Guys picking up 2 XFX 7800GTX 512 meg cards RIGHT NOW !!

Marcdaddy said:
You do if you won the lotto, like $5 million you do LMAO!
Hommeslice!!!

Don't forget to buy these blowers to keep your TWINS even cooler and possibly extend the
life of them so that they provide you with nothing but the juciest graphics ever!
Possibly, till the cows come home (that translates to about six months :D )

Here are my TWINS:
dsc03801.jpg

lithium726 said:
...except those wont fit between his cards, with the dual slot coolers and all...

D'oh! True dat.
I wonder if that will be the case as well with the A8N32? Mos def im thinkin'.
You'd think those Asus bastards would design a mobo that would space out
the freaking VGAs for an SLI config - because after all it is a 16X PCI-X mobo, correct?
I see no logic.

a single slot blower might fit with a 2 slot gap mobo... but it's going to be extremely tight.. and the cards draw air from the top and push it out on each side... I think you'd want to make sure there was good flow to the tops of the cards, not pulling it away.. maybe... I think getting a couple of 120mm or 80mm fans on the side of the cards blowing fresh air at them would be optimal and keep the pci slot covers open. or go water. :) imo

SWEET...this is the exact same setup I am about to have. Should get my BFGs tomorrow and then my MB before Friday.

^^^ rofl (qfMFt)

oC|-TiTaN said:
2 512MB BFG 7800GTX's on a DFI SLI-DR Expert

Now that's a pretty sight. :D

(sung to the tune of Reeces PB cups song) "three great things that taste great together DFI expert and crucial ballistix and 7800GTX512s in SLI - butter cups" ;) (yes - I am a dork lol)

[CoF] ATOMIC said:
Hommeslice!!!

Don't forget to buy these blowers to keep your TWINS even cooler and possibly extend the
life of them so that they provide you with nothing but the juciest graphics ever!
Possibly, till the cows come home (that translates to about six months :D )

Here are my TWINS:
dsc03801.jpg

I've never found those blower style fans to do much of anything. They've never made any kind of perceivable difference in performance in my experience. Now if they blew air directly on the card, maybe. But those snail things usually don't.

I agree... they're too loud and don't do much... getting air on the cards is more important. :)

Sir-Fragalot said:
I've never found those blower style fans to do much of anything. They've never made any kind of perceivable difference in performance in my experience. Now if they blew air directly on the card, maybe. But those snail things usually don't.
ditto

i bought one of those once, didnt do a damn thing..

heat rises, it doesnt fall. having those under video cards doesnt do anything

Well my temps were pretty high on Card one when i game upper 70C while card 2 was at 55 to 60C, i installed a case fan blowing directly between the 2 cards and under full load at 604/1.78 both cards are around 54C to 58C huge improvement off of card number 1 which ia sandwich between the CPU and card 2.

w a t e r

did you hear something??

w a t e r

there it is again... hrm... ;)

lithium726 said:
ditto

i bought one of those once, didnt do a damn thing..

heat rises, it doesnt fall. having those under video cards doesnt do anything

good thing hes got a case with the mobo upside down, the heat goes right into the blowers and out.
that setup might be bad though because both fan are fighting for air. they could actually be worsening performance by lowering air flow

yeah - but the heat is mostly towards the back of the cards, those blowers would need to be about twice as long to really be effective.. what they're doing, in all reality, is sucking air away from the air intake of the card... as you can see, the intake of both are facing each other... still and all, I doubt it's hurting cooling performance either... with that side fan feeding them with air... I bet it's removing a tiny bit of heat, but the effects are just about a wash..

Sir-Fragalot said:
That's my next move.

man - your sh*t is going to be off the hook on h2o... :)

ok - back OT - where are the GTX512mb shots... we want more!!

You guys, that fan is different. It blows cool air into the case and at the video card. It's not an exhaust fan. However it looks too small to be doing too much good.

Water is ridiculous - spend $200 to set up watercooling to cool a $400 part? Not smart. Best course of action is to get a low profile copper cooler and slim fan to replace the original HSF. That's like $30.

ok - putting air on the cards there would really help.

well - that depends on what you want to do... water can be a very fun project, lower your temps beyond what air can do, lower your noise levels, and raise your OCing potential. and you can cool your cpu + video card(s). It's a big undertaking... yes, and I am not saying run right out and do this now... just mentioning it as a possibility...

