Gunman Shot After Trying to Rob Pokémon Go Players

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just so you know, Pokemon Go players in my town don't mess around. Both the player and the dumbass that tried to rob him were hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. I wish I could have seen this. You know the robber was like "Gotta catch em' al...*pop* *pop* *pop* ...nevermind." :D

A group of six people were at Big League Dreams park after 4 a.m. Monday playing the game when the man and a driver came up in an SUV and demanded their possessions at gunpoint, according to police. A player who has a concealed weapons permit pulled out his gun, and both sides exchanged fire, officials said.

Wow, an actual successful self defense case with a concealed carry weapon. These are pretty rare!

edit:

Maybe not so successful after all, one of the victims was also shot and hospitalized, the bill from which will probably exceed the cost of all the possessions they were carrying, not to mention he risk to that victims life, compared to just giving the criminal what they want.

Wow, an actual successful self defense case with a concealed carry weapon. These are pretty rare!

Actually it's not rare. Usually just pulling the concealed weapon is enough to get the perp to back off and look for a victim elsewhere, so it never gets reported.

What's rare is that this was actually reported in the media.

edit:

Maybe not so successful after all, one of the victims was also shot and hospitalized, the bill from which will probably exceed the cost of all the possessions they were carrying, not to mention he risk to that victims life, compared to just giving the criminal what they want.

Oh god, you're one of those people...

edit:

The only thing rare about it is that it actually came to light. Guns actually save more lives than they take, but that just doesn't fit the narrative.

edit:

The criminals went into the situation thinking they had the upper hand by bringing a weapon. Imagine if they knew differently. Imagine if they suspected that 5 - 6 people were carrying loaded weapons. Do you think the robbery would have occurred?

Being complaisant during a robbery isn't always the best solution. I knew someone that was robbed and killed while working at a convenience store. They were shot in the back after willingly handing over the cash and merchandise.

The criminals went into the situation thinking they had the upper hand by bringing a weapon. Imagine if they knew differently. Imagine if they suspected that 5 - 6 people were carrying loaded weapons. Do you think the robbery would have occurred?

It happened down in Florida years ago. They changed the concealed carry law to allow most law abiding people to get one. After several well televised cased of criminals being shot by their intended victims, they criminals decided that a good source of unarmed victims would be tourist coming from the airport. They started following people leaving the airport with rental car stickers on their cars. After numerous tourist where robbed or shot, the rental car companies removed the stickers to make it more difficult for the criminals to target tourist.

Yes. They would have brought more and bigger guns, because that's the solution to every problem.

twenty bucks says this gets spun in a way that pokemon GO is dangerous instead of thank god there was a conceal carry in the group that potentially saved them.
Well if they were at home asleep instead of playing Chimpukumin at 4 am those guys would not have tried to rob them:nailbiting:

Instead they would have robbed a 7/11 where some poor shit on employee drew the short straw and got 4th shift...

edit:

Lol at the UK approach.

How do you know the Robber won't just shoot your ass and take everything? Happens all the time in robberies.

But no, you go ahead and let a mental midget decide if you die or not.

Lol at the UK approach.

How do you know the Robber won't just shoot your ass and take everything? Happens all the time in robberies.

But no, you go ahead and let a mental midget decide if you die or not.

I suspect "happens all the time" translates to "I pulled this out of my ass because it supports my standpoint" For a robbery to escalate into a shootout you need two parties with a weapon or willingness to fight.

I suspect "happens all the time" translates to "I pulled this out of my ass because it supports my standpoint" For a robbery to escalate into a shootout you need two parties with a weapon or willingness to fight.

Defensive use of guns is very difficult to measure for a number of reasons. The studies done on it so far estimate between 108,000 and 3 million. Obviously with such a discrepancy, we really don't have the facts. At the bare minimum though, that's still quite a few on the low end, probably lower than real life. 3 million just seems absurd, but I'm sure it's somewhere in the middle of there. If we want to have a reasonable discussion about gun control, we at least need the numbers which we don't have, unfortunately.

