[H]ord Spotlight - Untitledone

jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM February 2016
Sorry guys/gals, I'm running a bit late this month. Work has been a bit hectic, and earthquakes, and tornadoes, and hurricanes and flooding.

But enough about me.

Give a big round of applause for a member who is a big help around here......

Untitledone!

First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?

I live in a small town near the middle of california called coarsegold. Its about 20 miles south of yosemite national park. I am at approximately 2500 feet elevation. Its a nice little town and pretty much everything here is great. The only real issue I have with the area is that I only have one ISP to choose from at my location and the internet is average at 6mbps/512kbps. It can get fairly hot here in the summer (got to 107*F this year that I have seen), and gets fairly cold in the winter ( 15*F-40*F is common).

What is your family situation?

I am single and live at home with my mother and brother. Things are pretty good and I do not really have any problems

What do you do for a living?

I am mostly a full time college student. I do odd jobs here and there to get cash for stuff. I used to paint houses and do general handyman stuff with my dad a few years ago. Recently I have been sporadically employed with a solar installation and maintenance company.

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

When I started playing world of warcraft in 2006 I needed a new name since johnnyboyone was boring lol. So I was doing something that I cant remember with paint and noticed it liked to save the files as untitled1. There you go, I changed the 1 to one, and it took on a little RPG'esque feel to it and I was quite satisfied with myself.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

No I have not, when I actually get a digital camera I may do that. :D

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

I have way too many interests to list, but some of them include: cars, computers, engineering, and science to name a few.

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

Currently I am running a single dedicated linux folder. It is an old phenom x4 9600 Black Edition with 4GB of DDR2 1066 on a Gigabyte 790GX motherboard. It's good for around 5K PPD average. I have a new dedicated folder in the works and will be selling the phenom machine to my sister. The new folder will be on a ASUS Z8NA-D6C with dual 2.8Ghz quad cores. I also am building a new gaming computer that will be a part time folder. It will have a xeon x5560 2.8Ghz quad core, and a GTX 470 video card. Overall I should see a big boost in my PPD in the comming fall in the order of 10x-15x.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

I have known about folding since I first started reading
[H]ardocp in 2005, but never got involved. I tried in 2006 when F@H was included in the ATI drivers for my X1900GT. However it was hard to convince a 16 year old with one computer to sacrifice gaming for folding. I really did not get into folding until this year. On April 21, 2011 I started my Phenom desktop folding on linux SMP, and it has been pretty much running 24/7 since then minus occasional tweaks/upgrades/sheduled power outages.

Why do you participate?

I think that we are doing a great service to humanity by giving our time, effort and resouces to find cures for the diseases that plague humanity. There are so many people that I know or have met that have something that F@H is actively pursuing cures for. Friends and family members have also been effected by things that we are fighting for the cure to.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

There are far too many diseases that need to be erradicated, and I cannot pick a single one that needs to be cured more than cancer.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

I have only participated in folding at home. However the other DC projects to intrigue me and in the future when I have more resources and equipment I would also like to contribute to them as well.

What teams have you contributed to?

Only the [H]orde baby! Team 33 for life!

Why did you choose the Horde?

I have been a reader of [H]ardocp since 2005, but did not make a forum account until February of 2011. I think the 2600K system give away was a real motivator in me starting folding. I became an active part of the distributed computing sub forum before I sarted and asked questions and mingled with the folders here. They gave good information and also shared tips to help me get more performance out of my folding machine so I could meet the requirements for the giveaway with some room to spare.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

Not sure about that but I am sure that I will follow the rest of the team. Especially my [H]orde IRC buddies. :)

Current level of production and how's it spread around?

A single SMP phenom 9600 Black Edition running linux at 2467Mhz. Currently around 5K PPD but with a lot more on the way.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

I am pretty sure it will be relatively the same for years to come.

Long term?

See above

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

We are doing pretty good. I say we keep ramping and keep helping each other out. We can attract more members with our great team spirit and helpfulness.

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?

No offense but this question seems a bit redundant with previous questions asking similar questions.

What are you running today?

See response above.

Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?

