mhz, yet shows the maker as Sapphire/PC Partner? I guess that is normal?

Face2Face, what is the black stuff covering your GPU die? Is that a thermal pad of some type?

A stock titan, scores higher than that on 3dmark11. Even my 780 at stock, scores p14039 in graphics.

Noted. I was basing my infomation from 3DMARK itself..If you look at the graph in my picture, it shows the system right above mine as a 4770K with a TITAN..That 780 you have sure is nice, but I'll take the $255 I paid (with block) anyday lol..I am going to have to pick up another one in October since I am going to move back to a traditional desktop setup with a 27" 1440P..

I wish corsair or someone would make a full cover block in a closed loop water system for these cards. I would be all over it.

If you can get ahold of one of the Dwood made brackets, you can use any AIO cooler on your card..There were two models, one that cooled just the GPU die, and one that cooled the GPU die and had a spot to mount an 80/92mm fan over the VRMs..As far as I know, he stopped making them a while back..I might try to get my hands on one, or at least a CAD mock up of one..My uncle is a master machinist with 45 years in and still going..We could get some more made since a lot of people would like to have them.

Face2Face, what is the black stuff covering your GPU die? Is that a thermal pad of some type?

It's a super alloy that is not known to many video card enthusiasts. It's called.....wait for it..... just a shadow caused by using flash on my smartphone....

.I might try to get my hands on one, or at least a CAD mock up of one..My uncle is a master machinist with 45 years in and still going..We could get some more made since a lot of people would like to have them.

Please make me two with the fan mounts :) How much do you want for them??

I got the card from a fellow memember here BababooeyHTJ...

What is interesting is that on BIOS 1, the card has a stock clock of 880Mhz, and doesn't boost..GPU-Z also shows MSI as the card maker..On BIOS 2, which you can see I am using, the card has a default clock of 950mhz, yet shows the maker as Sapphire/PC Partner? I guess that is normal?

Nice.

Sounds like you are running my SAPPER BIOS that I got emailed to me from Sapphire for my 950mhz Edition. It worked really good for my card and I shared it at overclock.net

Very cool.

Best wishes with the card. Too bad about that block. I almost ordered one as well.

Nice.

Sounds like you are running my SAPPER BIOS that I got emailed to me from Sapphire for my 950mhz Edition. It worked really good for my card and I shared it at overclock.net

Very cool.

Best wishes with the card. Too bad about that block. I almost ordered one as well.

Any chance of a link or w/e for me? I'd like to try it with my own card (950mhz ed too).

Sound, I'll try it out. Currently tinkering with undervolting and stable at stock setting 912mv, want to see how low I can go :p

Here's my first post, wanted to show off my surprising overclock :) I am currently running at 1150 core/1575 memory with stock voltages. And this is coming from an XFX brand card. I'm surprised at how stable it has been, especially with all the negativity surrounding the XFX brand. With some fan speed settings, the highest temperature I've gotten is 70 degrees C, which I've only seen from playing TombRaider for a lengthy amount of time. Any other game tops out at 65 C. Maybe I got lucky? I haven't had a single crash or artifacting issue yet.

Here's my first post, wanted to show off my surprising overclock :) I am currently running at 1150 core/1575 memory with stock voltages. And this is coming from an XFX brand card. I'm surprised at how stable it has been, especially with all the negativity surrounding the XFX brand. With some fan speed settings, the highest temperature I've gotten is 70 degrees C, which I've only seen from playing TombRaider for a lengthy amount of time. Any other game tops out at 65 C. Maybe I got lucky? I haven't had a single crash or artifacting issue yet.

Looks good ;)

You must have a nicely overclocked 780 for your "stock". Mine only scored just over 14,000 graphics at 1176/6600. A stock 780 scores in the 12,000s. Got rid of it. Don't need the horsepower for 1080p and needed some cash for the new house lol.

You must have a nicely overclocked 780 for your "stock". Mine only scored just over 14,000 graphics at 1176/6600. A stock 780 scores in the 12,000s. Got rid of it. Don't need the horsepower for 1080p and needed some cash for the new house lol.

Nope, not in 3dmark11. With a mid oc of 1163/7108, it scored 15090 in graphics. I was able to get it up to 1254/7208, using the afterburner voltage tweak (1.27v).

That saying, I don't own the card anymore since I bought a cheap 7950 the other day. Will probably wait for maxwell at this point.

Back