[H] users 7950 Overclock Results

Have you tried performance-pcs? They should have some.

Used to shop there till they screwed me over with a bad XSPC block they sold me.

To bad performancePCS is the only water cooling shop with a good selection of HD7950 blocks. They really suck. Be warned.

Email or call Frozen CPU about what you are looking for. They are a much better shop and way better for customer support if you have any issues.

Wow, that sucks. I have never ran into any issues with them, but you're not the first to complain about their customer support. Frozencpu is awesome though.

I haven't had any issues with Performance PCs. I like Frozen CPU as well. Both shops for me have been good.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Performance PC's support, what I do have a problem with is last time I made a $60 order I ended up with $60 in customs fees (I'm in Canada). I don't know what they do differently with their shipping, but I've never had to pay more than $10 in fees before. I suppose I will wait for FrozenCPU to get some stock.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Performance PC's support, what I do have a problem with is last time I made a $60 order I ended up with $60 in customs fees (I'm in Canada). I don't know what they do differently with their shipping, but I've never had to pay more than $10 in fees before. I suppose I will wait for FrozenCPU to get some stock.

That blows.... maybe because they are from Florida and don't know the work arounds like the guys in NY do.. :)

Just be patient. Performance PCS sucks hard.

I have a Sapphire Vapor X at 1150/1700 at stock volts. It wont do 1200. Trixx allows me to go up to 1.3v. Im afraid to go any higher. I'm happy with my results :)

Specs: i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz
16gb ram
160gb Intel SSD

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a Sapphire 7950 950mhz OC card (the one with the 7970 pcb). In Far Cry 3, with a 1235mhz core and 1660mhz mem at 1.163v, the first few minutes of playing the game, the gpu usage is fine, fluctuatung around 96 to 99. But then after a few more minutes, the game usage would sporadically change from 99 down to 80 sometimes and my game would stutter. My temps are perfectly fine, 55 degrees on core and 90 at most on vrms. Can anybody help me with this problem? On stock, it fluctuates less and my psu is powerful, 850watt seasonic.

Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a Sapphire 7950 950mhz OC card (the one with the 7970 pcb). In Far Cry 3, with a 1235mhz core and 1660mhz mem at 1.163v, the first few minutes of playing the game, the gpu usage is fine, fluctuatung around 96 to 99. But then after a few more minutes, the game usage would sporadically change from 99 down to 80 sometimes and my game would stutter. My temps are perfectly fine, 55 degrees on core and 90 at most on vrms. Can anybody help me with this problem? On stock, it fluctuates less and my psu is powerful, 850watt seasonic.

Are you running +20% Power? If so it sounds almost like you are being CPU limited, what are you running?

Are you running +20% Power? If so it sounds almost like you are being CPU limited, what are you running?
Yes I'm running msi afterburner at 20% power limit. I'm also running a core i7 2700k at 4.2 ghz so I'm not sure whats wrong. Does voltage affect gpu usage? Do i have to maybe increase the voltage to feed more power into the core so the gpu can be utilized?

Yes, voltage affects gpu usage. I've read of another [h] user who had gpu usage drops and it ended up being his psu. make sure your psu is good and can deliver steady voltage.

Yes, voltage affects gpu usage. I've read of another [h] user who had gpu usage drops and it ended up being his psu. make sure your psu is good and can deliver steady voltage.

i meant the VDDC voltage, the core voltage of the card since my psu is a 850watt seasonic unit. i'm wondering if increasing the core voltage would get rid of the gpu usage fluctuates i have in far cry 3

i meant the VDDC voltage, the core voltage of the card since my psu is a 850watt seasonic unit. i'm wondering if increasing the core voltage would get rid of the gpu usage fluctuates i have in far cry 3

It's worth a shot, your GPU temps are good (VRM's are a bit high though). Long as those VRM temps are in check try cranking the voltage up, you are safe till 1.3v so you have a long ways to go, put the fan at 100% and give it a test.

It's worth a shot, your GPU temps are good (VRM's are a bit high though). Long as those VRM temps are in check try cranking the voltage up, you are safe till 1.3v so you have a long ways to go, put the fan at 100% and give it a test.
Wow this is what I found out so far. When I increased the core voltage it didn't really make a difference, it just made VRM1 hotter. Anyway, the real odd thing is that when I decrease the MSAA to off, my gpu usage would go down to 80 and fluctuate from there having smooth fast gameplay. But when I put it on 8x aa, no matter what I do, it is pinned to a healthy 98 percent. Maybe you can give me some insight here, but I'm assuming at no AA, the gpu isnt being used fully just because my gpu has excess OC processing power when rendering FC3. But how is that possible? It's fricken FC3 for goodness sake! FC3 supposedly brings gpus to their kness right?

