Guilty Verdict Overturned in MySpace Suicide Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
A judge has overturned the guilty verdicts against the lady that, along with other adults, harassed a 13 year old girl on MySpace until she committed suicide. Although convicted by a jury of her peers on three counts, the judge said he based his decision on the fact that she was convicted of misdemeanors, not a felony…wait, what? Read this:

Wu told Krause that if Drew had been convicted of felonies he would already have sentenced her in May when her sentencing had initially been scheduled. But the misdemeanor convictions gave him trouble. “I don’t see how the misdemeanor aspect would be constitutional,” he said, telling Krause that he had problems with the “vagueness” of the federal statute.

what the fuck is with all this misdemeanor and computer crime bullshit? charge her with involuntary manslaughter and send her away for twenty years, that'll teach this bitch a lesson

Agreed with Terminus. People like this just aren't completely right in the head.

perfect example of why being physically capable of squeezing out a baby doesnt make you a good parent. i agree with the ruling, because honestly from a legal perspective the case just didnt make sense.. the prosecution bumbled through the charges, approach and angle they took...but lock that bitch up anyway. who cares.

Agreed with Terminus. People like this just aren't completely right in the head.

I am going to have to disagree on this. I don't think she should get anything period. The girl killed her self by her own CHOICE. I blame the kids parents for not monitoring what this 13 year old was doing online.

Yes the mother who did the bullying did a very childish thing. But that does not mean she should get 20+ years for manslaughter when no such act was commited. Everyone gets bullied in there life. That 13 year old just could not handle it and took it apon herself to terminate her own life.

My 2 cents :)

While I understand what a ruling like this means and why it is the way it is...

...I don't understand how a low-life like this woman is still on the earth but Farrah Fawcett had to go. :( It's not like this ruling means the bitch didn't do what she did, it just means the way they went about getting a conviction (computer related charges) was stupid.

Odd that the judge says if she woulda got felony charges she'd be in jail already...:confused:

A rare common sense verdict. Imagine the precedent this would have set. "violating MySpace’s terms of service was the legal equivalent of computer hacking." Are you freaking serious? If the terms of service of this site had said no name calling or sarcasm you could technically be charged with "Hacking" that would mean all most every body here on the forums would be "hackers"
What this woman did was pathetic and disgusting but not criminal and the courts agree.

I think everyone agrees that this was the wrong way to charge her.

I think everyone also agrees this woman is the lowest form of life on the planet.

...with that said, had this happened to my daughter, the only person that would be on trial would be me. One adult parent to another adult parent, no courts, no appeals, no ridiculous computar hax0r charges and no waste of tax payer money.

...with that said, had this happened to my daughter, the only person that would be on trial would be me. One adult parent to another adult parent, no courts, no appeals, no ridiculous computar hax0r charges and no waste of tax payer money.

I agree. I'd kill some one who intentionally hurt my kid and wouldn't expect any lenience from the courts.

Just because there isn't a specific law being broken doesn't mean this waste of flesh shouldn't be punished any less.

As most loving parents I'd be hard pressed not to take this bitches life if something like this happened to my daughter.

Unfortunately it's how the case proceeded and how they got the conviction itself.
I agree with it setting a poor precedent. Unfortunately the woman needs to go to jail, but no real law to charge her with...

I don't see any crime being committed. Nor do I see any reason to charge the woman.

Whats wrong with those wanting to deal out death and punishment with such a heavy hand?

Don't you guys realize that these people will have to live with this for the rest of their life? Locking them away in a dark corner of a prison or taking away their life is just foolish and not as painful as having to continually live surrounded by people who know about it.

Death would remove them of their suffering and locking them away would deprive society from treating them as they have so earned.

No matter how cold you are, you will pay for it someway, sometime and somehow.

Give 'er a good ol' linchin'. 'tis not hard to know where that piece of human waste lives innit?