Depending on your definition of a shootout, you really only need one party with a weapon and a willingness to shoot. If being at the mercy of the robber's morality is OK with you, then so be it. Personally, if someone is willing to rob me, I'm not going to bank on their good nature to let me go.

Depending on your definition of a shootout, you really only need one party with a weapon and a willingness to shoot. If being at the mercy of the robber's morality is OK with you, then so be it. Personally, if someone is willing to rob me, I'm not going to bank on their good nature to let me go.
No, you would rather further provoke them with pulling out a gun, or just starting a fight. Which has the greater chance of ending without bloodshed ? Doing nothing or fighting? The robber is not there to kill you, he's there to rob you. Better not give him reasons to change his goal.

So if cases where it saves lives never come to light, how do you know they exist?
They don't "come to light" in the way that it does not get main, national media attention. You just have to know where to look. The NRA in their monthly magazine compile news stories from across the nation where people used a firearm to successfully defend themselves against attackers. Usually about 10 news stories each month. They have to go to local news stories, as you never find them on the national news.

Yes. They would have brought more and bigger guns, because that's the solution to every problem.
Logistics indicates that's unlikely, as you now have to split meager profits with high risk among more people. And the more people involved in your crimes, all it takes is one to get busted, and they rat on their peers.

Its pretty dumb to pull a gun on a guy that has a gun pulled on you already, especially if they just want your stuff. But who knows how many times this guy was victimized. If he was in a bad area, and its the tenth time he's been mugged, he may have gotten to the point where he was willing to risk his safety to fight back against the criminals, and that's fine by me. Society is better off without the violent thugs.
M76 said:
The robber is not there to kill you, he's there to rob you. Better not give him reasons to change his goal.
I'm glad you know the thugs intentions. Just like the robbers that Fran Drescher encountered right, which turned from robbery into a prolonged multi-hour rape and torture session, which her husband never really recovered from.

Not escalating is one thing, but lets not pretend that you have any idea what these sick lowlifes have in mind. Its better to have a gun, and choose if and when to pull it, than have no options and be at the mercy of whatever mood strikes your attacker at the time.

It's not morality it's self preservation instinct. The robber wants to avoid a fight even more than you do. He just wants a payday. He's doing this for a living, picking a fight with every victim he robs would be suicidal. They won't shoot you unless they feel threatened by you. And what's better to threaten someone than to pull a gun on them. Sometimes it might be enough to say "You'll pay for this" to trigger them. The best chance of getting out unhurt from a situation like this is to not be confrontational. It's hard since your sense of justice is crying in agony.

No, you would rather further provoke them with pulling out a gun, or just starting a fight. Which has the greater chance of ending without bloodshed ? Doing nothing or fighting? The robber is not there to kill you, he's there to rob you. Better not give him reasons to change his goal.

Only a dumb-ass would pull out a gun in self-defense without meaning to use it... instantly. Pulling out a gun means you're in fear for your life and willing to take theirs before they kill you first. If someone has a gun on me, I assume they're going to use it... and you should too. There is no 'further provoke them' happening.

It's not morality it's self preservation instinct. The robber wants to avoid a fight even more than you do.
Statistics show us this is simply not true. The person attacking you, who you have no clue if he is a robber or what his "job description" is (could be a serial murderer, a hateful racist that just wants to kill people of your race, a torturer on a power trip, or drugged up and completely irrational), can have a myriad of motivations and is NOT someone that plans on long-term smart strategies or they wouldn't be robbing people in the first place and would have a career.

They don't "come to light" in the way that it does not get main, national media attention. You just have to know where to look. The NRA in their monthly magazine compile news stories from across the nation where people used a firearm to successfully defend themselves against attackers. Usually about 10 news stories each month. They have to go to local news stories, as you never find them on the national news.
So you're saying go to the wolf for sheep safety advice? 10 stories from a nation of 300 million is almost nothing. And how many incidents happen where people used firearms ended up injured or dead?