I don't think watercooling is worth it from a functional viewpoint, it's good for fun, but it has none of the benefits it used to have relative to air. First of all, you can get almost the same cooling and overclocking from good aircooling as you can with OCing. Second, you can get the same level of quiet for non-gaming situations just by using a rheobus. So that right there negates the two main gains of WCing.

have you tried WCing? you can get air setups which rival it (stasisthermal, xp-90, etc), but a good water setup will out perform a resonable (one which is not a wind tunnel vortex of death right on the mobo and cards) air setup... especially at load times... the deviation from idle to load temps is way reduced with water.. in general. I think you make some good points, but your attempt to invalidate water as not having greater benefits than modern air setups is not going to fly with me... anyways...

EDIT: but I am completely biased here. lol :D

and dont forget, the 2 main reasons he listed were independent of each otehr., WC main assest is you can have BOTH assest at the same time. quiet super OCs

XFX 7800GTX 512 MB ftw!

Guys im gonna order up a new MOBO I havnt seen many Becnhmarks is normal modes of SLI gonna benefit or only the 8XSLI AA and 16XSLI AA modes.

I watercool my system. Anyone who things watercooling is not worth it anymore, well check out this. When I got my 7800 GTX the idle temp was 56C and the load temp was over 70C. I ran it for 1 day without water for comparison. Now, with less noise, the same exact card idles at 31C and it has never gone over 35C under full load. I don't understand it either but I load up everest on my 2nd monitor and watch it. I also overclock my X2 3800+ to 2.7 ghz on both CPU's. My idle temp on this is 27C and load is around 35C. I have 9 120MM quiet fans, I even liquid cool my ram with some custom ramsinks. I take this rig to LAN's every 2 weeks. I've never had a problem with it, and its quieter with all the fans maxed out then most systems are that are aircooled at idle. The other nice thing is, I can run the fans at 7V and it makes the entire system almost silent, and my temps change maybe 1C. The idea of gaming typically requires sound to be heard, what good is that if your PC sounds like a jet engine? Watercooling is the only way I will ever cool anything I put in my system, has been for 2 years now, and will continue to be that way.

Quote: " but a good water setup will out perform a resonable (one which is not a wind tunnel vortex of death right on the mobo and cards) air setup... especially at load times... the deviation from idle to load temps is way reduced with water.. in general. I think you make some good points, but your attempt to invalidate water as not having greater benefits than modern air setups is not going to fly with me... anyways..."

Yup water cooling is the way to go. been doing it since way back. And I only run air cooling to make sure everything runs right before I attemp the watercooling.
Thats way you know you caused the problem run to a problem which is the case 99% of the time.
The parts are there now for the anybody and they are almost fool proff.
Before we/I had to make such parts.

The benifits are there.

Matrices said:
I don't think watercooling is worth it from a functional viewpoint, it's good for fun, but it has none of the benefits it used to have relative to air. First of all, you can get almost the same cooling and overclocking from good aircooling as you can with OCing. Second, you can get the same level of quiet for non-gaming situations just by using a rheobus. So that right there negates the two main gains of WCing.

I can't agree. It has been proven that watercooling produces better results. Plus, water cooling is quiet in all situations, gaming or not.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I can't agree. It has been proven that watercooling produces better results. Plus, water cooling is quiet in all situations, gaming or not.
Not only are the overclocks better, but the temps are so much better.

jacuzz1 said:
Quote: " but a good water setup will out perform a resonable (one which is not a wind tunnel vortex of death right on the mobo and cards) air setup... especially at load times... the deviation from idle to load temps is way reduced with water.. in general. I think you make some good points, but your attempt to invalidate water as not having greater benefits than modern air setups is not going to fly with me... anyways..."

LOL - I guess I did write that... heh.. I was on a tear that day.
:eek:

I went into watercooling 6-7 years ago and have never looked back. It is very quiet and the temperatures are always cooler. I just can't handle the noise of the large number of fans to get near to the level of watercooling.
Back on topic, how are these 7800gtx 512MB with maze4 low profiles? Still the same speil as far as GPU block and ram sinks? Are there structural differences between these and the 7800gts or 256mb gtx version. I may just decide to go dual on these also...

the memory is all on the front face of the card (gpu core side) with the 512mb version, as it is with the GT version... the 256GTX has alternating memory front and back... that appears to be the biggest difference to me... the same water blocks (for the core only - not memory) should fit all the 7800 series cards.

Damnit...between you guys jabbing about these things and me not finding a reason not to buy these things, I feel like my wallet is going to be a little lighter again....And it is almost the xmas season...

Back