Nothing wrong with a lynching. Its not a racist thing, its about the community coming together and agreeing that someone has been wronged and stringing the wrong doer up on a tree. Gotta love a good old fashion mob mentality, nothing brings a community together like a lynching, taring/feathering or a good old fashion biblical stoning.

Yeah, justice is a four letter word.

So I can harass someone until they kill themselves and I get off scott free, w00t. I'll gift wrap the noose for them.

What I don't get is why the bitch wasn't charged with assisted suicide? She provoked the 13yo girl to commit suicide by one statement "the world would be better off without you" knowing full well the child was mentally ill.

Whats wrong with those wanting to deal out death and punishment with such a heavy hand?

Don't you guys realize that these people will have to live with this for the rest of their life? Locking them away in a dark corner of a prison or taking away their life is just foolish and not as painful as having to continually live surrounded by people who know about it.

Death would remove them of their suffering and locking them away would deprive society from treating them as they have so earned.

No matter how cold you are, you will pay for it someway, sometime and somehow.

I have to disagree about her feeling bad about what she has done. Someone that would do what she did obviously has no conscience to bother them.

Agreed. None of the photos of the woman showed she expressed any remorse for what she did. I'm surprised the state hasn't taken her children away for raising them in an unfit environment.

I have to disagree about her feeling bad about what she has done. Someone that would do what she did obviously has no conscience to bother them.

What I don't get is why the bitch wasn't charged with assisted suicide? She provoked the 13yo girl to commit suicide by one statement "the world would be better off without you" knowing full well the child was mentally ill.

AceGoober, the world would be better off without you. Right now having said that imagine you now go and kill yourself. Do you really think I deserve to go to prison for hurting your feelings? True, the woman was a bitch but it wasn't her fault the girl committed suicide - that was the girl's choice.

Clearly if she kills herself after a tiny insult then she was going to kill herself at some point and it was just a matter of time before something triggered her to. It might have been that she walked into a music store and found the CD she wanted to buy was out of stock. Should the store owner face prison charges for causing her death?

This woman was just unfortunate in choosing the wrong person to insult and doesn’t deserve to go to prison for it.

Pre-emptive response to people who are going to defend this witch:

This wasn't a couple young kids trading barbs with each other over the Interwebs, and even a depressed and troubled girl would probably not kill herself because of that. This was an adult intentionally manipulating a child in order to HARM that child.

When some kid gets lured into a situation and molested do you go "Lol she had it coming. She chose to get into the van." Hell no. You call for the scumbags head. This is no different. It's the EXACT same situation. An adult taking advantage of the less developed intellect and emotional maturity of a young girl.

This woman abused that child, plain and simple. Just because it didn't happen face to face doesn't make it okay. If we allow adults to harass and manipulate children over the Internet and get away with it, we are setting a horrible precedent.

Anyone who thinks that a kid should just man up and take the abuse obviously doesn't have kids. And if they do, they should have them taken away and put with a family that actually cares.

AceGoober, the world would be better off without you. Right now having said that imagine you now go and kill yourself. Do you really think I deserve to go to prison for hurting your feelings? True, the woman was a bitch but it wasn't her fault the girl committed suicide - that was the girl's choice.

Clearly if she kills herself after a tiny insult then she was going to kill herself at some point and it was just a matter of time before something triggered her to. It might have been that she walked into a music store and found the CD she wanted to buy was out of stock. Should the store owner face prison charges for causing her death?

This woman was just unfortunate in choosing the wrong person to insult and doesn’t deserve to go to prison for it.

Everyone is going to die at some point. Doesn't mean you should be able to get away with murder.

What this woman did was a form of torture. Emotionally devastating no matter how stable you are.

This wasn't a couple young kids trading barbs with each other over the Interwebs, and even a depressed and troubled girl would probably not kill herself because of that. This was an adult intentionally manipulating a child in order to HARM that child.