Statistics show us this is simply not true. The person attacking you, who you have no clue if he is a robber or what his "job description" is (could be a serial murderer, a hateful racist that just wants to kill people of your race, a torturer on a power trip, or drugged up and completely irrational), can have a myriad of motivations and is NOT someone that plans on long-term smart strategies or they wouldn't be robbing people in the first place and would have a career.
So who made up the term career criminal? They're not attacking you they point a gun at you and say give me your wallet. If they're attacking you that means shots fired. Of course you pull your gun then.

Only a dumb-ass would pull out a gun in self-defense without meaning to use it... instantly. Pulling out a gun means you're in fear for your life and willing to take theirs before they kill you first. If someone has a gun on me, I assume they're going to use it... and you should too. There is no 'further provoke them' happening.
Unless you can pull your gun out in concealment there is no chance that you can be quick enough against an already drawn gun, or knife for that matter. There were studies that shown that a knifeman not even standing next to you can close the distance and injure you before you can pull your gun out even from a holster, not to mention a concealed weapon.

Both sides of the gun violence argument conveniently overlook that it is simply a symptom of a greater malaise.

“This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in.”

~Theodore Roosevelt

Unless you can pull your gun out in concealment there is no chance that you can be quick enough against an already drawn gun, or knife for that matter. There were studies that shown that a knifeman not even standing next to you can close the distance and injure you before you can pull your gun out even from a holster, not to mention a concealed weapon.

I hope when you get robed you give everything the guy just doing his job wants, and he still shoots you. As for the test of us that actually care about ourselves and family we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves. If it ends bad at least I tried and didn't go out line a twinky with no chance to defend myself.

All true. Nobody is talking about pulling a gun against someone who already has theirs pointed at you. All we're talking about is a willingness to take them out first if given an opening. Personally, I'm not willing to just wait around and hope someone is willing to leave me alive when he's done if an opening is presented. The story in question has the perp being shot in the back without any further details. I read that as the robber turning towards one of the 'friends' and the guy with the gun taking the opportunity to get his gun out and use it. Chances are it was a little .380 or .22 caliber handgun without a lot of take-down power which allowed the robber a chance to return fire. If that's actually what happened, then IMO the CHL guy should have just continued firing once he started until that robber wasn't a threat anymore. That's how cops are trained and how most (if not all) CHL courses are taught.

Both sides of the gun violence argument conveniently overlook that it is simply a symptom of a greater malaise.

“This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in.”

~Theodore Roosevelt*

*Japanese excluded

It is about having another option. It is not a magical force that will automatically turn the tide in your favor but having a concealed firearm does allow another path to follow. When someone is attacking you or another person you are at their mercy. Having a concealed firearm may not make things better but at some point there might be a chance where drawing it and using it will end the confrontation by killing the attacker. I personally would not draw mine (hopefully I can be rational at this time because no one truly knows how they will react under pressure and adrenaline) until that moment i know i can use it fully. Personally if I draw my handgun on you, my intent is to keep firing until either its magazine is empty or you dont move anymore. It isnt like in the movies where you draw and tell someone to stand down and they do it, you draw and move right into making that gun go bang at the target until hes dead, because it that moment you are fighting for survival. And I would rather deal with courts and jail time than be dead. Never brandish and never let random people know you have a gun. Walk natural and do not hover your hand near it because if the perp realizes you have a concealed firearm you may become a priority target over someone that does not because he believes he can get that from you and use it on others.

The scenarios go on forever, i personally see my handgun as a condom, better to have and not need than need and not have.

edit: i think i made sense, i dunno, need coffee......

I hope when you get robed you give everything the guy just doing his job wants, and he still shoots you. As for the test of us that actually care about ourselves and family we will do whatever is necessary to protect ourselves. If it ends bad at least I tried and didn't go out line a twinky with no chance to defend myself.
Yeah, a guy tried to rob me at gunpoint in my own driveway after asking for directions. When I moved to the side, grabbed the gun and aimed it away, it went off. If these robbers are so considerate of everyone's safety, they wouldn't use loaded guns.

While I understand your sentiment, I won't hope anyone ever gets shot if they're ever robbed. I do agree that he's being pretty nieve about a robber 'just doing his job' and will nicely leave if you give him what he wants. There's way too many stories of things not happening that way for me to trust that as a likely outcome.

Last edited:
Back