[H]ardfolding for a CPU Contest: Entry details inside!

Viper87227 said:
I have seen alot of cancer in my days.

Same here man. My mom had thyroid cancer, but luckily they discovereded it to be able to cure it quickly; they did however have to remove her thyroid to get rid of it. I am quite pleased to be able to participate in F@H.

Who knows, maybe I can get my uncle into it. He plans on making tons of machines to run seti@home;maybe he will switch to F@H if I can convince him that it does more good than seti.

FLECOM said:
so ok, do you allocate an amount and then let the winner allocate what kind of cpu they want?

i am going to try to get that P4 but it may be a bit more difficult than originally planned...

Yes....whoever wins will get to choose ANY cpu under $200. And don't sweat that P4 man. If you can get it great, but dont loose sleep over it.

a) when is the deadline for 1500 WUs?
b) how long does it take for a decent PC to create 1 WU? (see sig.)

Hooligan said:

The lowest deadline is 5,000, not 1,500. The PC in your sig, folding 24/7, should be able to get atleast 100 points a day. That means you can hit 5,000 in just under two months. FOLD ON!!!!!

haha 2 months of 24/7 work

fuck that.

sorry :(

i have a PIII 550mhz w/ 256mb of ram, but i dont have a power cable for it.heh. so yeah, good luck to everyone else that can afford to run PCs 24/7

Hooligan said:

the deadline is (I believe) March 1st, 2005... so that gives you roughly 10 weeks or so to gain 5000 points or 150,000 points... each work unit will vary in the amount of time it takes to fold, so I can't give you a "6 hours 38 min and 22 sec" kind of answer... the proc. in your sig will do quite well, and I'd say on average (where's Tigerbiten when you need him???) that you'd probably bring in maybe 75 points a day... (correct me if I'm wrong guys... I'm basing this off a guess of my 2000+ and adding some)... So if you're a new folder, and that's your only PC, you need to get it cranking soon... There's 28 days in Feb. 31 in Jan... and 21 left in Dec... that's 80 days to get 5000 points...

As for the 150,000 points, it'll take awhile... I've been folding for roughly 15 months now, and I'm not there yet.... I have 5 PCs (one with HT, so 6 "processors") folding... and I've got a little ways to go yet... I'm about 128,000 points this morning... averaging about 400 points a day... I haven't even registered for the contest yet because I haven't reached 150k points yet... It'll take me another 50+ days to get there.... (of course, I JUST added my 5th PC... so that'll come down a bit.....)....

Keep on Folding!!

PS... running your PC 24/7 doesn't really take all that much power... think of it as a light bulb... And in the winter, it'll help you with your heating bills :D

Even if you can't make 5000 points by March 1st... we plan on having other contests/giveaways.... why not get a head start on them now? :D :D

OSUguy98 said:
PS... running your PC 24/7 doesn't really take all that much power... think of it as a light bulb... And in the winter, it'll help you with your heating bills :D

Running my PC 24/7 is not the issue.... its on 24/7 anyways.

The issue is that I do use it... A LOT :D so during my extensive gaming hours, it'd be off... limiting folding to just when im asleep / out of the apartment.

and well, that means that it would be actually folding about 8 hours a day... which is 1/3 of 24/7... so that means it'd take 2-3 times as long to reach the 5000 pt limit... which translates to 4-6 months... way beyond the contest deadline.

:/

Folding is designed to be as silent as possible... your mouse and keyboard have more priority than it does... Just let it run... even when you game... you shouldn't notice any difference... I have it on my PC here at work, and I'm doing Microstation drawings all day long, 2D and 3D, and it doesn't slow it down at all... you'd be surprized how little your processor is being used when you're just on the PC, checking the forums,etc..

Give it a try, see if you notice a difference... can't hurt to try... and if your PC is on 24/7, what else could be better than possibly saving a life or two while you sleep?

Keep on Folding!!

Looks like a good contest. I just sent my entry off for contest 1 :). I'll donate something to the cause after the holidays are over, I'm trying to keep as much money as possible around right now until I find out my long term status of my job.

guys,trust me when i say, folding doesnt affect gaming. I did a before / after 3dm03 run and lost 30 points.That isnt even enoug to cover a margin of error.

and like osuguy said, assuming i can get enough in donations, there will be more contests. No details yet, I will announce them when thhe time comes...

does my norton firewall slow this down?

and.. i'm kinda new to this so.... all u have to do is let it run.. right?

Gk22CoE said:
does my norton firewall slow this down?

and.. i'm kinda new to this so.... all u have to do is let it run.. right?

No...and yes. Just make sure you put in a usermane and your folding for team 33.

