Guide - What MMO you should pick for your Christmas

deadplayer

n00b
1. Age of Conan(http://www.ageofconan.com) - Age of Conan is getting better after several updates, specially the big one in last month, introducing new land area, a new dungeon, new quests and hours of more adventure. Also, as far as crashes are concered, the last few patches addressed most, if not all, of the causes. The game runs great now; however, there is the occasional lag spike.

2. Atlantica Online(http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/) - The only free-to-play, turn-based MMORPG with 3d graphics. Great game play, a great market system, guilds, nations, guild dungeons, nation dungeons, shadow dungeons, PvP, PvM, crafting, and many characters to choose from, though a bit unbalance between classes.

3. chronicles of spellborn(http://www.tcos.com/) - A very new and original MMORPG which is on CBT now. Outstanding graphcis, flexible character customization, manual-targeting combat(isn't like other mmorpgs that are click, click, attack.), really creatively-designed dungeons and maps, cool and big city, quests thoughtfully designed to go with the storyline and so on. All of these deserve a try.

4. Warhammer Online(http://www.warhammeronline.com) - WoW may be better in other ways but WAR is more social and has better PvP. The PvE and RvR elements are well done IMO, theres is a strong story behind the quests that draws from Warhammers mass of lore and history and really immerses you in the Warhammer univers, like an integral part of the game. Besides, the open party thing makes it easy for casual grouping/ungrouping before you can get that group quest done!

Funny that I should read this. I and a few friends read about the updates to AoC last night and decided to reinstall it to see what's going on. I got it all going and was setting up my video options when I somehow managed to login, despite not having paid any subscription fees.

Hush. Don't tell anyone. It's possible that it's an extra day given to compensate for downtime or something, but I like to imagine they love me enough to let me play for free.

Turns out they haven't merged my servers yet, but what updates I can see do seem promising. I think this new director has potential, all that's needed now is for people to remember what a shitty start WoW had and maybe take another look with this compensation time or whatever it is. Maybe save it for late January when the servers are supposed to be done merging.

AoC was good in some ways but just terrible in others, the only reason I really played this though was for the Assassin and his stealth ability, something about being invisible and stealthing about really appeals to me, same with planetside.

I got my character to level 80 and resubbed the 2nd month at launch and found that after the first month it was pretty barron, it was fun to level to 80 but no real end game stuff to do other than do some PvP which was unsatisfying as a broken class.

There was issues with assassins damage output, there was also issues with the female attack speed in comparison to males, being a female assassin basically was like auto opt-out of groups and I was buggered if I was taking another character to 80...after I read that they didnt intend to address these issues for at least a month I decided to quit.

You cant just cripple one class completely and leave it for a month, not after people have been telling you the issues for 3 months in beta, the problems may be fixed now but they can go screw themselves for future subs, next time they can address the problems if they want to keep their players, what the fuck do we pay a monthly sub for anyway?

WAR on the other hand, great first month and took time off to play the swath of other games, and resubbed recently and having a blast again, WAAAGH!!

All these new MMO's but I keep going back to FFXI... something about it has me hooked.

WoW is fun only with friends for me, because otherwise it's just another grind, yay...

AoC looked promising but after several trials on a friends account, even making my own character, meh..

I'm waiting to see what Aion is like, looks awesome, sounds awesome, played awesome at PAX08, hope it stays on track for release soon... Lineage 2 on steroids...

I had problems too. I took a Barbarian to 61 and eventually gave in after the drops all basically being either assassin/mage spec, and our main feats and abilities fucked with to the point that we were out-DPSed by soldier classes.

I tried a few other characters, though, and found the experience to be positive overall.

All these new MMO's but I keep going back to FFXI... something about it has me hooked.

WoW is fun only with friends for me, because otherwise it's just another grind, yay...

AoC looked promising but after several trials on a friends account, even making my own character, meh..

I'm waiting to see what Aion is like, looks awesome, sounds awesome, played awesome at PAX08, hope it stays on track for release soon... Lineage 2 on steroids...

Same here with FFXI. I keep going back, play for a couple months and quit. Go back and quit. lol

Sad thing though, I've never gotten a job higher than 32(iirc) and haven't gotten passed Rank 3 San D'oria. lol

I've recently been thinking about going back again since they're about to add 3 sub-expansion packs you can only download online and their $10 each. But it just takes so long to do things in the game. Not to mention finding people to complete missions with.

Same here with FFXI. I keep going back, play for a couple months and quit. Go back and quit. lol

Sad thing though, I've never gotten a job higher than 32(iirc) and haven't gotten passed Rank 3 San D'oria. lol

I've recently been thinking about going back again since they're about to add 3 sub-expansion packs you can only download online and their $10 each. But it just takes so long to do things in the game. Not to mention finding people to complete missions with.

