[H] AMD RX 480 CrossFire Testing Underway

I have three low end amd boards, ill let you guys know if i have any failures. I have two RX 480s on their way but tracking says end of next week. Im running 2x gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H and an older biostar fm2 something rather.

By then the driver fix should be out ..

Why dont you say the same thing about the "you know who's" that bash anything and everything AMD 24/7....If your gonna call Elmy out call those out who freely admitted working for Nvidia today! Also i believe Elmy is "sponsored" but not employed by AMD. Slight difference i think.

Yes I am sponsored by AMD not Directly paid. They have been helping me out with Hardware for years now because of the things I do in real life and social media stuff. I go to 5-6 LAN events including PDXLAN 3 times a year , PAX BYOC Prime etc.

I have also been to the Last GeForce LAN in Alameda CA ( I live in Seattle ) That was aboard an decommissoned aircraft carrier. It was pretty epic to be at a LAN party the whole weekend aboard an aircraft carrier. I have also been on the Cover of CPU magazine twice now with custom builds I have done and been interviewed multiple times by Youtubers and other various media people. I have not used Nvidia since the 7800 GTX 512MB. I love the way Nvidia and AMD push each other to innovate. I don't hate Nvidia at all. I think they make a great product.

Did you raise your power target to +50%?

All my benching Power target was set to 50% and max voltages on Memory and GPU.

yup, of course, i'm a budget gamer let's use our 550$ motherboard and 1000$ CPU with overpowered PCI-E slot, that are reinforced both external and internally, and then let's use a pair of budget 240$ card, because after all im a typical budget gamer who this card is aimed at.. =) then let's go to a forum and say nothing happened after 4 hours of test.

Elmy your word worth nothing in this forum as everyone know you are paid by AMD. LoL.

edit: misplaced words xd

You know you sound like a spoiled kid. You call people out but in the process you end up sounding like you are on nvidia payroll yourself. Constant bashing of AMD and not contributing an ounce of thought to discussion other than hate and constant bashing of others and amd. Relax and take a deep breath, and enjoy your rig that has no harm coming it to anytime soon. Don't be so invested in bashing others who are buying and testing rx 480s. You wanna stay on topic? Bring something valuable to discussion other than constant "your board is going to burnout" rant..

My precious! My hands rub awaiting vindication. Make me sell my gtx660's. Make me.

You know you sound like a spoiled kid. You call people out but in the process you end up sounding like you are on nvidia payroll yourself. Constant bashing of AMD and not contributing an ounce of thought to discussion other than hate and constant bashing of others and amd. Relax and take a deep breath, and enjoy your rig that has no harm coming it to anytime soon. Don't be so invested in bashing others who are buying and testing rx 480s. You wanna stay on topic? Bring something valuable to discussion other than constant "your board is going to burnout" rant..

Its common sense, you don't match up 200+ dollar motherboards, 1000 + dollar CPU's with 200 dollar graphics cards, they are all in separate market segments. And being spoilded or making enough money to fully entertain your hobby in the way you want are two different things. And that is personal preference.

The main difference between less expensive boards outside of features, is cheaper materials via using less metals, less pcb layers, less stages etc, this does affect the way cheaper motherboards perform under stress.

For example last year I bought a HP system with a 970 for my niece for her 10th birthday, her dad, my brother asked me if she could get the 980 ti and put it there, I told him better not to, its only got a 500 watt power supply and I'm not even sure the motherboard will handle that much more power draw. It probably will be able to but why risk it?

I got the system with a discount from work for 800 bucks, does it even make sense to put a 980ti in there most likely it will be CPU bottlenecked anyways.

Last edited:
Yes, pretty damning as far as "professional jounalism" here is concerned. [H] has fallen deep. I'm here almost daily since 2004 and... well, I'm disappointed.

You've been here since 04 and yet you seem completely oblivious to the fact that this is far from the first time [H] has taken pot shots at products. Did you forget how much [H] hated the NF4 chipset? Or all the little shots they took at the GTX 480? Or the Phantom console? And probably several other products I'm forgetting. Hell, they poked fun at the 290 and 290x as well with it's insanely loud stock cooler. Funny how that wasn't a big issue, not until AMD marketing decided to brainwash people into believing that there is some big conspiracy against them.