I want to comment on F@H doesnt effect gaming. It typically doesn't effect gaming, however, I have ran into a problem with it on one game before... The game was choppy because of having it running, I turned it off and it was all better. However, that was only one game though. I think the problem was that the program needed all the resources, and F@H was still taking to many, it was probley running at its minimum though. No other problem though. I am approaching the 5,000 mark fast. Im earning aprox. 300+ points a day.

Sc0rched said:
I want to comment on F@H doesnt effect gaming. It typically doesn't effect gaming, however, I have ran into a problem with it on one game before... The game was choppy because of having it running, I turned it off and it was all better. However, that was only one game though. I think the problem was that the program needed all the resources, and F@H was still taking to many, it was probley running at its minimum though. No other problem though. I am approaching the 5,000 mark fast. Im earning aprox. 300+ points a day.

It also seems to run iffy with steam, and Rome: TW keeps minimizng while it runs. Some games just don't cooperate with it, but you can also pause it for an hour.

stats so far:

CPU#1 - 12 entries
CPU#2 - 39 entries
Donations - $175 - 5 people

Big thanks to those who have donated so far, expecially those going above and (for some, way) beyond the asked $10. For being about four days in, this is a pretty nice turnout thus far.

FOLD ON!!!!!!

I have 25,000 points so I think I'll have to settle for the 5,000 club :(. Oh well. Maybe if I wait I could possibly get 125,000 points but I doubt it. I only have about 6 ghz for folding right now. We'll see how it goes.

Porphyria said:
I have 25,000 points so I think I'll have to settle for the 5,000 club :(. Oh well. Maybe if I wait I could possibly get 125,000 points but I doubt it. I only have about 6 ghz for folding right now. We'll see how it goes.

Can't hurt to try. Seems to be a good incentive to keep on folding. Load it up on more machines if you can.

If by some chance you do get enough for 3 giveaways, please make the third one somewhere in the middle, rather that doubling up on the existing ones. Something like 60,000 or so :D :rolleyes:

If you don't get it, look at my stats page.

unhappy_mage said:
If by some chance you do get enough for 3 giveaways, please make the third one somewhere in the middle, rather that doubling up on the existing ones. Something like 60,000 or so :D :rolleyes:

If you don't get it, look at my stats page.

Still concidering my options on this one. On one hand, going like 50,000 to 100,000 or something like that would be most fair to the middle men, but in the other hand that wont do much to bring in new folders, which is ultimatly what the point of this whole thing is. I am going to take my time, see how things play out, and go from there. I can say one thing for certain tho, you won't know before March 1st, simeply becuase if I don't anounce it, i am at liberty to change my mind if I see fit.

i'd prefer having 2+ at the 5000 or more mark, and just 1 or 2 (a small minority of total prizes) at higher marks, just to get it open more and draw more people in. i think it'd draw more people because their chances are better at that point. hopefully even the non-winners in this contest who join for the prize will stick around afterwards, too.

Stupid question, but whats team #33? Also, I'm a newcomer, and see myself folding for ever for now on, I mean, why not right? I woulda done it before, but I've never heard of it. I figure since I was lucky enough to be born without cancer I should at least do my best to help those less fortunate then myself.

i like the 60,000 pointer cpu idea too ;)

u_Bodega

The favorite is definatly the mid-range point level, but I am still not sure on it just because that won't bring in any new folders. On the other hand, I don't want people signing up, folding, and then leaving. That wouldn't be fair. If there is a 3rd CPU, I will put some serious though into it, and consult with OSUguy, who I have discussed all my disicions with. You will find out soon enough.

Let's build this up! Viper's putting forth quite an effort to bring in more folders, but unless the donations keep rolling in, there won't be much to give away, and thus not as much incentive for new folders. I just added $20 to the pot and ask that others that are able to, please donate to the effort.

I haven't been folding long and don't have enough to meet the 5,000 point entry mark yet, but if I had known about folding earlier, I would have been folding sooner. Let's help Viper build some energy around this effort by building up the pot!

(Not usually a rah-rah kind of poster, but I really believe in the power of folding)

Hey all! I think I have used Pay pal only once, and so I am not sure how to donate.
Viper has an e-mail address listed as to where to donate; I just don’t understand what to do with it.
Help, please!
help_sign.gif

Log-in to your PayPal account. Click on the "Send Money" tab. This brings up a form that asks for the recipient's e-mail address, the amount, etc.

RugenNixie said:
Log-in to your PayPal account. Click on the "Send Money" tab. This brings up a form that asks for the recipient's e-mail address, the amount, etc.

Do you have to have funds in your papal account, or can you use a debit card?

Mayhem33 said:
Do you have to have funds in your papal account, or can you use a debit card?

No, you can withdraw money directly from a debit card / bank account. Thanks for the donations guys. At $195 now. $5 to secure the first CPU!!!!

FOLD ON!!!!!