Wow this is what I found out so far. When I increased the core voltage it didn't really make a difference, it just made VRM1 hotter. Anyway, the real odd thing is that when I decrease the MSAA to off, my gpu usage would go down to 80 and fluctuate from there having smooth fast gameplay. But when I put it on 8x aa, no matter what I do, it is pinned to a healthy 98 percent. Maybe you can give me some insight here, but I'm assuming at no AA, the gpu isnt being used fully just because my gpu has excess OC processing power when rendering FC3. But how is that possible? It's fricken FC3 for goodness sake! FC3 supposedly brings gpus to their kness right?

Hmm, yeah that doesn't sound right at all, the only case that would ring true is if you had a FPS limiter / Vsync, otherwise it would still use 99% of the GPU to get the highest framerates possiable. perhaps a driver issue is the cause? Is it only Farcry doing this?

Hmm, yeah that doesn't sound right at all, the only case that would ring true is if you had a FPS limiter / Vsync, otherwise it would still use 99% of the GPU to get the highest framerates possiable. perhaps a driver issue is the cause? Is it only Farcry doing this?

mostly yah, except heaven benchmark kinda does it too, but that only ever drops down to 91 percent at worst at the same areas. Decreasing the memory overclock lessens the fluctuating in FC3 a bit. Would it be because my overclock is too high or something? I am really doubtful of that being the cause though, I have never heard of a case like mine happening to a gpu heavily overclocked especially since my temperatures are fine. Btw I'm using OSD in Afterburner to get all these usage numbers

Last edited:
mostly yah, except heaven benchmark kinda does it too, but that only ever drops down to 91 percent at worst at the same areas. Decreasing the memory overclock lessens the fluctuating in FC3 a bit. Would it be because my overclock is too high or something? I am really doubtful of that being the cause though, I have never heard of a case like mine happening to a gpu heavily overclocked especially since my temperatures are fine. Btw I'm using OSD in Afterburner to get all these usage numbers

In GPUz when you run the graphic test, what are your PCI express lane speeds running at? Perhaps something is going on there and its not giving your card enough bandwidth.

Another thing to check, are your clockrates fluctuating at all when the GPU usage goes down? Your card doesn't have the boost BIOS but I found that bumping my powertune past 20% to 50% resolved some weird issues with my 7950. I wrote up about it earlier this year.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1756303

Even if they aren't fluctuating its worth it to give it a try, worse case is nothing will change. If this doesn't work I am really out of ideas.

so sorry I haven't replied in a while, busy with a few things.
No my clockrates are pinned at 1235 mhz and so are my memory clocks. I'll try your 50 percent power limit mod and see if it will change anything.
UPDATE: I don't have the number 14 at the 4th line, I have it at the 11th line in the registry, can you help?

Last edited:
so sorry I haven't replied in a while, busy with a few things.
No my clockrates are pinned at 1235 mhz and so are my memory clocks. I'll try your 50 percent power limit mod and see if it will change anything.
UPDATE: I don't have the number 14 at the 4th line, I have it at the 11th line in the registry, can you help?

Hmm, give it a change and try, worse case go into safe mode and change it back.

Just picked up an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 for my 7950. Heatsinks shown are the different types tha come with the cooler (I only showed one of each type). I cant hit 1200Mhz on my stock DualX cooling before the VRMs and core get hotter with the higher voltages, let's hope this helps :)
Good luck! Most important part about the Accelero install, patience. Be sure to double check to make sure the heatsinks are not making contact with the board or any other things around them.

By the way, I meant to say "I CAN hit 1200mhz" on the core. But it's hot and loud. I want to get even higher...and be cooler :)

Hmm, give it a change and try, worse case go into safe mode and change it back.

