Guide to successfully building a computer?

i have built before, with help of friends. but i was just wondering if there is any website that shows you in detail, the details of building your own pc.

thanks.

Same here, i plan on building this summer, and i think i could do it, but this is my first build, and how many of you said that on your first build and actually got everything right?.............yeah.............guide would be a helpful sticky ;)

I'm actually writing a guide on building PC's for one of my classes. I'll put it up on here when it's finished. It'll be a couple weeks though.

Personally I had a friend help me w/ my first build and I recommend that to anyone if possible. It really helps to watch someone else do it. Remember that problems can happen to anyone, even those who have built many a machine. Figuring out the solutions is part of the 'fun'. These days, building a machine is actually pretty easy, as long as you make sure to purchase compatible parts. I would say the trickier part is installing proper drivers for the motherboard, etc.

Standpoint said:
Personally I had a friend help me w/ my first build and I recommend that to anyone if possible. It really helps to watch someone else do it. Remember that problems can happen to anyone, even those who have built many a machine. Figuring out the solutions is part of the 'fun'. These days, building a machine is actually pretty easy, as long as you make sure to purchase compatible parts. I would say the trickier part is installing proper drivers for the motherboard, etc.
i agree, the actualy physical part of the build up is a piece of cake. getting everything booted up properly and running is the tough part.

frustrating for sure, but when it's all finished and running you get that "ah" feeling like after drinking a freshly opened can of cola. :D

board2death986 said:
frustrating for sure, but when it's all finished and running you get that "ah" feeling like after drinking a freshly opened can of cola. :D

and then u get the AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH feeling when it randomly restarts an hour later...like you do when the doctor tells you yo have diabetes because of all those coke cans ;) :p

Fryguy8 said:
purchase parts
put parts in case
press power button :(

Thats pretty much how it is nowadays.

Everyone has been spoiled by jumperless motherboards and the lack of IRQ conflicts.
:p

Snotrocket said:
Everyone has been spoiled by jumperless motherboards and the lack of IRQ conflicts.

Yeah, irq conflicts, those were the good ole..oh, nevermind.

Snotrocket said:
Thats pretty much how it is nowadays.

What?!?!? We now have jumperless motherboards?! wow, i kinda guess i knew that, but i didnt relize it really, and i really havent really had much interaction with newer tech.......... :(

good luck to all the first time builders. even with irq hassles my first went ok, yours will too.
*take your time, and think logically*

Danny Bui said:
Oh and if you're afraid of ESD, one way to minimize the risk is to build the computer while totally naked. LOL! Just kidding!

Some people actually do that... don't encourage them any more!

always wear clothes !!!!

im not the slimmest of guys...and i had jsut put this PC together...wasnt wearing a shirt...

was leaning on the machine trying to reach the back ports (side panel was open) and my nipple hit the CPU fan.... :( :( it was really red for a day and constantly...erect...so whenever i put on a shirt, one would stand out... :(

Rishy said:
always wear clothes !!!!

im not the slimmest of guys...and i had jsut put this PC together...wasnt wearing a shirt...

was leaning on the machine trying to reach the back ports (side panel was open) and my nipple hit the CPU fan.... :( :( it was really red for a day and constantly...erect...so whenever i put on a shirt, one would stand out... :(

Wow, I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or be sick to my stomach :confused:

i just cursed for about 30 seconds straight....in several languages mind you... :p

if it was an aluminum fan i think you would have had a little trip to the hospital, but i don't know if they can reattach nipples. . .probably not. :confused:

<^STILL HAS A COPY of QEMM386 and wonders why peeps found it so hard to switch a couple jumpers around for IRQ, mem addy etc.

C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF I-E000-EFF
DEVICE=C:\HARDFORUM\WHATYOULOOKINGATWILLIS.COM

FILES=40
BUFFERS=15
LASTDRIVE=J
FCBS=4,0
COUNTRY=061,437,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS <N>/E:512 /P /F
STACKS=0,0

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 2048 /E
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\INTERLNK.EXE /DRIVES:6
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE

edit the good news is all of the above in my post is not required these days in building a new puter.

Back