• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

[H]ord Spotlight - Firedfly

jfb9301

[H]ard DCOTM x4
2FA
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
1,751
For this months [H]ordespotlight, let me introduce......

Firedfly

Give a big round of applause for another dedicated folder.


First off, tell us about you.
Where do you call home?


Atlanta, GA

What is your family situation?

Single

What do you do for a living?

Software developer -- C#/Sql Server

Does your forum name hold any significant meaning?

Not really. Just a name I came up with many years ago.

Did you ever post in the "Let's see your mug... " thread? Why or why not?

Nope, I've never seen that thread. Where's it at?

What other hobbies or interests keep you busy?

Besides my recent addiction to fah, I enjoy bowling. I currently bowl in two leagues and head to several tournaments in the spring. I'm not half bad :)

Tell us about your involvement in DC.

I've only contributed to fah. I've contributed in short bursts two or three times in the past several years.

Who or what got you stated in DC projects? About when was it?

I don't remember who got me started. I originally started at the end of 2006. It seems every time I upgrade computers I become more interested in DC. Most recently, I began contributing again when I realized my 2600k was sitting idle most of the day. It seemed like such a waste!

Why do you participate?

It seems like a good cause. The thought that my computers are helping researchers get a better understanding of diseases. Even if fah never directly cures diseases, the research done will help other researchers discover cures.

If DC'ing could find a cure for just one disease tomorrow, which one would it be and why?

Multiple sclerosis (MS). My aunt passed away from this disease a few years ago.

What projects have you contributed to? Any others you find interesting?

Just fah. I haven't looked much into other projects.

What teams have you contributed to?

I originally contributed to two separate teams for my college. Then I formed a team with some friends. When I picked up fah again a few months ago, I made the jump to the [H]orde. I'm not sure it was the best idea as it has led to some impulse purchases of hardware ;)

Why did you choose the Horde?

The team I had formed with friends was dead when I started folding again. Rather than be a one man team, I decided to jump to another team. I had used [H]ardOCP reviews frequently when making purchasing decisions on my recent computer upgrade and decided to give the [H]orde a shot. I'm glad I made the change. There are a lot of dedicated and knowlegeable folders on the team.

If your current project ends, which one will you move on to?

I don't see fah ending anytime soon. If/when it does, I'd have to look into other projects. I'd likely contribute to another project at that time, but not on the scale I'm contributing to fah.

Current level of production and how's it spread around?


Let me look up the stats...484k ppd and 9th on the team for ppd. All going to fah.

Where do you see the [H]ard DC sub-forum in the near future?

The same as it is today.

Long term?

Hopefully with continued giveaways. That seems to bring in new folders.

Any ideas on improving the [H]ard DC sub-forum, or suggestions or improvements for our Team?

I think the giveaways are a great idea. I want to thank all the donors and Kendrak for organizing everything. Other than that, I think the forums are very good the way they are. There are many knowledgeable people around to answer questions. It's always fun to see a thread on someone's new build.

Tell us about your involvement.
Where did you begin?


This seems to be answered in the questions above. Started with fah and that is all I've contributed to.

What are you running today?

My farm is currently undergoing changes. I've recently swapped cpus with some teammates to optimize for better ppd.

Currently, I have the following running:
4x6174 (g34 dodeca) - with recent tweaks, i'm getting ~510k ppd on a P6904
2xL5639 (I think those are the chips). They are at stock speeds right now getting ~100k ppd.

Later today, I will begin building an sr-2 with E5645's. I did some impulse purchasing earlier in the week. So, both sets of hexes will be in sr-2's soon. I will also be adding 2 pairs of quads.

Now that I've added up the expected power draw on thse systems, I'm not looking forward to the power bill...


Where do you see your DC'ing activities in the next year or two?


I'm not sure that far out. Definitely contributing to fah in some way. I currently have one 4p g34. In the spring, I plan on consolidating the rest of my systems into a second 4p g34. Looking out two years, I'd expect to be running one or two dedicated systems.

Do these boxen have day jobs or are they dedicated folders?

Currently all of my systems are dedicated folders.

How are these boxen configured? OS, client, etc?

I was running a modified PXE (network boot) image from linuxforge. I recently discovered I have some configuration issues with the PXE boot causing reduced ppd. I recently abandoned the PXE boot for a debian install. Performance is much better (the 4p jumped from 430k ppd to 510k ppd!).

The current systems are running the latest version of the v6 client (6.34?). All running -bigadv and are capable of recieving P6903/4 units.

Have you been successful borging? If so, what kind of borging worked for you? (For example, friends, family, and/or work?)

A few years ago, I successfully had a few friends contributing. The only recent borging I have done was on my work PC for a few weeks. I do expect in the future to be able to borg a burn-in on new servers. We will see if that ever happens, though :)
 
Back
Top