Ok tried it, didn't notice any difference. But here's what I noticed across all games:
When the fps goes below 60 fps in any game (aka, a very graphically intensive spot in the game) the usage is pinned at 99 percent and no less. When it goes above 60 fps, even in intense games like far cry 3, metro last light, and hitman absolution, the usage fluctuates in a range from 91 to 99 percent (it doesn't alternate between EXACTLY at 91 and 99, but within the percentages between).
If its not too much trouble striker, can you test this out with afterburner's OSD or gpuz? You've been a great help so far and I appreciate it but I really wanna know if this happens only with my card.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/4gmr.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/818/4dzq.jpg/

Just picked up an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 for my 7950. Heatsinks shown are the different types tha come with the cooler (I only showed one of each type). I cant hit 1200Mhz on my stock DualX cooling before the VRMs and core get hotter with the higher voltages, let's hope this helps :)

Thats exactly the dilemma I had with the Dual X cooler. The only thing that was stopping me from having a higher overclock was the VRM temps and I have to tell you, the accelero xtreme does not improve the VRM temps a lot for the Sapphire 7950 OC.

Thats exactly the dilemma I had with the Dual X cooler. The only thing that was stopping me from having a higher overclock was the VRM temps and I have to tell you, the accelero xtreme does not improve the VRM temps a lot for the Sapphire 7950 OC.

I have seen that some places. But I have read in others that thermal padding can help a lot with that. I bought some from Frozencp and will see how it performs. I think the glu from the Accelero will be a bit better, though.

Yes, it seemed to help a bit installing it between the VRM passive heatsinks and the rest of the cooler? Hopefully it helps a bit, because if it truly makes a tangible difference, I am happy out, I;d be able to go even higher than 1250 core.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=...pAXFYULNbHuLwzE6B9SZ5Wg&bvm=bv.48705608,d.ZGU

I have also tried the fujipoly extreme pads with my stock sapphire VRM heatsinks with the accelero cooler. I found there is little to no difference in VRM temperatures

I have also tried the fujipoly extreme pads with my stock sapphire VRM heatsinks with the accelero cooler. I found there is little to no difference in VRM temperatures

That's unfortunate. I wonder, if there is a gap between the aluminium fins and the VRM heatsinks, "joining" them with the thermal pad might help draw the heat from from the VRM
---> heatsink ---> thermal pad ---> fins. Or am I misunderstanding something? According to that link I posted, big gains can be had.

That's unfortunate. I wonder, if there is a gap between the aluminium fins and the VRM heatsinks, "joining" them with the thermal pad might help draw the heat from from the VRM
---> heatsink ---> thermal pad ---> fins. Or am I misunderstanding something? According to that link I posted, big gains can be had.

Wait, don't you mean VRMs===>thermal pads===>heatsink?

I was skeptical of that too when I was done installing it but I checked again and there doesn't seem to be any gaps. Although on the extreme sides of the heatsink(the side that faces you when the card is installed in a case), the tape could wiggle but thats understandable since at the very ends of the heatsinks, there are no vrms under there. One way to really make contact is to place another layer but that would make it WAY to thick I assume. The pad thickness I used is 1.5mm

And another thing, have you noticed that when playing in high fps situtations like above 70 fps, VRM 1 gets abnormally hot? like above 90 degrees Celcius?

Last edited:
VRM 1 gets hotter than 2, yes. It doesn't reach 90, though. It would probably reach 90 after 30 mins playing at 1200mhz core 1.112v (stock cooling). At what voltages/clock speed/cooling do you hit 90 deg on VRM 1.

As I say all that, my stats are general ones, I can't stay for sure if they apply specifically in high FPS situations, I should check that out.

Installed the Arctic cooler. Stock heatsinks for memory and VRMS looked good. I thought I had lost a single aluminium heatsink, and was going to wait for Arctic to send me it so I could install them all (it turns out I hadn't lost it, but anyways). I installed the Accelero HSF on my GPU, leaving the stock memory, VRM etc heatsinks on.

I was very surprised. After an initial bump (wasn't mounted tightly at all, getting to 97 deg in sc2 haha), I was benching Heaven 1225core at 63 deg max after 20 mins (heaven maxed with Tesselation, AA, everything). The VRMs were good too. VRM 1 didn't go over 84 degrees, and stayed between 80 an 84 at max. This was with stock heatsinks too (albeit with perhaps marginally better airflow via 3 fans instead of two). Under stock cooling at that voltage/core clock speed I was hitting 90 and very slowly climbing. 84MAX is much more acceptable (I did optimise case cooling since then too though). I think what mainly helped was the fact that my core was cooler (by 15 + degrees- was maxing at 75-78 easily with an annoyingly loud cooler) which meant the card operated a tad more efficiently, which meant less juice running through the VRMs - and ultimately, cooler VRMs.

I hope to improve these VRM temps with the g1 glue + Arctic heatsinks and high quality thermal padding.