Ramping up! I have many plans to increase my power envelope and cooling envelope. They are in the planning and design stages but funds permitting I will have some interesting designs impemented in the next year or so. I plan to have some solar rankine cycle combined heat electric and thermal generation, and a fairly adequate geothermal cooling loop. These two developments will allow me to have an immense thermal and electical envelope which will allow me to throw much more hardware into production and allow me to get the best output per dollar since efficiency will not be stressed. Think up to 30KW of cooling and 30-60KW of peak generating capacity :D Which would allow me to put up to 15KW 24/7 or more of folding power into production. :D My main hurdles will be energy storage but I already have ideas to solve that for the night when the sun is not shining.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

The Phenom is dedicated. The new dedicated folder will most likely be running bigadv or bigbeta, and the new gaming computer will be part time SMP and possibly GPU when it gets cold here.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

Ubuntu 11.04 SMP

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

Not yet, but my grandfather offered to house a folding box in his workshop that is a seperate structure from my grandma's house. I may take his offer when I get more hardware. Since the internet is slow up here (especially upload but I can upgrade to 1mbps upload for $5 more a month so I may do that when the big WU start rolling out) it would be beneficial for me to borg my grandpa's internet upload since they dont use it all that much.

I would love to pick your brain about solar power, especially power storage! Having a shed full of batteries has kept me at bay (so far). Please do a build thread if / when you put this into effect!

Ramping up! I have many plans to increase my power envelope and cooling envelope. They are in the planning and design stages but funds permitting I will have some interesting designs impemented in the next year or so. I plan to have some solar rankine cycle combined heat electric and thermal generation, and a fairly adequate geothermal cooling loop. These two developments will allow me to have an immense thermal and electical envelope which will allow me to throw much more hardware into production and allow me to get the best output per dollar since efficiency will not be stressed. Think up to 30KW of cooling and 30-60KW of peak generating capacity Which would allow me to put up to 15KW 24/7 or more of folding power into production. My main hurdles will be energy storage but I already have ideas to solve that for the night when the sun is not shining.

w00t

good to know you Untitled1.bmp :)

Thanks jebo! I am a picture.

I would love to pick your brain about solar power, especially power storage! Having a shed full of batteries has kept me at bay (so far). Please do a build thread if / when you put this into effect!

Go right ahead and ask what you want. I am not an expert but I do know quite a bit. I am toying with the idea of compressed air storage since my project will involve a lot of mechanical engineering and I will recieve less losses using a direct drive off of the steam power rather than converting to electricity and then back to mechanical power to compress the air. Other ideas I have been toying with are forms of gravitational storage like a large free standing weight or water and also inertial storage in the form of a flywheel. I am trying to emphasize cost effectiveness. Battieries work but they are expensive and the cheapest ones take a fair amount of maintenance.

I'm not sure if continuing this convo is on or off topic, and I can't find the Alternative Energy sub-forum so I'm gonna risk it. I've been casually reading about solar power for two years now and have never heard a single alternative to batteries as power storage. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter (seriously). If you have some websites you'd recommend, I'd love to check them out. I'm sure as folders we'd all agree that an alternative to paying the electric company could definitely come in handy.

Go right ahead and ask what you want. I am not an expert but I do know quite a bit. I am toying with the idea of compressed air storage since my project will involve a lot of mechanical engineering and I will recieve less losses using a direct drive off of the steam power rather than converting to electricity and then back to mechanical power to compress the air. Other ideas I have been toying with are forms of gravitational storage like a large free standing weight or water and also inertial storage in the form of a flywheel. I am trying to emphasize cost effectiveness. Battieries work but they are expensive and the cheapest ones take a fair amount of maintenance.

I'm not sure if continuing this convo is on or off topic, and I can't find the Alternative Energy sub-forum so I'm gonna risk it. I've been casually reading about solar power for two years now and have never heard a single alternative to batteries as power storage. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter (seriously). If you have some websites you'd recommend, I'd love to check them out. I'm sure as folders we'd all agree that an alternative to paying the electric company could definitely come in handy.