Ahhh, nice to see the forums back. I hope the time away was a chance for everyone to get some serious numbers in. Hopefully I will start to see more entries and donations coming in, things have been dead the past week. I am not at home (work at 5AM, it sucks) but I know I am somewhere around 50 entries for CPU#2 and 10 entrise for CPU#1. I am at $195 in donations, thanks to everyone who sent money my way. Hopefully I will be able to start dumping more money into the account also. I just spent $200 yestuday on xmas, and I am finally done.

If you havnt started folding yet, get on it, you only have a bit over three months to hit 5k. Thats gunna take a good amount of time if you don't have the best of computers, but stick to it and I might be able to chagne that xÞ.

Also, FLECOM, have you heard anything about that P4?

Hi Guys, I lost my Hardforum account a year ago so this may look like my first post but it isn't. I tried seti@home a few years back but at the time it took up too many resources on my pc. Now I have a new pc and I am starting to fold for this contest. I have a 400mhz laptop folding, a 2.2ghz Athlon xp, 1.4 ghz t-bird and a 1.6 ghz PIV all folding and I have already reached 1500 points in a little over 2 weeks. The only computer that is running 24/7 is the XP and the laptop but the other two are only on sporatically (they are at my gf house). I am looking forward to entering the contest and I plan on continuing to fold after I have entered. I am also building a HTPC that will fold in the background sometime in the new year!

P.S. I live in Canada so if I win or somebody from Canada wins can we order the CPU from tigerdirect.ca instead of newegg.com? The duties at the border cost too much to ship from newegg.com and tigerdirect.ca has no duty fees. Thanks.

Welcome to the [H]orde and Good luck with the contest

the tigerdirect.ca thing would be up to Viper, But it sounds like it'd be a good idea (this coming from a land-locked, no border for 600 miles, West Virginian lol...) Would there be a charge for a US citizen basically ordering a CPU to be sent to a Canadian? I know nothing of duties/etc....

Sounds like you've got a quite a farm for a starter... I hope to see you catch the bug and see you climb the ranks... (Someone's gotta push me out of the top 100 on the team... I don't really belong there with my 5 PCs folding)....

Keep on Folding!!

I don't think there would be an issue if the item was ordered by an american and shipped to Canada. The other option would be for me to order it and send the paypal bill to his paypal account. Another option would be for me to get my friend in the states to order from newegg and have him ship it up to Canada as a "gift" so no duty.

Also, could we order 2 cpus instead of one if the total cost was below $200 USD? (ie 2x Athlon M XPs from newegg)

Varroa said:
I don't think there would be an issue if the item was ordered by an american and shipped to Canada. The other option would be for me to order it and send the paypal bill to his paypal account. Another option would be for me to get my friend in the states to order from newegg and have him ship it up to Canada as a "gift" so no duty.

Also, could we order 2 cpus instead of one if the total cost was below $200 USD? (ie 2x Athlon M XPs from newegg)

Yes. The $200 is essentially yours, but its only for CPUs. I dont care if you want to buy 50x 500mhz cpus and start a farm of beaters, as long as the money goes to more CPU power for the [H]orde. As far as the cananda thing, sure I will ship there. I am not going to have the CPUs shipping directly to the winner, because I dont necessary want the person getting an invoice with all my info, but I have no problem getting the CPU and shipping it to canada. Infact, if its an incentive to get more folders, let it be known that I will ship anywhere in the world out of my pocket, so you would still get the CPU from an american shop, makes it easer if I keep it $200 USD since thats what I am getting in donations. Also, I am revising the rules, not limiting to just newegg. I will order from any of the following: Newegg, MonarchComputer, ZipZoomFly OR if someone see's a CPU they want to buy from the FS/FT forum on [H], I will do that too.

BTW, OSUGuy, there was something important I had to ask you about, and after the forums being down I forgot. I will PM you as soon as I remember, so check em in a few hours.

For the people who have been asking, I may have found a solution where I can take money order donations. I am currently discussing ideas with OSUGuy, and I will see what he thinks. I will keep you guys posted, but if your one of the money order only people who want to help, this could be your chance. Check back here often, I hope to have it figured out by the end of the day.

Just as an update, it looks like I will be albe to take money order donations also, for those of you who dont like paypal. PM me for the details.

If you want to donate with a Money Order, you can contact me or Viper for my mailing address, I'll cash it and send it to Viper's Pay Pal account for you...

PS... I wish I could hurry up and get to that 150k point mark... only 15k to go!!!

Keep on Folding!!

OSUguy98 said:
If you want to donate with a Money Order, you can contact me or Viper for my mailing address, I'll cash it and send it to Viper's Pay Pal account for you...

PS... I wish I could hurry up and get to that 150k point mark... only 15k to go!!!

Keep on Folding!!

Your close man, just keep pushing. You still got a bit over 3 months.

should only take another five weeks or so... I've been getting about 12k points per month...

Keep on Folding!!

Back