GTX980 for over 700USD?

M76

[H]F Junkie
That's not what I expected. With this pricing my 290x CF system still seems a very good investment, I paid a little over 1000USD for the two cards. I was starting to get worried that I should've waited.

Last edited:
Four models of the GTX 980 are on newegg for $570, and one of those has a $10 off gift card for $560, so close enough. Maybe you're looking at a non-US website?

That's not what I expected. With this pricing my 290x CF system still seems a very good investment, I paid a little over 1000USD for the two cards. I was starting to get worried that I should've waited.

Used mining cards 290s and 290Xs still aren't a bad buy for the money, but without some substantial price cuts, they are a poor value compared to the GTX 970.

I bought some 980 GTX cards and they cost with taxes and shipping 657.96 US Dollar each.
EVGA cards If I remember correctly ,I am going to have to check,but there are cards over 700 usd

Four models of the GTX 980 are on newegg for $570, and one of those has a $10 off gift card for $560, so close enough. Maybe you're looking at a non-US website?

I'm in EU, I was surprised that some stores already have it on stock here in the middle of the old world, and then I was surprised by the price tag even more, by the way the card is ASUS.

I bought some 980 GTX cards and they cost with taxes and shipping 657.96 US Dollar each.
EVGA cards If I remember correctly ,I am going to have to check,but there are cards over 700 usd

Used mining cards 290s and 290Xs still aren't a bad buy for the money, but without some substantial price cuts, they are a poor value compared to the GTX 970.

I paid around 450USD for my second 290x and 550USD for the first one a few months back. I don't think 970 will be cheaper than that, and afaik it's not faster than a 290x So I don't see it as having better value. Especially compared to used 290s, as you won't be able to pick up used 970s for a while.

I paid around 450USD for my second 290x and 550USD for the first one a few months back. I don't think 970 will be cheaper than that, and afaik it's not faster than a 290x

MSRP of the 970 is $330 while the MSRP of the 980 is $550. I am not sure where you are looking at for prices

OP seems to be posting from last week or something.

The cards have been released. Prices are widely available.

OP has already said that they're in the EU, so pricing may be different there after VAT and regional price increases.

You should have wait if you asked me .
New gen stuff are always better.

In Japan a reference 980 from Zotac is listed with 76000 JPY at amazon, that is solid above 730 USD , same level as my GTX 780 before

if you were in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean, it would cost to have a GTX 980 delivered:

over 9000!

I've been doing some price comparing and some models on tiger/newegg/frys are close to $700.

Funny those were the only ones still in stock when I looked too.

THey should not over price these stuff but this is what companies do, at first they list it at a high price and reduce it to normal in 2 weeks or so lol.

MSRP of the 970 is $330 while the MSRP of the 980 is $550. I am not sure where you are looking at for prices

I already said I'm in EU, in hindsight I should've stated that in the topic title.
But right now the only avaialable 980 here is $720, and the first avaialable 970s are between $450-550.

Glad I don't live in the EU.

However, that isn't stopping sellers on eBay from jacking up their prices.

Yeah, cards that ran at full capacity, 24/7, with poor ventilation, and that have non transferable warranties are totally worth it.

Last I checked MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and XFX (if you don't register) all have warranties by serial number.

That's not what I expected.

Why not? Computer stuff is almost always priced right around the same number of Euros in the EU as it is in dollars in the US. 550 Euros is about $707, so sounds about right.

Here in Australia the GTX 980 is over $700, some models even over $800, I rather buy a pair of 970's and be done with it.

You can pick up a new GTX 970 here in the UK for less than £260, including tax (e.g. at scan.co.uk). And free delivery if you qualify.

Those are good prices for a new gen GPU.

For comparison, vendors are still selling new GTX 670's between £200 to £300.

Why not? Computer stuff is almost always priced right around the same number of Euros in the EU as it is in dollars in the US. 550 Euros is about $707, so sounds about right.

Because of all the hype surrounding this launch? Anyway let's see if things settle in a few weeks, just out of curiosity. I won't be upgrading to 980s now that's for sure.

Back