• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Guesstimates on a new PS?

Drakan290

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
3,087
Current system is in sig, and after finally purchasing a 2nd 4850 (woo) my 750w (lol..) power supply seems to have issues keeping two cards online and crashes continuously with both cards in, while doing any sort of graphic work (fine idling). It works fine with either card, but not with both in tandem.
I have a feeling I've been ripped off with this 750w, and some may remember me asking a few months ago about the interals, which look great, but I guess are terrible.
I'm _trying_ to spend less than $100, since I'm a bit short on money..

Using the PSU calc, I found it to be @ 507w with my 'hopeful' setup (Phenom @ 3.6ghz instead of stock).

Is this correct? I was thinking a 650w will give me some playing room, but not sure if I should try for a 750w..

Any help appreciated.
 
A quality 650W PSU would fit your needs quite well. With that said, the price for a quality 750W PSU isn't that much more:
$110 - Corsair 750TX 750W PSU

Yeah I remember that thread. IIRC, I did say that I personally wouldn't trust it.
 
I don't exactly remember Nspire making that great of a PSU. I used one in a system that someone wanted me to build for them but they wanted to be too cheap. I wasn't thrilled with the build quality however it hasn't blown as of yet.
 
Any of the following will be good:

Corsair 750TX
Corsair 750HX (modular)
Corsair 850TX
Corsair 850HX (modular)
Seasonic M12D 850W
Antec TruePower TP-750W
 
Here are some other suggestions:
AZZA XF800S
Silent Pro 700W
Silent Pro 850W
Enermax Revo+ 850
 
Here are some other suggestions:
AZZA XF800S
Silent Pro 700W
Silent Pro 850W
Enermax Revo+ 850

Not to be a dick but some of those are questionable choices for a PSU:

AZZA XF800S:
Any proper review on this PSU? In fact, any kind of info about that PSU at all? The only info I've found on that PSU shows that it show up mostly in Cyberpower built PCs. It doesn't even show up on the Azza website.

Silent Pro 700W:
Good PSU no doubt about that. But for the price it's not a good choice considering that you can get the better quality Corsair 620HX for the same price.

The last two are all right for modular PSUs.
 
Here are some other suggestions:
AZZA XF800S
Silent Pro 700W
Silent Pro 850W
Enermax Revo+ 850

AZZA: Most likely a Superflower based on their other units. Decent but not particularly great.
Silent Pro 700W: Good Enhance unit, but group-regulated.
Silent Pro 850W: Good Epsilon, but also group-regulated.
Enermax: Very good PSU, but overpriced and not as good as other 850W units in the same or lower price range (Corsair HX850, Antec Signature 850W, Seasonic S12D/M12D 850W, XFX 850W, etc.).
 
Grabbed myself a HX650 today at MC, noticed huge stability increase, and having both vid cards in with no problems.

However, I started up OCCT and set a 1hr timer to go, and after about 5-7 minutes (post 1 minute waiting) the PC just straight up died and wouldn't load windows until after a 5 minute, unplugged, power cycle.
I have a CNPS 9500 AM2 (6 heatpipe or some such w/ fins) in a well ventilated mini-p180, with a 120mm fan picking up any exhaust and a 200mm fan at the top, both of high speed (at the time of the test).

Wondering if the PSU is faulty, or if possibly the old PSU tweaked the CPU enough to make it a bit unstable :(
 
Yeah, you can't go wrong with Corsair IMO... I'm running a Corsair HX1000 and loving it!
 
Back
Top