I could feasibly hit 1250, even 1300mhz on air depending on how my voltages scale.

As for noise? My case is super quiet right now. My PSU is the loudest at idle (and that is quiet) - Super-Flower Amazon 650 watt. The Accelero's fans are inaudible to 70% completely. Only mildly loud at 100%, indeed, basically as loud as my last system setup at idle!

Super happy with the buy, will be even happier if I can squeeze out a few more MHz with the thermal pads and Arctic heatsinks.

Side note, high ASIC cards (like mine at 90.6%), with their low voltages, seem to run a lot more efficiently than other cards. My card's stock speed is 950mhz core at 1012mv. Overclocked to 1200mhz core at 1112mv, my card wasn't throttling at +0% Power Limit in Heaven Benchmark.

Ok tried it, didn't notice any difference. But here's what I noticed across all games:
When the fps goes below 60 fps in any game (aka, a very graphically intensive spot in the game) the usage is pinned at 99 percent and no less. When it goes above 60 fps, even in intense games like far cry 3, metro last light, and hitman absolution, the usage fluctuates in a range from 91 to 99 percent (it doesn't alternate between EXACTLY at 91 and 99, but within the percentages between).
If its not too much trouble striker, can you test this out with afterburner's OSD or gpuz? You've been a great help so far and I appreciate it but I really wanna know if this happens only with my card.

Hmm, I haven't had these issues, then again when I do play like Far cry 3 and Crysis 3 I never get anywhere close to 60 fps (I play at 1440p with as high as settings as I can get FPS dependent). Generally I play around 30-40 FPS with almost max settings (one of the reasons I upgraded to a 780GTX). But when I go over such as in CS GO around 300 FPS, I never had it go below 99. I would check for any kind of VSYNC going on, thats the only way I could reproduce this. It has to be either that or CPU bottlekneck, I know you are at 4.2 GHz already but see if you can bump that up just for a test (make sure your temps aren't going to throttle your CPU too).

Installed the Arctic cooler. Stock heatsinks for memory and VRMS looked good. I thought I had lost a single aluminium heatsink, and was going to wait for Arctic to send me it so I could install them all (it turns out I hadn't lost it, but anyways). I installed the Accelero HSF on my GPU, leaving the stock memory, VRM etc heatsinks on.

I was very surprised. After an initial bump (wasn't mounted tightly at all, getting to 97 deg in sc2 haha), I was benching Heaven 1225core at 63 deg max after 20 mins (heaven maxed with Tesselation, AA, everything). The VRMs were good too. VRM 1 didn't go over 84 degrees, and stayed between 80 an 84 at max. This was with stock heatsinks too (albeit with perhaps marginally better airflow via 3 fans instead of two). Under stock cooling at that voltage/core clock speed I was hitting 90 and very slowly climbing. 84MAX is much more acceptable (I did optimise case cooling since then too though). I think what mainly helped was the fact that my core was cooler (by 15 + degrees- was maxing at 75-78 easily with an annoyingly loud cooler) which meant the card operated a tad more efficiently, which meant less juice running through the VRMs - and ultimately, cooler VRMs.

I hope to improve these VRM temps with the g1 glue + Arctic heatsinks and high quality thermal padding.

I could feasibly hit 1250, even 1300mhz on air depending on how my voltages scale.

As for noise? My case is super quiet right now. My PSU is the loudest at idle (and that is quiet) - Super-Flower Amazon 650 watt. The Accelero's fans are inaudible to 70% completely. Only mildly loud at 100%, indeed, basically as loud as my last system setup at idle!

Super happy with the buy, will be even happier if I can squeeze out a few more MHz with the thermal pads and Arctic heatsinks.

Side note, high ASIC cards (like mine at 90.6%), with their low voltages, seem to run a lot more efficiently than other cards. My card's stock speed is 950mhz core at 1012mv. Overclocked to 1200mhz core at 1112mv, my card wasn't throttling at +0% Power Limit in Heaven Benchmark.

So good to see results like this, you sir, have a golden card, and on top of that to put an Accelero on it!!! Match made in heaven, my 7950 could do 1200mhz at 1.3v (64% ASIC), Looking forward to seeing what you can do with those thermal pads and heatsinks 1300MHz or bust!!! On a side note I would recommend you force it to 100% fan speed always, it will actually cool down the VRM's more from my findings.