Its common sense, you don't match up 200+ dollar motherboards, 1000 + dollar CPU's with 200 dollar graphics cards, they are all in separate market segments. And being spoilded or making enough money to fully entertain your hobby in the way you want are two different things. And that is personal preference.

The main difference between less expensive boards outside of features, is cheaper materials via using less metals, less pcb layers, less stages etc, this does affect the way cheaper motherboards perform under stress.

For example last year I bought a HP system with a 970 for my niece for her 10th birthday, her dad, my brother asked me if she could get the 980 ti and put it there, I told him better not to, its only got a 500 watt power supply and I'm not even sure the motherboard will handle that much more power draw. It probably will be able to but why risk it?

I got the system with a discount from work for 800 bucks, does it even make sense to put a 980ti in there most likely it will be CPU bottlenecked anyways.
Being that guy, I would put 2 gtx 1080's in my 4 year old $159 motherboard tomorrow if I had the cash.

Soon as Brent finishes all the days worth of tests....He gets to start on the next article of how much the performance changed with the new fix.....lots of work still to do:)

Soon as Brent finishes all the days worth of tests....He gets to start on the next article of how much the performance changed with the new fix.....lots of work still to do:)

Hopefully minimal, if any. If they neuter the card too much in order to put it into spec that will severely decrease the value of the stock card. Though, that'll just mean that aftermarket cards will get a nice boost in popularity. Especially ones that have an 8-pin connector.

yup, of course, i'm a budget gamer let's use our 550$ motherboard and 1000$ CPU with overpowered PCI-E slot, that are reinforced both external and internally, and then let's use a pair of budget 240$ card, because after all im a typical budget gamer who this card is aimed at.. =) then let's go to a forum and say nothing happened after 4 hours of test.

Elmy your word worth nothing in this forum as everyone know you are paid by AMD. LoL.

edit: misplaced words xd

You know, broken English aside (I know it is not your native language) I used to like you..You had some decent things to say, and even if you are wrong you used to be willing to admit it..But this is just bullshit.

Elmy is very well known in the social media/youtube world for his builds. Yes he is sponsored by AMD. He has always been forthcoming about that issue, and has stated several times he is SPONSORED, NOT PAID BY AMD..There is a huge difference between the two...

I wish you lived in the states so Elmy could bring a civil suit against you just for the Lawls...I'd contribute to a gofundme account just for his legal fees..You are such a high roller you can afford the judgemet against you right?!?

All you do is come into this subforum and bitch and bitch about AMD, yet when someone calls you on it you run and hide behind the fact you claim to have ~10 high end rigs and "I have 1 AMD card so that makes it ok!! Honest guys it really does!!"

If you hate AMD so much, for fucks sake, why don't you just buy a green dildo and slobber all over it nightly? I'm sure you can get a few other "green guys" that have been working overtime the last week to join you..You guys need to let loose, and relax :ROFLMAO::D:greedy: (Those are the O faces you, 'zer, and 'dra must make when you fondle your "hardware")..

I'm not even sure the motherboard will handle that much more power draw. It probably will be able to but why risk it?

Wait, aren't you the guy that has been harping about how little power Nvidia products (and the 980ti specifically) draw?? The 980ti draws much less then the 75W max that the current PCI-E spec mandates, so why would you be be worried the MB wouldn't be able to handle the power draw?

Don't hide behind the the 500W PSU issue, you guys swear the 980TI doesn't draw much power, and mentioning the the cpu bottleneck is just another attempt at misdirection so when called on it you can scream "Wait guys, WAIT!!! I mentioned this and this so the MB power issue can't be considered an issue at all!"..

I am so fucking sick of the damn green colored cult-ish fanboys..You guys must just bust green koolaid colored loads all over your KB while trying to one up each other with witty AMD bashing comments...Its pathetic..Truly.

Hopefully minimal, if any. If they neuter the card too much in order to put it into spec that will severely decrease the value of the stock card. Though, that'll just mean that aftermarket cards will get a nice boost in popularity. Especially ones that have an 8-pin connector.