When some kid gets lured into a situation and molested do you go "Lol she had it coming. She chose to get into the van." Hell no. You call for the scumbags head. This is no different. It's the EXACT same situation. An adult taking advantage of the less developed intellect and emotional maturity of a young girl.

This woman abused that child, plain and simple. Just because it didn't happen face to face doesn't make it okay. If we allow adults to harass and manipulate children over the Internet and get away with it, we are setting a horrible precedent.

Anyone who thinks that a kid should just man up and take the abuse obviously doesn't have kids. And if they do, they should have them taken away and put with a family that actually cares.

Good point. I never thought of it that way. You should have been advising the prosecutor.

Steve, any daughter of yours woulda told the lady to STFU my daddy is the Hulk. This would not have happened to you, you are not that poor girls father. I guarantee if you were in a similar situation, the situation woulda never happened. wait did that make sense?

Ace, what he said. And I especially agree with the bolded part of your post Atom.

I understand the point you are trying to make but there is something I believe you have missed. The girl was mentally ill and the woman knew it. She callously played upon the girl's illness and twisted it to her liking.

People harass each other all the time, on one hand it is incredibly dirty, the equivalent to calling someone anonymously and harassing I suppose.

But in the end I have to say it was just that - harassment. Nothing more, nothing less. The teenagers decision to kill herself was her own choosing, in addition to the fact that her parent's are obvious uninvolved with their daughter.

People harass each other all the time, on one hand it is incredibly dirty, the equivalent to calling someone anonymously and harassing I suppose.

But in the end I have to say it was just that - harassment. Nothing more, nothing less. The teenagers decision to kill herself was her own choosing, in addition to the fact that her parent's are obvious uninvolved with their daughter.

edit:

Im glad someone stepped up to the plate here and admitting the daughters death was the parent's fault for the most part.

I understand the point you are trying to make but there is something I believe you have missed. The girl was mentally ill and the woman knew it. She callously played upon the girl's illness and twisted it to her liking.

Yep. That's exactly what makes this especially wrong. If it was just some other kid calling names, whatever, they were just being rude and can't be expected to have a full realization of how their words can do real damage.

An adult on the other hand can do a lot of damage to a child with just words, and should damn well know better.

I can't believe people would actually defend this woman. So is it okay if I head over to the local school and start yelling at the kids. "Hey you there, tubby, you're even fatter than me! Hahah loser! The world would be better off without you!"

No, it's not okay. I would be arrested, charged, and convicted of something. But wait this is the Internet, so it's okay right? Words don't hurt if you can't hear them spoken aloud right?

Did the women know the girl outside of myspace at all?

To Ace, it's a harsh world out there, once you step out of your bubble. The online world is just as harsh because its based off the real world. You dont like your mentally ill child wander the streets alone and you don't let your mentally ill child spent hours of time online with you not monitoring. Plus suicide is NOT easy. You need to make a physical choice to kill yourself so stop forgetting the obvious.

Call me desensitized but its not that serious. There's worse things going on for people to really care about this incident. Every 10 minutes a women gets raped in Africa, do I see people posting about every one of those? Nope. All we have to talk about is some women who brainwashed a retard into killing herself.

It's irrelevant if she didn't read the ToS, by clicking on Agree when the account was created, she became bound to those terms. Shrinkwrap licensing is similar (sorry if that's a bad comparison but that's what popped into my head).

Did the women know the girl outside of myspace at all?

Yes. The woman was the mother of the girls former best friend, and knew her very well.

To Ace, it's a harsh world out there, once you step out of your bubble. The online world is just as harsh because its based off the real world. You dont like your mentally ill child wander the streets alone and you don't let your mentally ill child spent hours of time online with you not monitoring. Plus suicide is NOT easy. You need to make a physical choice to kill yourself so stop forgetting the obvious.