Last edited:
I have a fan curve which jumps to 100% at 60+ core (VRMs get hot when the card is being stressed enough to have that core temp). I could have gone the custom loop route (with my 4770k) or just a loop for just the card, but it would have cost A LOT more. The Accelero cost me 42 euro, I'm happy with that. I would be guaranteed 1300 plus on water I feel. But anything over 1200 as quiet as this is simply excellent. I have huge voltage headroom (up until 1.3v), and consequently, huge, clock speed headroom, but at the cost of heat. Hopefully the thermal pads will help on that front.

My stock cooling couldn't cool anything hotter than 1.112v at 1200mhz (core at ~ 77 degrees, fan obnoxiously loud at 100%).

VRM 1 gets hotter than 2, yes. It doesn't reach 90, though. It would probably reach 90 after 30 mins playing at 1200mhz core 1.112v (stock cooling). At what voltages/clock speed/cooling do you hit 90 deg on VRM 1.

As I say all that, my stats are general ones, I can't stay for sure if they apply specifically in high FPS situations, I should check that out.

I run the card at 1235 core at 1.162v. For most games, VRM 1 doesn't break 88 degrees at those speeds, but games like bioshock infinite, an easy to handle game, reaches 90 fps and above, VRM 1 gets really hot, above 90. However,for far cry 3, where I put everything on ultra and aa on 2x, I don't get nearly as high as 90 degrees since it stays at around 60 fps.

I'm glad you liked the cooler btw! It is a good cooler and VERY quiet indeed. I have to tell you though, the arctic heatsinks IMO is worse than the beefy cooler Sapphire provided my card for the VRM 1. Don't bother replacing the VRM 1 heatsink with the Arctic cooling ones if you have the Sapphire OC 950mhz edition card. I'll test heaven out for an hour or so at 1250mhz core with 1.175v and report what my VRM 1 temps are.

I will do the same later :). Noted with regard to VRM cooling. I will play around with it to did the best option. Remember to max out heaven (Tesselation, etc). Can you do a bench at 1200 1.112 as well? I hope the thermal pads help then :) I got them this morning but they are delivered to my home address, I won't be there until the weekend.

Hmm, I haven't had these issues, then again when I do play like Far cry 3 and Crysis 3 I never get anywhere close to 60 fps (I play at 1440p with as high as settings as I can get FPS dependent). Generally I play around 30-40 FPS with almost max settings (one of the reasons I upgraded to a 780GTX). But when I go over such as in CS GO around 300 FPS, I never had it go below 99. I would check for any kind of VSYNC going on, thats the only way I could reproduce this. It has to be either that or CPU bottlekneck, I know you are at 4.2 GHz already but see if you can bump that up just for a test (make sure your temps aren't going to throttle your CPU too).

Have fun with your gtx 780, that card screams! Thanks for all you help though striker.

I will do the same later :). Noted with regard to VRM cooling. I will play around with it to did the best option. Remember to max out heaven (Tesselation, etc). Can you do a bench at 1200 1.112 as well? I hope the thermal pads help then :) I got them this morning but they are delivered to my home address, I won't be there until the weekend.

I run my memory at 1700mhz but usually 1650mhz. Sure thing, i'll try 1200mhz and yes, I maxed out everything in the benchmark. I don't think I can run 1200mhz at 1.112v though, I have a slightly lower ASIC value (87.4%) than yours. I can run it at 1.131v no problem though.

Last edited:
I run my memory at 1700mhz but usually 1650mhz. Sure thing, i'll try 1200mhz and yes, I maxed out everything in the benchmark. I don't think I can run 1200mhz at 1.112v though, I have a slightly lower ASIC value (87.4%) than yours. I can run it at 1.131v no problem though.

Ah, cool. My memory doesn't overclock as well :( Although I haven't tried with the new cooler. You didn't tweak the memory voltage did you? Not that it affects performance much anyway, what with the card having so much bandwidth in the first place.

LOL ok I was wrong. Maybe the thermal tape really does help a lot. At 1200mhz core, 1650mhz memory, at 1.131v, VRM 1 only goes up to 75 degrees, VRM 2 goes up to 66 degrees, and my core only goes up to 52 degrees. Thats really impressive now that I think about it. And no, to your previous question, I didn't touch the memory voltage at all. What made you think you can't overclock your memory as much? Artifacts? Stuttering? Most 7900 series cards have very high overclockable memory chips.

Oh and btw, if its not too much trouble, can you fire up gpuz and take a screenshot of the gpu usage graph while running heaven benchmark?

Last edited:
Back