Its about 10-15w out of spec. i doubt they have to drop performance to drop that wattage somewhere. Bumping up the fan speed a little under load and droping the volts a notch should easily take care of that.

Well it maybe not make sense to you, but for a builder on budget it does make sense, you will spend as much as possibel on gpu and cpu, you will calculate the psu need, find the cheapest psu with power enogh that has good reviews, mb often comes last, well before case, but you excpect ofcouse all components to be in spec.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with putting a 1080 and a good cpu on a cheap mb, any budget builder would do that, what many of you dont get is that builds often are on a max budget for that person. wich meen 30 dollars +- can be a lot for that person, i have builded lots a pc, so i do know that for a fact.
I say wait and see what the initial fix turns out to be before jumping to conclusions. What if we see a performance increase with the fix? That is also a possibility. Looks like there is some headroom with Polaris, take away the power restrictions, re-balance the loads and the chip has some leg room to go faster.

AIB boards are the ones that I would be most interested in anyways. That will most likely make all this commotion pointless in the end.

Well it maybe not make sense to you, but for a builder on budget it does make sense, you will spend as much as possibel on gpu and cpu, you will calculate the psu need, find the cheapest psu with power enogh that has good reviews, mb often comes last, well before case, but you excpect ofcouse all components to be in spec.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with putting a 1080 and a good cpu on a cheap mb, any budget builder would do that, what many of you dont get is that builds often are on a max budget for that person. wich meen 30 dollars +- can be a lot for that person, i have builded lots a pc, so i do know that for a fact.

Look if ya got the money for a 1080 and high end cpu you are in the 1k to 1.5k realm with just those parts, save up and get a good motherboard and PSU, is all I can say, cause getting a crappy cheapo motherboard, and psu, and case, is just really not smart. If the person can save up another 500 bucks they are set. Or get the pieces as they save up

I hope they added another DX 12 game to the scene - WarHammer.

You know, broken English aside (I know it is not your native language) I used to like you..You had some decent things to say, and even if you are wrong you used to be willing to admit it..But this is just bullshit.

Elmy is very well known in the social media/youtube world for his builds. Yes he is sponsored by AMD. He has always been forthcoming about that issue, and has stated several times he is SPONSORED, NOT PAID BY AMD..There is a huge difference between the two...

I wish you lived in the states so Elmy could bring a civil suit against you just for the Lawls...I'd contribute to a gofundme account just for his legal fees..You are such a high roller you can afford the judgemet against you right?!?

All you do is come into this subforum and bitch and bitch about AMD, yet when someone calls you on it you run and hide behind the fact you claim to have ~10 high end rigs and "I have 1 AMD card so that makes it ok!! Honest guys it really does!!"

If you hate AMD so much, for fucks sake, why don't you just buy a green dildo and slobber all over it nightly? I'm sure you can get a few other "green guys" that have been working overtime the last week to join you..You guys need to let loose, and relax :ROFLMAO::D:greedy: (Those are the O faces you, 'zer, and 'dra must make when you fondle your "hardware")..

First, Thanks for your understanding as always, i'm always learning something from you =) and i'm always open to accept my mistakes, so thanks as second and i'm sorry if my post disturb you as third.

I do not hate AMD, why you say I hate AMD? just because I'm attacking the POS RX 480? I'm attacking it since the approaching of a "budget mainstream" GPU I knew it was going to fail one way or another, nothing wrong with that, or i'm wrong?. it's an acceptable card for the price but overall mediocre with no market beyond those with ancient hardware and miners, wow how wrong i'm with this?. is not hate is reality I never confuse point of view with truth I just give my opinion based in the reality the same way I buy AMD cards no matter prices, bought 280X's and 390X's just for fun because I liked the hardware of those cards, posted dozens of times how much probably the 7970/280x is the best card ever made, but damn HEY I hate AMD then I should buy a green dildo, I praised AMD r9 290 series A LOT, attacked Nvidia cards even made couple of threads about how "OUCH, was Nvidia with the heavy AMD strikes from the R9 290 and R9 290X"

I even entered in some nasty fights years ago by defending AMD CPUs sometimes in some regards I attack in others, oh well wait i'm one of those saying how bad are Nvidia drivers lately since windows 10 and how much better drivers AMD have right now and how much improvements they are making, well I guess I still need to buy that dildo because for god sake I hate so much AMD, I got your point thanks. And not im not tied to this subforum bashing AMD Im normally wondering through the entire forum watching and sometimes helping other users with issues and sometimes with information but well nobody can help with the ignorance of some users here.