And what would they have monitored? Her chatting on MySpace or whatever? There was nothing that would have stood out to them as being wrong. This woman posed as a teenage boy to reel the girl in and make her vulnerable before spewing her filth. To her parents it would have seemed like nothing more than innocent conversation with a boy, right up until the end. At which point all it took was for her to go upstairs after dinner and a few minutes later when her parents went up to check on her she was already dead.

Call me desensitized but its not that serious. There's worse things going on for people to really care about this incident. Every 10 minutes a women gets raped in Africa, do I see people posting about every one of those? Nope. All we have to talk about is some women who brainwashed a retard into killing herself.

There's nothing we can do about a bunch of primitives in Africa who think that raping a virgin will cure their AIDS. We can however clean up our own messes and deal with witches like this harshly.

I think everyone agrees that this was the wrong way to charge her.

I think everyone also agrees this woman is the lowest form of life on the planet.

amen.

I can't believe people would actually defend this woman. So is it okay if I head over to the local school and start yelling at the kids. "Hey you there, tubby, you're even fatter than me! Hahah loser! The world would be better off without you!"

No, it's not okay. I would be arrested, charged, and convicted of something. But wait this is the Internet, so it's okay right? Words don't hurt if you can't hear them spoken aloud right?

Regardless if I disagree with you or not, that example was Horrible. That is what is called, making up a scenario and making up a possible result. We are not defending that witch, we are defending the case. Yea a grown women talked a lot of shit to a kid? Oh well. Life sucks, get over it. I've had people talk shit to me and granted I have the plus of not being mentally ill, but I never physically manifested the idea of killing myself.

Whatever happened to an internal locus of control with people? Everything is someone else's fault entirely and you are the poor victim, devoid of any personal responsibility.

Yes. The woman was the mother of the girls former best friend, and knew her very well.

And what would they have monitored? Her chatting on MySpace or whatever? There was nothing that would have stood out to them as being wrong. This woman posed as a teenage boy to reel the girl in and make her vulnerable before spewing her filth. To her parents it would have seemed like nothing more than innocent conversation with a boy, right up until the end. At which point all it took was for her to go upstairs after dinner and a few minutes later when her parents went up to check on her she was already dead.

There's nothing we can do about a bunch of primitives in Africa who think that raping a virgin will cure their AIDS. We can however clean up our own messes and deal with witches like this harshly.

Honestly you make some valid points But umm, monitoring the internet is just the stuff I mean. She's 13! Mentally ILL! You should be checking EVERY MSG, EVERY WALL POST. It takes effort not expertise.

Regardless if I disagree with you or not, that example was Horrible. That is what is called, making up a scenario and making up a possible result. We are not defending that witch, we are defending the case. Yea a grown women talked a lot of shit to a kid? Oh well. Life sucks, get over it. I've had people talk shit to me and granted I have the plus of not being mentally ill, but I never physically manifested the idea of killing myself.

"Life sucks, get over it." isn't really a mature attitude to have.

Whatever happened to an internal locus of control with people? Everything is someone else's fault entirely and you are the poor victim, devoid of any personal responsibility.

I'm not gonna hold a 13 year old to a higher standard of responsibility than a GROWN ADULT AND MOTHER. If you think that is reasonable and that 13 year olds should all be expected to be emotionally stable then you simply are not being realistic.

Honestly you make some valid points But umm, monitoring the internet is just the stuff I mean. She's 13! Mentally ILL! You should be checking EVERY MSG, EVERY WALL POST. It takes effort not expertise.

And? They would not have found anything!

"Lets see.. messages from some boy from school, messages from some friend... nope nothing creepy here."

I don't think you even know the facts of this case. Please go read up on it before commenting further.

I don't always agree with you but this is well put.

I certainly agree with personal responsibility but for Christ sake it was a sociopath taking advantage of a emotionally fragile teenage girl. I think NKDietrich point about "When some kid gets lured into a situation and molested do you go "Lol she had it coming. She chose to get into the van." It is the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back