75smn/70blm/40whm/etc..
rank 8 windy taru male on midgardsormr
- ampidire

yeah, took me 2 years to get 75 initially, but i loved it and had fun, of course, that was when my friends still played... they've since quit, which makes going back less of a main-stay than i'd wish.

i had so much fun back in the day in my old linkshells, all the group activities and stuff, i talked to them in IM more than my real friends...

my grades reflected all of the above btw.. *cough*

I just ordered LoTR Online for like $13 shipped (♥♥♥♥♥♥♥), I'll give that a go for at least a month. Looking forward to it!!

same here for FFXI, i just came back last night again for the 3rd time. There's something about FFXI that i want to go back again, but i got discouraged late last night since bismarck server had only 1500 ppl on the server.. i'll check it out again tonight see if that increase a bit. If not, i might migrate to another server with decent population.

I picked up Warhammer a week before xmas and am loving it.

I played WoW pretty seriously for 2-3 years, took a year break before trying out WAR, and have to say I am quite impressed so far.

me too...i jsut got a 26 inch lcd hdtv for christmas and am using it as a monitor now! I cannot wait to getback in FFO wit this lol

Man, all this talk about FFXI is making me that much closer to going back. lol

Even though not online, I'm stuck on Morrowind at the moment. Maybe when I beat the main quest and a couple of guilds, I'll go back.

let me know im geting the 14 day trial right now to see if i really wanna go back...im also heading to best buy tomorrow to pick up a copy of eq2 to see if thats good.

let me know im geting the 14 day trial right now to see if i really wanna go back...im also heading to best buy tomorrow to pick up a copy of eq2 to see if thats good.

Grab the trial? I did the 7 day trial of EQ2 not too long ago, eh it is alright I guess. The game engine is great, however textures can use a real lift.

i'm on midgardsormr, but not actively in the game right now, but it's a very good fair well populated good economy nice international-relationship server.

it's also the official server for Somethingawful lol.

LoTRO is great fun and has a great community. There are a lot of people who started/started new characters with the expansion, so there's plenty going on at all levels right now. Graphics are impressive too.

Got back into AoC a little more recently due to my still unexplained game time. Enjoying it. Kind of forgotten why I stopped. The new game director seems to have been putting his/her boot up some backsides.

me too, said so in an earlier post :p

played fine at PAX08 in august.

This game LOOKS like a dream come true for me. Customization of your character on a City of Heroes level with swords and shit. haha

Waiting for this as well. My whole SG is waiting on this.

I wanted to go back to FFXI until I found out they deleted my level 60 toon for not being active for more then 6 months. They will never see my business again after that!

WAR was boring as hell IMHO. Everything was just a big zerg fest, and I could never really get a sense of accomplishment from being a badass. Sure, we have better gear then these guys, and yes we might be better players... but there are 3 of us and 5 of them. :(. I guess that is what you are to expect from big RVR games based off of attrition.

I cancelled my sub for WoW this week, though. The PVP at level 80 is so horrible. If they don't fix it soon I would bet a good 2-3% atleast will quit. (When you realize how many a few percent of multiple millions is... that is a big deal)

Side rant:
Here is what PVP was like for me...

Just dinged 80, get owned [H]ard. "Ok, I just need better gear"
Do Archavon, a bunch of BGs, come back with over 700resil, over 30k health while in bearform (I was a resto Druid). What happens? I die within a Kidney Shot or Hammer of Justice... in bear form even. I still do not even get more than a single instant heal off.
Damage is ridiculous, the average arena is 20seconds. That isn't even enough time to use a fifth of my spells. So instead of a game based around skill and strategy we have a game based around who gets the lucky first hit, or the RNG dodge and crit.

Woo! Good thing I just bought the Valve Mega Pack.

Got back into AoC a little more recently due to my still unexplained game time. Enjoying it. Kind of forgotten why I stopped. The new game director seems to have been putting his/her boot up some backsides.
Meh, they still have more problems than they can count. I wanted to like the game, but simply can't go back to it now after getting spoiled by LOTRO's new content ;).
I wanted to go back to FFXI until I found out they deleted my level 60 toon for not being active for more then 6 months. They will never see my business again after that!

Ouch, that really sucks. I have a 42 Ranger in AOC who has been inactive for 5 months, wonder if she is still alive. :rolleyes:

I'm really liking LoTRO so far, having a lot of fun running around and taking in all the scenery. Anyone who is a fan of the books would really enjoy it I think.

And EVE Online is infinity better than each one listed, so you could always try that.

Back