I may still be buying that green dildo and put your name on it to always remember your kind words.

On the Elmy matter, hey, I don't care if its "Sponsored" and not "directly paid" because he still isn't allowed to speak bad about any AMD hardware, everyone knows that here. Or don't you remember him attacking Nvidia in the GTX 900 times and praising the "R9 300" Series before launched you know, "Nvidia have no clue what's going to happen, Next AMD cards (when even fury wasn't mentioned ever) are going to blow away nvidia cards out of the park, are going to be amazing" then calling troll threads openly to guys praising GTX 900 cards, even calling for some bans.. don't you remember how he attacked Prime1? calling for bans everytime he could do that? I could fin couple of post for you If you don't remember...

Don't you remember him trolling in the forums? with instead of offering people help to solve issues he then state things like "I see your problem there.... You are running Nvidia cards... Go find the nearest screw driver and unbolt those... Put them up for sale here in the forums and go buy 2 7990's like I have and walla... No more problems ... LMAO" when a user had issues with some screen setups, do you need the post link? you know he is the kind of guy who love the word "blatant troll" in threads who praise Nvidia cards over AMD, you know when some said here "hey micro stutter with 2 7970 Xfired" then he said "you must be trolling, no microstuttering with 7990", you must know he was "really sick and tired of this being posted. Its already been posted multiple times and even brought up in threads when a guy was talking about buying single GPU. I have never had any stuttering problems with my 6970's then 6990+6970 or my current 7970's. Either I'm not sensitive to it or its so small that it isn't really as big as deal as ppl are making it out to be." then AMD introduced Framepacing software to help with micro stuttering issues, so I guess he was right when he said everyone was going to be surprised by the RX 480, yes nobody thought so kind of amazing failure of engineering piece could be made from a company dedicated to "lead the market with innovative high performance solutions" so what? he can attack and troll users here but as soon as he is called for being SPONSORED and openly partial to AMD and haven't used an Nvidia card since 7900GTX...

So he likes to attack and troll but can't be attacked by saying about his AMD deal? ok not directly paid? but sponsored him by giving hardware to him? i'm sorry, my bad. for me is the same shit because he will still be partial in all post, so for me and I know for a lot of guys here his word about no issues with AMD card worth nothing.

Thanks again for my horribly european english and for the time to read this, but I'm not gona apologize for express my point of view..

Him not being inclined to post negative things regarding AMD hardware do to sponsorship (Which is commonsense) doesn't mean what he's posting is incorrect or untrue. (Even Brent Somewhat hold his punches) What he's NOT allowed to post positive things either -just because he's sponsored? This i don't agree with. As a matter of fact when people publicly disclose things things, it's a statement to their character, In my opinion. Its the people that hide their agenda that bother me. (Maybe you would feel more comfortable if his signature stated AMD sponsored?)

Him not being inclined to post negative things regarding AMD hardware do to sponsorship (Which is commonsense) doesn't mean what he's posting is incorrect or untrue. (Even Brent Somewhat hold his punches) What he's NOT allowed to post positive things either -just because he's sponsored? This i don't agree with. As a matter of fact when people publicly disclose things things, it's a statement to their character, In my opinion. Its the people that hide their agenda that bother me. (Maybe you would feel more comfortable if his signature stated AMD sponsored?)

And you are right, not necessarily what he post is incorrect or untrue however, I do not tend to trust this kind of things, because I know how this politics works in social media, same used to happen with a member of Red Team plus member we had here, everything with AMD was wonderful and marvelous until he decided to jump the boat to nvidia and leave Red Team, then everything wasn't so great, they also aren't paid guys, they just receive "gift" from AMD to keep a partial posture on the social media, so anyone sponsored by AMD im inclined to think is in the same position.

anyway we should just leave this as we are going off-topic. better run here than die here by mods hands. :p

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I will try to be a better person from here on out. :)

AMD is not perfect at all. I have had my fair share of issues over the years.