It is not offtopic, it is relevant to folding, and since I did bring it up in my spotlight you are more than welcome to ask as many questions as you want. The distributed computing sub forums tolerates a small amount of off topic chatter. I do not have a news letter. Most of my info has been gathered doing research around the net. Its really just a matter of thinking about different ways of solving a problem. Take for instance using compressed air (its been used for plenty of things, even powering mining locomotives), many people use it for tools in shops. It has draw backs and I dont have hard data yet on how much energy can be stored. I am looking into compressed air storage for its low cost, reliability, and relatively simple design. With gravitational storage you have to have a large elevation between the storage and retrieval device or a very large mass. With compressed air you just need a large tank and high pressure. This can be relatively compact compared to gravitational storage. Not to mention that an empty steel tank is cheap compared to a water tower. Flywheel storage is another compact energy storage technique but it can get complicated making an efficient flywheel.

Flywheel energy storage requires some very high tech (expensive) bearings. It also has to be pretty big turning pretty fast which means you have to be careful as it can kill you very easily. In the right application they are pretty nice but bearing maintenance is always a pain and containment is a challenge. (Containment in case they explode)

Don't forget about hydraulic you can buy or build accumulator's to store energy. You could even use a air tank which you pump water in to.

As we are discussing this transferring energy to the PC normally would imply going to 120 (or 220) volt AC and then back down to 12V etc. You might use one of these options
http://store.mp3car.com/Power_Products_s/2.htm
to get a much higher efficiency.

As far as energy storage why wouldn't you target a VERY high temperature and heat up a big insulated tank of stuff which you then use around the clock. Store heat directly in a big insulated tank (used water heaters?)

I thought of designs for flywheel storage. If I did go that route I would most likely use magnetic bearings (think magnetic levitation) and pull a vacuum on the containment vessel (since wind resistance will be a factor in losses because it exponetially varies with the square of the velocity of the flywheel). I will most likely use compressed air since this seems to be the simplest and cheapest way to go about it. I can use the steam to directly drive a compressor to fill the tank, and then I can use the compressed air to run the steam engine at night. I would like hydro methods as well but there are many drawbacks on the small scale.

On the idea of thermal storage, I did think about this. Large scale solar thermal plants use this to store energy through the night. They use molten sodium (think 1500*C molten salt) in storage tanks to create steam during the night. This is the most dangerous storage method that I have come across I believe. I dont think I will spend much time with this method.

I took a look at the power supplies you linked. They are very low output and appear to be low quality. Those are designed for cars. 12 volt is not very efficient and I would be running low gage long runs which would also eat into the efficiency.

Remember, I will be using a steam engine, so the power output will come from a motor or alternator or generator of some kind. I can manipulate the voltage however I wish. I could possibly make relatively clean 120V or 240V 60HZ AC power. An 80+ gold PC power supply is in the neighborhood of 92% efficient at 50% capacity on 240V AC, which is very good (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS).

I am not too worried about efficiency, but more concerned with actually being able to harness and use the power as well as store it. A 16' satellite dish converted to a parabolic solar collector has a surface area of approximately 11 square meters. In my area, the approximate solar energy per square meter is 5500 watts (peak) (I KNOW RIGHT!!?). Thats approximately 60.5KW (peak) for a 16 foot dish... Even at 30% total efficiency (which I am sure I can surpass easily with little effort) thats 18,150 watts! For 24/7 use I like to use 1/3 peak capacity as a guideline which would still be 6000watts 24/7! (assuming consecutive sunny days). I get around 300 sunny days a year where I live, and some of the not so sunny days still have the potential for partial output.

I would agree they are generally low output as they are built for an environment where tight spaces are a given if you were running batteries then DC to DC makes sense but you are heading down a different rabbit hole.

That is pretty damn cool. It should be interesting to see how your rig ends up. You have the right conditions for solar collection 300 days of sun with the added altitude.

Nice and good luck.

I have considered the giant weight method before, expensive to set up initially but elegant thereafter.

I think you have it nailed with a small steam plant, I want to do that and fire it with homemade pellets in the winter when the waste heat is useful and the PV array is not.

Have you ever seen the solar concentrator steam setup down in Lancaster CA? pretty nifty.

Back