What are the chances that two RX 480s will be a good upgrade to two 290x cards?

Pure side grades with some what less power usage. In other word it will trade blows back and forth game to game. The extra vram will help in SOME situations.

If the Biostar holds up, you're golden :smuggrin:

I trust the biostar a lot more then the gigabytes. The biostar has been in my garage with 4 video cards attached running 24x7 for weeks. I got my two 480s today, one of them the metal bracket was bent 45 degrees, i bent it back and installed it. Didnt boot first try, reseated them booted to windows and been running for an hour now. 480s are at stock clocks, its very quiet and each one gets the same hashrate as my undervolted / underclocked 290x while making probably less then half the noise / heat. i am really looking forward to the 3rd party boards.

Pure side grades with some what less power usage. In other word it will trade blows back and forth game to game. The extra vram will help in SOME situations.

Yeah. Unless the AIB cards are a big improvement, there would be very little point.

How many hours of work was lost this time?
We finished all the RX 480 CrossFire testing Monday. AMD's new driver is dropping in 48 hours, but given that AMD tells us at best a 3% performance increase we are NOT going to retest CrossFire. We will give that driver the benefit of the doubt in terms of performance, but it is being dropped to address AMD's RX 480 PCIe bus power issues.

None, 290x has a lot more hardware and memory bandwidth. Gaming they are pretty close in performance -- but the 480 is meant to replace a 380. I have two 290x and 2 480s -- the 290s are loud and hot, the 480s are cooler and quiet.

None, 290x has a lot more hardware and memory bandwidth. Gaming they are pretty close in performance -- but the 480 is meant to replace a 380. I have two 290x and 2 480s -- the 290s are loud and hot, the 480s are cooler and quiet.
Mine are Sapphires with 3 giant fans on the heat sinks, pretty quiet for me. I did not overclock them though, and I like the performance I get in the games I play on my Acer 34 inch (3440x1440 rez)

I trust the biostar a lot more then the gigabytes. The biostar has been in my garage with 4 video cards attached running 24x7 for weeks. I got my two 480s today, one of them the metal bracket was bent 45 degrees, i bent it back and installed it. Didnt boot first try, reseated them booted to windows and been running for an hour now. 480s are at stock clocks, its very quiet and each one gets the same hashrate as my undervolted / underclocked 290x while making probably less then half the noise / heat. i am really looking forward to the 3rd party boards.

Of the 4 Biostar boards I have received 2 of 4 actually worked, 1 died, and 1 DOA. They were all AM2+ boards, AsRock was a much better budget alternative for me.

Of the 4 Biostar boards I have received 2 of 4 actually worked, 1 died, and 1 DOA. They were all AM2+ boards, AsRock was a much better budget alternative for me.

I had a biostar 990fx, 870, and this fm2 -- all of them were solid for me. really the only brands to give me problems were ECS and Asrock, but i buy A LOT of asrocks -- so my chances of having problems with asrocks would be more common. my comment on the biostar though, ive had this fm2 biostar for a over a year and its been mining in the garage since april without a reboot or hiccup yet. I cant get my asrock Z170 or gigabyte boards to post with more then two video cards so im kinda mad at them.

I had a biostar 990fx, 870, and this fm2 -- all of them were solid for me. really the only brands to give me problems were ECS and Asrock, but i buy A LOT of asrocks -- so my chances of having problems with asrocks would be more common. my comment on the biostar though, ive had this fm2 biostar for a over a year and its been mining in the garage since april without a reboot or hiccup yet. I cant get my asrock Z170 or gigabyte boards to post with more then two video cards so im kinda mad at them.
I've had two FM2+ Gigabytes and one AM2 Biostar, all three worked fine (though, the biostar shipped with only an engineer (or something) bios available which gave a warning on every boot, Edit: Still the only one available, actually).

Last edited:
Back